FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REQUEST] My Devices additions

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,274
 
By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 11th July 2013, 12:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
First of all I'd like to say thanks for adding the option to list our devices on our profile without having to use our signatures.

Now, onto the request. While adding my devices, I tested it to see if I could add a device which doesn't have a forum on XDA. (Even though I don't have the device, I tried to add the Micromax Canvas HD and it wouldn't add it purely because there's no for it here for it.) So, would it be possible to add devices which also don't have a forum on here?

I guess @svetius would be the best person to ask
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KidCarter93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KidCarter93 Ad-Free
11th July 2013, 04:52 PM |#3  
svetius's Avatar
User Experience Admin
Thanks Meter: 7,224
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCarter93

First of all I'd like to say thanks for adding the option to list our devices on our profile without having to use our signatures.

Now, onto the request. While adding my devices, I tested it to see if I could add a device which doesn't have a forum on XDA. (Even though I don't have the device, I tried to add the Micromax Canvas HD and it wouldn't add it purely because there's no for it here for it.) So, would it be possible to add devices which also don't have a forum on here?

I guess @svetius would be the best person to ask

We're still deciding if want to do this. If we allow a wildcard, people can put whatever they want in there, even profanity, etc. So...file under "maybe".
The Following User Says Thank You to svetius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift svetius Ad-Free
11th July 2013, 05:42 PM |#4  
KidCarter93's Avatar
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Coventry, UK
Thanks Meter: 7,274
 
10
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by svetius

We're still deciding if want to do this. If we allow a wildcard, people can put whatever they want in there, even profanity, etc. So...file under "maybe".

I don't believe that would really be a big problem though because even though there's an obvious chance it could happen, the same could be said for Location but, from what I've seen, the most people use it for is Likes and Dislikes.

A way around it could be a database of all devices (both on and off XDA) and only allow what's on that list. Basically an extension of the current system. I realise it would be a lot if work to keep such a list updated though as lots of devices are churned out by lesser known manufacturers.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidCarter93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KidCarter93 Ad-Free
29th December 2018, 09:07 PM |#5  
Ibuprophen's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York
Thanks Meter: 6,561
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by svetius

We're still deciding if want to do this. If we allow a wildcard, people can put whatever they want in there, even profanity, etc. So...file under "maybe".

I hate to be a bother @svetius...

I had seen a recent question from another member regarding this topic and saw this thread after performing a quick search.

Though this thread is a bit older, I was just curious as to any decisions made regarding this (or maybe @MikeChannon might have some information regarding this as well).

Thank you very much!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.
31st December 2018, 12:43 PM |#6  
MikeChannon's Avatar
Forum Admin
Thanks Meter: 12,325
 
10
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuprophen

I hate to be a bother @svetius...

I had seen a recent question from another member regarding this topic and saw this thread after performing a quick search.

Though this thread is a bit older, I was just curious as to any decisions made regarding this (or maybe @MikeChannon might have some information regarding this as well).

Thank you very much!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.


Haha, yes, I think we can say 5/6 years later it was decided not to add the ability to add a device that's not got a set of forums officially listed here. Aside from it being a way to state what devices you have it was also meant as a way to link other users to our other internal forums. The ability for folk (and there are always some) to abuse a system that allows wildcards was and is a concern too.


Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeChannon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MikeChannon Ad-Free
31st December 2018, 06:10 PM |#7  
svetius's Avatar
User Experience Admin
Thanks Meter: 7,224
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChannon

Haha, yes, I think we can say 5/6 years later it was decided not to add the ability to add a device that's not got a set of forums officially listed here. Aside from it being a way to state what devices you have it was also meant as a way to link other users to our other internal forums. The ability for folk (and there are always some) to abuse a system that allows wildcards was and is a concern too.


Mike

Yes, this.

If we don't have a forum for your device, feel free to yell at us, especially @MikeChannon who loves to be yelled at just ask his wife
The Following User Says Thank You to svetius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift svetius Ad-Free
31st December 2018, 06:43 PM |#8  
Ibuprophen's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York
Thanks Meter: 6,561
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by svetius

Yes, this. If we don't have a forum for your device, feel free to yell at us, especially @MikeChannon who loves to be yelled at just ask his wife

I hear it's worse to be yelled at by a Scottish Woman than an American one...

Is this true @MikeChannon?

LMAO!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.
31st December 2018, 09:28 PM |#9  
MikeChannon's Avatar
Forum Admin
Thanks Meter: 12,325
 
10
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuprophen

I hear it's worse to be yelled at by a Scottish Woman than an American one...

Is this true @MikeChannon?


Not sure but we eat a lot of hot noodles here err... hear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gCsfDOi5vc


Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeChannon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MikeChannon Ad-Free
18th October 2019, 05:14 PM |#10  
Necro!!! Lol, I work with a lot of sbcs and as such can't add devices... Aka pine phone, Khadas vim3l, Asus tinkerboard, odroid c2, n2, xu4, rockpro64, pinea64.
18th October 2019, 06:38 PM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by godkingofcanada

Necro!!! Lol, I work with a lot of sbcs and as such can't add devices... Aka pine phone, Khadas vim3l, Asus tinkerboard, odroid c2, n2, xu4, rockpro64, pinea64.

Your only option is request that a forum section be created for each of those devices.
New device request thread
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1660354
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes