Photo quality

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Say "cheese", then rate this thread to express how photos taken with the Samsung Galaxy S8 come out. A higher rating indicates that photos offer rich color (without over-saturating), sharp detail (with all subjects in-focus), and appropriate exposure (with even lighting).

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Reactions: Aanze and funtime4

nikosgb14

Jul 29, 2017
Say "cheese", then rate this thread to express how photos taken with the Samsung Galaxy S8 come out. A higher rating indicates that photos offer rich color (without over-saturating), sharp detail (with all subjects in-focus), and appropriate exposure (with even lighting).

I can not notice that the camera especially selfie is not so good !I have to take 4 or 5 photos to have a bright picture and the main camera is also not so good!Maybe the only disadvantage for me overall

Reactions: torr310

WaxysDargle

Jul 17, 2012
yes, i am surprised at the quality of the front camera. "pathetic" is the word i would use.

oneplus 3 and 5 both have an amazing front camera.

shame on you, samsung. it's amazing that with so many loyal customers you would cut corners on this.

rear camera is top-notch, though!

ipred

Oct 4, 2010
S8 produces in auto mode the best combination of good light and low light shots. In good light, there is a bit over-sharpening going on but no so much to destroy the photo quality. The handling of exposure is very good , the detail also and the colors are rich. At low light shots , S8 is the king with clear improvement over the S7/S7 edge. Better detail, low noise levels, more accurate colors, better handling of light flares. My only complaint is that in the evening light, the S8 camera gives more light that is needed. If for example you take a shot of the sky at 20:00 it will appear as it was taken one hour earlier at 19:00. In general there is no phone out there that can beat S8 at the triple combination of design+display+camera in auto mode. I am always talking about the rear camera. I never use the front camera on my phones ( i hate the trend of selfies ).

Last edited:

thenessus

Mar 7, 2011
Back camera produces nice colors but the quality, or sharpness/details level is downright bad.
Coming from Pixel is maybe putting the bar high but the rear camera here is just bad.

Reactions: armchairtaikun

dazed1

Jul 24, 2013
Back camera produces nice colors but the quality, or sharpness/details level is downright bad.
Coming from Pixel is maybe putting the bar high but the rear camera here is just bad.

Quick tip, go into pro mode, and change nothing other then -0.2 exposure, (during day) and iso around 150-500 for low light, you will be amazed.

crixley

May 25, 2012

You must be a terrible photographer then lol one of the best rated phone cameras that exist

crixley

May 25, 2012
Well darn, I missed an "of". That must make the camera so great.

So missing a period makes me a troll, as well as making my argument invalid, but a distinct lack of understanding English on your part doesn't? You're an interesting fellow. Anyway let's move this to pm if you're so inclined. You'll receive no further response from me here.

Jostian

Oct 21, 2010
Pretoria

Post some examples, cos in my experience the S8 rear camera is really good, and I've tried a few phones over the last year or so, and the S8 is easily the best thus far...

Reactions: crixley

crixley

May 25, 2012
Post some examples, cos in my experience the S8 rear camera is really good, and I've tried a few phones over the last year or so, and the S8 is easily the best thus far...

Yep it isn't one of the top rated by every review site and photography site for no reason

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Quick tip, go into pro mode, and change nothing other then -0.2 exposure, (during day) and iso around 150-500 for low light, you will be amazed.
    S8 produces in auto mode the best combination of good light and low light shots. In good light, there is a bit over-sharpening going on but no so much to destroy the photo quality. The handling of exposure is very good , the detail also and the colors are rich. At low light shots , S8 is the king with clear improvement over the S7/S7 edge. Better detail, low noise levels, more accurate colors, better handling of light flares. My only complaint is that in the evening light, the S8 camera gives more light that is needed. If for example you take a shot of the sky at 20:00 it will appear as it was taken one hour earlier at 19:00. In general there is no phone out there that can beat S8 at the triple combination of design+display+camera in auto mode. I am always talking about the rear camera. I never use the front camera on my phones ( i hate the trend of selfies ).

yes, i am surprised at the quality of the front camera. "pathetic" is the word i would use.

oneplus 3 and 5 both have an amazing front camera.

shame on you, samsung. it's amazing that with so many loyal customers you would cut corners on this.

rear camera is top-notch, though!
    If anyone interested, here's a comparison between 2 shots taken with respectively Samsung Camera vs Open Camera, both in auto settings mode, focus set at the exact same point - on the mouse. 1st shot is samsung camera, 2nd is open camera
    I've been finding that the open camera produces a bit more realistic lightning as well as slightly less noise but maybe decreased sharpness.

Also, I think the overall quality of the rear camera, even if better than most of what's being available today in the phone catalog, is not that good. It lacks details and sharpness.
    I have never found a camera that could match what the Lumia 1020 was capable of achieving: enclosed, cat picture taken with the said lumia. I mean if you look closely you can actually see my reflection in the cat's pupil.