[BOOTLOADER] 2nd-Bootloader/Recovery unlock process for KFire 2 [TWRP 2.6.3.0]

Search This thread

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
Sorry fmkilo, didn't care to quote because your post was long, but you answered my netflix question. Ima flash tonight anyways. Not sure why, I guess I really hate the status bar? Hah. Either way I'm fairly experienced so I'm going to flash without a factory cable since I'm ordering one tonight and I don't mind if I brick. I'll let you guys know how it goes and report any interesting findings.

For fixing the HD codec, will that be a simple fix from within the ROM? If it requires flashing I may as well wait until an update....or maybe not. Flashing is easy I just am always wary when dealing with dangerous and recoveries. Either way, fun inbound! I haven't hacked anything in a year now unless rooting the KF2 counts.

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
Sorry fmkilo, didn't care to quote because your post was long, but you answered my netflix question. Ima flash tonight anyways. Not sure why, I guess I really hate the status bar? Hah. Either way I'm fairly experienced so I'm going to flash without a factory cable since I'm ordering one tonight and I don't mind if I brick. I'll let you guys know how it goes and report any interesting findings.

For fixing the HD codec, will that be a simple fix from within the ROM? If it requires flashing I may as well wait until an update....or maybe not. Flashing is easy I just am always wary when dealing with dangerous and recoveries. Either way, fun inbound! I haven't hacked anything in a year now unless rooting the KF2 counts.

If you are going to flash without a cable I would feel better if you came to irc and we walked you through it, since I know exactly the steps to get it done right.
freenode.net #kindlefire-dev

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
If you are going to flash without a cable I would feel better if you came to irc and we walked you through it, since I know exactly the steps to get it done right.

Oh i'm off work at 0300 PST. I won't be able to do anything until then. I would love to be walked through things though, and you all can see exactly what happens.

On a secondary note, I have a linux, windows 8, and windows 7 setup. The ubuntu and 7 are a dualboot and the 8 my main computer. Is there any I should specifically try it on?

chrisw05

Dec 30, 2007
I think i got everything to install correctly up to booting into recovery. it boots up gives me the option to open boot menu but when i choose recovery it stays at Booting... at the bottom. is there something i did wrong or missed or does it normally take a long time to load up recovery? If i turn it off and just let it boot up normally it will still go to the kindle homescreen.
EDIT: I got it by reflashing twrp
New Edit: Now it loaded up CyanogenMod optimized the apps and been stuck at the logo with what it looks like a loading animation around were it says CyanogenMod

Last edited:

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
I think i got everything to install correctly up to booting into recovery. it boots up gives me the option to open boot menu but when i choose recovery it stays at Booting... at the bottom. is there something i did wrong or missed or does it normally take a long time to load up recovery? If i turn it off and just let it boot up normally it will still go to the kindle homescreen.
EDIT: I got it by reflashing twrp
New Edit: Now it loaded up CyanogenMod optimized the apps and been stuck at the logo with what it looks like a loading animation around were it says CyanogenMod
Did you wipe data, system, dalvik and cache?

Reactions: mindmajick

Jowyn

Jun 27, 2008
OK thanks everyone for your pieces of advice regarding my missing "fastboot" command. Don't know where I got my sdk from, but in platform-tools I only had adb & a few other commands.
Just downloaded the sdk again from google yesterday, and replaced the first one.
I still have an issue, though: although my device was obvously in fastboot mode, "fastboot devices" wouldn't reply anything, and I had a log like "USBDEVFS_CONTROL cmd fastboot failed".
Anyway I'll go through the different links some of you posted in order to check my config.
In the meantime I'll check this command from my pro windows 7 laptop at lunch time, just in case.
Oh one last thing: is this backup procedure still valid (I'm referring to the backup.sh enclosed file), or should I stick to the one listed in this thread?

chrisw05

Dec 30, 2007
@Jowyn i wasnt getting anything listed when i typed in fastboot devices but what i did was just went ahead and entered what it says to flash freedome-boot.img and twrp.img commands and it went ahead and flashed them

clearing the cash and everything got everything working for me rooting and anything android has been new to me for the most part i been with ios and got a kindle fire for xmas. so far so good

Jowyn

Jun 27, 2008
@Jowyn i wasnt getting anything listed when i typed in fastboot devices but what i did was just went ahead and entered what it says to flash freedome-boot.img and twrp.img commands and it went ahead and flashed them

clearing the cash and everything got everything working for me rooting and anything android has been new to me for the most part i been with ios and got a kindle fire for xmas. so far so good

OK many thanks for your feedback!
Hopefully (ie: if I don't mess things up :D) I'll have CM10.1 on my KF2 by tomorrow ;)

willieboya

May 3, 2011

Any chance of making a tutorial in this forum so that all kindle fire 2 owners know how to do so aswell? Although i will be waiting till i get/make my factory cable so i can backup before i flash, its always good to have another option for those who wish to try it without the cable.

RevMike

Dec 11, 2009
If you knew to wipe /data, why didn't you do that first? I mean, I could see someone who didn't know not flashing, and I understand that you wanted to follow the instructions, but stock amazon 4.0.3 data won't work on our 4.1.2 hackmod cm10.1 os.

Because I was in the middle of supervising three young children taking showers. :) I didn't stop to think about it until after I had made the mistake. Also, I have been using ClockWorkMod for 3+ years and so the new interface on TWRP meant that all that "muscle memory" went for nothing.

Even experienced people do dumb things now and then.

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
Ubuntu gave me issues....

I got everything working but I realized I didn't get the way to fastboot without a cable from you FMKilo. I PMd you though, will edit this with results.

Edit: everything working. Fastboot without a cable seems to work just fine and if you follow the steps all is well!

Last edited:

chrisw05

Dec 30, 2007
Well im gonna give this a few days at least try to and start over i got everything flashed and started up i get to the homescreen on CM but there is no back button or home button anywhere. Like i said im new to this and think i have it figured out pretty well but its also in its early early stages. Thanks a ton for making this happen

MisterSir69

Jan 1, 2013

I would love to take advantage of your help and have you walk me through it as well if possible.

On another note, could we not just use the twrp to create a backup of the kindle.

Sent from my KFOT using xda app-developers app

RevMike

Dec 11, 2009
Bug/Feature report

First of all, a feature that I did not expect to work...

I was able to use the USB host cable that I have for my Galaxy Nexus to access a usb drive. There is an activator program needed - Stick Mount https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.stickmount - I was surprised and happy to see that the hardware supports it.

Bugs

Nothing so far that interferes with the use of this device as a daly driver. We already know that video support isn't 100% yet.

The power button menu offers to reboot into recovery. It doesn't go to recovery however. You need to catch the device during the "blue" stage of the boot cycle.

In TWRP there is a button that looks kind of like a command window next to the back button on the top line. Pressing that goes to a screen where the following is displayed...

E:Unknown File System: 'datamedia'
Updating partition details...

Then TWRP is locked up and the device needs to be rebooted.

The settings screens don't layout well in portrait.
7OZXm.jpg

I'm getting a force close every now and then, but I'm not sure if that it anything to do with the ROM. I'm trying to keep logcat going so I can see if anything interesting happens when I get an FC. It seems to be an occasional issue, not a constant, so it is difficult to tie it to anything.

The camera doesn't work :eek:

Overall this seems to be really solid. That makes a lot of sense, in a certain way. The Kindle Fire is a very "simple" device without a lot of bells and whistles. The biggest, most persistent issues with a lot of devices are things like the cameras, the bluetooth stack, and other bits of hardware like that. Since the KFOT doesn't have that hardware in the first place, there are a lot fewer things to go wrong. The biggest hurdles are around getting the device to boot up in the first place.

Last edited:

jutley

Mar 23, 2006
UK
Well I had success with this very easy to do just make sure your adb and fasboot drivers are installed enjoy can't wait for updates.

heldgop

Oct 8, 2008
wow, thanks for all the work, well done!!:good:

is there any difference regarding battery life? thats one of the things is love about the kindle, especially the low consumption during standby.

padest.com

Sep 12, 2012
Thanks for hashcode!

I find your file in goo.im the day before yesterday.
I'm very exciting!

Thanks!!!

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
I would love to take advantage of your help and have you walk me through it as well if possible.

On another note, could we not just use the twrp to create a backup of the kindle.

Sent from my KFOT using xda app-developers app

That backup is to make sure you can boot it again if you mess something up and twrp don't boot for some reason.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Well im gonna give this a few days at least try to and start over i got everything flashed and started up i get to the homescreen on CM but there is no back button or home button anywhere. Like i said im new to this and think i have it figured out pretty well but its also in its early early stages. Thanks a ton for making this happen

I have found.this bug as well. I also know a fix for it. Go into settings -> system -> navigation bar -> reset at the top. It will put your nav bar to the.stock configuration.

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
That backup is to make sure you can boot it again if you mess something up and twrp don't boot for some reason.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

I have found.this bug as well. I also know a fix for it. Go into settings -> system -> navigation bar -> reset at the top. It will put your nav bar to the.stock configuration.

Is TWRP fully functional?

Edit: confirmed by fmkilo. Yes it is.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing: Kindle Fire 2nd-bootloader + TWRP 2.6.3.0 for the Kindle Fire 2nd GEN

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

*** READ CAREFULLY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ***
    *** Kindle Fire 1st-gen ROMs/KERNELS are *NOT* compatible with the Kindle Fire 2. Please only flash ROMs/KERNELS that are made for the Kindle Fire 2. ***

** IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, RE-READ THROUGH THE THREAD FOR ANSWERS. WHEN YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY SURE NO ONE HAS ASKED YOUR QUESTION, GO AHEAD AND RE-READ THE THREAD AGAIN AND USE THE SEARCH FEATURE. THEN POST YOUR QUESTION IF YOU STILL CAN'T FIND THE ANSWER **

** WHEN MOVING FROM AMAZON OS TO CM10.1 IN TWRP: "WIPE" -> "SYSTEM" AND "FACTORY RESET" TO CLEAR SYSTEM/DATA/CACHE. YOUR APPS FROM AMAZON ICS AREN'T COMPATIBLE. IF NOT YOU'LL LOOP ON THE CM10.1 BOOT ANIMATION **

[03/27] NEW support thread for OFFICIAL CM on the Otter2 (Kindle Fire 2):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2209995

** YOU SHOULD HAVE A WORKING FASTBOOT CABLE + FASTBOOT DRIVERS/ACCESS ON YOUR PC. **

Q: How do I know if my fastboot works?
    A: Plug the cable into your device and then the computer. Reboot the Kindle. It *SHOULD* show a Fastboot screen. Once at the screen use this command on your computer:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 devices
    You should see something like this:
    0123456789ABCDEF

Here's 1 website you can purchase a FASTBOOT adapter from (works with your normal USB cable)
    http://shop.teamblackhat.info/Factory-Adapters-motadapt.htm
    ** I don't make any commission or fee from the sales of these devices, I just know they have them on stock most of the time and ship in a reasonable time frame unlike the Chinese variants found on ebay.

If you do NOT see this, then make sure you have the SDK installed correctly and you have the right setup for fastboot on your PC before proceeding.

*** BE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD CHARGE ON THE DEVICE ***

INITIAL SETUP INSTRUCTIONS (1st TIME ONLY) FOR 2ND-BOOTLOADER + TeamWinRecoveryProject INSTALL:

STEP 1. Backup your stock partitions to your own HD for later if you need disaster recovery:
    Code:
    adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0boot0
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system # This will take a few minutes
    Take those files and put them somewhere safe.

STEP 2: Download the files you will need to install 2nd-bootloader, TWRP and CM10.1:
    1. Stack override file:
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/stack
    2. [12/09] otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img (USED ONLY THE FIRST TIME -- .zip files will have their own boot.img's from now on):
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img
      md5sum: 80f9b9ba80910de361463560f86f315a
    3. [09/03] TeamWin Recovery 2.6.3.0:
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-twrp-2.6.3.0-recovery.img
      md5sum: a66a8cbab92fd5daaa85f6303e9cc0c3
    4. older 10.2.4 bootloader file and flash to your device via fastboot:
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
      md5sum 5b03a7b428325de8d360ec201a745498
      (You SHOULD check the MD5SUM before using fastboot -- downloads CAN be corrupted)
    5. CM-10.1/CM-10.2 for the Kindle Fire 2 (choose the latest version from):
      http://www.get.cm/?device=otter2
    6. Google Apps from: http://goo.im/gapps (choose the version: CM10.1 or CM10.2)
    Place the ROM and the gapps .zip on your device in the /sdcard area

STEP 3. Install the stack override in /system:
    ADB commands entered while booted up into STOCK *rooted* Amazon Kindle OS -- May need to enable ADB debugging in Settings:
    [2013-08-21] edited the location where stack is placed on device due to permissions changes
    Code:
    adb push stack /sdcard/
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/sdcard/stack of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system bs=6519488 seek=1"

[ Connect fastboot cable, and reboot the device so that "Fastboot" is showing ]

STEP 4.
    Flash the OLD bootloader, new otter2-freedom-boot.img and TWRP recovery.[/B]
    *DONT RE-FLASH FREEDOM-BOOT.IMG LATER AFTER FLASHING CM10.1 -- IT'S FOR STOCK AMAZON OS ONLY / FIRST INSTALL ONLY*
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery otter2-twrp-2.6.3.0-recovery.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

** If everything was done correctly you will at this point see the bootmenu with a BLUE logo during the reboot. **

TO ENTER RECOVERY:
    During the blue logo screen press the power button to cycle through options and select "Recovery" to enter TWRP.

Once in TWRP you can Install" the CM-10.1/CM-10.2 by selecting "Install" and then browsing the device and selecting it, then "Add Zip" and select the Gapps .zip as well.

Use the slider to start the install.

FLASHING BACK TO STOCK:
    ** FIND THE FILES WE BACKED UP IN STEP #1 OR DOWNLOAD NEW ONES FROM THE RECOVERY THREAD HERE: **
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2035047

Once you have these files (we'll name them boot.img/recovery.img and system.img for the purpose of these instructions, but they could be different on your system).

Plug in your fastboot cable and reboot so that you see the fastboot screen and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot [B]boot.img[/B]
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery [B]recovery.img[/B]
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash system [B]system.img[/B] # This one will take a few minutes
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

Enjoy

THANKS TO:
    • fattire for finding the original bootloader exploit
    • TESTERS: powerpoint45 and FMKilo
    Changelog: updated 2013-07-08

freedom boot.img (for use w/ stock Amazon OS + 2nd-bootloader):
    • [07/08] Updated w/ kernel from 10.4.3 release

TeamWin Recovery (TWRP) 2.6.0.0
    • [07/08] USB Vendor ID / Product ID in recovery now matches stock Amazon OS
    • [07/08] Based on 10.4.3 stock kernel
    • [07/08] Fixed recovery bootloop issue
    • [07/08] TWRP 2.6.0.0 update
    one more reserved space
    Yes I do. Check md5 as I'm not sure that when you download them they'lll be complete!

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5oda4fual3ht3/KF2_Boot_and_Recovery

:)

Bump just so everyone knows these files are here
    does anyone have a mirror of the files?

Yes I do. Check md5 as I'm not sure that when you download them they'lll be complete!

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5oda4fual3ht3/KF2_Boot_and_Recovery

:)