[Q] hd2 Touch screen not working any more

Search This thread

noaduch

Nov 21, 2010
I was so exited with the nand flashing that I flashed from WM 6.5 to diferend Android roms to WM7 back to android and now my touch screen is not responsive any mores.
Can this be because of nand flashing or is my phone just broken???

nobnut

Feb 27, 2010
Hi,

This has been reported by a few people. It appears to be just a hardware issue and nothing to do with flashing Android.

Some have reported just part of (the bottom part) the screen becoming insensitive. For some it only happens sporadically, for others it is a permanent problem.

I undertsand repairs can be made to the phone, or if you are still within the warranty period... return it once you have removed evidence of your flashing etc.

Good luck

EsVee

Nov 27, 2010
Same here

Efffff My Life......... Errrrrrrrrrrrr i bought this.

Full LCD Display + Touch Screen Digitizer (fit together solderless already) for HTC HD2 HD 2 ii Leo T8585 T-Mobile ~ Replacement Repair Pasts

from Amazon

i'll let u guys know how i did. wish me luck.:confused:

Reactions: alexandruvlad

pl55

Oct 18, 2006
Another one for the list :mad: - upgrade to Android NAND a few weeks ago . Now the screen is completely not working . Tried several methods ie. Press hard at buttons, etc sometimes OK but now Completely unresponsive. What make it worse is that out of warranty ( bought Aug 2009 ).
How many HD2 have touchscreen problem after Android NAND upgrade ????

mystik610

Aug 18, 2007
seems to be an android issue than anything. could the android color density have anything to do with it?

Just got off the phone with t-mobile and they're replacing my phone which has the same issues.

According to the service tech I spoke to, this is starting to happen to HD2's more frequently (including his own). I'm wondering if Android and the increasing number of people putting Android on their phones has anything to do with it. The service tech I spoke to sounded pretty young, and it wouldn't suprised me if he's tweaked his phone too.

My HD2 gets really hot when using Android....particularly when its booting. Excessive heat wreaks all sorts of havoc on electrical systems/devices, and it wouldn't suprise me if the heat is causing damage to the digitizer (ie melting contact points)

The metal backing and rubber case don't help either.

I'm under warranty so it's not too big of a deal for me, other than the inconvenience. Looks like I'll have to bust out the old iPhone 2g for a week!

lude219

Jul 13, 2008
Huntington Beach, CA
I hear ya...

Both on android SD and NAND, i did feel that the phone runs a bit warmer than on winmo. I'm not an expert in android or anything, but does the 16M color on android has something to do with it? I don't know if it's a graphics driver issue or hardware, but something tells me the HD2's stock capacitive screen couldn't handle that much color cramming down it's pipeline.

Ski_Messiah

Aug 14, 2010
Hardware issue

I am almost sure that it is a hardware issue because I took a heat gun on low to the front my hd2 (closer to the ADC or "digitzer") around the corner where the red or yellow on/off button is and it fixed the problem for about 4 days till a went to a concert and left the phone in my pocket while I danced and it stopped working again... decided to just give up and got a new one through asurion insurance

mystik610

Aug 18, 2007
I hear ya...

Both on android SD and NAND, i did feel that the phone runs a bit warmer than on winmo. I'm not an expert in android or anything, but does the 16M color on android has something to do with it? I don't know if it's a graphics driver issue or hardware, but something tells me the HD2's stock capacitive screen couldn't handle that much color cramming down it's pipeline.

I hear ya...

The HD2's screen was designed to handle 16M color...the HD2 was designed under the presumption that it would be upgradable to WP7.

I think what's causing a lot of issues are the hacked drivers (including the graphics drivers) needed to run the Android ports. They don't run as efficiently as the stock drivers, consume more battery, and in turn generate more heat.

Reactions: lude219

Towserspvm2000

Dec 22, 2004
Wales
My touch screen started to play up last week - wouldnt unlock via the slider on a flashed Android rom. Reflashed the phone thinking it would cure it, but it didn't. Reformatted the card, and then flashed a different Android rom. Worked for a few minutes, then stuck. Reflashed a WM rom, and the touch screen gave up altogether. Left it a day, and it worked, but when I switched the phone off, and back on, it wouldn't.

Phone was 2 days outside of the Tmobile warranty, but I've sent it back to them as the HTC phones in Europe are covered by a two year warranty....

I have nothing to lose anyway!

rizvig

Apr 17, 2007
Lahore
its been 4 months i am going through this this problem. Heating the screen is the best solution. But i founf WM rom which likely is fixing the problem. It happens because of andriod and i am pretty sure about it as i have done thousands of experiments on it. Now in background i run that WM rom and then andriod and never faced any problem.

vicky_crispy

Aug 19, 2008
New Delhi
Samsung Galaxy A50s
HD2 touch screen not responding

I am using HTC HD2 since last 1 year..Its out of warranty right now & I recently flashed "ANDROI_PPC-SHIFTPDA_GingerBread_2.3.2_WP7S_V1_NAND_(07.Feb)" & it was all working fine unless yesterday when my 7 months old labrador chew the top right corner of my phone while it was in d cover..Got a slight crack in the glas/lcd..However it is still functional..I mean no color spill or abnormal behaviour in terms of display..except the touch screen has stopped working now..I've tried hard reset..soft reset several times but it doesn't seem to be working...Its driving me insane & I dont know what to do as my phone is out of warrranty...I remember I had a TyTN II 2-3 years ago & got its lcd split/broken somehows & HTC service center charged me INR 4000 / USD $88 to replace it...Though times have changed & HD2 definitely is a much complex device comparatively..So would cost me much more if i give it to them...Just went thru a video on youtube "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdihThJFyz4" in which tutorial for HTC leo's screen & digitizer replacement is mentioned. Im really not sure where the problem lies. Because it was perfectly fine till yesterday before i woke up this morning & realized that my dog has done a lil munching on my HD2..Any suggestions ???:confused::mad:

Decoid

Feb 24, 2010
Aarhus C
I'm glad to hear that it's not just my phone...

I upgraded to nand aswell and it worked perfectly ever since the first android upgrades came out.. Then about a week ago my screen started messing with me.. Sometimes the lockscreen didn't respond at all, and then it would require like 3-4 reboots before it did? Suddenly one day it stopped working, I did a hard reset and it worked for half a day. Now it's totally nonresponding and I'm going to send it to the repaircenter.... I asked them if messing with the software was a problem, but he said that it didn't matter and that I shouldn't bother to reset the software.. It didn't void the warranty in any way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same ploblem here, and my solution is on the end call botton, just push a bit hard and moved it around for few seconds and that will make screen respond again , at least is a temp fix untill you change the touch screen ,looks like the problem is on the plug under the end botton , hope this works for you ...;)
    Same here

Efffff My Life......... Errrrrrrrrrrrr i bought this.

Full LCD Display + Touch Screen Digitizer (fit together solderless already) for HTC HD2 HD 2 ii Leo T8585 T-Mobile ~ Replacement Repair Pasts

from Amazon

i'll let u guys know how i did. wish me luck.:confused:
    I hear ya...

I hear ya...

The HD2's screen was designed to handle 16M color...the HD2 was designed under the presumption that it would be upgradable to WP7.

I think what's causing a lot of issues are the hacked drivers (including the graphics drivers) needed to run the Android ports. They don't run as efficiently as the stock drivers, consume more battery, and in turn generate more heat.
    I have not used android at all, only WM6.5. But after update got same proble :(
    I think it is a tru age do his job.
    well, i will try to sort out some of the "myths" relating the touchscreen

1. touchscreen fails because of color reproduction by the display (16mil color problem etc) FALSE

Yep, the touchscreen is placed just above the display and most people think of it like a part of the display itself. In fact, from the electronics point of view, it has nothing to do with the display. It's not connected electrically to the display, not even to the graphic processing chip. It has nothing to do with them. To try to make an analogy, the touchscreen is to the phone like a mouse or keyboard is to a PC. A peripheral device used for data input. It connects to a different jack on the back of the pc and it's pretty much stand-alone. Of course, if your pc monitor or video card could get busted, you wouldn't blame the mouse. Or if you cannot see the cursor, you couldn't blame the video card. They're just different things. So.. whatever you display on the screen, whatever resolution or colors, be them right or wrong for that specific display.. the touschscreen itself won't have anything to do with it. For it to die in relation to such things.. hmm.. it would be like your mouse to die because you set up a wrong screen resolution or an improper video driver. :D

2. Touchscreen can die because of android (or other os) or because of improper firmware - FALSE

A capacitive touchscreen is a pretty passive device. It only sends data, never receives them. You cannot set a touchscreen not to work or feed it with wrong data for it to malfunction. Just like a mouse. You can only make it not recognizable by the OS if you mess up with some drivers/settings. But you cannot kill it this way.

3. Capacitive touchscreens are sensible to electrostatic discharges and can be killed by larger ones. - again FALSE (well.. at least in normal conditions)

Most capacitive screens use glass as middle layer for the conductive plates that form the actual touchscreen. Glass is being used because is a stronger electrical insulator then plastics, most polymers etc. It also gives the display underneath it, maximum visibility. However, what you touch on the surface of your phone's screen is not actually glass (be it the gorilla variety or other kinds). The screen is coated with some indium tin oxide that acts like an electric conductor. It will take up small electrostatic charges present in your fingers. These charges will disturb the electromagnetic field created by this conductive layer and the similar one underneath the glass insulator. This disturbance is measured and recorded as a "tap". So yes, the display works by using small electrical currents. Guess that's why i heard the "large-electrostatic-discharges-kills-touchscreen" theory. Technically it's possible. But the electrostatic discharge must hit both conductive sides of the touchscreen in order to pass on to the controller chip. In order to break the atomic bonds of such strong insulators like glass.. you will need an insane amount of voltage AND current. A rough estimate by me (i've worked with experimental high voltage devices) based on the thickness of the glass, let's say about 60-100.000 Volts at a minimum of 100mA. That would easily kill a human, couple of times in a row and still the touchscreen could survive. Trust me, if somewhat that amount of voltage gets on the screen's surface, your phone will be the least of your problems.

4. mechanical shocks kills capacitive touchscreens even if they don't actually break them. Mostly TRUE

Actually, the screen is pretty tough, if it won't break in the initial impact, most probably you won't have problems with it. However the motherboard, connectors and components.. aren't that tough. The most often way for a touchscreen to die is that it's controller chip (the thing that interprets data coming in) breaks, comes loose, has some imperfect contacts etc. The edges of the screen may also contain small ribbon like - cables that can be easily damaged or broken, even if the screen itself looks ok.

5. depolarizing a capacitive touchscreen will kill it - TRUE .. and pretty cool, reminds me of Star Trek

Simply put, a capacitive touchscreen draws some amount of power in order to keep the conductive areas to a certain electrical potential. This is needed for a small electrostatic field to be maintained over the screen surface. When your finger touches the screen, it induces it's own electrostatic charge, and those combined will produce a small spike in that field that the controller circuitry knows to interpret as a "tap" (click, touch .. whatever). If the pathways that lead the current to the screen surface get damaged, the screen won't generate this field so .. simply put, will become non responsive.

No. 5 is my personal guess on the cause of touchscreen failures. I guess that a small conductor strip (reeaaally small wire) drives the current on the upper part of the screen and somehow can be broken and depolarize the upper electrodes and indium tin oxide layer. I don't know it's location and i would require a microscope to examine the screen surface. However, since there's been some talk about the lower part of the screen, the red button area etc, it seems that either the problem is located on the screen level - this strip has been broken and thus, the capacitive matrix was depolarized, or like pvii said, there must be some sort of faulty tracks on the pcb underneath.
    I'll be getting another HD2 for testing, i'll try to look into this problem but as I see it, it won't be very do-it-yourself fixable.