USB hosting ENABLED on XOOM!

Search This thread

jnrandall

Mar 5, 2010
Thanks Roebeet! I ordered my cable last week from Hong Kong and it arrived in todays mail. I plugged it in, then plugged in a Sandisk Multicard reader, then inserted my 16GB CF card from my Canon 7D and viola! I'm reading the contents of the card.

Now I don't have to dump my images (or rather ask permission to dump them) on my wife's iPad when we're on vacation.

Thanks!

callif

Aug 25, 2010
Its a western digital 500gb usb drive. Its about 2 yrs old. Wish I had more info...the part # is WD500me-01 made in Thailand. rest of sticker is badly worn/scratched.

I tried the zoom with a 1tb drive (wd 1tb usb only) and though it powered on, I could not access any files. So it would appear that there is some size limitation.

I have been able to access movies and music with just about any size usb flash drive including 32 gigs...so that should be plenty of data for us.

Charlie

Mandelbrot.Benoit

Nov 12, 2010
Missoula
ok guys I need some help.

I am unlocked, rooted with the root boot.img from this thread but can't get this done

dev_mount usbdisk /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci

How do i do this from adb? after adb remount it says dev_mount not recognized. And how do i do it from root explorer? Thanks.

Edit: I think i got Root explorer working. It kept crashing until i updated it. So in the /etc/vold.fstab I edited the line that said format: dev_mount ; deleted the stuff after it and put in usbdisk /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.

So yeah that isn't working. I am sure its simple...

Last edited:

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
ok guys I need some help.

I am unlocked, rooted with the root boot.img from this thread but can't get this done

dev_mount usbdisk /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci

How do i do this from adb? after adb remount it says dev_mount not recognized. And how do i do it from root explorer? Thanks.

Edit: I think i got Root explorer working. It kept crashing until i updated it. So in the /etc/vold.fstab I edited the line that said format: dev_mount ; deleted the stuff after it and put in usbdisk /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.

I personally use adb, as I just find it easier (once you know how to use adb, course).

Keep in mind, btw, that these instructions were based off a 3G Xoom - I heard a rumor that the Wifi Xoom might already have the capability built-in. If this is true, then you don't have to change anything and the cable "should just work".

Mandelbrot.Benoit

Nov 12, 2010
Missoula
I personally use adb, as I just find it easier (once you know how to use adb, course).

Keep in mind, btw, that these instructions were based off a 3G Xoom - I heard a rumor that the Wifi Xoom might already have the capability built-in. If this is true, then you don't have to change anything and the cable "should just work".

I used adb to unlock and root, just can't figure out how to edit with it I guess. It doesn't seem like that many lines, could you explain how to do it with adb? And I am based on 3G Xoom. I did this awhile ago and just now got my cable. I was having issues with the OC kernals and flashed with just the boot.img for usb hosting. This last step is just getting me. I am sooo close.

Edit: Got it. I pushed the vold.fstab from the Tiamat kernal thread and saw the changes were literally just adding the above text with nothing in front of it at the end of the stuff in vold.fstab.

Last edited:

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Before I brick my 4G Xoom, can anybody confirm that this method is compatible with 3.2.2?
Hmmm. We've had usb host mode through custom kernel/rom for quite a while now (this is an old thread) but if you aren't running Tiamat Tachi kernel, I don't know if I could recommend this method. Have you checked the Tachi thread in Development to see if it is compatible with your updated Xoom?

PengLord

Oct 24, 2007
I had been running Tiamat Moray ROM prior to the upgrade, I didn't even think to look at just swapping the kernel (has it been that long since that was our only option?) Thanks.

Top Liked Posts