Tutorial: How to use KIES Emergency Firmware Recovery (EFR)

Search This thread

sarkinsauti

Aug 1, 2013
Not for all devices

Doesn't work for Samsung Galaxy S Duo S7652 because Samsung does not have support for the firmware on Kies

Kama45

Jul 18, 2010
Great thread, OP. Unfortunately, it's not working for my S3. I can't boot into the ROM or recovery, but I can get into Download Mode. However, I don't think Kies recognizes my device as there is none listed in the emergency recovery section. I am using an OEM USB cord, and I have tried another one as well. I've tried using every USB port on my computer and my old laptop with no luck. I've rebooted, reinstalled, and everything else. I tried seeing if Odin would recognize it but no luck.

It should be noted I am only using fresh installs of Kies, so that may be the problem.

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Find software for the S3 in that section ??
Then use Odin to restore the device in download mode ....done ....g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium HD app

togakangaroo

Apr 5, 2011
Doesn't work on my s3

trying to root my galaxy s3 with these instructions using odin3 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1771687 I got

Code:
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!

So I'm trying to restart following these steps and no luck. I can get into download mode just fine. I've tried having the phone both in download mode and not in download mode when running this. Any idea what next?

RaW D Coy

Oct 15, 2012
not working for my note2 i tried to flash on a stock rom but it failed and now i can only enter DL mode and the firmware error thingy and kies doesn't see the phone

Tekberto

Sep 15, 2013
not working for my note2 i tried to flash on a stock rom but it failed and now i can only enter DL mode and the firmware error thingy and kies doesn't see the phone

Finally signed up to say I'm in the same boat... I just got a sprint note 2 that came rooted, and realized that I need to have a stock ROM to activate with a service. I found many sources that said to simply use Odin, downloaded a stock ROM and tried to flash it, it fails at writing sboot.bin every time and now I've soft bricked it without doing sufficient research beforehand.
I just downloaded Kies, tried connecting the phone, after some finagling it finally started to attempt to connect, but it fails. Going to Emergency Firmware Recovery from the tools menu does nothing whatsoever. After much searching of the forums here and on google, I haven't found much in the way of a straightforward solution that applies to my situation. Really want to make sure I do what will work first, before I screw something up by experimenting...

RaW D Coy

Oct 15, 2012
Finally signed up to say I'm in the same boat... I just got a sprint note 2 that came rooted, and realized that I need to have a stock ROM to activate with a service. I found many sources that said to simply use Odin, downloaded a stock ROM and tried to flash it, it fails at writing sboot.bin every time and now I've soft bricked it without doing sufficient research beforehand.
I just downloaded Kies, tried connecting the phone, after some finagling it finally started to attempt to connect, but it fails. Going to Emergency Firmware Recovery from the tools menu does nothing whatsoever. After much searching of the forums here and on google, I haven't found much in the way of a straightforward solution that applies to my situation. Really want to make sure I do what will work first, before I screw something up by experimenting...

ah well i don't even know why i even tried using kies, i just flashed with oding my nordic stock rom that i found using this dude http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31801046&postcount=1

works perfectly. Re-do the root install CWM and flash your custom rom and now it's just as it was before :p

K-alz

Jun 7, 2013
I dont know why the step #7 doesnt show with the recovery for me. it shows up empty. nothing to choose. !!!!!

AirFiori

Feb 14, 2013
in my computer dont show in recover please help me
say that have a conection problem and I already updated everything
help me

freakboy13

Sep 15, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Hey its been a long time for.
Guys as with any help request please list your phone/carrier/rom you are using.
AirFiori ...non capisco...lol.
Not sure what you are saying?
You can't see recovery in your computer? I didn't even know you could view your phones recovery on your computer.
Please explain (in English LOL)
As I mentioned above, when asking for help always, always post your phone model,carrier ,
rom. I know seems redundant but its really not.
Also you shouldn't be able to be connected to the pc/kies while in recovery; you need to be in either in download mode, using adb, OR in the normal OS.
If you connected to your pc while in recovery that's something new to me.
Please more exact details.
:)

maidmarian4

May 25, 2011
My device is not shown in the emergency recovery screen. Do I have to sync my device and do something with it first for it to show up on the ER box?

AT&T SGS3
acer netbook w/ Windows 7 starter
***Kies does say: "Your device's current firmware is not supported to update firmware via Kies."
Current firmware version: PDA:MG2/PHONE:MG2/CSC:MG2 (ATT)
***I had rooted with Casual, and then tried to go back to stock. I don't have su, but my phone shows "modified" status.
I ran as administrator and followed all of your directions meticulously. ;)

Last edited:

freakboy13

Sep 15, 2010
My device is not shown in the emergency recovery screen. Do I have to sync my device and do something with it first for it to show up on the ER box?

AT&T SGS3
acer netbook w/ Windows 7 starter
***Kies does say: "Your device's current firmware is not supported to update firmware via Kies."
Current firmware version: PDA:MG2/PHONE:MG2/CSC:MG2 (ATT)
***I had rooted with Casual, and then tried to go back to stock. I don't have su, but my phone shows "modified" status.
I ran as administrator and followed all of your directions meticulously. ;)

So... Are you on stock or not?lol
You need to be on a genuine stock Rom with stock recovery to use kies to update. Also this thread is really not for using kies to update its for using the emergency recovery tool.
The two are different.
So if you did the update thinking it was the efr, you may be in trouble, lol.
Are you familiar with odin? Try flashing a stock Rom(the most current pre-latest update) and then do the upgrade. Another question to you, is what recovery are you running?
You better check and make sure you have a recovery. You can check and make sure your fw is correct by comparing to the second most recent release. I havnt been on here for months so not up to date on current roms/fw etc.
Maybe go back and use the actual efr tool first?

Reactions: maidmarian4

SergioScarecrow

Nov 6, 2013
Hey there! I have a problem with my recovery...

First of all, my device is a GT-i8160P with German JB 4.1.2

Well, I follow all steps until step 7. In the emergency firmware recovery where my device shoud be I have nothing. I mean I don't see my device on the list of devices below the screen.

I see the same screen but the list are empty. So I don't know what to do...

What I do is open KIES as Admin, then click on recovery and then turn on my device in Download Mode... Did I do something wrong? Thank you.

freakboy13

Sep 15, 2010
If your device is not in the list I believe there is an option to select other or something.
But proceed with caution.
Tbh if you are not In the list I would suggest taking the Odin route.
Don't take any chances.
I'm sorry I'm not really familiar with your phone model, this thread is dedicated to the att gn2 but of course kies and the efr should in theory be universal.
I seem to recall the kies website stating that not all Samsung phones are in the list.
Next time when you visit s thread that is not your phone and model (this is the att gn2 forum)
Please ask first before jumping into the proverbial shark infested waters.
Lol.
Are you familiar with Odin?
Find the original Rom for your phone and just flash it.
Make sure:
Its for your phone, your exact model and most importantly that its for the original carrier for said phone.

Reactions: Bajanman

amitabhbansal

Nov 20, 2013
Hi friend, i am glad that you took so much pain to describe in details, i am having some problem, i saw on sammobile that samsung hase released 4.3 jelly bean for Note 2, but when i checked within phone by software update it shows me nothing new and it was already 4.1.2, from that website i downloaded the firmware and updated my phone by using ODIN, now i dont want this 4.3 i have searched the net for recovery and found your pst then i did the same but it does not work, Kies version 2 download a firmware from net, then it take few minute to update the phone but after that i get an error message that my phone cannot be recover and on phone it says UNSUPPORTED VERSION by ODIN. please do help me friend. and please also tell me how to take full backup of my phone like contacts, messages, calendars, apps, apps chats, i mean everything,
secondly if i download a firmware 4.1.2 from website and update the phone by odin and then try to recover it by kies will it happen?
Thanks

freakboy13

Sep 15, 2010
Hi, sorry about your troubles .
The problem is that you didn't really read or perhaps didn't understand a few fundamental basics:
1. UPDATE and EFR do not have the same function. Using the kies updater prior to being on a stock rom could corrupt your recovery or worse.
You need to be on a stock Rom to use the kies UPDATER.
And ... The updater IS NOT to be used to go back to stock or similar.
This is what EFR is for.
If you have a custom Rom you will need to flash back to the 2nd most current stock Rom via Odin, then use the updater.
With that being said, there is no guarantee that you being on a custom Rom that the kies EFR will work either. I have used EFR many times with no issues.
So in essence EFR should be the go-to method if your phone is soft bricked and you don't mind being flashed to stock and loosing all saved info. It seems that if you use the updater first and then use the EFR it causes issues like boot loop unrecognized w/e.
If I were you, I would find the carrier specific stock Rom for your phone and flash the easiest stock Rom.
Then go and use EFR.
THEN do update if you want but seems you want to be on 4.2 , if I read correctly. Hope this helps!
:)
Ps... Please do a BIT more reading on using Odin, it'll help you understand what efr does, which is essentially the same thing.

Reactions: gregsarg

mfreeman3769

Dec 12, 2013
Kies fails - Odin Fails - at around 1% uploading to phone

Hello,

Samsung S4 from Canada - Provider Bell - Model SGH-I337M

Soft Briked it when Odin failed (auth) to downgrade from latest frimware to 4.22 (reason: unlock codes not working; USB unlock not working due to new security features in latest update)

Phone was functional, new in box, with latest November firmware.

Kies FAILS at last step - uploading to phone.
Stage: firmware emergency recovery in progress

Error: PC failed to recognise the mobile phone

Phone IS in Download Mode !

Once in a while it start uploading anf ails with something like: error on SGH-I337M

Antivirus:eek:ff; Updates all ok; Is phone finished? Should I try a different PC ?
Odin fails as well as sioon as it starts tu upload firmware (auth)
Tried different USB ports, same.

Thanks for advice !!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edit Nov 28 2013: GN3 Owners PLEASE READ!
    As of the new update the ATT Galaxy note 3(possibly all carriers) IS NOT compatable with KIES EFR!
    This includes KIES 2.XX and KIES 3! What does this mean?
    If you took the MJ5 update you will no longer be able to use the KIES Emergency Firmware Updater.
    Please complain to Samsung, locking the bootloader is one thing but no EFR??
    Would you get on ship with no life boats or life preservers??
    Seriously uncool of Samsung to do this.
    -end of edit
    /rant

So its come to my attention a lot of new guys are getting stuck soft brick, bootloop, borked recovery etc.

So .... I made this tutorial for everyone.
    Please: dont flame or post useless comments.
    Its great for you Odin is easy, but I made this for people who want a hassle free easy way to recover their phone.
    This is also imo the fastest and easiest way back to true stock w/o a "modified"
    Some people have reported a flash count of 1 but idk I always went back to 0. :confused:
    If you are new, have no rooting, rom flashing or w/e experience, imo you should NOT be using odin until you have completely read up on it. I mean hey some of you super geniuses have no probs but when I see posters who have no clue about usb drivers or even how to use kies, im confused why you would want to venture to odin? 500 $ is a very expensive brick.:p
    Ok so unsure about odin or just new and now you just borked your brand new phone?
    First things first:
    Can you get into dl mode. :confused:
    Dont worry about recovery mode because it doesnt matter for this. This works with corrupted recovery as well.
    For now lets just say download mode is achieved one way only:
    Press : vol down power and home key all at the same time. Release quickly when you see the screen come up. Takes practice some times.

:thumbup: This method will remove "modified" status from your phone! :thumbup:
    :beer:

Ok ready? You want step by step you got it.
    If this doesnt work you are doing it wrong, so try again. Even with Odin you may have to try several times, its the nature of android.
    If you can get into DL mode you CAN 100% recover your device.
    If it doesnt work or you get an error, you are doing this wrong. I am pretty sure this is for ALL Samsung phones but I can only confirm this for my gs3 and note2.
    Keep in mind: I corrupted my recovery on my gs3 several times and this still worked. I will assume the same for my note 2.
    Download kies from samsung.com
    Follow the prompts but no need to install the stupid codecs.
    When you are done, (dont forget hit "yes" to dl current usb drivers)
    ON your computer "run as administrator" the kies icon.
    make sure you are connected to the internet.
    Kies will automatically check for updates and proper usb drivers.
    No need to install "myfree codecs" hit no on that.
    every thing else hit yes
    Step one:
    Run kies as administrator as I said And do all the usb updates, kies updates
    but leave the codec thing alone.
    Step by step instructions just follow the pics in order:

1.Kies opens asks about update
    uvvbv9z1vg7iixh6g.jpg

2k103vxe4mpvjqj6g.jpg

3.Dont worry about this

1ordwbu5xfvsabk6g.jpg

4. Now in top left corner hit "tools" tab. Ignore everything else

py9ryc3tjidk4oq6g.jpg

5. After clicking tools tab click the emergency fimrware recover choice as described below

vb8hzgbtqtpqeui6g.jpg

6. For now ignore this button. YOu might need it later but ignore it for now

9expgjtmxk3w2k36g.jpg

23mp45ev11htqu56g.jpg

8.Well last step. Hit emergency recovery ( the "ok" button wont be there )

29i7j2n3xa4w41p6g.jpg

this will probably take 20 to 30 min total. The EFR will let you know if its succesfull or fail.
    IF it fails try using the method I said to ignore. Its the same thing just an extra step of in putting your phones exact model number.

Heres some xtra links: (Thanks to Bajanman for finding these btw!)
    http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/
    http://www.sammobile.com/kies/
    http://m.samsung.com/us/support/
    Nice help guide for noobs.

Good guide freak :thumbup:
    Might want to go back and check some of your words tho:eek:. Lot of them misspelled... lol :p:p

Side note: All my years with Sammy I've never used Kies with any of my phone's!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
    yeah yeah yeah :p
    Justvto be sure this is an sgh-i317 correct?
    Try doing the upgrade first that may give you the code.
    First make sure you have usb debugging
    Home>Settings> developers options> make sure usb debugging is checked.
    Also since it sounds like your recovery is corrupted do not do a factory reset.
    Well first off there shouldnt be a need to use the kies efr with just an ota.
    You can select your phone model manually.
    Can I ask...did you install a recovery and make a bu after you rooted :rolleyes:?
    im not familiar with these newer ota probs, I remember on my dx ota was no biggie due to rootkeeper. Its strange that a stock rooted phone gets borked with an ota.
    Can you get into recovery?
    Can you get into dl mode?
    Im subscribed to this thread so ill try n help out

Edit: are you using this method because you are unfamiliar with odin?