[All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

Search This thread

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Who are you to tell me on being a part of the forum or not, who gave you the authority to tell this to anyone.
This is a feedback thread, and I give mine.
If you dont like it dont keep an option for it or simply just dont read them.

And last but not least, most of the members here do have work/college/school, they are not sitting in front of computer all the time and replying to every post on XDA to increase their post count to become so called recognised member/contributer/developer...
Hi there. Yes, this is a feedback thread, and the feedback you are giving is to us: the moderators, administrators and the owners of xda-developers. GermainZ, the user to whom you replied, IS a moderator and, thus, has every "authority" (to put it in your terms) to comment on your feedback.

We read all the feedback given, and we do comment on most of it. As the other moderators have already mentioned to you, the restrictions are there for a purpose and therefore they will not change (unless a better mechanism is suggested/found). That being said, most users have no difficulty reaching the "members" level, which eliminates the posting restrictions and allows you to have signatures. And, as was also already mentioned, if these restrictions are too much of a burden, you are welcome to not post.

I hope this has addressed your issues. As well: welcome to XDA. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

T

Thellubian

Hi there. Yes, this is a feedback thread, and the feedback you are giving is to us: the moderators, administrators and the owners of xda-developers. GermainZ, the user to whom you replied, IS a moderator and, thus, has every "authority" (to put it in your terms) to comment on your feedback.

We read all the feedback given, and we do comment on most of it. As the other moderators have already mentioned to you, the restrictions are there for a purpose and therefore they will not change (unless a better mechanism is suggested/found). That being said, most users have no difficulty reaching the "members" level, which eliminates the posting restrictions and allows you to have signatures. And, as was also already mentioned, if these restrictions are too much of a burden, you are welcome to not post.

I hope this has addressed your issues. As well: welcome to XDA. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Why my previous reply to this message is deleted.

And as being a so called moderator/administrator can you please tell me why my post count is reduced to 26, it was supposed to be 35 excluding this reply.

Stryke_the_Orc

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 14, 2010
Maras Dantia
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
Why my previous reply to this message is deleted.

And as being a so called moderator/administrator can you please tell me why my post count is reduced to 26, it was supposed to be 35 excluding this reply.

Just a guess, but I'd say your posts were deleted as you were arguing only to increase your post count. That considered spam and spam gets deleted.

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul

Reactions: vanessaem
T

Thellubian

Just a guess, but I'd say your posts were deleted as you were arguing only to increase your post count. That considered spam and spam gets deleted.

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul

I was just giving my feedback and was trying to point out something...

But I think the so called moderators were unable to digest that...

Sent using XDA Premium

vanessaem

Retired Senior Moderator / Inactive Themer
Jun 7, 2010
Missouri City
I was just giving my feedback and was trying to point out something...

But I think the so called moderators were unable to digest that...

Sent using XDA Premium

I'm going to tell you this, your attitude leaves much to be desired. Picking arguments with moderators and failing to understand why policies are put in place after being told several times in several different ways, is no way to start your membership on this site. Complaining and belly-aching about the 10-post rule will not change the policy.
If everything here is making you so unhappy and your sole purpose is to be combative, perhaps this isn't the right site for you.

T

Thellubian

I'm going to tell you this, your attitude leaves much to be desired. Picking arguments with moderators and failing to understand why policies are put in place after being told several times in several different ways, is no way to start your membership on this site. Complaining and belly-aching about the 10-post rule will not change the policy.
If everything here is making you so unhappy and your sole purpose is to be combative, perhaps this isn't the right site for you.

Can you please let me know how one can delete his profile and account on XDA, compeletly delete every activity made on XDA which includes threads, posts and email id on xda server...
The member never existed on XDA...
Also how to get refund for XDA app purchased from play store...

Sent using XDA Premium

vanessaem

Retired Senior Moderator / Inactive Themer
Jun 7, 2010
Missouri City
Can you please let me know how one can delete his profile and account on XDA, compeletly delete every activity made on XDA which includes threads, posts and email id on xda server...
The member never existed on XDA...
Also how to get refund for XDA app purchased from play store...

Sent using XDA Premium

You can ask MikeChannon to delete your profile, account, activity on XDA, etc. As far as a refund of your app purchase, you will have to go to the Play Store and go through the proper channels for issuance of refunds like you would any other app. Play Store transactions are not handled on this site.

T

Thellubian

You can ask MikeChannon to delete your profile, account, activity on XDA, etc. As far as a refund of your app purchase, you will have to go to the Play Store and go through the proper channels for issuance of refunds like you would any other app. Play Store transactions are not handled on this site.

Thanks for a quick reply.

Sent using XDA Premium

T

Thellubian

I did PM him 4 hrs back but still waiting for his reply.

Sent using XDA Premium

T

Thellubian

Mike is based in the UK, I doubt he'll have been up 4 hours ago from when you replied. Please allow some time for differing timezones.

Sent from my HTCSensation using Tapatalk

Right now it is 12.30 PM in UK.
But I still dont have a reply.

Sent using XDA Premium

Jonny

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 22, 2011
Right now it is 12.30 PM in UK.
But I still dont have a reply.

Sent using XDA Premium

Probably because they're is a backlog of PM's that he needs to view and reply to. In addition to that, its Saturday and XDA staff are NOT tied to XDA 24/7 - we have lives outside of XDA and other responsibilities to attend to. As I said, allow a little time and it will be sorted.

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
I did PM him 4 hrs back but still waiting for his reply.

Sent using XDA Premium

A lot of mods spend time with their families at weekends. He probably hasn't been on since.

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!

bupkus

Mar 4, 2014
Developers should be able to filter out peeps to leave only those who contribute. Offered both + and - lists just like with routers. Good idea? Do the thing.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

Jonny

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 22, 2011
Developers should be able to filter out peeps to leave only those who contribute. Offered both + and - lists just like with routers. Good idea? Do the thing.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

That would mean that developers would be acting like moderators within their own threads which as pointed out on this post leaves too much potential for abuse.

D™

May 23, 2012
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ Watching You @!@
That would mean that developers would be acting like moderators within their own threads which as pointed out on this post leaves too much potential for abuse.

May i add a point here.

1) If possible, we can give RD a right to allow newbies Question or suggestions at His / Her thread. like, while making any thread at Dev section a tick of "Noobs Suggestions" there. so that if Only that Dev wants then only Noob can ask or give suggestions. I agreed that it will b acting like a Moderator. But it won't allow Dev to delete or modify any post.

Using this we might understand what Dev actually wants.

or

2) As we can see In DevDB, we have option of Question and Answer tab at above of thread topic. Like that, if any Newbies posts at Dev thread, can b transferred to that General Discussion thread or Q/A thread, automatically.

That post can be seen at Dev thread but with the sign/template/color of Discussion thread. If any user quote that post, to answer, can be transferred to that Discussion thread like i said above.

This is what I m thinking from last many days.

Sent Using my MOTO© G® from Tapatalk Pro - D™

Last edited:

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
May i add a point here.

1) If possible, we can give RD a right to allow newbies Question or suggestions at His / Her thread. like, while making any thread at Dev section a tick of "Noobs Suggestions" there. so that if Only that Dev wants then only Noob can ask or give suggestions. I agreed that it will b acting like a Moderator. But it won't allow Dev to delete or modify any post.

Using this we might understand what Dev actually wants.

or

2) As we can see In DevDB, we have option of Question and Answer tab at above of thread topic. Like that, if any Newbies posts at Dev thread, can b transferred to that General Discussion thread or Q/A thread, automatically.

That post can be seen at Dev thread but with the sign/template/color of Discussion thread. If any user quote that post, to answer, can be transferred to that Discussion thread like i said above.

This is what I m thinking from last many days.

Sent Using my MOTO© G® from Tapatalk Pro - D™

There is no reason for a noob to post until Dev threads. Not until they learn more.

You have to remember that this is a developers site. Made for and by developers. This is not a rom, support or user site.

Bat cave One

Reactions: MistahBungle

D™

May 23, 2012
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ Watching You @!@
There is no reason for a noob to post until Dev threads. Not until they learn more.

You have to remember that this is a developers site. Made for and by developers. This is not a rom, support or user site.

Bat cave One

I knew it already, who said its not a Dev site.;) But for new Joinee not for Noobs. There is much difference between them.:D

BTW, I am asking about Developer interest. If a RD not other Users, wants then only. Means, if an RD gets right to let new Users to post for suggestions or bug reporting. Like I said above, in my Point no 2. :eek:

Hope I made you clear. :fingers-crossed:

bupkus

Mar 4, 2014
You misunderstand. I am suggesting that developers can mark a person as an always see (+ list) or never see (- list) for their own personal viewing ONLY. This would not impose a display censorship for anyone else viewing the thread.

Last edited:

Jonny

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 22, 2011
You misunderstand. I am suggesting that developers can mark a person as an always see (+ list) or never see (- list) for their own personal viewing ONLY. This would not impose a display censorship for anyone else viewing the thread.

This is what adding people to your ignore list does I think.

Sent from my HTCSensation using Tapatalk

Reactions: D™

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's a great idea but it doesn't seem like XDA was designed for cloth conventions. :confused:
    I just thought it would me a nice way of spreading awareness of XDA.
    Just a little request regarding XDA merchandise as the current ones from Zazzle are outdated. What I recommend is to have T-Shirts, hats, Hoodies, ect. This would make it easier as it could generate revenue and awareness. Another cool idea is to "personalize" these items by adding a username or avatar. That would be an interesting concept.

Thank you.
    That's a great idea but it doesn't seem like XDA was designed for cloth conventions. :confused:
    Just a little request regarding XDA merchandise as the current ones from Zazzle are outdated. What I recommend is to have T-Shirts, hats, Hoodies, ect. This would make it easier as it could generate revenue and awareness. Another cool idea is to "personalize" these items by adding a username or avatar. That would be an interesting concept.

Thank you.
    After reading a few threads and comments from our members I thought it may be worthwhile to create a Feedback, Recommendations or Idea's thread for XDA. We want to improve our forum for developers and the normal users.

So, rather than sending a PM to a Moderator, please feel free to leave any feedback or idea's you may have to improve XDA, so we can discuss them properly, openly, with the plan to hopefully implement the ideas which are good.

It's sole purpose is to improve XDA and collect your thoughts and idea's.

We will all be monitoring this thread, and someone will hopefully reply without much delay.

Thanks

Rick
    Moderator/Developer Committee

Edits done by Clark Joseph Kent to better support XDA.
    XDA-Developers needs to be more about developers

While I see that time and users have made XDA less about development and more about user support, I think XDA has gone too far in that direction.

Developers need a place to DISCUSS development.

The "General" subforums are too overwhelmed with threads like "Post pictures of your phone", "list of threads linked from other places" and other random "general user" stuff.

The "Q&A" subforums are now a place where moderators chase newbies to. The most technical question you might find in the Q&A section these days is "I just bricked my phone, what do I do?" (Usually, the answers are either making fun of the OP or telling him/her to search.)

The "Development" subforums, which seems like a logical place to discuss development, is now reserved for people to post finish products only and beg for donations - It's the XDA version of the "app store." There's no actual "development" discussion allowed.

Here's what we don't have anymore (but desperately need):

A place where a kernel developer could start a thread discussing the pitfalls of turning off processor cores on a particular device when the device is idle. That would likely lead into a discussion on possible ways to optimize the IN/OUT code for the cores, which would actually *gasp* promote development.

A place where a person might post a "HOW TO" document describing how to modify a stock firmware for a specific device to override carrier controlled lock downs. (For example, editing the CSC for a samsung device.)

A place for development related DISCUSSION - not just a subform for "I cobbled together mods I copied from other people into a so-called ROM and will now beg you to donate to me and press my "thanks" button."

XDA promotes itself as a DEVELOPERS FORUM. The definition of "forum" is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." Doesn't that seem to indicate that development related discussion would be encouraged here?

(continued...)

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

So, the obvious question about my post above is how do you moderate a "developers discussion" subforum?

I honestly don't see a problem with that. You make posting access to that subforum by request only. The access should be granted pretty freely but with a note reminding the user that any non-development discussions will result in loss of access to those subforums. Plain and simple. Any RD's or ERD's would automatically be given access without the need to post a request.

Only developers should moderate those subforums, as the fact is that XDA has some moderators that have no clue whatsoever what "development" is.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that XDA's ERDs would be given final say in moderating those subforums. Actually, it might be a good idea to give ERDs final say in moderating all the development related forums - including the existing so-called "development" and "original development" subforums.

I'll have one more post to discuss the current vagueness of the rules and the random enforcement of them...
    Seriously tempted to just ban the next person who talks about the 10 post rule in here. Obviously they don't read the OP and don't care. They just want to complain. Well maybe I don't care about their accounts any more and will just delete them.
    I don't read this thread for over a day and all hell breaks loose.

Unfortunately, the last few pages is not the way I intended this thread to go. Instead of being suggestings to improve XDA, it has been steered down the road of "should we have OT threads in device forums or not"

Can we try and steer away from this for a second and get back to the threads purpose with sensible suggestions. Now with all suggestions, discussion needs to take place so we can decide if the proposal is worthwhile or not. This is not us (mods & admin) ruling out your suggestions, it is us discussing your suggestion to see whether or not it would work with XDA.

I personally value all suggestions, unfortunately we can not implement them all, but we (XDA) will do our best to listen, communicate with you and move forward with suggestions which will work

Thanks
    I think every overlooks one thing - if they try to spam OT, it's easy to find and remove, and reset their accounts. Our FSMs will spot it in device forums.

I think in general we catch spammers faster in OT than elsewhere... So surely that helps, given it keeps OT clean..

Regards to OT, I think the perceived problem is one of maturity. I know most of those involved claim to be adults, but some of the pointless threads about banana and llama are frankly a waste of space... OT used to be about mature debate and humour, but now it seems dominated by a highly insular group who spend inordinate amounts of time there, which would be more productively spent getting a job, or constructively posting to help people having problems..