FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Video Player with Chromecast Support

5,048 posts
Thanks Meter: 908
 
By ermacwins, Senior Member on 6th April 2014, 01:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th April 2014, 04:23 AM |#21  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
More
My favorites are Web Video Caster for casting videos from websites (ie. couchtuner) and BubbleUPnP for everything else.
 
 
9th April 2014, 03:49 PM |#22  
ermacwins's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 908
 
Donate to Me
More
@Asphyx you seem to know quite abbit about chromecast. Can you point me in the direction of what is need to play local files from a code point of view? We were thinking of making a video player with cast support built in. From what we tried from viral (app in my sig), it plays online streams (non youtube) but doesnt show cast icon for local files.

Thanks
9th April 2014, 05:43 PM |#23  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 374
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermacwins

@Asphyx you seem to know quite abbit about chromecast. Can you point me in the direction of what is need to play local files from a code point of view? We were thinking of making a video player with cast support built in. From what we tried from viral (app in my sig), it plays online streams (non youtube) but doesnt show cast icon for local files.

Thanks

Coding isn't really my forte, I can code (most of my work is on OS/Firmware) and do debug code but most of my work with it is from the engineering side of the equation. @bubbleguuum or @EarlyMon might be better suited to answer your request. But most all of what you need is in the CCast SDK. The rest is all part of the Android SDK (things like Media Router which you probably already use (or should be) to find your available CCast devices)

Not familiar with your App or how your doing your CCast icon. (so forgive any wrong assumptions here) Cast Icon should be displayed anytime there is a CCast detected on the network regardless of the content, but I'm guessing your just using the YouTube Cast Icon that is built into the YouTube web based player app which is why when other content is displayed your not getting a cast Icon.

A solution will soon be available as JW Player (a VERY popular way to embed HTML5 Video into Web pages) has announced they will add CCast support to their Web Player. Since that can also play You Tube it might solve all of your problems except the navigation part of browsing which files to cast.

But until it is actually available your really going to have to use the CCast SDK and create your own Cast Icon, detect available units and send the proper linkage to the CCast. How that needs to be done will vary based on the Player/receiver app you have created to run on the CCast side.
10th April 2014, 12:57 AM |#24  
Junior Member
Flag oakdale
Thanks Meter: 0
 
Donate to Me
More
The official vlc media player for android coupled with v-get is the best and easiest method I found for casting any media off of chrome browser. No PC involved and its extremely easy. I still would love a way to cast unsupported media formats off of native apps the same way without a PC though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
12th April 2014, 12:55 PM |#25  
ermacwins's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 908
 
Donate to Me
More
@EarlyMon can you help with coding local content to play?
12th April 2014, 05:56 PM |#26  
EarlyMon's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 885
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermacwins

@EarlyMon can you help with coding local content to play?

Probably not as I'm on a new job and slammed.

Regardless, drop me a PM, let me know where you are with the SDK and any other details since the conversation started and I'll be happy to chip in as time allows.
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift EarlyMon Ad-Free
13th April 2014, 06:12 AM |#27  
Jersey846's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 214
 
More
Tried Avia around January and absolutely hated it. It was horrendous for what I was trying to do. Which was simply stream videos from my phone to the Chromecast. Constant buffering. It's possible that they have improved the app, but I have always been pleased with AllCast from the beginning. It's all I used it's worked flawlessly for streaming to Chromecast, xbox 360, xbox one, and Apple TV. Never had an issue. Would never use Avia again.

Sent from my Droid Razr M using xda app-developers app
13th April 2014, 11:31 PM |#28  
ermacwins's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 908
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon

Probably not as I'm on a new job and slammed.

Regardless, drop me a PM, let me know where you are with the SDK and any other details since the conversation started and I'll be happy to chip in as time allows.

Well the app is pretty much done but doesn't cast local videos. You can try with viral (see my sig) open a video and press cast, it will show viral starting up on TV but that's it, video doesn't play
14th April 2014, 05:46 PM |#29  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
I used Avia as well. Not the best player, but best solution out there IMO. I'd love to run a Plex server, but don't really have a dedicated PC/server to do so with. Either way, the streaming apps play nice enough with Avia so that I can stream just about any movie/tv show that I can think of. Anyways, here's to hoping CC supports more formats in the future.
14th April 2014, 06:39 PM |#30  
Jersey846's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 214
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelydan9918

I used Avia as well. Not the best player, but best solution out there IMO. I'd love to run a Plex server, but don't really have a dedicated PC/server to do so with. Either way, the streaming apps play nice enough with Avia so that I can stream just about any movie/tv show that I can think of. Anyways, here's to hoping CC supports more formats in the future.

Have you tried AllCast? Being that you've said Avia is the best around I was curious what you didn't like about AllCast.

Sent from my Droid Razr M using xda app-developers app
28th February 2015, 06:16 AM |#31  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
I believe VLC now supports casting...

I did have pretty good results by casting my screen and just going full screen in a video player as well.

Sent from my SM-T900 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes