[Q] How to Reroot after OTA update to HTC EVO 4g let

Search This thread

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
If you don't choose to S-off, you can update via OTA, then use HTC Dev to unlock your bootloader. Afterwards, you can install TWRP and flash a rooted ROM.

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

Reactions: ashemountain

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
If that makes it easier, then okay. I'll get S-off. I just wasn't sure and the update requirements for Mean Rom are hefty for me. Thanks.

Read the guide in the link below. You'll understand why S-off is the way to go.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2256478

Yes, it takes a few minutes of your time, but it's worth the trouble to do it and get it done, particularly given some of the restrictions HTC has put in place on the newer bootloaders (even after unlocking the bootloader there are still restrictions).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You'll have to do the HTCDev unlock method (best way is through RegawMod). That's the only way right now.

actually the best way is htc dev using the adb tools mini sdk, regawmod has not been fixed and there are a lot of users complaining that they get stuck. To me it only takes a little common sense to solve 90% of the issues using regawmod but some people need their hands held and that thread is slowly boiling down to the worlds most repetitive support desk.

HTC Dev Unlock

Requirements
    HTC Drivers
    ADB Tools Mini SDK

Setup
    1. Install HTC Drivers if necessary
    2. Extract ADB Tools anywhere, doesnt matter
    3. Open ADB Tools and hold shift+right click, select open command window here
    4. In phone settings, enable usb debugging and disable fasboot
    5. Connect the phone to pc

Steps
    1. In the command window type adb start-server
    2. Next type adb reboot bootloader
    3. Select fastboot
    4. Type fastboot devices to make sure you are connected
    5. Type fastboot oem get_identifier_token
    6. Right click and select mark, click and drag from the top arrows to the bottom arrows and make sure not to highlight any empty spaces as this will confuse the website, right click and it will be saved to clipboard
    7. Now go to HTC Dev and if you don't already have an account, sign up for it
    8. Go to unlock bootloader and select other supported models and accept the agreements
    9. Skip the steps until you get the to token submit window and paste the token you copied earlier and submit.
    10. Go to your email and download the unlock_bin code
    11. Put the code in the ADB Tools folder
    12. Type fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
    13. When the phone prompt comes up to unlock bootloader hit yes, now you are unlocked, re-enable usb debugging and disable fastboot
    14. Type adb reboot bootloader
    15. Type fastboot devices to make sure phone connected
    16. Type fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.0-jewel.img
    17. Type erase cache
    Reboot phone and you will have unlock and recovery, all thats missing is to restart phone in bootloader and select recovery to flash a rom. Wipe Dalvik, cache, Factory reset, system and then install the rom. If it doesn't boot, extract the boot.img from the rom and put it in the adb folder and in fastboot type fastboot flash boot boot.img and reboot
    If I want to completely update my phone (Android 4.0.3, Soft ver 1.22.651, baseband 1.02 because I pretty much got the phone the phone in December and immediately rooted it), will this method work? I'd really like to get Mean Rom but obviously, I'm in need of a few updates and I'm trying to figure out the simplest way to get there. It seems like doing all the official updates and then re-rooting and then installing MR would be the simplest way to do it buuuuut better to ask and be wrong and pointed in the right direction than screw everything up.

Why don't you try getting S-off, then updating everything without having to unroot & root again?

If that makes it easier, then okay. I'll get S-off. I just wasn't sure and the update requirements for Mean Rom are hefty for me. Thanks.

Read the guide in the link below. You'll understand why S-off is the way to go.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2256478

Yes, it takes a few minutes of your time, but it's worth the trouble to do it and get it done, particularly given some of the restrictions HTC has put in place on the newer bootloaders (even after unlocking the bootloader there are still restrictions).

Hi Everyone,

I accidentally hit the OTA update (software ver. 1.22.651.3 710RD) for my rooted HTC EVO 4G LTE phone (whoops!). I have SuperSU Pro with Survival Mode activated but that didn't work. I never installed special ROMs and primarily used ROOT for Tethering.

At any rate, my root is now gone and I can't find any discussions about how to re-root after an OTA update. I don't want to screw up my phone any further since it seems to be working ok otherwise.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

You'll have to do the HTCDev unlock method (easiest way is through RegawMod). That's the only way right now.
    Why don't you try getting S-off, then updating everything without having to unroot & root again?

What he said :D

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app