[OFFICIAL][RECOVERY] Cannibal Open Touch v3.0 Alpha Builds (latest: Alpha 11)

Search This thread

drewwalton19216801

Dec 29, 2010
Denver
Cannibal Open Touch 3.0 Alpha 11

Disclaimer:
While we try to test our work as much as possible, it is always a possibility that something could go wrong and screw up your phone. We are not responsible for any damage that is done to your device, either directly or indirectly, as a result of using Cannibal Open Touch or any other Project Open Cannibal projects. Any damage done to your device is your responsibility and your responsibility only. We do this for fun, and we simply like to share our work.

What is Cannibal Open Touch?
Cannibal Open Touch is a custom recovery (like ClockworkMod or TWRP), created purely out of love for the platform and the desire to contribute something cool to the community. The name embodies everything that Cannibal Open Touch is. We take what we believe are the best features of popular recoveries like TWRP and ClockworkMod and, well, cannibalize them along with rolling out our own features.

Features:
  • Full Touch UI
  • Complete theme support, including app for management of themes (we'll get to that in a sec)
  • On-device backup and restore
  • Backup and restore via ADB
  • Much much more planned!

Bugs:
  • During installation, the standard Android installing icon gets displayed instead of the custom dialog box.
If you find a bug, please do not report it here! Instead, report it in the GitHub repository!

Screenshots
See the Screenshots tab above. (Or click me if you're using Tapatalk!)

Nandroid has been replaced!
Nandroid is in fact gone, and has been replaced with a much more robust backup solution. Backups can now be made either with ADB (the recommended way) or via the new Backup and Restore item in the main menu. Backups made via the built-in menu can be copied to a PC and restored via ADB, and backups made via ADB can likewise be copied to your device and restored using the Backup and Restore menu.
Code:
adb backup -f mybackupfilename.ab boot system data cache
You can also restore said backup by using adb, like so:
Code:
adb restore mybackupfilename.ab

Downloads:
Cannibal Open Touch hammerhead builds (latest: CannibalOpenTouch-2.99.11_hammerhead-2015032623.img)

How to install:
  1. Download the latest Alpha image
  2. Reboot to bootloader:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
  3. Flash the image with fastboot
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery /path/to/downloaded/recovery.img
  4. Boot into recovery mode
Alternatively, you may boot the image instead of flashing it:
Code:
fastboot boot /path/to/downloaded/recovery.img

Changelog:

Changelog:
3.0 Alpha 11 (2.99.11)
  • Lots, lots, and lots of changes.
3.0 Alpha 10 (2.99.10)
  • Themes are now stored in /cache/cot/themes to fix an issue introduced with FDE.
3.0 Alpha 9 (2.99.9)
  • Real menu scrolling! (but volume keys still work)
  • All backup/restore operations now verify that you want to take action
  • Resized UI to be more usable on all device resolutions
  • Themes can now display a battery charge indicator (depends on individual theme settings)
3.0 Alpha 8 (2.99.8) (not released)
  • Not released
3.0 Alpha 7 (2.99.7)
3.0 Alpha 6 (2.99.6)
  • Complete theme support
  • Recovery settings (Theme settings and Unsigned ZIP flashing)
The preceding list is not 100% complete. See the project source code page for the full commit list.

Cannibal Open Touch themes app:
We are currently seeking Alpha testers for an app that will let users download and choose themes without rebooting to recovery mode. Currently there are 20 slots open. If you wish to join please PM me. The only requirement is you must have a Google+ account and are willing to submit proper bug reports, should any arise.

Cannibal Open Touch Themes:
You can now make your own themes for Cannibal Open Touch! See the example themes (it's pretty self-explanatory). Themes must be installed in /sdcard/cot/themes/theme_name (or /data/media/cot/themes/theme_name) in order to work. Please feel free to submit pull requests to have your custom themes added to the theme repository. They will also be packaged and made available to download via the Cannibal Themes app (mentioned above)!

Contribute to Project Open Cannibal
If you like our work and want to see more, consider a donation to the project!

Project Open Cannibal gerrit: http://review.projectopencannibal.org

Credits:
tdm, for the superb touch code (and lots more)
sblood86, for joining the project and leading the charge to greatness
thenameisnigel, for picking up our webhosting while I was gone
anyone else who has ever contributed to any Android-related project

XDA:DevDB Information
Cannibal Open Touch, Tool/Utility for the Google Nexus 5

Contributors
drewwalton19216801, Sblood86, thenameisnigel, tdm, CyanogenMod, Koush and many others
Source Code: https://github.com/ProjectOpenCannibal/android_bootable_recovery

Version Information

Created 2014-08-01
Last Updated 2015-03-27

Attachments

• 01_MainMenu.png
    01_MainMenu.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 17,628
  • 02_SettingsMenu.png
    02_SettingsMenu.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 17,025
  • 03_ThemeChooser.png
    03_ThemeChooser.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 16,817
  • 04_CitrusTheme.png
    04_CitrusTheme.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 15,412
  • 05_DooderbuttTheme.png
    05_DooderbuttTheme.png
    152 KB · Views: 15,028
  • 06_IngressTheme.png
    06_IngressTheme.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 14,412
  • 07_NextbitTheme.png
    07_NextbitTheme.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 13,886
  • 08_ZipVerif.png
    08_ZipVerif.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 12,996
  • 09_ZipVerifChoice.png
    09_ZipVerifChoice.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 12,679
Last edited:

or965

Mar 2, 2013
New RECOVERY:)
Just now I did fresh install of 4.4.4 and need to install root and recovery agin ,HAVE TO INTSALL THIS NEW RECOVERY :p
I will report bugs if I will found and Share my Experience .
sorry for my bad english

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 29, 2010
Denver
New RECOVERY:)
Just now I did fresh install of 4.4.4 and need to install root and recovery agin ,HAVE TO INTSALL THIS NEW RECOVERY :p
I will report bugs if I will found and Share my Experience .
sorry for my bad english

Sounds good, let us know what you think. Remember though that this is a very early alpha build (it's stable, but feature-completeness is maybe 5%).

LeJolly

May 29, 2013
Never heard of this, sounds cool! Could you possibly implement encrypted backups at least?

SacredDeviL666

Retired Senior Moderator - May You Rest in Peace -
Sep 11, 2008
¤No Man's Land¤
Not yet, but it should be in a later build.

Definitely something we'll be considering, but for now we're building out the UI and making sure things that need to work do.

also if the tab options are little bigger in size... its too tiny to touch them i was using the volume keys to control mostly and not able to use the actual touch experience as the tabs were small...

maybe i got a thick finger if so please ignore :D

drewwalton19216801

Dec 29, 2010
Denver
also if the tab options are little bigger in size... its too tiny to touch them i was using the volume keys to control mostly and not able to use the actual touch experience as the tabs were small...

maybe i got a thick finger if so please ignore :D

That's one of those usability things we like to get feedback on. Upping the size of the touch items shouldn't be a big issue at all. Thanks for the feedback!

Shanks

Oct 21, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I just tried this recovery.... I tried flashing like 5 zips i think and all of them failed. But some other worked
Also i think we should have a confirmation button, i noticed if i touch a file it would get flashed as soon as i touch it, not complaining. Just reporting, wish i could provide you with a log cat

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

EPayne123

Jan 11, 2010
Fort Myers
Its a good idea to keep AB files instead of "nandroid" files on your computer and stored away from the device BUT what if you need it on the fly? You still want that option due to possibly needing it on the fly and I don't want to be forced into getting an OTG card reader JUST to be able to use a recovery. Just my thoughts and giving my opinion, awesome idea though.

Reactions: 4peace1

melbourne408

Dec 8, 2010
San Jose, CA
One quick note, if you attempt to wipe you'll loose your entire /SD.

Plus, if you had an encryption password, it will be gone when you reboot; phone will show unencrypted.
After that I went back to TWRP 2.7.1.1, did a complete wipe, fastboot oem locked and unlocked (The whole shebang.) Flashed a different rom. Went to encrypt my device and was given a slew of force closes.
Have never seen that before, I wish you the best of luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cannibal Open Touch 3.0 Alpha 11

Disclaimer:
    While we try to test our work as much as possible, it is always a possibility that something could go wrong and screw up your phone. We are not responsible for any damage that is done to your device, either directly or indirectly, as a result of using Cannibal Open Touch or any other Project Open Cannibal projects. Any damage done to your device is your responsibility and your responsibility only. We do this for fun, and we simply like to share our work.

What is Cannibal Open Touch?
    Cannibal Open Touch is a custom recovery (like ClockworkMod or TWRP), created purely out of love for the platform and the desire to contribute something cool to the community. The name embodies everything that Cannibal Open Touch is. We take what we believe are the best features of popular recoveries like TWRP and ClockworkMod and, well, cannibalize them along with rolling out our own features.

Features:
    • Full Touch UI
    • Complete theme support, including app for management of themes (we'll get to that in a sec)
    • Backup and restore via ADB
    • Much much more planned!

Bugs:
    • During installation, the standard Android installing icon gets displayed instead of the custom dialog box.
    If you find a bug, please do not report it here! Instead, report it in the GitHub repository!

Screenshots
    See the Screenshots tab above. (Or click me if you're using Tapatalk!)

Nandroid has been replaced!
    Nandroid is in fact gone, and has been replaced with a much more robust backup solution. Backups can now be made either with ADB (the recommended way) or via the new Backup and Restore item in the main menu. Backups made via the built-in menu can be copied to a PC and restored via ADB, and backups made via ADB can likewise be copied to your device and restored using the Backup and Restore menu.
    Code:
    adb backup -f mybackupfilename.ab boot system data cache
    You can also restore said backup by using adb, like so:
    Code:
    adb restore mybackupfilename.ab

Downloads:
    Cannibal Open Touch hammerhead builds (latest: CannibalOpenTouch-2.99.11_hammerhead-2015032623.img)

How to install:
    1. Download the latest Alpha image
    2. Reboot to bootloader:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    3. Flash the image with fastboot
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery /path/to/downloaded/recovery.img
    4. Boot into recovery mode
    Alternatively, you may boot the image instead of flashing it:
    Code:
    fastboot boot /path/to/downloaded/recovery.img

Changelog:

Changelog:
    3.0 Alpha 11 (2.99.11)
    • Lots, lots, and lots of changes.
    3.0 Alpha 10 (2.99.10)
    • Themes are now stored in /cache/cot/themes to fix an issue introduced with FDE.
    3.0 Alpha 9 (2.99.9)
    • Real menu scrolling! (but volume keys still work)
    • All backup/restore operations now verify that you want to take action
    • Resized UI to be more usable on all device resolutions
    • Themes can now display a battery charge indicator (depends on individual theme settings)
    3.0 Alpha 8 (2.99.8) (not released)
    • Not released
    3.0 Alpha 7 (2.99.7)
    3.0 Alpha 6 (2.99.6)
    • Complete theme support
    • Recovery settings (Theme settings and Unsigned ZIP flashing)
    The preceding list is not 100% complete. See the project source code page for the full commit list.

Cannibal Open Touch themes app:
    We are currently seeking Alpha testers for an app that will let users download and choose themes without rebooting to recovery mode. Currently there are 20 slots open. If you wish to join please PM me. The only requirement is you must have a Google+ account and are willing to submit proper bug reports, should any arise.

Cannibal Open Touch Themes:
    You can now make your own themes for Cannibal Open Touch! See the example themes (it's pretty self-explanatory). Themes must be installed in /sdcard/cot/themes/theme_name (or /data/media/cot/themes/theme_name) in order to work. Please feel free to submit pull requests to have your custom themes added to the theme repository. They will also be packaged and made available to download via the Cannibal Themes app (mentioned above)!

Contribute to Project Open Cannibal
    If you like our work and want to see more, consider a donation to the project!

Project Open Cannibal gerrit: http://review.projectopencannibal.org

Credits:
    tdm, for the superb touch code (and lots more)
    sblood86, for joining the project and leading the charge to greatness
    thenameisnigel, for picking up our webhosting while I was gone
    anyone else who has ever contributed to any Android-related project

XDA:DevDB Information
    Cannibal Open Touch, Tool/Utility for the Google Nexus 5

Contributors
    drewwalton19216801, Sblood86, thenameisnigel, tdm, CyanogenMod, Koush and many others
    Source Code: https://github.com/ProjectOpenCannibal/android_bootable_recovery

Version Information

Created 2014-08-01
    Last Updated 2015-03-27
    Try to add mulirom support and beautiful themes, otherwise it's dead project

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    MultiROM support is definitely something we'll be looking into, but because I don't personally use it I can't guarantee anything. We also build for a ton of devices, a vast majority of which do not support MultiROM in the first place.

As for beautiful themes, feel free to make your own (we'll have a tutorial soon-ish). We're developers not designers.

As for the lack of MultiROM making this a dead project....

We do this because we like to and we don't get paid for it. We will add features as we see fit. Feel free to submit patches to our project github repository.

All that having been said, we absolutely do appreciate feature requests. But saying a project will fail if it doesn't have a specific feature you want? That's way out of line.
    Alpha builds will be halted until further notice. New Lollipop recovery code is coming soon :D
    Just found this thread, and am curious about some things.

First, if I install this via flashify, would I be able to use the flashable recovery zips to go to twrp or cwm, if I need to?

Second, since I'm just finding this, should I wait for the next release? Is there going to be that big of a change?

Third, twrp has been having issues between 2.8.1.0 and 2.8.2.0 and the new SuperSU versions 2.35 and 2.36...its been kind of a crazy debacle....So that leads to, has anyone, experienced aaanny of these kinds of issues with SuperSU or any kind of issues related to 5.0?

Fourth, looking at the screenshots of the recovery menu, I'm not seeing an area where I can choose a particular partition to wipe/format, say....maybe just cache, or just the system individual of factory reset.

And last, I read in the description that this is a different take on a recovery, and things like the backup feature are more robust. Without getting too technical, can you explain why you guys think that feature in particular is a more robust solution, and why the COT recovery is a better recovery solution for Android?

P.S. I totally love that there is an Ingress theme, and that it's blue!
    Just found this thread, and am curious about some things.

First, if I install this via flashify, would I be able to use the flashable recovery zips to go to twrp or cwm, if I need to?

Second, since I'm just finding this, should I wait for the next release? Is there going to be that big of a change?

Third, twrp has been having issues between 2.8.1.0 and 2.8.2.0 and the new SuperSU versions 2.35 and 2.36...its been kind of a crazy debacle....So that leads to, has anyone, experienced aaanny of these kinds of issues with SuperSU or any kind of issues related to 5.0?

Fourth, looking at the screenshots of the recovery menu, I'm not seeing an area where I can choose a particular partition to wipe/format, say....maybe just cache, or just the system individual of factory reset.

And last, I read in the description that this is a different take on a recovery, and things like the backup feature are more robust. Without getting too technical, can you explain why you guys think that feature in particular is a more robust solution, and why the COT recovery is a better recovery solution for Android?

P.S. I totally love that there is an Ingress theme, and that it's blue!

1. I don't see why not.

2. You can go ahead and flash now, the next build won't be out for a short while.

3. I haven't experienced any such issues with SuperSU.

4. Your eyes do not deceive you, a fully fledged partition management menu has not been implemented (yet!).

5. The new backup system is more robust in some areas and less robust in others. For example, Nandroid splits files up so FAT32 partitions can store them. This is something we're researching but is highly difficult to do. But, you can backup via ADB which bypasses that and also bypasses the security implications of storing your personal data on your device.

Holy schnikes, I haven't read the OP in the times I've kind of brushed by this forum and didn't dig deeper....the ability to restore a backup via ADB would've been most helpful the 3 times in the last month and a half I've completely borked something on my N5 and had to start from scratch, in the process spending the better part of a work-day and a half getting things back up and running (and learning a lot about fastboot and ADB in the process.) I'm off work this Friday, time to get this puppy up and running :)

EDIT: Quick question- I tried searching the GitHub and looked through the forum here, didn't find any mention of backup compression to save space on local/phone-stored backups, is this a feature? I could only weasel the 16GB N5 from my wife vs. the 32GB, so space gets to be at a premium for a flashaholic :)

Technically the backups are gzipped, but if space is really at a premium I recommend going the ADB backup route (which stores the backup on your PC).