[HowTo] How to Flash through SD Card

Search This thread

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
Most of you have noticed that my ROMs require flashing through the SD card. I've given out the instructions many times, but they tend to be lost in the shuffle that is day to day posting so here is a whole thread dedicated to it:

1. Format your SD card to FAT32.
2. Place HERAIMG.nbh into your SD card.
3. Hold the camera button then press the soft reset button while holding the camera button.
4. Press the down volume when it asks you to press something.

If this doesn't work, it means either:
1. Your SD card isn't fast enough. You can try partitioning the SD card so that it only has a small amount of space formatted. This can be read faster by the bootloader.
2. You don't have a HERAIMG.nbh file in your SD card.
3. Your HERAIMG.nbh was made with a small number in the "version" number.
4. Your SD is a SDHC. The driver that allows SDHC compatibility is not loaded in the bootloader. Buy a cheap little 1GB card to flash with.

Last edited:

pungcheer

Nov 7, 2008

That's mean IPL & SPL right?

I read about WM6.1 in this forum require IPL or SPL morethan 4.xxx
But my Herald (Dopod C800) IPL&SPL 1.09.0001
Can you give any advice How can I do for upgrade to WM6.1

Thank you
Newbie from Thailand

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
That's mean IPL & SPL right?

I read about WM6.1 in this forum require IPL or SPL morethan 4.xxx
But my Herald (Dopod C800) IPL&SPL 1.09.0001
Can you give any advice How can I do for upgrade to WM6.1

Thank you
Newbie from Thailand

No, when making the NBH you have the option of setting a version number.
In order to flash any third party ROM you need an IPL and SPL of 4.xx and to HardSPL your phone (HardSPL requires an SPL of 4.xx)
To upgrade your SPL and IPL you can try upgrading your phone with it's most updated stock RUU (Some, like HTC bring the upgrade) or you can try the GoldCard method. (Search for the word "Goldcard".)

ghostnj

Aug 9, 2008
how can i do this i have a herald 4350 or well the t-wing and i doesn't want to connect to my computer well it connects but 3 seconds later it disconnects i don't know what going on and i been trying to update to another rom. thanks for any help.

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
how can i do this i have a herald 4350 or well the t-wing and i doesn't want to connect to my computer well it connects but 3 seconds later it disconnects i don't know what going on and i been trying to update to another rom. thanks for any help.

Just follow the directions I just posted. They should work just fine.

Last edited:

papajohn

Apr 2, 2007
If this doesn't work, it means either:
1. Your SD card isn't fast enough. You can try partitioning the SD card so that it only has a small amount of space formatted. This can be read faster by the bootloader.
2. You don't have a HERAIMG.nbh file in your SD card.
Hi Ivan,

Just to let you know though, there must be some kind of problem. I followed the instructions and flashed through my SD the nbh (os+radio) numerous times but after the flash my Herlad always failed to boot. The flash was successful, I got a message "press any key to continue" from the bootloader and after a softreset the screen was always black with no signs of booting.

Also, just to let you know, the program that opens the htcrt.proj file fails to register and I always had to /right click/open with and then manually select the os and radio files to create the nbh.

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
Hi Ivan,

Just to let you know though, there must be some kind of problem. I followed the instructions and flashed through my SD the nbh (os+radio) numerous times but after the flash my Herlad always failed to boot. The flash was successful, I got a message "press any key to continue" from the bootloader and after a softreset the screen was always black with no signs of booting.

Also, just to let you know, the program that opens the htcrt.proj file fails to register and I always had to /right click/open with and then manually select the os and radio files to create the nbh.

If it fails to boot, it means that the ROM you created has something wrong in it, not that the flashing process has something wrong in it.
As far as the proj file, if you have windows Vista, it may have not set the permissions properly.

jantunes

Oct 15, 2006
Hi.
I'm fairly new to this and I'm trying to flash a JustMe ROM. I have built both a XPR and a LZX but none of them worked. I just follow your intructions and I get to a screen with gradients of Red, Green, Blue and a white bar in the background and IPL 4.17.0001 and SPL 4.17.0000. From what I understood, something should happen now, right? Well, it doesn't.
What may be the problem?

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
Hi.
I'm fairly new to this and I'm trying to flash a JustMe ROM. I have built both a XPR and a LZX but none of them worked. I just follow your intructions and I get to a screen with gradients of Red, Green, Blue and a white bar in the background and IPL 4.17.0001 and SPL 4.17.0000. From what I understood, something should happen now, right? Well, it doesn't.
What may be the problem?

You should not see the gradients right away.
If you followed the steps exactly, and your NBH has a version number of 5.2.xxxxx or higher: Then your SD card might not be fast enough or it might be a SDHC which won't work.

How big is your SD card?

jantunes

Oct 15, 2006
It's a 2GB Silicon Power MicroSD. How do I check the version of my NBH?
Also, the NBH is not the only file I have in my card. Do I have to format it or if it is already in FAT32 (which it is) I don't need to?

btw, a message saying something like "Checking SD card" (something like that, couldn't see it right) appears before the gradients but only for 1/4 of second or something.

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
It's a 2GB Silicon Power MicroSD. How do I check the version of my NBH?
When you CREATE the NBH, it says the version. What number does it say there?

Also, the NBH is not the only file I have in my card.
That's fine.

Do I have to format it or if it is already in FAT32 (which it is) I don't need to?
The reason I mention it is because SD cards come preformatted as FAT16.

btw, a message saying something like "Checking SD card" (something like that, couldn't see it right) appears before the gradients but only for 1/4 of second or something.
That's where the flashing is done. If you only see it for 1/4 second, it means:
1. You didn't follow the directions (FAT32 and version number)
2. The SD card is too slow.

jantunes

Oct 15, 2006
It was already formated. I'll try with this version number.

EDIT: Didn't work. I'll format the card.

Last edited:

jantunes

Oct 15, 2006
Yes. It was FAT32 but I reformated it anyway. It now loaded but gave me an "Invalid Certificate" error.

jantunes

Oct 15, 2006
No, as I don't even know what that is. So far I have only needed the Flash Center application to flash the ROMs.

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
No, as I don't even know what that is. So far I have only needed the Flash Center application to flash the ROMs.

The Flash Center only works through inserting the code through Windows Mobile. Since my ROMs are flashed outside of Windows Mobile, therefore, it requires a HardSPL'd phone. HardSPL is better than the Flash Center since it protects the SPL and IPL from being overridden in a bad flash or when you accidently use a ROM that isn't meant for your phone. But, the HardSPL can be dangerous is you don't follow the install process properly as it can brick your phone.

jantunes

Oct 15, 2006
Hum, ok. I'm quite intuitive in understanding how to hack devices so don't worry as I'll probably not brick my phone. I'll search for HardSPL and when I'm done I'll post the results.
Thanks for all the help and for your (I imagine) great ROMs.

EDIT: HardSPL'd my phone and everything is working great. Very fast ROM, I may say. Not as good-looking as the Open Touch Project I was using, but sometimes functionality is better than style.

Last edited: