[Installer] SMACKME 2.1 (kexec or moboot, native Linux or Android - with recovery!)

Search This thread

kyzerdroid

Feb 6, 2013
Hello, tried installing Ubuntu 13 on my touchpad using smackme 2 the install goes fine until I get a message saying that moboot is already installed. I already have cm10 installed and dual boot with moboot. I thought with smackme 2 I could triple using moboot and kexec? Thanks for your advice on how to proceed

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

jacobas92

Dec 21, 2010
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hello, tried installing Ubuntu 13 on my touchpad using smackme 2 the install goes fine until I get a message saying that moboot is already installed. I already have cm10 installed and dual boot with moboot. I thought with smackme 2 I could triple using moboot and kexec? Thanks for your advice on how to proceed

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

You need to start fresh. Use Acme uninstaller to remove android then install ubuntu. If you want android, you must install it from kexec/nsboot

sunilatxda

Nov 30, 2013
I dont see kexec in boot. I see SmackMe2 in moboot menu. What am I doing wrong?

netkillercat
This is how I did it and it worked just fine:

In my sminstall folder on the TP I had: moboot_0.3.5.zip, uImage.kexec, kexec-ubuntu.tar, and TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.

I ran novacom boot mem:// < uImage.SmackMe2, and let it run. Took probably 15 mins at least.

Rebooted, chose kexec, chose Ubuntu, all working ok....

I did the same thing. I dont see kexec in boot. I see SmackMe2 in moboot menu. What am I doing wrong?

yukmuk

Jan 3, 2013
Error

So I went through the install, and everything looked fine, up until i booted kexec. It would do the normal boot sequence but then suddenly halt, saying,

"mountall: Event failed
mountall: Event failed
The disk drive for /mnt/sdcard is not ready yet of not present.
keys:Continue to wait, or Press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery"

Any help?

lil-devil

Jun 30, 2010
Markham
www.curiositytotheoven.ca
Insufficient free space

Hi All
i've been trying to install ubuntu 13.04 onto my touchpad but i keep running into the same problem
as shown in the picture
Code:
extracting ubuntu tarchive.  this may take upwards of 10 minutes.
Please Wait....
gunzip:error inflating
tar: short read
Extraction completed
TouchpadBuntuRoottfs1304f.tar.gz: moving to finished directory

free space on /boot = 272 KiB
disk usage of /meda/sminstall/uImage.kexec: 2776 KiB
insufficient free space for uImage /media/sminstall/uImage.kexec
uImage.kexec: moving to finished directory
20140206_121824.jpg

How do i solve the problem of insufficient free space?
what is the free space its looking for?
i currently have about 7.5 gb of free space on my hp touch pad, is it looking for some other free space which ihave to partition?

Thanks!

netkillercat

Oct 31, 2010
whats in the boot folder ?

Hi All
i've been trying to install ubuntu 13.04 onto my touchpad but i keep running into the same problem
as shown in the picture
Code:
extracting ubuntu tarchive.  this may take upwards of 10 minutes.
Please Wait....
gunzip:error inflating
tar: short read
Extraction completed
TouchpadBuntuRoottfs1304f.tar.gz: moving to finished directory

free space on /boot = 272 KiB
disk usage of /meda/sminstall/uImage.kexec: 2776 KiB
insufficient free space for uImage /media/sminstall/uImage.kexec
uImage.kexec: moving to finished directory
20140206_121824.jpg

How do i solve the problem of insufficient free space?
what is the free space its looking for?
i currently have about 7.5 gb of free space on my hp touch pad, is it looking for some other free space which ihave to partition?

Thanks!

your boot folder whats in there ?

do this with a clean tp it is always the best way i did factory condition before i started i made sure acmeuninstall before i did factory condition to tp then started

Last edited:

Prathusa

Feb 15, 2015
cp: No space left on device

Hi I keep on getting an error saying "cp: No space left on device"
I am not new to this hp touchpad android hacking but I cannot understand what this means and how can I fix this??
Thanks in Advance.....:);):D

gottabcb

Dec 20, 2010
Thinkpad Go hanging during install

I recently came into 6 Touchpad Go tablets (shortloin is apparently the internal name), and they're pretty useless with WebOS on them, so I've been trying to get Android or Linux on them and have been unsuccessful so far.
I can start the uImage boot, but it hangs at "sys_prepare_and_jump".
In case it helps, the full line is "sys_prepare_and_jump: type 1, target 0x40208000, args: 0x0 0xc08 0x40200100 0x0"

The files I've got in the sminstall directory are:
uImage.SmackMe2
uImage.kexec
kexec-android42.tar
evervolv-tenderloin-4.0.0p1-queo.zip
gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip

To castrwilliam: I would be willing to give you one of the Touchpad Gos if you could help me make this work.

Reactions: TopTongueBarry

shumash

Jun 1, 2008
Google Pixel 3
I recently came into 6 Touchpad Go tablets (shortloin is apparently the internal name), and they're pretty useless with WebOS on them, so I've been trying to get Android or Linux on them and have been unsuccessful so far.
I can start the uImage boot, but it hangs at "sys_prepare_and_jump".
In case it helps, the full line is "sys_prepare_and_jump: type 1, target 0x40208000, args: 0x0 0xc08 0x40200100 0x0"

The files I've got in the sminstall directory are:
uImage.SmackMe2
uImage.kexec
kexec-android42.tar
evervolv-tenderloin-4.0.0p1-queo.zip
gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip

To castrwilliam: I would be willing to give you one of the Touchpad Gos if you could help me make this work.

Touchpad Go is a completely unsupported device. None of the developments will work on them; probably never will since there is zero interest.in development.

gottabcb

Dec 20, 2010
Touchpad Go is a completely unsupported device. None of the developments will work on them; probably never will since there is zero interest.in development.

Er, I'll have to disagree with the "zero interest" bit since I'm definitely interested.

With the hardware of the Go being so similar to the original there's got to be plenty of ground that's already been covered I don't have to repeat. I'm just asking for help from someone more experienced with this hardware.

Reactions: TopTongueBarry

Edir127

Nov 24, 2015
Sorry if this is a bump but I'm trying to install 13.04 but I get to a point where it says "/etc/init.d/S99smackme: line 168: syntax error: 14536 + 8.00m - 3072 - 8"

I assume this isn't my fault but can I fix it?

johncwhitlock

Sep 21, 2017
Help please

Hello im kinda lost.
1st wanna make sure I'm at the right directions. I have web is and android 4.4.4 by CyanogenMod. Im trying to install Ubuntu alongside both.
The first thing I'm not sure about is creating the sminstall directory. I can boot into USB mode in webos or android should I do one of these to create the directory in USB storage. I've tried both and when I boot into recovery and try the command novacom boot mem:// < uImage.SmackMe2 in command prompt it says no file or directory found. I put uImage.kexec and the Ubuntu 13.04.kexec in the sminstall folder and even tried putting the Smackme2 file in their. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SmackMe 2.1 Installer
    Read the whole post before doing anything.

Sorry this has been so long in the making. It underwent several rewrites and design changes.

SmackMe now supports recovery - individual recoveries will be installed along with kexec kernels - don't worry about the graphical corruption.

Supported Android Files:
    • Android 2.2: Froyo-*.zip|froyo-*.zip
    • Android 2.3 / CM7.1: update-cm-7*.zip|update-cm7*.zip|cm-7*.zip
    • Android 4.0 / CM9: update-cm-9*.zip|cm-9*.zip|update-cm9*.zip
    • Android 4.1 / CM10: cm-10*.zip|update-cm-10*.zip|update-cm10*.zip
    • Android 4.2: Evervolv-*.zip|evervolv-*.zip
    • Google Apps for Android: gapps-*.zip

Supported native-Linux Files:
    • Ubuntu: TouchPadBuntuRootfs*.tar.gz|TouchPadBuntuRootfs*.tgz
    • Split Ubuntu: TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210*.tar.gz.[123]|TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210*.tgz.[123]
    • Arch Linux ARM (untested but should work): ArchLinuxARM-touchpad*.tar.gz|ArchLinuxARM-touchpad*.tgz
    • Split Arch Linux: ArchLinuxARM-touchpad*.tar.gz.[1-4]|ArchLinuxARM-touchpad*.tgz.[1-4]
    • Debian (which fell off the face of the Earth, apparently, so also might not work): bodhi-touchpad-*.tar.gz|bodhi-touchpad-*.tgz
    • Split Debian: bodhi-touchpad-*.tar.gz.[123]|bodhi-touchpad-*.tgz.[123]
    • Fedora (ported by me, will release this month): HPTPFedora*.tar.gz|HPTPFedora*.tar.gz
    • Split Fedora: HPTPFedora*.tar.gz.[123]|HPTPFedora*.tar.gz.[123]
    • Slackware (ported by me): HPTPSlackware*.tar.gz|HPTPSlackware*.tar.gz
    • Split Slackware: HPTPSlackware*.tar.gz.[123]|HPTPSlackware*.tar.gz.[123]

Supported Miscellaneous Files:
    • uImage files: uImage.*
    • kexec kernel tarchives: kexec-*.tar
    • moboot (0.3.5, 0.3.8 tested only): moboot*.zip

You will need:
    • Computer with the HP webOS SDK installed, including Novacom and Novaterm.
    • A TouchPad (which I will refer to as HPTP)
    • All your files to install.
    • Patience. An install of the whole shebang on my 32GB test unit took almost 40 minutes.

Instructions for use:
    1. Create a directory in the USB storage of your HPTP with the name "sminstall".
    2. Copy all the files you want to install from your PC (refer to the lists above) into that directory.
    3. Boot your HPTP into recovery mode.
    4. Run the following command in your Terminal or Command Prompt:
      Code:
      novacom boot mem:// < uImage.SmackMe2
    You should see the USB logo get replaced by the HP logo, then two Tuxes (Linux's mascot, the penguin - one for each CPU coer on the SoC) and scrolling text. Wait for the tablet to reboot to moboot. If you encounter any issues, please remember that I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS, but I will certainly do my utmost to fix anything that I made. It is unlikely to brick your TouchPad using either this installer or ACME Installer. The worst that can theoretically happen is the "www.palm.com/ROM" screen, which IS NOT a brick, and IS EASILY FIXABLE.

DOWNLOADS
    The main installer (what you feed into Novacom):
    uImage.SmackMe2 - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2T1k5THhKNmNPVEk/edit?usp=sharing
    Buiidables for the main installer: http://www.mediafire.com/?it96af7fvp39l9c
    To use kexec for any OS, you need both "uImage.kexec" and the "kexec-<OSNAME>.tar" files.
    MAIN FILE (uImage.kexec): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2RHJoNE93c2dVRlU/edit?usp=sharing
    Android 2.2: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2d2cwQlBtVVd4aGM/edit?usp=sharing
    Android 2.3: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2UGtETzBwNnNvckU/edit?usp=sharing
    Android 4.0: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2UDc2cVZ2TjBWM2s/edit?usp=sharing
    Android 4.1: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2d3g0U3p6c0l4NFk/edit?usp=sharing
    Android 4.2: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2dlFzcFBacThSVXc/edit?usp=sharing

Ubuntu 12.10 final: http://www.mediafire.com/?uowhfd1sx1pppoa
    Ubuntu 13.04: kexec kernel already included in the rootfs, DO NOT try to extract the 12.10 one on top!
    Arch Linux: coming soon
    Slackware: http://www.mediafire.com/?8kow2lrwnamuui1
    Fedora: coming soon
    nsboot released

I've never really personally been proud of smackme. It's been through a rewrite once, but it's still buggy and difficult to maintain. I'm not the best at shell coding, and also, I've wanted to make an actual interface for a while.

Meet nsboot., a kexec bootloader and installer coded in C.

In the post for nsboot, I mention that it is a beta. I, personally, have replaced moboot with nsboot for a day now that it can boot webOS via kexec. The files for that will be posted in a minute, along with some for Arch Linux ARM, which also let the old port boot from ext4 - needed because nsboot formats EVERYTHING in ext4.

A good thing about "kexec bootloaders" like this is that if properly installed, they actually have a lower chance of bricking your TouchPad than moboot does (if you are a "crack-flasher", you don't ever have to touch /dev/mmcblk0p13 after you install nsboot.) Even if you mess up your nsboot installation (which would be difficult because it has a one click install button), you can technically get out of it without doctoring - just use novacom to boot a new copy of nsboot!

As for kexecboot, the old kexec bootloader, I'm phasing that out too: unless anyone has particular concerns about smackme2 or kexecboot, I strongly urge you install nsboot today.

Plus, I really need beta testers: nobody has commented on/thanked my nsboot post yet - I really hope people aren't jumping ship to other tablets :rolleyes

Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2296029

(Sorry for making this sound more like an advertisement than an upgrade annoucement.)
    My version of Ubuntu has audio and usability enhancements, as well as being lean/mean and faster due to the armhf architecture.

It's available near the end of the Ubuntu thread, make sure you get 12.10, "Final" and not "Beta".

In fact, I haven't tested my Ubuntu kexec tarchive with anyone else's implementation. Feel free to try and respond back with 11.10 or 12.04, or even my 12.10 beta.

Everyone, Slackware should be up by the time you read this post.
    I see the author of 13.04 put their archive on Google Docs, I'll copy all three over there.