[HOWTO] enable on-screen buttons in ICS rom

Search This thread

RileyGrant

Jan 17, 2011
Seattle
to everyone getting the errors who says updating aapt isnt working, make sure you swap the one in the sdk with the one from this thread. Then make sure its swapped in your apktool folder, and just to be safe, drop the aapt from this file in the root of your C drive if youre on windows. After following those steps, it now compiles successfully.

Reactions: TRusselo

sixfearstheseven

Mar 24, 2011
Southgate
to everyone getting the errors who says updating aapt isnt working, make sure you swap the one in the sdk with the one from this thread. Then make sure its swapped in your apktool folder, and just to be safe, drop the aapt from this file in the root of your C drive if youre on windows. After following those steps, it now compiles successfully.

It's compiling now thanks to the new aapt, but the final size is 3mb smaller than the original and all I'm changing is a FALSE to a TRUE.

I changed the compression level to 0 and heap size to 512 after reading in another thread that the default 9 and 64 can cause problems, but the only difference it made is that it's now 2mb smaller instead of 3mb.

Seriously, why is this so difficult? This should not be this hard.

sixfearstheseven

Mar 24, 2011
Southgate
I give up...for now.

Discovered that when compiling, all the values folders are excluded. That's why the new apk is so much smaller than the original. Have no idea why they are not being included, and have no idea how to include them.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda premium

Last edited:

GazaIan

Dec 27, 2010
Your basement
twitter.com
Would it be possible to enable the soft buttons on a gingerbread ROM?

~=[,,_,,]:3 <----nyancat :D
No, Gingerbread never had support for on screen buttons.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

I give up...for now.

Discovered that when compiling, all the values folders are excluded. That's why the new apk is so much smaller than the original. Have no idea why they are not being included, and have no idea how to include them.

Is that really why? They're usually just hidden. I recompiled successfully and got a framework that was 3 megs smaller -_- and I pushed it and it booted, but my changes weren't applied. I decompiled it again and everything was there, including the troublesome values folders. I came across an interesting post but didn't try it, you might have luck with it if I can find it.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Is that really why? They're usually just hidden. I recompiled successfully and got a framework that was 3 megs smaller -_- and I pushed it and it booted, but my changes weren't applied. I decompiled it again and everything was there, including the troublesome values folders. I came across an interesting post but didn't try it, you might have luck with it if I can find it.
Here it is, but this is over a year old.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9126643#post9126643

sixfearstheseven

Mar 24, 2011
Southgate

Hmm maybe they are just hidden, but when I decompiled the edited framework, I didn't see the values folders.

I'm interested in seeing that post if you find it. What was it about?

Edit - That is interesting. I'm thinking that the image files used in the navigation bar are missing from the ROM I'm using and that's why it's not showing up.

Last edited:

sixfearstheseven

Mar 24, 2011
Southgate
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20072544

This is an ICS ROM for the Nexus S. What caught my attention was a flashable zip he linked to that enables the on screen nav buttons. I'm looking at it now to see if I can somehow make this work on my Droid Incredible. If someone with more experience could take a look and offer some guidance, I'd be forever grateful. It might have the missing PNG files (if they're even missing).

Last edited:

GazaIan

Dec 27, 2010
Your basement
twitter.com
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20072544

This is an ICS ROM for the Nexus S. What caught my attention was a flashable zip he linked to that enables the on screen nav buttons. I'm looking at it now to see if I can somehow make this work on my Droid Incredible. If someone with more experience could take a look and offer some guidance, I'd be forever grateful. It might have the missing PNG files (if they're even missing).

Won't work, it's a framework-res.apk swap and it will bootloop if you flash it. framework-res.apk is Android's most sensitive file, even a tiny little change could result in a whole brick.

sixfearstheseven

Mar 24, 2011
Southgate
Won't work, it's a framework-res.apk swap and it will bootloop if you flash it. framework-res.apk is Android's most sensitive file, even a tiny little change could result in a whole brick.

My apologies, I didn't mean to use the framework that's in the zip, but instead, find the necessary files from within that framework, put them in mine, then put my framework in that zip and remove the old one, then flash.

After I posted I realized it wouldn't really make a difference if apktool isn't compiling properly for me.

Also, I stumbled across an awesome app earlier here on FDA (or xda, damn autocorrect) called Root Browser. Not only is it a root explorer, but it lets you explore inside apk files. I thought this was going to be the answer to all my problems (except for making my wife less b**chy) - I could open up framework-res without having to decompile, find the XML files that need to be altered, alter them right on my phone, save, reboot and presto! Navigation buttons! But...the values folder isn't there.

Is there a way to make the folder visible without decompiling?

Last edited:

sixfearstheseven

Mar 24, 2011
Southgate
Solved it, all thanks to Perka in the Apk Multi Tool thread...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20241778

When compiling, press y when prompted for system file, then y when prompted to transfer unmodded files. It will say "press any key to continue..." DON'T! First, go to APK multi tool directory and delete resources.resc from the Keep folder. Go back to the console and press any key. I used Droid Explorer for Windows to replace the apk and it FINALLY worked

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda premium

sixfearstheseven

Mar 24, 2011
Southgate

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1323754931925.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1323754931925.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 943

cdesai

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2011
IN YOUR HEAD
If your phone has a big screen, or you have a tablet with ics, add this line in build.prop

ro.product.characteristics=tablet
(change to phone/default to get the original look back)

Some screenshots in my cm9 thread, in Galaxy Tab Development, check my profile for link (looks like hc)

From my fingers to your eyez

Reactions: evilisto

sixfearstheseven

Mar 24, 2011
Southgate
If your phone has a big screen, or you have a tablet with ics, add this line in build.prop

ro.product.characteristics=tablet
(change to phone/default to get the original look back)

Some screenshots in my cm9 thread, in Galaxy Tab Development, check my profile for link (looks like hc)

From my fingers to your eyez

OG Galaxy Tab, or 10.1/8.9? Please say 10.1 and I'm just not seeing the thread.

sixfearstheseven

Mar 24, 2011
Southgate
Very minor issue: changing the dpi causes that blue little circle on the status bar to be off center (just above the back and home button in the screenshot)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1323867545122.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1323867545122.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 841

evilisto

Nov 26, 2010
op updated :)

Very minor issue: changing the dpi causes that blue little circle on the status bar to be off center (just above the back and home button in the screenshot)

that is weird... nexus s doesn't have that problem.

anyway, i updated op and added about buttons resize. so you don't need to lower lcd density anymore. :D

sixfearstheseven

Mar 24, 2011
Southgate
Those are all for CM9. I'm using a Droid Incredible, which doesn't have a CM9 build yet.

What files in the new version are changed? If I knew, I could probably put those files in the framework for the Incredible.

If you use the CM9 Trebuchet launcher, you only need to change the dpi to 225 ONLY IF you go into launcher settings and choose to remove Google search bar. That opens up quite a bit of screen space that can actually be used for widgets and icons.

However, I'd really like to know what you changed to get the icons smaller.

Last edited:

nonione

Aug 10, 2009
S.S.
hey guys i managed to get it working on the sensation :) only thing bugging me is the lockscreen is screwed up i can still unlock the phone it looks ugly

for the record i only modified bools.xml

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    rQhZZ.jpg

sorry for my poor english..:eek: i write this guide by request.

this is pretty simple thing..

1. decompile framework-res.apk
    - you need apktool.jar 1.4.3 version to decompile ics apk.
    download 1.4.3 : http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/downloads/list
    download 1.4.2 : http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/downloads/detail?name=apktool1.4.2.tar.bz2&can=1&q=
    (if you have problems with 1.4.3, use 1.4.2 instead)

2. open /res/values/bools.xml with a text editor

3. find "config_showNavigationBar" and set to true

3UCB9.png

4. to turn off capacitive buttons backlight, maybe you need to edit arrays.xml
    - it does not work on my nexus s but seem to be working well on some other devices..

NwUBu.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * 5 [WVGA devices only] it would be better to slightly resize navigation bar height to avoid keyboard overlapping problem (see this post).
    (or you have to lower lcd density but that cause app compatibility issues)
    : open dimens.xml and find the line "navigation_bar_height".

mTIah.png

and you need one more step to compensate buttons sizes.

download : http://www.mediafire.com/?758mnayrlt3dee4
    this zip include 4 png files. add those files to SystemUI.apk (/res/drawable-hdpi/) using 7-zip or other program. (replace original PNGs to these files).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. recompile
    - you need new aapt.exe from latest platform-tools.
    download : http://www.mediafire.com/?0q52u6v8vdkpq1i

7. done :D

*if you don't know how to modify apk file, read this post first.
    -
    Where did you get apktool 1.4.2?

here it is : http://www.multiupload.com/YWJHOSZ7GJ

you can find it here :)

How would I disable the onscrwen keys in twlauncher 4. 5? Cause we already configured the ics keys to be our softkeus?

Sent from my SCH-I400 using xda premium

sorry but you'd better ask your rom dev to do it..
    The colors are only off because I used Droid Explorer to take the screenshots. The colors are normal (blue) on my phone screen.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

These are the steps I took to get the on screen buttons. Please note that this seems to cause SIGNIFICANT ISSUES on the ROM I used, see my earlier post and screenshots. Please pick a different ROM than the one I used and report back to let us know if you have the same issues.

1. Pick your ROM. I used Evervolv's Preview 5. You can get it from @PreludeDrew's twitter:
    [Dinc] Preview5 - http://goo.gl/NFUXA *** Gapps - http://goo.gl/rtKI0 *** improved stability & various fixes/improvements #Evervolv #ICS

2. Download the ROM.

3. Download APK Multitool kit:
    http://apkmultitool.com/ > Downloads > Download Alpha2
    Unzip and place the "Apk_Multi-Tool" folder on your desktop.

4. Open the ROM .zip file with 7-zip or WinRAR. Navigate to system/framework and copy the "frameworks-res.apk" file to the "Apk_Multi-Tool/place-apk-here-for-modding" folder.

5. Launch APK Multi toolkit by double clicking on "script.bat" in the APK MultiTool
    folder. Do NOT run as administrator. It will launch and say "Press any key to continue...". Do so.

6. You'll be at the main menu. Type in "9" and hit Enter to decompile the .apk you placed in the "place-apk-here-for-modding" folder. You'll see it decompile.

7. Your decompiled apk contents will be in the "\Apk_Multi-Tool\projects\framework-res.apk" folder. Keep APK Multi Tool open.

8. Edit and save your changes to the xml files in the "Apk_Multi-Tool\projects\framework-res.apk\res\values" folder as instructed in the OP. You can edit by just right-clicking on the xml file and selecting "Edit". It will open up in Notepad.

9. Go back to the APK Multi Tool. It should still be on the main page. Type in "11" and hit Enter to compile your edited "framework-res.apk" project. You will be asked if this is a system apk, type in "y" and hit enter. You will be asked a second question. Type in "y" and hit enter. You will see a lot of text scroll through. It will stop and you will be prompted to "press any key to continue..." DO NOT DO ANYTHING YET. Go to the "Apk_Multi-Tool\keep" folder and delete "resources.arsc". Now go back to the APK MultiTool and hit any key. It will finish compiling. You should now have an "unsignedframework-res.apk" file in the Apk_Multi-Tool\place-apk-here-for-modding\" folder. Move this file out and rename it "framework-res.apk".

10. You can now push this to your phone using ADB. What I did was use WinRAR (or you can use 7-zip) to open up the ROM .zip file, delete the original frameworks file, and replace it with this new one. Flash the ROM as usual.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

I repeated the decompilation and recompilation again.

This time, I did not flash a modified ROM. Instead, I took my current regular Preview 5 installation (working perfectly, mind you) and replaced the framework file via ADB in Recovery. Same issue. So it's definitely the changes to the framework file that causes this. Odd.
    Could you try reuploading the file if you still have it? I was so excited to come home and try it, but I'm finding that every time I try to download it, the file is only 55KB. Also do you mind explaining what methods you are doing for recompiling. I like receiving help, but I still would like to learn how to do it myself correctly in the future. Thanks in advance.

I cant re-upload it, it was on my computer at work, however, as my laptop is on, I've done the mod again... :) This time it is in the .rar so your download might be better... It is attached...

I have done it exactly as the OP states, in fact, I found it before reading this thread :)

I use the apktool 1.4.2 modified for ICS (plurals error) (modified by somelese, I found it on XDA) that I have attached..

My post above states all about apktool and where to find it..
    mattmanwrx said:
    check out the apktool google projects page where it states about the framework files installation - Failing that, post in the apktool thread

I also wrote a small guide in Private Messaging to someon on here about how to do a soft key mod...

mattmanwrx said:
    Hi,

Please read about apktool here - http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/ - It should help you with decompiling and compiling, however, I'll still tryo to give instructions below...

firstly, I change directory to where apktool is - so I open command prompt (on windows 7 btw) and

cd desktop/apktool/apktool2

Which takes me to the folder called apktool2 (I have the newest apktool, but apktool2 is an edit of apktool 1.4.2 to work with ICS roms).
    if your framework is already installed, then please skip this bit, however, if you need to install framework, please do so. To install the framework, extract the framework from the rom (usually only needed when there are changes to android, i.e. 4.0.3 I used for all builds, then changed to 4.0.4 when that came out).. to install the framework, type
    Code:
    apktool if framework-res.apk

You can have many different frameworks installed, I have for my Asus Transformer TF101, Evervolv's frameworks for Sandvolds rom, plus others where people have requested me to try the mods for them...

to decompile -
    Code:
    apktool d SystemUI.apk
    to compile -
    Code:
    apktool b SystemUI

Once decompiled, go to the bools.xml and change the false value to true for the navigation bar... (If you wanted to do other mods, please see below)

Close the bools.xml and open up dimens.xml - I then change the navigation bar to half, so the 48 is 24 and the 42 is 21 (I think, these are off the top of my head)..

You may not have to do the dimentions, but I did for the rom I was usin for my desire...

hope this helps you... ;)
    That is what I needed to know. I've been searching Google and XDA for the steps to do this, but it's been kind of murky. I'll try it after I get off of work; I'm trying to get the on-screen buttons for OMX at the moment.

I was going to change the build.prop, but if it's causing these issues, I'll change the nav_bar_height instead.

Also, is it necessary to turn off the capacitive buttons backlight? Does this affect anything?

Thanks again for your help!

No, you don't have to turn the backlights off if you don't want to.

For those of you that want the CM9 Launcher, the link is below. I'm only going to leave it up until nebkat's server is back online with the updated launcher. This one will allow you to remove the search bar and use the extra space. Replace old launcher2 in system/app/ with Root Browser and remember to set the permissions before rebooting. I highly suggest using Root Browser. ES File Explorer has issues with not wanting to delete files from system/apparently/ even with root access enabled and system mounted as R/W

INSTALL ADW OR LAUNCHER PRO BEFORE DELETING. Just in case something happens, you have a home screen to go back to

https://www.box.net/shared/9nx7yjo77injb45dxy5y