Call Recorder WORKING solution for SGH-I337(M) - UPDATED Sep.15.2013

Search This thread

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
Well Total Recall 2 worked for me.The app has an auto patch for S4 MF3,which makes it run without any problem....

:eek:...truthfully, there was a warning about applying the patch only on stock ROM's...well, I've tried it on Cyanogenmod 10.2 and it rendered the phone totally unusable. I have barely managed to put it in recovery and flashed a nandroid. I'll certainly NEVER try it again, simply because when I do system changes I'd like to know WHAT I've done, WHERE they were installed and HOW to revert if there are problems. In this case uninstalling the software DOES NOT remove the patch!!!

As a matter of fact, although I don't recall details I clearly remember trying their software a couple of years back and being left with a bitter taste.

Last edited:
Reactions: electricpete1

kkvo

Nov 14, 2013
:eek:...truthfully, there was a warning about applying the patch only on stock ROM's...well, I've tried it on Cyanogenmod 10.2 and it rendered the phone totally unusable. I have barely managed to put it in recovery and flashed a nandroid. I'll certainly NEVER try it again, simply because when I do system changes I'd like to know WHAT I've done, WHERE they were installed and HOW to revert if there are problems. In this case uninstalling the software DOES NOT remove the patch!!!

As a matter of fact, although I don't recall details I clearly remember trying their software a couple of years back and being left with a bitter taste.

Well it worked fine for me on stock rom.I think the patch only replaces the following 2 files :
1)snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3
2)snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm.
and it also creates an "bak" ,so if you want to restore your phone just uninstall the software and rename the "bak" files.

jets76

Dec 18, 2010
Toronto
I tried this today on my I337M and it tanks whenever I try and make a call. I looked closer and the updater-script in the zip file is all wrong? Its from a keyboard install zip.

tombeach22

Nov 20, 2010
I tried this today on my I337M and it tanks whenever I try and make a call. I looked closer and the updater-script in the zip file is all wrong? Its from a keyboard install zip.

Had the exact same problem. I flashed the zip from op then it kept crashing so I restored system from my latest Nandroid backup with the same Rom version and it's been working since.
Sent from my SGH-I337M using xda app-developers app

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
Had the exact same problem. I flashed the zip from op then it kept crashing so I restored system from my latest Nandroid backup with the same Rom version and it's been working since.
Sent from my SGH-I337M using xda app-developers app

What ROM / Kernel / Modem were you using? Have you set the proper permissions to the files?

Last edited:
Reactions: electricpete1

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
This has been working fine since i first installed the dependency zip. SKVAlex even released an update that seems to fix the proximity sensor issue. However, I have recently started using a Bluetooth ear device and I have noticed that when Bluetooth is used for phone calls, Call Recorder starts acting erratic. It will record one time, but the next time it will not. It will show "0.00" for the call or it will show an accurate call time, with no recorded audio. It appears to be working fine on the call screen, but really isn't. The next time it will work fine. I've noticed it mostly does this when switching between Bluetooth and regular (phone) for calls. The first time I make or receive a call after switching, it won't work correctly unless I toggle the "pause" and "record" button on the call screen. It shows it is recording, but the result is what I mentioned earlier. The second time a call is made or received using the same method (Bluetooth or regular phone) it seems to work fine. Then when it is switched again, the same thing. I have tried different settings within the Call Recorder app, but none seem to make a difference. In fact, using the wrong settings will freeze sound until a reboot occurs.

It's odd, because it seems to be the exact same "bug" that was discussed in post #11, however, I have everything set to automatically record and it seems to happen when switching between Bluetooth and regular phone...as if Call recorder forgets it's supposed to record on the next call after the switch.

So if anyone has a solution for reliably using Bluetooth (with every call) with the call recorder app or can shed any light on the issue, please let me know.

Last edited:

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
This has been working fine since i first installed the dependency zip. SKVAlex even released an update that seems to fix the proximity sensor issue. However, I have recently started using a Bluetooth ear device and I have noticed that when Bluetooth is used for phone calls, Call Recorder starts acting erratic. It will record one time, but the next time it will not. It will show "0.00" for the call or it will show an accurate call time, with no recorded audio. It appears to be working fine on the call screen, but really isn't. The next time it will work fine. I've noticed it mostly does this when switching between Bluetooth and regular (phone) for calls. The first time I make or receive a call after switching, it won't work correctly unless I toggle the "pause" and "record" button on the call screen. It shows it is recording, but the result is what I mentioned earlier. The second time a call is made or received using the same method (Bluetooth or regular phone) it seems to work fine. Then when it is switched again, the same thing. I have tried different settings within the Call Recorder app, but none seem to make a difference. In fact, using the wrong settings will freeze sound until a reboot occurs.

It's odd, because it seems to be the exact same "bug" that was discussed in post #11, however, I have everything set to automatically record and it seems to happen when switching between Bluetooth and regular phone...as if Call recorder forgets it's supposed to record on the next call after the switch.

So if anyone has a solution for reliably using Bluetooth (with every call) with the call recorder app or can shed any light on the issue, please let me know.

just like you said: it's been discussed before. When you have "empty" records showing 0m0s, that's an indication that somehow you are still using the original files under the "snd_soc_msm" folder - which PURPOSELY block the access to call recorders. Also, if you're using the latest stock 4.3 make sure that Knox is disabled.

Last edited:

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
just like you said: it's been discussed before. When you have "empty" records showing 0m0s, that's an indication that somehow you are still using the original files under the "snd_soc_msm" folder - which PURPOSELY block the access to call recorders. Also, if you're using the latest stock 4.3 make sure that Knox is disabled.

As my signature says, I am on MDL firmware and I am definitely using the modified files. Maybe it is possible that the original snd soc msm files still exist on the phone and are only being accessed when switching from Bluetooth to phone or vice versa (for the first instance), but otherwise the modified files were flashed and have been used successfully since the creation of this thread. Only when I started using Bluetooth for phone calls did this start to happen and if I disable the Bluetooth device completely, it doesn't happen at all (goes back to functioning correctly every time). So there is definitely a connection to Bluetooth causing the issue.

Solace50

Jul 17, 2011
this causes instability/random reboots after attempting to make calls phone lags then reboots eventually, i assume its intended for stock roms only. it also pushes 2 files when the stock cm rom only shows 1 file snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3 within the system directory. is cm already enabled by default because the quality/issues persist as they do as in OTA roms. probably just need a different modded file for cm 10.2 i guess.

Last edited:

electricpete1

Aug 12, 2012
Had to post to say THANKS. Works fantastic with A.C.R. Both sides loud and clear.
I slapped about 8 Thanks on you before my quote ran out.

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
this causes instability/random reboots after attempting to make calls phone lags then reboots eventually, i assume its intended for stock roms only. it also pushes 2 files when the stock cm rom only shows 1 file snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3 within the system directory. is cm already enabled by default because the quality/issues persist as they do as in OTA roms. probably just need a different modded file for cm 10.2 i guess.

Yes, your assumption is correct...the two files were NEVER meant to work in CM, furthermore, if the file you refer to gets replaced, it WILL definitely cause instability and system crashes. I have mentioned in my initial post that the 2 files were tested under rooted-stock environment and made the assumption that other ROM's using Samsung framework may be compatible, however these files were never meant to work with AOSP or AOKP based ROM's - I have just updated the 1st post to make this point clear.

Last edited:

Solace50

Jul 17, 2011
Yes, your assumption is correct...the two files were NEVER meant to work in CM, furthermore, if the file you refer to gets replaced, it WILL definitely cause instability and system crashes. I have mentioned in my initial post that the 2 files were tested under rooted-stock environment and made the assumption that other ROM's using Samsung framework may be compatible, however these files were never meant to work with AOSP or AOKP based ROM's - I have just updated the 1st post to make this point clear.

oh well, is there any current alternatives for asop users or is this another thing that will rise up aside from the tw camera not being in asop. might be time to ditch cm all together unfortunately, even with kitkat looking much more promising.

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
oh well, is there any current alternatives for asop users or is this another thing that will rise up aside from the tw camera not being in asop. might be time to ditch cm all together unfortunately, even with kitkat looking much more promising.

This is like going to a Ford dealer to get a fix for a...Toyota. I may have some knowledge about Toyota but I would rather advise you to see a Toyota dealer. :fingers-crossed:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide refers to Alex' (skvalex) Call Recorder but it can be applied to, and it should be working with most other available call recorders. I have the Canadian SGH-I337M, stock, odex, rooted but in theory this solution should be working on all SGH-I337(M).

IT DOES NOT WORK WITH AOSP/AOKP BASED ROM's (INCLUDING CM) - IT WILL CAUSE SYSTEM CRASHES!!!

MORE DETAILS ON POST# 3

I have been using this Call Recorder on all my previous Samsung phones and personally, I consider it to be the most reliable, capable and best supported call recorder out there, however as of today, Sep.15.2013, although all the North American versions of the S4 are officially supported, the recorder still yields blank records (0m0s) when used out of the box. The WORKING solution is presented bellow.

There is a trial version but if you like the recorder and need it, I would highly recommend buying it - it's worth every penny.

Method 1

1. Install Call Recorder (or your preferred one).
    2. Download the attached flashable zip - it contains the 2 modified files from "system/etc/snd_soc_msm".
    3. Flash the zip from recovery. (Optionally, you can backup the original files - before flashing the zip - as indicated in method 2 bellow)
    4. Enjoy

Method 2 (manually creating a backup of the original files)

1. Install Call Recorder (or your preferred one).
    2. Download the attached flashable zip - it contains the 2 modified files from "system/etc/snd_soc_msm".
    3. Extract/save the 2 files in the "system/etc/snd_soc_msm" folder from the zip.
    4. Go to the same directory on the phone (system/etc/snd_soc_msm) and make a backup of the 2 original files by adding ".bak" at the end (you'll need root).
    5. Copy the 2 files extracted from the zip (in step #3), over here.
    6. Set the permissions to 644 (rw-r--r--).
    6. Reboot and enjoy.

The recommended settings for the Call Recorder:
    - Device: Samsung (your version)
    - Recording method: Standard API
    - Call recording format: AMR
    - Audio source: Voice call uplink + downlink
    ...others as desired.

Let me know how this solution works for you!

Attached are some generic Call Recorder png icons I have made. Feel free to use/share them - but have the decency to give me the due credit.
    Thank you for this. It seems to work very well. I am on an AT&T SGH-I337 S4. One bug I have noticed is under the "Audio Player" in settings. The option to "use proximity Sensor" is very buggy. Basically this setting switches the screen off while listening to recorded calls while listening through the phone's regular speaker (not loud speaker). It turns the screen off fine, but sometimes doesn't turn it back on when the phone is moved away from my face (sometimes it does?). When it doesn't come back on, I have to hit the power button (just like putting the phone to sleep) and then hit it again to turn the phone back onto the lock screen (swipe to unlock it) and it turns back on just fine. The funny thing is, that the message keeps playing throughout the entire process? Even when the screen turns back on like it is supposed to, the touch keys don't like back up with the screen. In order to get them back on I have to put the phone to sleep again and turn it back on. I use the proximity sensor with my phone calls and it works fine so it has to be a bug with the audio player or a bug with the call recorder App. I realize Skalex is the Dev for the actual Call Recorder APK but I thought I would mention this here just to let you and others know about it and, I was wondering if you could check your phone to see if it has the same issue? Other than that, it all seems to work very nice.

I was also wondering if you know if the "Volume Boost Mods" listed in Jrkruse' thread here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2352797 will work with your "modded" call recorder?

Thank you for your hard work.

You're welcome! Yes, I have also noticed the proximity sensor/screen bug - but for the time being we'll have to live with it. As a temporary work around you can disable this feature and simply toggle manually between loudspeaker and internal speaker from the dedicated button in the upper right corner - no big deal and it does the same thing.

As far as the volume boost, it should be working, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't - however, there are a few things to keep in mind before doing any further changes: originally, the Call Recorder (or any other call recorder for that matter) wouldn't be working (at all) on any N.A. S4's for two reasons: 1) missing audio media mixer, so I have added the missing mixer and 2) the voice call recording audio levels were set so high (very sensitive) that most every recording (anything louder than whispering) would be yielding distorted, literally unusable audio outputs. As such, I have modified (brought down) ONLY the call recording levels (call mic) and I didn't touch any other audio outputs/inputs/mixers (loudspeaker, internal speaker, wired headphones, BT headphones/accessories, voice recorder, VoIP, VoLTE +++ others) because doing so may have a negative impact on other applications and/or hardware not related to voice call recording. Because of the implications, I preferred to stay away from playing around with those - especially since there are tons of variables and not much documentations about all that.

Also keep in mind that while there are many versions of these 2 files out there, in order to insure/increase the compatibility, I have used & modified the ones that came with the original stock ROM. I have also tested the Call Recorder with the latest I337MVLUAMG1 firmware and everything seems to working fine.

Now, the volume booster that you are referring to, alters the exact same files in the sense that it increases (to various degrees - hence, boosting) some audio output levels while leaving the call recording audio levels untouched - it's entirely up to you as a user whether you like it or not and whether you see/perceive any negative impacts (sound distortions). If you decide to try a volume booster, take it for a spin, test it extensively, not just the call recorder, but most other apps that use sound and then you'll be the best judge whether that mod works for you or not. Most likely you won't hurt anything. Careful when you play with the 2 files - setting wrong permissions (or no permissions at all) will result in a boot loop.
    Thank you. The phone speaker is plenty loud already, it's just the loud speaker playback of recorded messages that seems a little low...but still OK. Knowing the issues you have resolved and the reasons your resolved them, I think I'll just leave everything the way it is for now (not installing any volume mods). And, so far, further testing I have done hasn't revealed any other problems. I can keep the proximity sensor turned off, I just have to remember not to press the phone all of the way to my face when listening to the recorded messages or switching to loud speaker for playback, and again, that's not a huge issue. Again, thanks.
    I installed this, and for the most part it seems to be working.

I installed this, and for the most part it seems to be working.

At first, the incoming voice was really distorted, but I applied the volume mod and that cleared that up.

It only seems to record on incoming calls though. If I call out, there is an entry in the log but it shows 0:00 for the recording time.

So, for soem reason this seems to only work on incoming calls, not outgoing.

I have the settings enabled for record all......

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

As always...read, read and read!

1. As I have previously explained, installing any volume mod by jrkruse, REPLACES my files - as such you have NOT used THIS mod
    2. If you have call records with 0.00s for the recording time, clearly you are not using neither my mod nor jrkruse's volume boost. Most likely, somehow, you are using the original UNMODIFIED files.
    3. At this time the ONLY audio source that works for both incoming/outgoing calls is "Voice call uplink + downlink" - as I have suggested