FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Top Tech YouTubers Review the OnePlus 6!

modified: Installing & Run application on sdcard

32 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By tempo10, Junior Member on 23rd December 2008, 08:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th January 2009, 10:36 PM |#101  
mlevin's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Fairfax, VA
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BohicaBobby

I have an SD card with a Fat32 3GB partition that is active and a 4.1GB ext2 partition. I ran app2sd1.bat & app2sd2.bat (restarted my G! after running each of them) and then I ran data2ext2.bat and restarted my G!.

I went to Market and searched for a checkbook application that I like and clicked on Install. I promptly received a message that I did not have enough space to download/install this application.

What's going on with this?

Bob C.

Could someone point me to docs on how to format an SD card with Fat32 and ext2? I'm on Windows but I have a VM of Ubuntu available to use as well.

Thanks
 
 
27th January 2009, 11:38 PM |#102  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Performance
I don't see any performance issues running off a class 6 sd card. I did see that also posted but I think that was not running from an Ext2 partition. I would probably not try moving the cache or data directory without a class 6 sd card. Moving the apk files should make little difference.

Jdc4429
27th January 2009, 11:58 PM |#103  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin

Could someone point me to docs on how to format an SD card with Fat32 and ext2? I'm on Windows but I have a VM of Ubuntu available to use as well.

Thanks

Paragon Partition Manager for Windows will let you format the card fat32 and ext2. The link has a fully functional 30 day trial.
27th January 2009, 11:58 PM |#104  
Member
Flag Oregon
Thanks Meter: 60
 
More
no performance hit that I have noticed.

Bohica, just type the lines that have the # in it - the next line that I sent you contains output that you will see in the CLI
28th January 2009, 12:00 AM |#105  
Beast84's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Albuquerque
Thanks Meter: 40
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin

Could someone point me to docs on how to format an SD card with Fat32 and ext2? I'm on Windows but I have a VM of Ubuntu available to use as well.

Thanks

Agreed. I installed this VM also but I couldn't find a way to read the SD or partition it. If anyone has a step by step guide, hook it up please! Thanks
28th January 2009, 12:02 AM |#106  
Member
Flag Oregon
Thanks Meter: 60
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast84

Agreed. I installed this VM also but I couldn't find a way to read the SD or partition it. If anyone has a step by step guide, hook it up please! Thanks

Its simple. On windows just download paragon partition manager and run it. Select the sd card and follow the prompts. It will ask you to reboot, go ahead and reboot and it will complete the process
28th January 2009, 01:00 AM |#107  
Beast84's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Albuquerque
Thanks Meter: 40
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by themykel

Its simple. On windows just download paragon partition manager and run it. Select the sd card and follow the prompts. It will ask you to reboot, go ahead and reboot and it will complete the process

I tried this program before I downloaded the VM but it wouldn't work the way everyone said. It left my 2gig SD as read only. I tried running Paragon again & it gets stuck on the waiting screen. It won't go to the screen showing the drives
28th January 2009, 01:36 AM |#108  
Member
Flag Oregon
Thanks Meter: 60
 
More
interesting. I did it via Paragon with my phone SD mounted to the PC via USB and when the PC restarted it finished in about 20 mins
28th January 2009, 01:47 AM |#109  
18.4009's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Boise
Thanks Meter: 34
 
More
Question: before I knew about this whole class 6 business I went out and bought a 16gig card. Unfortunately it is only class 2. Do I dare even try this with a class 2? would it be insanely slow or do you think a person could live with it?
Thanks for the input!
28th January 2009, 01:53 AM |#110  
Member
Flag Oregon
Thanks Meter: 60
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18.4009

Question: before I knew about this whole class 6 business I went out and bought a 16gig card. Unfortunately it is only class 2. Do I dare even try this with a class 2? would it be insanely slow or do you think a person could live with it?
Thanks for the input!

To slow IMO but you can always try it to see what happens.....wont hurt anything
28th January 2009, 02:16 AM |#111  
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc4429

I don't see any performance issues running off a class 6 sd card. I did see that also posted but I think that was not running from an Ext2 partition. I would probably not try moving the cache or data directory without a class 6 sd card. Moving the apk files should make little difference.

Jdc4429

Interesting.. I would've thought it wouldn't be possible to mount the data/data path onto a fat32 partition? Or am I wrong?

Also i purchased a 6gb class 4 card a while ago for my old phone.. what do you think will it be sufficient?

I'd rather not buy a new card, unless I was gonna get something substantial from it? I'd really like a 16gb class 6 card..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apps on sd, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes