FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor View 10

Fixing GPS problems Thread

1,450 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,064
 
By globatron, Retired Recognized Developer on 7th January 2012, 12:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th January 2012, 06:18 PM |#41  
Senior Member
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim

WiFi-only Flyer (and as I understand the 3Gs are not affected?!)

seems like it. lucky sobs.
 
 
11th January 2012, 09:53 PM |#42  
Elim's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Antwerpen
Thanks Meter: 352
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by grippa

seems like it. lucky sobs.

no, at the moment I leave my WiFi zone, it begins with the unstable GPS connection. Very strange...
12th January 2012, 12:01 AM |#43  
DigitalMD's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 643
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim

no, at the moment I leave my WiFi zone, it begins with the unstable GPS connection. Very strange...

How are you monitoring the status? I think if you use a app that shows status continuously like GPS Status, you will see that it's losing lock even when you have wifi, but with wifi the AGPS assist helps with a faster re-acquire.
12th January 2012, 12:03 AM |#44  
Senior Member
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim

no, at the moment I leave my WiFi zone, it begins with the unstable GPS connection. Very strange...

I think you misunderstood what I said. I was just answering your question about 3G flyers not being affected by this issue.
12th January 2012, 01:00 AM |#45  
Kudzus's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 92
 
More
Just Testing
Don’t know if this means anything or will help in anyway.
I’ve done more testing with my flyer running Glolatron latest clean install
With wifi on I get between 8 and 10 satellites with some fluctuation but completely useable. By that I mean it will jump around on the number of connected sats from 8 to 10
Turn wifi off and it will do as others have stated and drop connections.
Leave wifi off and reboot and it will lock on with 12 sats rock solid and not fluctuate.
Strange … it seems as the wifi radio interferes somewhat with GPS
12th January 2012, 06:38 AM |#46  
DigitalMD's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 643
 
More
Wifi US-BB
How are you monitoring the status? I think if you use a app that shows status continuously like GPS Status, i think you will see that it's losing lock even when you have wifi, but with wifi the AGPS assist helps with a faster re-acquire as it should.
But I have tried Globaltron's B10 wifi and a couple of the custom ROMs including coolext's and they all behave the same way , dropping lock every few second wifi or no wifi . They all look good for about two minutes on cold start, then begin the lost lock cycling.
The Following User Says Thank You to DigitalMD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DigitalMD Ad-Free
12th January 2012, 08:08 AM |#47  
Kudzus's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 92
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMD

Wifi US-BB
How are you monitoring the status? I think if you use a app that shows status continuously like GPS Status, i think you will see that it's losing lock even when you have wifi, but with wifi the AGPS assist helps with a faster re-acquire as it should.
But I have tried Globaltron's B10 wifi and a couple of the custom ROMs including coolext's and they all behave the same way , dropping lock every few second wifi or no wifi . They all look good for about two minutes on cold start, then begin the lost lock cycling.

Yes I’m using GPS Status. I had problems until I did a full wipe and clean install.
12th January 2012, 04:26 PM |#48  
Senior Member
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzus

Don’t know if this means anything or will help in anyway.
I’ve done more testing with my flyer running Glolatron latest clean install
With wifi on I get between 8 and 10 satellites with some fluctuation but completely useable. By that I mean it will jump around on the number of connected sats from 8 to 10
Turn wifi off and it will do as others have stated and drop connections.
Leave wifi off and reboot and it will lock on with 12 sats rock solid and not fluctuate.
Strange … it seems as the wifi radio interferes somewhat with GPS

I think you're on to something here. I've also noticed that the GPS drop occurs around every 15 secs (GPS status app). In the build.prop, wifi.supplicant_scan_interval is also set to 15. This is the wifi refresh/scan interval. I wonder if there's any relation to this.

I'm going to change the wifi.supplicant_scan_interval to probably 300 and will report back later.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzus

Don’t know if this means anything or will help in anyway.
I’ve done more testing with my flyer running Glolatron latest clean install
With wifi on I get between 8 and 10 satellites with some fluctuation but completely useable. By that I mean it will jump around on the number of connected sats from 8 to 10
Turn wifi off and it will do as others have stated and drop connections.
Leave wifi off and reboot and it will lock on with 12 sats rock solid and not fluctuate.
Strange … it seems as the wifi radio interferes somewhat with GPS

Btw - I can confirm this ^^. Wifi radio seems to be getting in the way.

*UPDATE: I changed the wifi interval to 300, then drops were less frequent. mostly at 30 sec intervals and sometimes at 60 secs.
12th January 2012, 07:41 PM |#49  
DigitalMD's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 643
 
More
I'm beginning to think this is almost random due to the various reports of what affects it. Here are my latest findings after reading other reports I tried a few things , but my findings seem to conflict with other reports so nothing is certain.

Setup:
US BB WIfi Flyer : Upgraded to HC using GLobaltron's B10 Wifi over GB rooted. S-OFF
Roms : GLobaltron's B10 Wifi and coolexe's HoneySense
Turned off screen timeout so it does not interfere
Using GPS Status app to monitor GPS lock.

Findings:
Same for both ROMs;

Flyer running on battery, no external power
1. Changing wifi scan interval has no effect. Tried 15 , 150 ,300, 1500, with reboot, same results Lock acquired, then stable for a couple of minutes , then begins lock /unlock cycle
2. Turning off and on wifi has no effect except at cold start GPS lock is acquired faster with wifi due to GPS assist. (AGPS). Lock acquired, then stable for a couple of minutes , then begins lock /unlock cycle
3. Attach charger power to Flyer
HUmmmmmmm : everything stabilizes. Lock stays once acquired . Turning wifi on or off has no effect.

I'm not saying this is a definitive cause, it is perhaps a clue. Because we are getting varying reports and sometimes conflicting information, all bets are off and we could very possibly be completely missing the real cause because we are being mislead by what we think we see.
The Following User Says Thank You to DigitalMD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DigitalMD Ad-Free
13th January 2012, 03:08 AM |#50  
Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
[QUOTE=Attach charger power to Flyer
HUmmmmmmm : everything stabilize.[/QUOTE]
i'm going to plug my flyer in my car later and check on this....thanks
13th January 2012, 08:51 PM |#51  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Previously, loading the US WiFi rom gave me working GPS. I've since flashed a bunch of other roms multiple times. Yesterday I reloaded the US WiFi rom via the ARU Wizard. GPS is not working now. It's just as bad as on any other rom based off the non-us base.

Then I tried wiping everything I could via recovery (data, cache, etc). Installed the US WiFi again. Same problem. Weird...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes