[APP] BLN control - the official BLN settings app by neldar

Search This thread

Maestroo90

Apr 8, 2013
Hey guys,

I've installed this app on my GT-I8150 Galaxy W with the Batur Kernel and CM10.1 but i can't use BLN, because liblights does not support BLN. I'm wondering because the Kernel supports BNL.
What can I do now?

Altough your kernel supports BLN it could not support this app. For example, I have been using CM9 of arco for my samsung GS+. RC3 and RC6 both support BLN. For the RC6 you could use the app but, for the RC3 the it doesn't work, and you have to configure the BLN on: setting-> device-> advanced settings. At least for my device. Try this way. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda app-developers app

neldar

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
Altough your kernel supports BLN it could not support this app. For example, I have been using CM9 of arco for my samsung GS+. RC3 and RC6 both support BLN. For the RC6 you could use the app but, for the RC3 the it doesn't work, and you have to configure the BLN on: setting-> device-> advanced settings. At least for my device. Try this way. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda app-developers app

What bln kernel version is displayed if you press the status view?

Darius_bd

Aug 27, 2010
Santiago + Gdynia
Quick question, does this app enables the BLNWW (BLN Without Wakelock) mode in some kernels for the i9100? I used STweaks with Siyah before but now I'm with another kernel with BLNWW support and I cant use that app. Alas, it seems this BLN Control keeps the phone awake...

Cyberchecker

Feb 9, 2011
I have problem with BLN Control. My phone cant enter deepsleep when i dont have any missed calles/sms/mails. Led shouldnt light but in betterbatterystats in Kernel Wakelocks i have BLN_WAKE_LOCK. It prevents my phone from deepsleep. Can anyone help me solve this. Ive noticed that issue is after recieve call/sms/mail but after confirmation BLN_WAKE_LOCK do not go off and wakes my phone. HELP :crying:

I have the same phone and same issue. I'm using CM10 by ivendor RC2 (It didn't work on RC1 as well...) Sometimes it does unlock deep sleep after a new notification but most of the time I have to reboot the phone to get it to deep sleep again.
Very annoying, I disabled BLN for now but I really want to get it to work

EmDzei

Dec 12, 2009
F1nland
Start on boot

Hi!

I have to enable BLN Pro after every boot. What I have did wrong now?

I am on Gingerbread Value Edition v2.3.6 and rooted by Semaphore 2.7.4sc kernel. Phone is Samsung Galasy S (GT-I9000).

First I installed Superuser and now have tryed with SuperSU. No different or help.

Can I set autostarting on some file? Where?

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
So I love this pro version a lot... However I don't like that you cannot limit just blink notifications for sms messages and not email notifications.

Has anyone here ventured into using this as a plugin in tasker and if so, could you share your xml profiles or give me a run-down on how to set it up?

A

anugotta

Great work Kudos

This app does only work, if you have a kernel with BacklightNotification (bln) mod on your phone installed.

Go and get BLN for Samsung i9000 Eclair, Froyo or Gingerbread or any other kernel/rom with BacklightNotification support.
Or visit this page to view a list with supported phones by BLN.

What is the BLN mod?
The BLN mod turns the touchkey backlights into a notification led.
It enables the notification led api for any android application that supports notifications by led.
If you dont have the BLN mod installed, the app provides you instructions how to install the BLN mod.

What does this app?
This application gives you control over the BacklightNotification (bln) mod settings on your phone.

What features does the Free version have?
  • enable/disable BacklightNotification function (without uninstalling bln)
  • test BacklightNotification
  • update notification (notifies you about new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases)

Additional features in the Pro version:
  • widget
  • scheduler (disable BLN at night, ...)
  • locale plug-in(s) for: bln status, blinking, scheduler, static led, notification led
  • adjustable timeout of static led notification
  • blinking**:
    • adjustable on/off led period
    • adjustable overall blinking duration (5-60 minutes or unlimited)
    • select led status after blinking ends(on/off)
    • stop blinking if battery is below a selectable % level
  • adds led notifications for:
    • missed calls

** Please notice that blinking consumes more energy than static backlight!

Download the app from market:
Free | Pro
attachment.php

The price for the Pro version is 0.99€ (~ 1.99 US$).
The Pro version is available at the android market (creditcard) and at androidpit (paypal, clickandbuy).

If you find an issue, please report it here in the thread.

Which features will be added to future Pro versions?
  • suggest me a feature

What permissions are used for which features?
  • RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: to activate BLN at boot and start the services
  • INTERNET: for update notification (new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases - you can disable the notification in the update settings) and for the compatibility check (the app receive instructions for you, if the app detects that something is wrong with the BLN setup)
  • READ_PHONE_STATE: to detect if an incoming call could become a missed call
  • WAKE_LOCK: services & schedule (reactivating interrupted led notifications, froyo only)

Translations already done:
  • Dutch
  • French
  • German
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Swedish

The initial translations into Dutch, French, Russian and Spanish have been realized at crowdin.net with the help of adequacy, andifds, elroy911, HERVEG, HTCDevil, Jaax, jbnitro, ravexx, Rebel2k and Shaymelmed. Thank you.
The translations into Japanese, Korean and Swedish have been realized at icanlocalize.com.

Translations pending:
  • Chinese (Simplified) - suspended, no sufficient Chinese market service
  • Chinese (Traditional) - see above
  • Czech
  • Italian
  • Polish

Kernel-devs / rom cookers: Please do only integrate the FREE version of this app into your releases.

FAQ:

How do i enable led notification for ...?
  • touchwiz sms: notification is only possible if you use another sms app (e.g. Go SMS) or if you use a patched sms app or a patched services.jar
  • touchwiz email: notification by default
  • gmail: notification by default
  • Google talk: notification by default
  • calendar: download "Calendar notifier" app from market (alternative)
  • call: BLN control - Pro from market
  • any other apps:
    ask the author of the app for notification led support

The led notification is enabled in app xyz, but it still dont work, why?
This only a problem of Android >= 2.3. Led notifications in Android >= 2.3 do only work if the screen is powered off. You can not trigger a led notification while the screen is powered on and any led notification is automatically dismissed if the screen becomes powered on. This is a general "problem" of all gingerbread phones. This behavior is a design decision of the asop team and they think this is not important enough to be mentioned in the Android SDK documentation. The BLN control app has a workaround implemented for the internal call, locale/tasker plug-in & test notification. Any other apps may have also a option to disable the screen before these apps try to trigger led notifications (e.g. Go SMS).

How much does this modification affect battery life?
With backlight notification permanently powered on, the battery lasts around 82 hours (around 3,5 days, 1,22% per hour). This means, that activated backlights will increase battery usage by about 0,18% per hour. If there is no backlight notification ongoing, battery life is normal (around 96 hours, 1,04% per hour). Measurements were made on a i9000 (eclair) with enabled flight mode.

The sgs2 does currently (6th august 2011) rely on a kernel wakelock, that does affect the battery more than on other phones.
This is an exception from the general bln behavior and may hopefully change in future.

How do you test the battery consumption? This is a common and reliable method.

Could you add a fade feature?
That is only possible on some phones, most hardware is limited (by controller firmware) to simple on/off. Maybe I add these capability in the future.

The blinking or the missed call notification of the pro app are not reliably working, what is wrong?
The lowmemorykiller of your phone is configured with too aggressive settings, thereby the app services are killed and not restarted.
Either you use less aggressive settings or you have to live with the fact that your settings make things unreliable.
Btw, it is better to have less free ram in android. A lot of free ram on a android device indicates that it is inefficiently working.

Really liked the post....:cyclops:

iqbalstmba

Dec 26, 2012
HTC One need mod

these mod can't work on my phone
is there any bln-mod for htc one m7 :confused:

Last edited:

Rebel2k

May 19, 2007
I agree it would be nice to update the app to clean the two persistent notifications.

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9000 en utilisant Tapatalk 4

beardedwonder

Oct 11, 2010
Reactions: ( V ) and Rebel2k

Stefano187

May 15, 2012
Frosinone
Hi, I'm sorry for bothering but I've noticed the same behaviour described before with the two persisting icons in the notification bar with Android 4.3. If you could "fix" this you will confirm the Idol that you are. Thank you so much for your work.
Regards
Stefano

Sent from my GT-I9001 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

aleguti

Oct 3, 2008
Persistent notifications

I second Stefano's motion :good:

Hi, I'm sorry for bothering but I've noticed the same behaviour described before with the two persisting icons in the notification bar with Android 4.3. If you could "fix" this you will confirm the Idol that you are. Thank you so much for your work.
Regards
Stefano

Sent from my GT-I9001 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This app does only work, if you have a kernel with BacklightNotification (bln) mod on your phone installed.

Go and get BLN for Samsung i9000 Eclair, Froyo or Gingerbread or any other kernel/rom with BacklightNotification support.
    Or visit this page to view a list with supported phones by BLN.

What is the BLN mod?
    The BLN mod turns the touchkey backlights into a notification led.
    It enables the notification led api for any android application that supports notifications by led.
    If you dont have the BLN mod installed, the app provides you instructions how to install the BLN mod.

What does this app?
    This application gives you control over the BacklightNotification (bln) mod settings on your phone.

What features does the Free version have?
    • enable/disable BacklightNotification function (without uninstalling bln)
    • test BacklightNotification
    • update notification (notifies you about new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases)

Additional features in the Pro version:
    • widget
    • scheduler (disable BLN at night, ...)
    • locale plug-in(s) for: bln status, blinking, scheduler, static led, notification led
    • adjustable timeout of static led notification
    • blinking**:
      • adjustable on/off led period
      • adjustable overall blinking duration (5-60 minutes or unlimited)
      • select led status after blinking ends(on/off)
      • stop blinking if battery is below a selectable % level
    • adds led notifications for:
      • missed calls

** Please notice that blinking consumes more energy than static backlight!

Download the app from market:
    Free | Pro
    attachment.php

The price for the Pro version is 0.99€ (~ 1.99 US$).
    The Pro version is available at the android market (creditcard) and at androidpit (paypal, clickandbuy).

If you find an issue, please report it here in the thread.

Which features will be added to future Pro versions?
    • suggest me a feature

What permissions are used for which features?
    • RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: to activate BLN at boot and start the services
    • INTERNET: for update notification (new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases - you can disable the notification in the update settings) and for the compatibility check (the app receive instructions for you, if the app detects that something is wrong with the BLN setup)
    • READ_PHONE_STATE: to detect if an incoming call could become a missed call
    • WAKE_LOCK: services & schedule (reactivating interrupted led notifications, froyo only)

Translations already done:
    • Dutch
    • French
    • German
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Russian
    • Spanish
    • Swedish

The initial translations into Dutch, French, Russian and Spanish have been realized at crowdin.net with the help of adequacy, andifds, elroy911, HERVEG, HTCDevil, Jaax, jbnitro, ravexx, Rebel2k and Shaymelmed. Thank you.
    The translations into Japanese, Korean and Swedish have been realized at icanlocalize.com.

Translations pending:
    • Chinese (Simplified) - suspended, no sufficient Chinese market service
    • Chinese (Traditional) - see above
    • Czech
    • Italian
    • Polish

Kernel-devs / rom cookers: Please do only integrate the FREE version of this app into your releases.
    BLN pro will work for JVP version (gingerbread 2.3.4 ) ? :confused:

For all having trouble with JVP, i compiled a patched services.jar. It contains both liblights and services.jar, to have BLN working with any kernel supporting it on JVP. To be installed from CWM recovery.

Tried on Juwe's 5.0 working with stock sms, calls, mail, etc.

Hope it helps!

Thanks to neldar for his great job.
    Thanks to Virnik for his update package & script.
    FAQ:

How do i enable led notification for ...?
    • touchwiz sms: notification is only possible if you use another sms app (e.g. Go SMS) or if you use a patched sms app or a patched services.jar
    • touchwiz email: notification by default
    • gmail: notification by default
    • Google talk: notification by default
    • calendar: download "Calendar notifier" app from market (alternative)
    • call: BLN control - Pro from market
    • any other apps:
      ask the author of the app for notification led support

The led notification is enabled in app xyz, but it still dont work, why?
    This only a problem of Android >= 2.3. Led notifications in Android >= 2.3 do only work if the screen is powered off. You can not trigger a led notification while the screen is powered on and any led notification is automatically dismissed if the screen becomes powered on. This is a general "problem" of all gingerbread phones. This behavior is a design decision of the asop team and they think this is not important enough to be mentioned in the Android SDK documentation. The BLN control app has a workaround implemented for the internal call, locale/tasker plug-in & test notification. Any other apps may have also a option to disable the screen before these apps try to trigger led notifications (e.g. Go SMS).

How much does this modification affect battery life?
    With backlight notification permanently powered on, the battery lasts around 82 hours (around 3,5 days, 1,22% per hour). This means, that activated backlights will increase battery usage by about 0,18% per hour. If there is no backlight notification ongoing, battery life is normal (around 96 hours, 1,04% per hour). Measurements were made on a i9000 (eclair) with enabled flight mode.

The sgs2 does currently (6th august 2011) rely on a kernel wakelock, that does affect the battery more than on other phones.
    This is an exception from the general bln behavior and may hopefully change in future.

How do you test the battery consumption? This is a common and reliable method.

Could you add a fade feature?
    That is only possible on some phones, most hardware is limited (by controller firmware) to simple on/off. Maybe I add these capability in the future.

The blinking or the missed call notification of the pro app are not reliably working, what is wrong?
    The lowmemorykiller of your phone is configured with too aggressive settings, thereby the app services are killed and not restarted.
    Either you use less aggressive settings or you have to live with the fact that your settings make things unreliable.
    Btw, it is better to have less free ram in android. A lot of free ram on a android device indicates that it is inefficiently working.
    Just wonderign, is there going to be support for normal notifcations, like third party apps etc

No, if you are wondering about the reason, then you might want to understand the functional principle of bln by looking at the following "art":

|android application| --> |notification service| --> |bln liblights| --> |bln driver| --> |touchkey leds|

legend:
    --> : x calls y (unidirectional)
    android application: any android application
    notification service: public api, part of the Android SDK
    liblights: conjunction between the android OS and the Linux kernel
    bln driver: provides interface to control the touchkey led hardware
    touchkey leds: light emitting diodes behind the touchkeys...

The bln mod (blue parts) just adds the (modified) liblights and the bln driver in that chain, these components are missing in the original stock ROM from Samsung.
    Any android application that should trigger the leds just have to implement the call (the red arrow) of the functions of the notification service .

And the gentle reader may now notice that the control app is missing in that flowchart. Well, the control app consists of 2 parts, one part actually accesses the bln driver to adjust some settings. The second part detects missed calls and acts like any other android application to issue a (hidden) notification with the led flag.

PS: The flowchart includes only the necessary components and conjunctions between the application and the leds. There are a few more components involved, but you don't need to know them all.
    On the AT&T GS2, I am getting constant wakelocks for wlProximityEvents, and I do not even have the new Proximity feature enabled.

I just unplugged the charger 5 minutes ago, I have no notifications, and it's been in constant wakelock since then. (See the screen shot).

Since the last update, my battery life has been very bad and deep sleep has gone down significantly.

UPDATE: Attached is my wakelocks.txt file.

Thank you for the informations about the wakelock, these infos helped me to resolve the problem.
    An update is now available at the market. I want to apologize to those who may have had problems because of this issue.