[Recoveries][Jan-5-14] TWRP 2.6.3.0 + CWM 6.0.4.6

Search This thread

SilverL

Aug 24, 2010
Chesapeake
Mount USB storage does not work with CWM. Will sort out soon... maybe...

First thing.
Users:
Q: Why not make 2 separate posts?
A1: Normally I'd say "I Didn't feel like it", but its more like "I didn't see the need to."
A2: You all should be adult enough to say which you're using if problems arise.

Q: Why label beta.
A: Cause testing is really needed and I don't count myself as a test.

Q: What works?
A: Flashing, USB mount, wiping.... you know recovery stuff....

Developers:
Q: We've been trying and havent been able to get usb mounting to work... How did you?
A1: I didnt really... I figured the problem didnt come from any of the setup used to build the recovery... but the recovery kernel itself.
A2: I used the stable CWM5504, pulled the kernel from that and used the prebuilt kernel in place of building from source. Hopefully a real genius *cough*kornyone*cough* hits the nail *IF* he ever has spare time. PS thanks to xmcwildchild's stable.

Clockworkmod 6.0.4.6 (MD5: 9d37a1029b9f5e79bbef8cb55632e7d7)

Team Win Recovery Project 2.6.3.0 (MD5: 2a227d0607e10892e7d5e15d0d3a4625)

Team Win Recovery Project 2.6.3.0 w/ DumLock (MD5: f3af450c43c03d790f8e1241a60d6efc)

TWRP Update info @ http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

Backups (there are some changes in future roms that made it problematic to flash with older recoveries, noobie kieranmenor reported a problem not being able to flash older roms with the current TWRP.)

Clockworkmod 6.0.3.6
Team Win Recovery Project 2.6.3.0
Team Win Recovery Project 2.6.3.0 w/ DumLock

Typical disclaimers apply. Good luck.

Last edited:

anitgandhi

Oct 8, 2011
ahh yes thanks for making these! i contacted riyal about twrp 2.3, he said he didn't know it was out of beta and that he would look into it (and then i think his phone died?) and now you picked it up! will test and let you know how it goes.

btw does it have offline charging? i remember riyal made an offline charging version of his twrp

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

for those who want to flash this but don't know how, here are instructions (from an old recovery thread by xmc_wildchild22

From Terminal Emulator
su
dd if=/sdcard/RECOVERY.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21
reboot recovery

From ADB
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery RECOVERY.img
fastboot reboot

where "RECOVERY.img" is the respective name of the recovery you want to flash

SilverL

Aug 24, 2010
Chesapeake
ahh yes thanks for making these! i contacted riyal about twrp 2.3, he said he didn't know it was out of beta and that he would look into it (and then i think his phone died?) and now you picked it up! will test and let you know how it goes.

btw does it have offline charging? i remember riyal made an offline charging version of his twrp

No, it does what the phone normally does. Orange blinking light where you cant do squat til you take it off the charger.

I also dont know how he did it, and... may not be able to add it myself. :/

Fuzi0719

Jul 15, 2009
Palm Springs, CA
First thing.

Users:
A1: Normally I'd say "I Didn't feel like it", but its more like "I didn't see the need to."

Developers:
Q: We've been trying and havent been able to get usb mounting to work... How did you?
A1: I didnt really... I figured the problem didnt come from any of the setup used to build the recovery... but the recovery kernel itself.
A2: I used the stable CWM5504, pulled the kernel from that and used the prebuilt kernel in place of building from source. Hopefully a real genius *cough*kornyone*cough* hits the nail *IF* he ever has spare time.

Clockworkmod 6.0.2.7

Team Win Recovery Project 2.3.3.0

What are the technical benefits/detractions (pluses/minuses) of these compared to CWM 5.5.0.4 or 5.0.2.7?

SilverL

Aug 24, 2010
Chesapeake
What are the technical benefits/detractions (pluses/minuses) of these compared to CWM 5.5.0.4 or 5.0.2.7?

Aside from reading somewhere that the newer versions of android(4.2+) will require a recovery update.
Also saw it here too.

Both of these recoveries have installing from sideload, ability to delete backups from within the recovery, higher version numbers(always means better -_-) and some other minor things.

TWRP you can name backups immediately. Full touch interface, extremely theme-able. Works well with GooManager. Queue multiple zips.
CWM has another backup type option dedupe(not a fan of it). Looks better...

Essentially about as technical as going from ICS to JB and JB to new JB. -_-

Last edited:
Reactions: levp and Fuzi0719

butch87402

Feb 8, 2010
hartford
Its the default one on TeamDS. Minor changes because I had to use that prebuild kernel. Its currently a mess. What do you think would be missing? Have you encountered any problems?

When I turned on the theme prom and the emulate processes or something like that in twrp I had problems flaking a rom I even rebooted the recovery so I turned that option off then my roms flash again
Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using xda premium

SilverL

Aug 24, 2010
Chesapeake
When I turned on the theme prom and the emulate processes or something like that in twrp I had problems flaking a rom I even rebooted the recovery so I turned that option off then my roms flash again

Exact options would be helpful...

Anyway. If you turned on a theme and the simulate actions for theme testing.

Then I assume the simulate options is what caused the not problem you had.

Before you start creating a custom theme, you should tap on settings and tap the checkbox for "Simulate most actions for theme testing" to enable simualation mode. This setting will cause TWRP to simulate most actions including installing zips, backup, restore, partitioning sdcards, etc. In this mode you can safely test a theme without wearing out the memory chips on your device. There's also a checkbox for simulating failure that will appear on the settings page when you turn on simulation mode. This checkbox will cause TWRP to report a failure for all simulated actions instead of success so that you can provide the appropriate message on the screen. Don't forget to disable simulation mode when you're done!
- Source

Fuzi0719

Jul 15, 2009
Palm Springs, CA
Aside from reading somewhere that the newer versions of android(4.2+) will require a recovery update.
Also saw it here too.

Both of these recoveries have installing from sideload, ability to delete backups from within the recovery, higher version numbers(always means better -_-) and some other minor things.

TWRP you can name backups immediately. Full touch interface, extremely theme-able. Works well with GooManager. Queue multiple zips.
CWM has another backup type option dedupe(not a fan of it). Looks better...

Essentially about as technical as going from ICS to JB and JB to new JB. -_-
Is the new CWM or TWRP compatible with the backups done with CWM 5.5.0.4/5.0.2.7? All of my nandroid backups are done with 5.5.0.4.

SilverL

Aug 24, 2010
Chesapeake
Is the new CWM or TWRP compatible with the backups done with CWM 5.5.0.4/5.0.2.7? All of my nandroid backups are done with 5.5.0.4.

TWRP is not compatible with CWM and vice versa. The CWM backups should still be compatible. One way to test is to flash, see what happens if it doesnt work... go back? Doesnt kill. I did it when testing and swapped between TWRP and CWM and back to old 5.5.0.4 then back to these again. Now I'm on TWRP, hopefully permanently.

Reactions: Fuzi0719

aawillma

Feb 24, 2012
Phoenix
Flashed TWRP and immediately backed up my CM9 nightly without a problem. Mounted USB storage and transferred over a new ROM, went back and forth to bootloader since I'm S-ON, no problem. This recovery doesn't feel beta to me, in a good way. I haven't tried restoring from my backup yet but I'm not worried. I got spoiled using 4EXT on my old phone and going back to CWM never felt right. This TWRP is definitely a step in the right direction. Being able to boot into bootloader from recovery is awesome from a S-ON standpoint. No more waiting to power off and then restart holding buttons or screwing it up and having to remove my case for a batpull. Full touch support speaks for itself.

Thanks so much for getting us a new recovery option. This is the biggest update for our device in a while :good:

SilverL

Aug 24, 2010
Chesapeake
Flashed TWRP and immediately backed up my CM9 nightly without a problem. Mounted USB storage and transferred over a new ROM, went back and forth to bootloader since I'm S-ON, no problem. This recovery doesn't feel beta to me, in a good way. I haven't tried restoring from my backup yet but I'm not worried. I got spoiled using 4EXT on my old phone and going back to CWM never felt right. This TWRP is definitely a step in the right direction. Being able to boot into bootloader from recovery is awesome from a S-ON standpoint. No more waiting to power off and then restart holding buttons or screwing it up and having to remove my case for a batpull. Full touch support speaks for itself.

Thanks so much for getting us a new recovery option. This is the biggest update for our device in a while :good:

Overall they should be stable, I listed them as beta because I cannot account my successes as testing. I would like to see a few more pages before classifying as stable.

I'd also like to possibly build them completely from source at some point too.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
@SilverL
I just noticed your thread and I'm glad you saved me time updating my TWRP recovery. I lost all the source code of my previous twrp and was frustrated porting it again from scratch :) Downloading it now...

By the way the offline charging version of my TWRP is here

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1374782&d=1349346744

just extract the ramdisk and you should see the workaround I made. There's no additional binary added. The offline charging I made is just pure shell script and edits on the rc files so it should be pretty easy for you.

Regarding a full compile use a CM7 kernel and add the doubleshot board files and drivers and you should be good to go. Also I used the boardconfig of MT4G(non slide).

Anyways the boardconfig isn't the issue but the kernel. The USB driver of ICS isn't compatible with twrp and that's the issue. Even Dees_Troy couldn't even make a build with fully working USB on CM9

Last edited:
Reactions: nj12nets

SilverL

Aug 24, 2010
Chesapeake
@SilverL
I just noticed your thread and I'm glad you saved me time updating my TWRP recovery. I lost all the source code of my previous twrp and was frustrated porting it again from scratch :) Downloading it now...

By the way the offline charging version of my TWRP is here

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1374782&d=1349346744

just extract the ramdisk and you should see the workaround I made. There's no additional binary added. The offline charging I made is just pure shell script and edits on the rc files so it should be pretty easy for you.

Regarding a full compile use a CM7 kernel and add the doubleshot board files and drivers and you should be good to go. Also I used the boardconfig of MT4G(non slide).

Anyways the boardconfig isn't the issue but the kernel. The USB driver of ICS isn't compatible with twrp and that's the issue. Even Dees_Troy couldn't even make a build with fully working USB on CM9

Thanks, I figured it needed a gb kernel to do its thing. Especially after I realize the android usb kernel driver is also responsible for adb(which didnt work either). Also its not just with twrp, it affects cwm as well. Both of these use the exact same kernel.

If getting an old kernel if required then I wont even worry about it. I'll just keep my CM10 build environment the way it is just in case I have to update these in the future. I will also check out the shell script and the rc edit. Thanks, if you want to take twrp back its all yours.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
to be more specific it's this one

init.rc
service detect_charge /sbin/detect_charge
oneshot

and on

/sbin/detect_charge
#!/sbin/sh

if [ `cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_enabled` = '1' ]
then
start offmode_charging
else
start recovery
fi

kill -9 $$

Can't do anything as of the moment since I don't have any working MT4GS at hand. Also I have lots of different projects planned so I might leave twrp to you as it is here.

Reactions: golden-guy

SilverL

Aug 24, 2010
Chesapeake
to be more specific it's this one
init.rc
and on
/sbin/detect_charge
Can't do anything as of the moment since I don't have any working MT4GS at hand. Also I have lots of different projects planned so I might leave twrp to you as it is here.

I'll try to throw this in for the guys that want it....

And since no one has complained(except for that one guy who couldnt flash because he put his phone in the 'feature' to simulate those events rather than actually do them) or died. I'll consider these stable. :)

Might also have to add my usual, "I am a jerk. Will laugh at you if you do something dumb, etc." disclaimer to this as well since.... most people dont know that I am. -_-

edwardng

Mar 6, 2011
Bukit Mertajam
Flashed CWM 6!!!

everything is fine

however, transfering titanium backup files from pc to microsd class 10 is kinda of slow when i mounted it as usb storage inside the recovery
and

thank you for your good work. What's next? CWM touch?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mount USB storage does not work with CWM. Will sort out soon... maybe...

First thing.
    Users:

Developers:
    A2: I used the stable CWM5504, pulled the kernel from that and used the prebuilt kernel in place of building from source. Hopefully a real genius *cough*kornyone*cough* hits the nail *IF* he ever has spare time. PS thanks to xmcwildchild's stable.

Clockworkmod 6.0.4.6 (MD5: 9d37a1029b9f5e79bbef8cb55632e7d7)

Team Win Recovery Project 2.6.3.0 (MD5: 2a227d0607e10892e7d5e15d0d3a4625)

Team Win Recovery Project 2.6.3.0 w/ DumLock (MD5: f3af450c43c03d790f8e1241a60d6efc)

TWRP Update info @ http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

Backups (there are some changes in future roms that made it problematic to flash with older recoveries, noobie kieranmenor reported a problem not being able to flash older roms with the current TWRP.)

Clockworkmod 6.0.3.6
    Team Win Recovery Project 2.6.3.0
    Team Win Recovery Project 2.6.3.0 w/ DumLock

Hope you guys didnt miss me too much.

Update TWRP to 2.6.3.0 and CWM to 6.0.3.6

Had them and forgot to upload them.... sorry.
    Updated CWM to latest version. Will be needed for future 4.4 builds so devs dont need to worry about finding the right repo with the mod to allow older recoveries to flash.

TWRP is build from a recent pull but version number hasnt changed because it has only had cleanups since.

Happy New Year guys!!
    Update TWRP to 2.6.0.0 and CWM to 6.0.3.3
    No rush appreciate the work mate

Update TWRP, will try to get CWM updated sometime this week.... most likely the weekend...