FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
OnePlus 6 On Sale

Fixing GPS problems Thread

1,450 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,064

By globatron, Retired Recognized Developer on 6th January 2012, 11:46 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Ok, we have numerous reports of GPS not holding lock after upgrading to Honeycomb.

This thread is for the purpose of identifying the resolution to this issue.

To begin with I'll start with asking for details from those of you who are encountering the issue and also those who are not.

What I want to know is, what software you were running and also exactly how you got to that version. For example ist is not sufficient to say you did my S-OFF upgrade, I also need to know the device (wifi or 3g) and version of the upgrade you used and whether you switched from a different version of the software to your current version.

For example, something like this:

Not Working: US Wifi Flyer, S-OFF, originally upgraded with the WIFI package built from 3.55.405.1 3G package, re-flashed with the US wifi OTA.

Casual observation seems indicate that it is all or mostly Wifi flyers that are affected.

7th January 2012, 12:53 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Had trouble with my US Wifi Flyer, S-OFF, originally upgraded with the WIFI package built from 3.55.405.1. Updated that to us OTA package and still had trouble.

Started all over downgraded to GB then went straight to Globatron’s latest (the big file)
Working now
The Following User Says Thank You to Kudzus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kudzus Ad-Free
7th January 2012, 12:56 AM |#3  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag All over the place

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzus

Had trouble with my US Wifi Flyer, S-OFF, originally upgraded with the WIFI package built from 3.55.405.1. Updated that to us OTA package and still had trouble.

Started all over downgraded to GB then went straight to Globatron’s latest (the big file)
Working now

Thanks, this is consistent with my working assumption which is that it affects WIFI flyers that were flashed with the 3g ROM.
7th January 2012, 04:34 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I have the US wifi flyer. S-Off, installed the 3.55.405.1 3G package followed by Leedroid rom. GPS was no good. Went back to the 3.55.405.1 3G package (from nandroid backup) and GPS no good.

Then installed the US WiFi rom. GPS is fine. Installed Leedroid and GPS is still fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to timropp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift timropp Ad-Free
7th January 2012, 08:20 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
hi globaltron,
US BB Wifi Flyer, S-OFF, originally upgraded with the HC WIFI package built from previous RUU_flyer_wifi_B10.zip, then installed LeeDrOiD HC V2.1.0 but GPS satellite lock wont stay on (dropping signal), tried all agps patches no go. Finally flashed new RUU_flyer_wifi_BBUS.B10.zip (2x) just to make sure over leedroid rom still the same results.
7th January 2012, 09:04 PM |#6  
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 15

More
GPS Dropping
DEVICE: UK WIFI FLYER, 16GB

NOT WORKING: S-OFF, 3.55.401 - roms tried: LeeDroid, WestFire, Globatron's B09 (originally upgraded with the WIFI package built from 3.55.405.1 3G package)

NOT WORKING: S-OFF, 3.55.1114.31 - roms tried: HoneyPot, Globatron's B10

WORKING: S-ON, OTA 3.55.1114.31 (updated from Stock GB)

Also, worth noting that I (may) have experienced bluetooth problems. I use a OBD2 bluetooth adapter with my car and Torque App was having none of it with HC custom roms (including B09/B10). Basically, it connects to the OBD2 adapter, but but never negotiates the protocol. Works fine with GB and HC OTA. I could be alone on this since I don't trust the OBD2 adapter.

Navigation apps I use: CoPilot 8 & 9, Google Maps.
8th January 2012, 03:55 AM |#7  

More
[QUOTE
WORKING: S-ON, OTA 3.55.1114.31 (updated from Stock GB)[/QUOTE]

so, with S-ON no GPS issues good to know. I have been trying to find a fix with no avail. I'm S-OFF US HC wifi rom.
8th January 2012, 03:56 AM |#8  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag All over the place

Donate to Me
More
no, it's not hboot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to globatron For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift globatron Ad-Free
8th January 2012, 04:25 PM |#9  
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 643

More
My observations using the GPS Status app.
DEVICE: US BB WIFI FLYER, 16GB

Working: GB stock rooted & GB Leedroid

NOT WORKING: S-OFF, 3.55.1114.31 All configurations below
1. Globatron's B09 (originally upgraded with the WIFI package built from 3.55.405.1 3G package).
2. Globatron's B10 Cross-grade from Globatron's B09 Wifi
3. Globatron's B10 full clean install of US Wifi RUU over Globatron's B09 Wifi .

Not tested : HC OTA update from GB

Setup: Turn off screen timeout. Open GPS status or another app that uses GPS that shows you status constantly.

Symptoms to watch for:
GPS turns on and locks quite fast, first time will stay locked for 30 - 60 secs. Then it loses lock and starts searching, Acquires lock again in a few seconds, then loses lock again after about 10 sec. repeats the loss of lock from this point acquiring and then losing lock every few seconds.

Tried clearing AGPS data and re-downloading, no help.
8th January 2012, 04:55 PM |#10  
Flag Middle Tennessee
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Referring to DigitalMD's post above

I have the BestBuy WiFi 16GB Flyer
I purshed it stock and took the OTA HC update.
Over the last two days I have since Rooted S-Off and am running Globatron's US Wifi RUU build.

Before I rooted my GPS did not maintain lock. It was symptomatic like your findings.
After I rooted and flashed HC, GPS was still symptomatic.

I have since edited the /system/etc/gps.conf folder.
The first string of text by default is:
NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org
I have changed it to read:
NTP_SERVER=us.pool.ntp.org

I used Root Explore and long pressed the gps.conf file and selected open in text editor. Make and save changes and reboot.

Having owned the HTC Thunderbolt, that device was plagued with similar GPS issues and this was a fix that was offered up in other threads here at XDA.
The Following User Says Thank You to MePascal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MePascal Ad-Free
8th January 2012, 05:10 PM |#11  

More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by MePascal

Referring to DigitalMD's post above

I have the BestBuy WiFi 16GB Flyer
I purshed it stock and took the OTA HC update.
Over the last two days I have since Rooted S-Off and am running Globatron's US Wifi RUU build.

Before I rooted my GPS did not maintain lock. It was symptomatic like your findings.
After I rooted and flashed HC, GPS was still symptomatic.

I have since edited the /system/etc/gps.conf folder.
The first string of text by default is:
NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org
I have changed it to read:
NTP_SERVER=us.pool.ntp.org

I used Root Explore and long pressed the gps.conf file and selected open in text editor. Make and save changes and reboot.

Having owned the HTC Thunderbolt, that device was plagued with similar GPS issues and this was a fix that was offered up in other threads here at XDA.

thanks, will try this now.....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)