[HOW-TO] Change your Boot Splash + ZIPs + Online Generator + Warning Gone + Ville/C2

Search This thread
Since it it now considered bad practice to flash hboot in recovery, I have repackaged all the zips to be fastboot flashable in RUU mode.

Recipe:

• boot your Ville into fastboot mode,
    connect USB cable,
    on your PC open a terminal window / command prompt.

• fastboot oem rebootRUU

wait for black screen with white HTC text

• fastboot flash zip modded_hboot_1.13.0000.zip
    (.. or whichever .zip you choose. It should say OKAY)

• fastboot reboot-bootloader
    To reboot into fastboot mode using the new hboot.

orig_ = unmodified, straight from the RUU.
modded_ = red warning text edited out.

Edit: @Sneakyghost:
I was just typing that :p
Step I, II and III, are already done.
In step IV, you dont have to be bootloader locked. At least not if you're S-Off. I don't know about S-On.

Edit: Added hboot 2.16 - orig and modded.

I just stumbled upon this and it looks like it might solve one of the mysteries I'm currently working on. Would you mind checking out my post (Found Here) and commenting if this would be a good way to complete the updating I want to do?

Samstag494

Oct 18, 2012
Cologne
Hey, sorry if it was asked already but I want to be really sure with things like Bootloader. Can I use the files to downgrade from 2.16 to 2.15? Im S-Off CID is T-Mobile, its unlocked and a german One S. Thanks in advance

Darknites

Jul 2, 2011
Hey, sorry if it was asked already but I want to be really sure with things like Bootloader. Can I use the files to downgrade from 2.16 to 2.15? Im S-Off CID is T-Mobile, its unlocked and a german One S. Thanks in advance

No don't use this to downgrade or you brick it. You need to ruu firmware or a full ruu.

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

darkenedpath

Sep 3, 2014
I forgot
Just want to say thanks for throwing the tools out there for others. :) I know a little about stuff, "rooting, s-off, flash firmware, blah blah blah" but im still kinda a noob, and I want to figure out how to do stuff like this, and im hoping to get the hang of making nice splash screens for my M7 with this, as long as it is still working and I can do so in recovery. Thanks man.

luiseduardomn

Jun 19, 2013
Guayaquil
HI! Bootsplash with "powered by Android" new logo!

Attachments

• bootjjj.png
    bootjjj.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 330
  • bootsplash-ville.zip
    129.4 KB · Views: 78

senselocke

Jul 13, 2015
I'm on hboot 2.15.0000 and I'd like to avoid messing with that just yet (just finally s-off and starting to mess with radios). Is there no way at all to change this for 2.15 and 2.16? Because that bootup has almost made my wife throw the phone out a bloody window at 2am.

HTC design meeting, "Hey, you know what these blokes would probably just love? Scorched retinas. Bet it's great for the AMOLED longevity to have all this blinding white everywhere."
"Make it happen!"

Darknites

Jul 2, 2011
I'm on hboot 2.15.0000 and I'd like to avoid messing with that just yet (just finally s-off and starting to mess with radios). Is there no way at all to change this for 2.15 and 2.16? Because that bootup has almost made my wife throw the phone out a bloody window at 2am.

HTC design meeting, "Hey, you know what these blokes would probably just love? Scorched retinas. Bet it's great for the AMOLED longevity to have all this blinding white everywhere."
"Make it happen!"

Splash screen isn't dependent on hboot.

senselocke

Jul 13, 2015
Splash screen isn't dependent on hboot.

But the first post says... *re-reads* ...ah. Yeah, reading the whole thing is important, eh?

So... I'm still confused. I used the webtool to generate a .zip. I have s-off and 2.15. Do I flash in fastboot or in recovery? Why does "fastboot flash splash1 splash.img" not work?

What's the final, up-to-the-minute approach please? (and thanks for the response to the very, very dumb initial question from me, instead of a simple dismissal or ignore!)

Last edited:

Darknites

Jul 2, 2011
But the first post says... *re-reads* ...ah. Yeah, reading the whole thing is important, eh?

So... I'm still confused. I used the webtool to generate a .zip. I have s-off and 2.15. Do I flash in fastboot or in recovery? Why does "fastboot flash splash1 splash.img" not work?

What's the final, up-to-the-minute approach please? (and thanks for the response to the very, very dumb initial question from me, instead of a simple dismissal or ignore!)
Flash the zip in recovery.

Reactions: touch of jobo

viperlover

Dec 22, 2015
remove the red text

hi guys ;
i need your hlps for removing red text from boot
i tried many things from the forum ,but it does'nt work.
i have htc one s 4
*****unlocked****
vle pvt ship S-OFF RL
CID-11111111-
HBOOT-2.16.0000
RADIO 0-1.20.50.05.16
using TWRP 2.6.1.0 for recovery
rom : viper one s
thank you for your help .

Bad.Fish

May 17, 2012
St. Cloud Mn
LG V60 ThinQ
LG Wing
hi guys ;
i need your hlps for removing red text from boot
i tried many things from the forum ,but it does'nt work.
i have htc one s 4
*****unlocked****
vle pvt ship S-OFF RL
CID-11111111-
HBOOT-2.16.0000
RADIO 0-1.20.50.05.16
using TWRP 2.6.1.0 for recovery
rom : viper one s
thank you for your help .
What's wrong. Tell me exactly what you did. I just did it yesterday and it works

from my HTC One S on Marshmallow biyatch.....

-kw

Jul 20, 2016
I tried flashing modded hboot 2.16 on my one s but after that /cache is not mountable anymore :( Had to reflash to orig hboot 2.16
Do you have a solution for this?

Fazentro

Mar 23, 2019
Hboot 2.16?

Update: Instead of flashing hboot in recovery, it is recommended to flash via fastboot. See post#274 for fastboot flashable zips with modded and original hboots.

Original post:
These are the original unmodified hboots as recovery-flashable zips. For all except 1.14.0005. that's the one that cat2115 made and I don't have the RUU or OTA it comes from.
All of them tested on my own device before posting. Must be S-Off.​

Could you do? Hboot 2.16 as well for the HTC one S?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can have your own custom boot splash. (This is the very first picture you see when you boot up the device. Before the boot animation. The one you also see when booting into recovery.)

Upload a picture here. (It should be 540x960 pixels. If it's not, it gets resized without preserving proportions.) It generates a .zip that you can flash in recovery.
    Or pick one from the list at the bottom of this post.

You must be on hboot 1.06 or 1.09 for this to work. If you're not, here is how to downgrade your hboot.
    If you're S-Off, this will work on any hboot version. If you're not, here is how to get S-Off.

Flashing a new boot splash does not get rid of the red "This build is for development only.." warning text. (Edit: Now that we have S-Off, you can edit out the warning text in the hboot image. I tried it. It works. But it's a dangerous thing to do if you don't do everything exactly correct.)

If you create one that you feel is especially nice, feel free to post it in this thread. ("Pics and zips please.")

/!\ So far there are (at least) 2 reports where the flashable zip did not work, but manually dd'ing the raw 565 file into mmcblk0p14 did work. If someone can point out what the update script in the zip does not do that is required to successfully flash the splash, I'd be very interested.

You can also get rid of the red warning text overlay. (If you're S-Off)

I modified a couple of hboots to edit out the warning text, and made flashable zips for them. See post #148. <-- You must be S-Off for this. If you're not you can get bricked.
    (A side effect of flashing the 1.14.0004 hboot is that your ** TAMPERED ** flag is gone, even when flashing different ones afterwards.)

-Jobo

Original post, from before it was so easy...
    If you have a 540x960px image, save/convert it to raw rgb565 (The resulting file should be 1036800 bytes.. 540x960x2) and dd it into /dev/block/mmcblk0p14.

I tested with this attached one. (That zip is not flashable. Just unzip it and dd the raw 565 file. You dont need to be in recovery, you can do it while booted.) I'm sure others can do better but this was good enough to see that it works, and I like a dark splash better than the light one.

You will still get the red 'This build is for development only' stuff overlaid tho.
    That overlay text sits in mmcblk0p12:0xBD700 by the way but I dont dare poke into that partition.

Update 2012/7/19: See post #8 to make it flashable from recovery.
    Update 2012/7/25: Looks like this will only for for hboot-1.06 and 1.09, not for 1.13 and up.
    (Unless you're S-Off)
    Update 2012/9/20: Collected all boot splashes here.
    Update 2012/10/1: Made a php thingy to generate flashable zips from a web form. See post #115.
    Update 2013/1/2: Redid this post to point at the online zip generator.
    Update 2013/2/22: Made some additions/edits regarding S-Off
    Update 2013/2/23: Added some flashable edited hboots. See post #148.
    Update 2013/3/16: Added fastboot-flashable zips, as it is now discouraged to flash hboot in recovery. See post #274
    Update 2013/6/11: Minor php script update in the online generator because I added a version for the One-M7
    Update 2013/11/22: Confirmed to work on VilleC2 as well.
    Update 2014/05/31: Added support for the Desire X
    Update 2014/07/15: Added support for the One M8
    Update 2014/07/17: Hmmm... So it turns out that the zips for the M7 also work for the Butterfly S. I had no idea.

splash-(lcambriz)-google.zip
    splash-(pagantek)-motherboard.zip
    splash-(randomnoob83)-supergirl.zip
    splash-(Stroid01)-napoli-flame-effect.zip
    splash-(Stroid01)-napoli.zip
    splash-(Stroid01)-realmadrid.zip
    splash-(TramainM)-rings.zip
    splash-black.zip
    splash-blue.zip
    splash-stock.zip
    splash-tampered.zip
    splash-viper.zip
    splash-(Orical)-aktion.zip
    splash-(ChaseMDuffin)-thc.zip
    splash-ragnarokmk2.zip
    splash-(essentialmindz)-OneS.zip
    splash-(Sneakyghost)-venomOne.zip
    fastboot

Since it it now considered bad practice to flash hboot in recovery, I have repackaged all the zips to be fastboot flashable in RUU mode.

Recipe:

• boot your Ville into fastboot mode,
      connect USB cable,
      on your PC open a terminal window / command prompt.

• fastboot oem rebootRUU

wait for black screen with white HTC text

• fastboot flash zip modded_hboot_1.13.0000.zip
      (.. or whichever .zip you choose. It should say OKAY)

• fastboot reboot-bootloader
      To reboot into fastboot mode using the new hboot.

orig_ = unmodified, straight from the RUU.
    modded_ = red warning text edited out.

Edit: @Sneakyghost:
    I was just typing that :p
    Step I, II and III, are already done.
    In step IV, you dont have to be bootloader locked. At least not if you're S-Off. I don't know about S-On.

Edit: Added hboot 2.16 - orig and modded.
    Get rid of red warning text overlay

UPDATE:

SINCE IT IS NO LONGER CONSIDERED SAFE TO FLASH HBOOT IN RECOVERY,

I HAVE PACKAGED UP ALL IMAGES AS FASTBOOT FLASHABLE ZIPS

AND POSTED THOSE UP IN POST#274

Original post:
    Now that we have S-Off, (..and ONLY if you have S-Off!!) we can get rid of the red warning text overlay that has defaced our boot splashes until now.

This build is for
    development purposes only
    Do not distribute outside of HTC
    without HTC's written permission.
    Failure to comply may
    lead to legal action.​

Using the same recipe as for the flashable splash zips, these are flashable hboot zips. They were modified to edit out the warning text; no other modifications.
    Enjoy clean custom splash. A side-effect of hboot-1.14.0004 is that it clears the ** TAMPERED ** flag, even if you flash a different one afterwards.

I tested all 4 (edit: 7) of these on my own device. But as always, flash at own risk. You're writing to a critical part of your phone. If anything goes wrong along the way, you might be bricked.

-Jobo

Update: added 1.14.0005 (by cat2115).
    Update: added 1.09.0000
    Update: DO NOT FLASH THESE IF YOU'RE NOT S-OFF!!
    Update: Also posted flashable zips with the original unmodified hboots. See post #212.
    Update: /!\ [2013-03-15] We have a BRICK on an S-OFF device!! ("flash at own risk" is no longer just a phrase..)
    Lately there has been a series of TWRP recoveries that have issues flashing (some?) ROMs. It's possible that this brick is related to flashing an hboot image with it. I don't know this for a fact, but for now I don't recommend flashing hboot images using any TWRP version higher than 2.3.3.0 (until I know more).
    Update: fastboot flashable zips now available in post#274. Those are recommended over the ones from this post.
    Does the name have to be the same..
    The name doesn't matter, but the contents must be raw rgb565 data.
    Just put the file on your sdcard, and then from an adb shell, dd it into mmcblk0p14.
    -Jobo

Edit: Attachment is flashable in recovery. You can just replace the file in /cache/
    Edit: To work around the 20 attachment limit, I use this post to 'host' flashable zips to link to from post #1.
    original unmodified hboots as recovery-flashable zips

Update: Instead of flashing hboot in recovery, it is recommended to flash via fastboot. See post#274 for fastboot flashable zips with modded and original hboots.

Original post:
    These are the original unmodified hboots as recovery-flashable zips. For all except 1.14.0005. that's the one that cat2115 made and I don't have the RUU or OTA it comes from.
    All of them tested on my own device before posting. Must be S-Off.​