Verizon no longer keeping unlimited data

Search This thread

HTID_Pyro

Jul 17, 2013
So my girlfriend works at Verizon and just told me that even if you buy a phone at full retail you can't keep unlimited data. I wanted to start a discussion of everyone's thought on this and if this will make you move to a different provider or if you will still stay. (I will post more when she tells me more information about this)

Reactions: xsteven77x

cntryby429

Aug 27, 2013
Washington D.C.
If this is true, I'm curious to see how they handle those of us who are still on contract with an UDP by way of the best buy trick. I'm personally under contract until 2016 with unlimited data.

HTID_Pyro

Jul 17, 2013
If this is true, I'm curious to see how they handle those of us who are still on contract with an UDP by way of the best buy trick. I'm personally under contract until 2016 with unlimited data.

Me too. I was going to upgrade to the m9 today but she told me that so I'm trying to find another loop hole now. She's been busy at work so I haven't found any more info yet.

Sent from my unknown using XDA Free mobile app

Darkmx2000

Nov 4, 2009
Charlestown
Thats kinda strange seeing that my sister just purchased the M9 last week and they informed her that the only way she could keep the Unlimited Data was to purchase at full retail which she did. She still has her Unlimited data attached.

HTID_Pyro

Jul 17, 2013
Thats kinda strange seeing that my sister just purchased the M9 last week and they informed her that the only way she could keep the Unlimited Data was to purchase at full retail which she did. She still has her Unlimited data attached.

That's how I've gotten to keep my unlimited in the past. She just found this out today. She works for corporate too and not some random retailer.

Sent from my unknown using XDA Free mobile app

Darkmx2000

Nov 4, 2009
Charlestown
This was a Corporate Verizon store, we dont deal with authorized agents cause 9 times out of 10 they'll do something that screws up your account. If it turns out they are doing this, you'll definitely see a lot of people jump ship cause a lot of them have stuck around because they had the unlimited plan.

Reactions: jax187

lucky_strike33

This was a Corporate Verizon store, we dont deal with authorized agents cause 9 times out of 10 they'll do something that screws up your account. If it turns out they are doing this, you'll definitely see a lot of people jump ship cause a lot of them have stuck around because they had the unlimited plan.

I did the best buy trick last week and I doubt they will remove unlimited data. Too many people have UDP and I doubt they will do anything about it.

l7777

May 2, 2007
Don't listen to a CSR person. There have been rumors about this since they did away with the unlimited data plans. Wait until it actually happens before panicking.

l7777

May 2, 2007
Basically said stop listening to your girlfriend.
Who likely heard it from another uninformed person. In the last four years I've read countless reports from numerous trusted sources that said "unlimited is going away" and it hasn't happened yet. I'm sure someday it will, but there's no sense in posts like these and people getting up in arms. Whenever it happens, all of us holding on to it will have to decide what to do at that point.

Dark Jedi

Sep 23, 2012
Can't see how they can take it away when buying a phone at full retail price doesn't affect your plan at all. You can walk in and buy the phone and never activate it at the store. If any thing the store workers are being told to do something underhanded. Next time I buy at full retail I won't have them activate the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using XDA Free mobile app

sjpritch25

Jan 30, 2011
St. Petersburg
Well, my contract ends in a month, but I just got this phone off contract & still have unlimited. I think I have to change my plan & then I'm screwed.

Anon E Muss

Apr 27, 2015

By your own admission it was a trick and thus not valid. The only ones legitimately still on contract are those that took advantage of a 1 day glitch on Verizon's website in Sept 2013 that allowed unlimited data users to upgrade. Verizon has said they would honor those contracts. They have never said they would honor contracts signed elsewhere. Everyone else on UDP their contracts ran out by June 27th 2014. Even the contracts people got with the glitch run out in a few months anyway. Read the terms. The terms are very clear, you could only keep UDP if you paid full price for a phone. Getting a discounted phone and signing a new contract is not full price. Thus you violated the terms thus the contact is null and void and Verizon doesn't have to honor it.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Can't see how they can take it away when buying a phone at full retail price doesn't affect your plan at all. .

because they don't want people on unlimited data anymore. They don't want or need people using 500 GB a month. Mobile data isn't made to handle that. Maybe if people didn't have a cow over Verizon's "throttling" plan and Verizon was forced to scrap it they would have keep unlimited data around.

l7777

May 2, 2007
because they don't want people on unlimited data anymore. They don't want or need people using 500 GB a month. Mobile data isn't made to handle that. Maybe if people didn't have a cow over Verizon's "throttling" plan and Verizon was forced to scrap it they would have keep unlimited data around.
Let's not fool ourselves, people using inordinate amounts of data aren't the reason VZ wants to do away with unlimited data. There are plenty of other ways to deal with that. They want more $$. Data is a cash cow because very few users actually understand it. Minutes and Text are easy to keep track of, data is black magic to most people. Those of us who hang onto unlimited data actually understand the value of it. When that value goes away we'll all be re-evaluating our choice of carrier and plan. I know I can use 3 - 6 Gigabytes simply by streaming music while I'm in the car.

carm01

Jun 17, 2011
Ohio - land of the boring
By your own admission it was a trick and thus not valid. The only ones legitimately still on contract are those that took advantage of a 1 day glitch on Verizon's website in Sept 2013 that allowed unlimited data users to upgrade. Verizon has said they would honor those contracts. They have never said they would honor contracts signed elsewhere. Everyone else on UDP their contracts ran out by June 27th 2014. Even the contracts people got with the glitch run out in a few months anyway. Read the terms. The terms are very clear, you could only keep UDP if you paid full price for a phone. Getting a discounted phone and signing a new contract is not full price. Thus you violated the terms thus the contact is null and void and Verizon doesn't have to honor it.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Mobile data can handle that. I point you to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1757890

Second, Verizon was able to offer unlimited data for $30/month, then they got greedy and charging you $40 for 2 gigs of it(it use to be $50). I can burn through 2 gig/day on my home internet no problem. They can offer unlimited or a ungodly high gig without outrageous pricing, mobile should be the same way.

Verizon spent over 5 billion on the c block spectrum, now they are taking advantage of their customers charging them uncalled for prices for data.

Bottom line this is about MONEY not can the network handle it. I personally think they have several congested sites in my area b/c of my sometimes poor speed. The most data I ever used is about 13 gigs, i average under 4-5, and I hardly think any amounts I used are uncalled for.

Also, us unlimited users are not throttled that was discouraged by the FCC, and VZW backed down from it. ATT is involved in a lawsuit with the FCC over it and they continue to throttle until its settled.

cuban11182

Jul 10, 2010
They still offer Unlimited to their corporate accounts. If it was that big of a hassle, then they wouldn't offer it at all. I currently use VZW and ONLY do because I still have my unlimited plans. Once that changes, I'll be changing carriers.

Village_ID10T

Jul 25, 2014
To be safe, just buy your phones outright! New contract = new terms of service, and yes they can do whatever they want. Buy your phones third party and keep unlimited data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let's not fool ourselves, people using inordinate amounts of data aren't the reason VZ wants to do away with unlimited data. There are plenty of other ways to deal with that. They want more $$. Data is a cash cow because very few users actually understand it. Minutes and Text are easy to keep track of, data is black magic to most people. Those of us who hang onto unlimited data actually understand the value of it. When that value goes away we'll all be re-evaluating our choice of carrier and plan. I know I can use 3 - 6 Gigabytes simply by streaming music while I'm in the car.
    Can't see how they can take it away when buying a phone at full retail price doesn't affect your plan at all. You can walk in and buy the phone and never activate it at the store. If any thing the store workers are being told to do something underhanded. Next time I buy at full retail I won't have them activate the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using XDA Free mobile app
    So my girlfriend works at Verizon and just told me that even if you buy a phone at full retail you can't keep unlimited data. I wanted to start a discussion of everyone's thought on this and if this will make you move to a different provider or if you will still stay. (I will post more when she tells me more information about this)