FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MODDING] [TOOL] Fastboot binary for ARM machines (root required)

2,243 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,448

By josteink, Senior Member on 15th January 2012, 09:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd August 2012, 08:48 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by josteink

Following the "if you didn't make it, it doesn't belong here (in the development section)" guideline, I'm posting this in General. If a mod thinks this fits better in development, feel free to move it.

What this is: A fastboot executable binary for using the fastboot protocol to control other devices which supports fastboot, like the Galaxy Nexus or other Nexus-phones.

What this isn't: Fastboot bootloader-support for the transformer.

What this doesn't come with: Any sort of warranties. You take this as is. If your fastboot-capable device explodes when using it, I take no responsibility.

With that said:

This is a seemingly fully functional fastboot binary, so that you can mod your Nexus phone from the transformer (you did know it ships with adb out of the box, right? )

Usage:

To use it simply open a console and root up:

Code:
$ su
#
Ensure adb runs as root: (without root, adb wont be able to use the USB ports)

Code:
# adb kill-server
# adb start-server
Boot into bootloader:

Code:
# adb devices
-- your device here
# adb reboot bootloader
Still as root, run fastbootarm: (without root, fastboot wont be able to use the USB ports)

Code:
# fastbootarm devices
-- voila. your device here. mod along
# fastbootarm boot recovery-mylittlepony.img
-- etc
So far this thing has been confirmed working on the Asus Transformer TF101, Raspberry Pi and Nexus 7. Chances are it will work on any armel7 (or better) target.

Installation:

Fastboot arm is attached to this post. Download, unpack and copy to your transformer:

Code:
$ adb devices
-- your transformer here
$ adb push fastbootarm /sdcard/
$ adb shell
android$ su
# mount -o remount,rw /system
# cp /sdcard/fastbootarm /system/xbin/
# chmod 755 /system/xbin/fastbootarm 
# mount -o remount,ro /system
# exit
android$ exit
$
All credit to IEF on #asus-transformer / Freenode. It was compiled by him (since I tried and failed and asked super-duper-nicely) from the Android source using "general" build-target. As such, it might be useful on other Android-devices which also supports USB host mode.

With this can i use the command fastboot oem unlock??

Sent from my nexus s using xda app
The Following User Says Thank You to Spidergio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Spidergio Ad-Free

3rd August 2012, 09:07 AM |#12  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oslo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergio

With this can i use the command fastboot oem unlock??

Sent from my nexus s using xda app

That would be "fastbootarm oem unlock", but yes.
4th August 2012, 02:14 PM |#13  
Flag Anchorage, AK
Thanks Meter: 8

More
This is fantastic! Been looking for this ability ever since February when I realized I owned 2 fantastic Android devices, a Galaxy Nexus and a tf201, but did not have a reliable PC to mod them with and was sick of borrowing my roommates... Thanks!
20th November 2012, 03:36 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Anyone have fastbootarm working on JellyBean?

I wonder if OP could update the binary for JellyBean...

(I'm running stock tf201) (Do i maybe need busybox?)
26th November 2012, 11:18 AM |#15  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oslo

More
Doesn't it work on jellybean? News to me.

Care to print the output when you attempt to run it?
27th November 2012, 01:21 AM |#16  
Flag Oklahoma
Thanks Meter: 1,471

More
I was glad to see this. I am running Ubuntu on my Nexus 7, and already had found an arm port for adb, so this was next on my list. Working great, but i renamed the binary to just fastboot. I would love to have the entire android sdk running, but cannot get past the swt.jar problem, and have no clue how to convert it to arm. Thanks for this share. If anyone needs the adb arm binary, just let me know and I will post it here.

Skyrocket on AOKP by R4ins
3rd December 2012, 10:08 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Finally the N7 shines and that PC is less of a requirement, now only need a portable nuclear powerplant with 230 mains out that can be tucked into my backpack... :thumbup:

Tapatalked from my h4x0r3d up Nexus 7.
20th December 2012, 09:48 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
I would love to see that ADB port in this thread.

Also, this is amazing. I have fastboot on my n7, hooked up to my gnex. Its like heaven. -- I am going to have to find that ADB port now (not that I ever use ADB myself). Eventually I may want to move to Ubuntu (once it is a bit further along), and it'd be nice to see both together.
The Following User Says Thank You to user_error For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift user_error Ad-Free
20th December 2012, 10:08 AM |#19  
Flag Oklahoma

More
Here is the adb for arm.

http://db.tt/aTKpVYx8

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rebel1699 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rebel1699 Ad-Free
20th December 2012, 10:48 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel1699

Here is the adb for arm.

http://db.tt/aTKpVYx8

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Awesome.. !!

Now I make myself feel dumb: This is installed in xbin just as fastboot, correct? And it is acceptable to remove .bin from the file, correct?

Also -- Gave fastboot a try on Galaxy Nexus and while I didn't get any errors spit back at me, it failed to find any devices attached to it, unlike the Nexus 7 which found anything I plugged into it. It is running v2.54 of paranoid android with the latest glados kernel (which is pretty old but I like it). Later I might try swapping through a few kernels, but unlikely any time soon (it can't take/make calls while flashing).

Now this whole thing has me thinking, could we just strip clean a copy of Ubuntu for ARM (ya know, the one they are building specifically for the Nexus 7 might work) and toss that stuff into android? I mean, after all, the most useful things there are going to be command line tools that android is missing. I don't know what kind of dependency issues might arise.

EDIT: after some quick looking - it turns out busybox comes with adb and quite a few other things. Always interested in expanding that further of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to user_error For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift user_error Ad-Free
20th December 2012, 11:16 PM |#21  
Flag Oklahoma

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_error

Awesome.. !!

Now I make myself feel dumb: This is installed in xbin just as fastboot, correct? And it is acceptable to remove .bin from the file, correct?

Also -- Gave fastboot a try on Galaxy Nexus and while I didn't get any errors spit back at me, it failed to find any devices attached to it, unlike the Nexus 7 which found anything I plugged into it. It is running v2.54 of paranoid android with the latest glados kernel (which is pretty old but I like it). Later I might try swapping through a few kernels, but unlikely any time soon (it can't take/make calls while flashing).

Now this whole thing has me thinking, could we just strip clean a copy of Ubuntu for ARM (ya know, the one they are building specifically for the Nexus 7 might work) and toss that stuff into android? I mean, after all, the most useful things there are going to be command line tools that android is missing. I don't know what kind of dependency issues might arise.

I dont have a transformer, but do have the Nexus 7 with ubuntu, and yes I use fastboot and adb from it. Works wonderfully. I can repair friends devices without a pc when out and about. Also yes, you can remove the .bin from the file name.

Skyrocket on AOKP by R4ins
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebel1699 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rebel1699 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)