[Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v. 2.1.9

Search This thread

mlj11

Sep 7, 2010
Choose TWRP, I may need to make a fix on the CWM backup. I should have it done this weekend.

{{ WugFresh }}

Oh man. The issue is not CWM itself right, ie there's no problem with the version that was flashed?

Personally I prefer to use CWM and think I'll stick with it... I think I'll just wait for an update to the Toolkit before making any backups.

Thanks!

Reactions: androidgranny241

pwnerman

Mar 1, 2011
Flintstone
im sorry if this has been asked before but im new to this section but i was just curious as to why this toolkit isnt stickied like the other one.

the.emilio

Worked like a charm. Longest part was installing the PDA drivers. One question though I booted to recovery to flash a ROM and when I tried wiping data it said failed. Using the TWRP. Anyone experience this? The ROM seems to have flashed fine as I confirmed the kernel and version was updated to match the ROM I flashed.

WugFresh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2010
im sorry if this has been asked before but im new to this section but i was just curious as to why this toolkit isnt stickied like the other one.

I have no idea. I would like a sticky. Maybe because the other dev is a senior moderator and was able to give his own thread a sticky. Maybe if users requested to mods to give me a sticky I would get one. No need to apologize, I have wondered the same thing.

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited:

WugFresh

Oct 28, 2010
Oh man. The issue is not CWM itself right, ie there's no problem with the version that was flashed?

Personally I prefer to use CWM and think I'll stick with it... I think I'll just wait for an update to the Toolkit before making any backups.

Thanks!

No the issue is not related to CWM itself. CWM is fully stable and working.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh

Oct 28, 2010
Just got a Nexus 7 for my wife and it came with build JRO03L.

Would this tool unlock and root JRO03L?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes, use the latest build available for your device in the toolkit. You can also always use the "Any Build Option" for any future releases.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh

Oct 28, 2010
does the backup function keeps all my widgets, themes and settings? or just the APKs?

If you use the Stock Home Launcher, then Widgets are just considered system app data for that system app. So you would have to backup system apps and data as well (which is not recommended); if you are using another Home Launcher like GoLauncherEx, Nova, or something else, then those widgets are considered app data for that user app, so the regular backup without any of the other options checked would back that up. That said, when restoring home launchers, widgets tend to get restored, however they wont load properly (they just occupy the space), until you remove them once and then put them back; this is a limitation of android, something I can't fix. Regarding "Themes", it depends on what you mean. If you flashed a theme with a zip, then you are most likely talking about themed system apps, in that case, backing up system apps and restoring them would technically restore your theme, however you would want to make sure to restore them to the SAME ROM that you were using prior, otherwise you may experience complications. If you are talking about "themes" in the sense of a themed user app home launcher, like a themed GoLauncher, then yes, that would be restored. I hope that helps answer your question..

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012
Corpus
Kinda Lost....

Wug I have a question. Or questions.

Believe me, I've been reading and digging through Nexus 7 videos on YouTube but, I still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I'm new to Android so I'm kinda stuck....

I have your tool kit installed (1.5.3) and I watched this video:
Code:
http://youtu.be/sK9avekmA1c?hd=1
So I'm ready to root and unlock so I can install the Glasstopia theme. That's really all I'm looking to do.

1) In your tool kit, if I hit "Create Nandroid Back Up w/Custom Recovery," would that back-up my entire device? Like everything? (That's kinda what I'd like.)

2) It'll save on my computer so I can flash it back if I need to send my N7 in for some reason?

3) After I Back Up, Unlock and root (with the Nexus Root Tool Kit still open) can I flash the Glasstopia Theme .zip file from the "Advanced Utilities" where it says "Flash Zips"? Like Just check "Zip on this computer, browse & point it out, and flash it?

I'm sorry if this is really noobish but, any help would be greatly appreciated. A lot of what I've read/watched is a bit too advanced/fast for me to grasp it.

Thank you.

Last edited:

The-Hulk

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 9, 2012
Warrington
If you want this threat to be made a sticky, then you will need to ask the FSM yourself as the chances are they won't know that it deserves to be a sticky, as most mods don't moderate forums that they use for their own phone. Also on a side note fantastic work, I especially like the integrated ADB, useful for my learning how to theme.

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

testaccount

May 17, 2007
thank you for your kind response and useful tool

i am debating if i should root my wife's nexus 7 because she spent so much time on customizing the widgets and icons and crap that i am afraid that i will regret doing her a favor if i can't get it back looking like the way she had it

WugFresh

Oct 28, 2010
Wug I have a question. Or questions.

Believe me, I've been reading and digging through Nexus 7 videos on YouTube but, I still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I'm new to Android so I'm kinda stuck....

I have your tool kit installed (1.5.3) and I watched this video:
Code:
http://youtu.be/sK9avekmA1c?hd=1
So I'm ready to root and unlock so I can install the Glasstopia theme. That's really all I'm looking to do.

1) In your tool kit, if I hit "Create Nandroid Back Up w/Custom Recovery," would that back-up my entire device? Like everything? (That's kinda what I'd like.)

2) It'll save on my computer so I can flash it back if I need to send my N7 in for some reason?

3) After I Back Up, Unlock and root (with the Nexus Root Tool Kit still open) can I flash the Glasstopia Theme .zip file from the "Advanced Utilities" where it says "Flash Zips"? Like Just check "Zip on this computer, browse & point it out, and flash it?

I'm sorry if this is really noobish but, any help would be greatly appreciated. A lot of what I've read/watched is a bit too advanced/fast for me to grasp it.

Thank you.

1.) Creating a nandroid backup is only possible if you are unlocked already, and unlocking wipes data, so catch 22 on that. Yes creating a nandroid backup, backs up everything, and is hands down the best backup solution possible on android. That said, since you aren't unlocked yet, the best thing you can do is create an android backup file, and a data/media backup (available in the toolkits backup interface). I personally recommend (and the toolkit notifies about this as well), that you should avoid backing up system data. Backing up data/media does the same thing as checking the include "shared data", however it does a better job, so I recommend just making an android backup file with neither of the checkboxes checked and then making a data/media backup. That will provide you the best backup solution for an locked-unrooted device. You will have to reconfigure your system apps, but that shouldn't take you too long.

2.) Yes the backups get pulled onto your computer, but restoring a nandorid backup is not the procedure you would follow to ensure your device was good to send back in for whatever reason. In that circumstance you would want to use the "Flash Stock + Unroot" button which will bring your device back to a factory state, and then you would re-lock it.

3.) Yup, in fact, that will bring up a whole interface made specifically for automating flashing zips on android, and there is an option on top noted "recommended configurations", you can use that with the THEME/MOD.zip option, and it will flash the theme for you with the recommended procedure.

I need to work on consolidating information like this onto my site and into the OP, so I appreciate the questions. Hope that helps clear things up. Cheers.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh

Oct 28, 2010
If you want this threat to be made a sticky, then you will need to ask the FSM yourself as the chances are they won't know that it deserves to be a sticky, as most mods don't moderate forums that they use for their own phone. Also on a side note fantastic work, I especially like the integrated ADB, useful for my learning how to theme.

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

Oh.. Thank you for the information! And thank you for the compliment. I am happy to hear you like my work. :)

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh

Oct 28, 2010
thank you for your kind response and useful tool

i am debating if i should root my wife's nexus 7 because she spent so much time on customizing the widgets and icons and crap that i am afraid that i will regret doing her a favor if i can't get it back looking like the way she had it

Only you know your wife.. lol. Can't help you there. I would say, don't do anything unless she wants it to be rooted and requests it. Good luck. ;)

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh

Oct 28, 2010
Looks pretty easy and good a noob like mr. One questions can I unbrick a n7 with this toolkit?

Sent by a nice guy with a nice phone :D

As long as you can get into bootloader mode, then you can restore your device from a soft brick. The "Flash Stock + Unroot" button with "can't boot up" option checked will instruct you how to restore your device when you are stuck in a bootloop, or the google logo.. etc.

{{ WugFresh }}

Jul 12, 2012
Corpus
1.) Creating a nandroid backup is only possible if you are unlocked already, and unlocking wipes data, so catch 22 on that. Yes creating a nandroid backup, backs up everything, and is hands down the best backup solution possible on android. That said, since you aren't unlocked yet, the best thing you can do is create an android backup file, and a data/media backup (available in the toolkits backup interface). I personally recommend (and the toolkit notifies about this as well), that you should avoid backing up system data. Backing up data/media does the same thing as checking the include "shared data", however it does a better job, so I recommend just making an android backup file with neither of the checkboxes checked and then making a data/media backup. That will provide you the best backup solution for an locked-unrooted device. You will have to reconfigure your system apps, but that shouldn't take you too long.

2.) Yes the backups get pulled onto your computer, but restoring a nandorid backup is not the procedure you would follow to ensure your device was good to send back in for whatever reason. In that circumstance you would want to use the "Flash Stock + Unroot" button which will bring your device back to a factory state, and then you would re-lock it.

3.) Yup, in fact, that will bring up a whole interface made specifically for automating flashing zips on android, and there is an option on top noted "recommended configurations", you can use that with the THEME/MOD.zip option, and it will flash the theme for you with the recommended procedure.

I need to work on consolidating information like this onto my site and into the OP, so I appreciate the questions. Hope that helps clear things up. Cheers.

{{ WugFresh }}

Thanks a million!!! Really really appreciate this.

I'm going to try my hand at it now and, if I can get through this, I'll try and make a video showing other newbies how I did it, showcasing this Tool Kit.

The price point is going to put the Nexus 7 into the hands of a lot of "not so advanced" Android users, like myself. Your Tool Kit makes things so much easier on someone like myself. But it's still easy to get lost after reading so much about unlocking/rooting and stuff--gets confusing for a first-timer.

I will try this and check back.....

I did run into a couple of issues but, nothing that prevented me from going through with the unlock/root/flashing of the Glasstopia theme.

1) The Android backup--with both boxes unchecked--kept hanging up. I noticed it was hanging up on my semi-spam-filled free games like: Jewel Star, Zuma and Bubble Pop. Once I ditched those it worked fine. (And I mean hanging up for like 15 minutes on 1 free game...) I just unplugged my Nexus 7; Use Task manager to kill the Tool Kit and did it again after ditching the games.

2) The Media/Data Backup only produced 3 empty folders; I tried 3 times to get the backups done and it just made empty folders..? All I had were a few 720p music videos I ripped from YouTube so, I'm not worried about it. As for the Data...everything works so, I'm not worried about it. Plus, I know now that if I ever need to RMA I can just use the Tool Kit to go full-stock and re-lock and whatnot.

http://imgur.com/bY11p

I will definitely be stopping in to Donate. That's a promise. Just gotta get my next check Thanks again, man.

Last edited:
Reactions: danny8

danny8

I don't know if you installed the custom recovery (TWRP) or not, but if you did, you'll appreciate the completeness that a NANDroid backup gives. They take a sizeable chunk of space on my 8GB N7, but I move 'em over to my PC.

I echo the praise you sound for the NRT. I rooted my Samsung phone earlier this year (my first smart phone) and it was a lot of work, even though I had good instructions. I looked around a while for the best Nexus rooting solution and lucked into this toolkit.

After rooting, my biggest problem was deciding which custom ROM to flash. So many choices compared to my niche phone's. I'm not one to spend much time jumping from ROM to ROM. I was not even sure I wanted to abandon stock. I knew for sure I wanted to run Stickmount which needs root access.

Right now I'm running a particular CM10 Kang with Linaro support. Don't ask me what all that means 'cause I don't know.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:

WugFresh

Oct 28, 2010
FWIW, I replaced the PDAnet driver with the Asus-provided driver and ADB/NRT can see the N7 just fine.

Yeah. The Asus provided driver is the same one Google provides in the latest SDK. Its actually already included in the toolkit. If you look in the RAW drivers subfolder you will find a folder that contains that driver.

{{ WugFresh }}

dbest1

Jul 4, 2009
London
dbest1

everything works great except, I'm not going through with the root. I get stuck on fastboot mode with a message at the top saying "Booting downloaded image". But no action happens. fastboot is frozen and my computer has a message "Waiting for your device to finish booting up..."

Any idea what's going on? The kit worked really well unlocking and locking and restoring stock

I tried all of this on both 4.1 and 4.1.1 and get the same stuck screen results on the root feature, regardless of flashing CWM or not, just plain frozen

Do Forum search for Nexus 7 Toolkit. I've rooted and unrooted my N7 twice using it. I've seen the above toolkit work on video so I assume it works well. Although I was having the same problem as you did. Hence I looked for an alternative.

This is the link if you can't find it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1809195

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unlocking, rooting, relocking and unrooting simplified! (and much more!)

VERSION 2.1.4 - This program will automatically bring together all the files you need to unlock and root your device in a few clicks, or flash it back to stock and re-lock it. You can also use this program to backup/restore all your important data, flash zips, set file permissions, push and pull files, install apps, generate logcats/bugreports, and much more! With the included file association options, you can perform tasks like flashing zips, installing apps, restoring android backup files, and flashing/booting img files with just a double click! The program includes a full featured interface for automating tasks in TWRP, enhanced restore features, an in-built auto-updater/notification system, ‘any build’ mode, advanced restore features,’NRT- Live Log’ for viewing the adb/fastboot cmds that are run in the background, quick tools utilities, and tools for taking screenshots/screen-recordings. All the latest official Android builds and Nexus devices are supported. The program intelligently and selectively downloads the files it needs for your device and makes sure you are using the latest files available. The program can even auto-detect your device and build. This release brings full Marshmallow root support plus all automated features by utilizing a new system that no longer requires modified boot.imgs. Check out the updated changelog for a more comprehensive breakdown of the feature set and changes in this release.

~ my goal for this project is make the entire process as smooth and simple as possible ~

https%3A%2F%2Fxdaforums.com%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FGjk3UTsOYMSzkx4KT3SZlCiruqY%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.imgur.com%252FGDhJYE8.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fxdaforums.com%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FpzfGGfwJWl0dnds_9og1tODaVzU%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.imgur.com%252Fq1o1kav.jpg

Please read the FAQs before posting questions: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/faqs/

Looking for a walk-through? >> Excellent Instructional/How-To Videos: http://www.wugfresh.com/videos/

More information & Download Links: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Changelog: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/changelog/

Enjoy! ^_^

{{ WugFresh }}
    Hey, great work! Have you ever thought about making a mac or linux port? I'd really love to help you make one!

Email me: stevepink8@gmail.com
    For those of you who have 1.5.5 already, the 1.6.0 update package is officially live now. I am updating my site right now with new information and the full version.

I was able to do everything I set out to do in this release. Support for the Nexus 10, 4, new 3G Nexus 7. 4.2.0 support, and what I spent the most time on - a fully web backed system, that autograbs the latest files the toolkit needs, and populates everything from text files I maintain on the web, making keeping the toolkit updated with the latest files nearly instantaneous.

Lots more info coming. Enjoy ^_^

p.s. thank you all for your patience.

{{ WugFresh }}
    Working on it now. Been really busy though with another project though; https://capsules.io/ks.html

I will try my best to get the toolkit updated asap in my limited free time. There are some other changes/updates I need to integrate as well, but not too many. Cheers.

{{ WugFresh }}

Coding went pretty smooth this round. v1.8.3 is up. (Yes, it supports 4.4.3)

Enjoy ^_^

{{ WugFresh }}
    Ok, so my coding is going really well today. I really think I will be done tonight. Yay!

A word to the wise though; The program now uses Goo.im as the backend for everything because my host just couldn't handle it. They were nice enough to allocate me a large quantity of direct downloads (more than enough) through the program, but there is a daily cap; 30 per day per unique IP. That said, triggering a check for update, will register as a download because it downloads a small text file. So I recommend against checking for updates repeatedly today because your IP will get blocked and when the update is actually out later tonight you won't be able to use the updater, and will have to download the full version.

That said, the full version is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY smaller. The toolkit will now be entirely backed by an automated file list on the web. This means, the toolkit will only grab the files it needs. So if you only have a Gnex, it won't come with all the files for every single nexus device, but rather.. it will download them when you select that in the toolkit (if it doesn't detect them already in the local directory).

The device and build lists will now be populated from a text file that the toolkit can grab from the web. That means, in the future when a new build comes out, I can make it so the toolkit self updates within 20 minutes with everything it needs, and that build will be listed. Same goes for autoupdating CWM, TWRP, and SuperSU. The toolkit will therefore will always be up to date with the latest files. And I wont have to go crazy hard coding all of this like I have been.

Ok.. Back to coding for me. Thank you all for your patience. The slight delays in this release will ultimately speed up all future updates forever. ^_^

{{ WugFresh }}