[Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12) [First Gen Only]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ahage16

Sep 16, 2010
You can easily check if root was installed properly by running an application that requires root: root explorer, titanium backup, etc...

FFF and TWRP definitely failed to install. wget also failed to fetch the files in the first place. Can you tell us a bit more about the way you're using KFU? Did you try placing it in a short path, such as C:\KFU ? Are you right clicking and "Running as Administrator"? (this can mess up the paths) Did you edit any of the files? Take a look in files/files.log as well... OR make sure KFU/wget isn't being blocked by a firewall of some sort.

You may want to just redownload KFU and start from scratch. Also, double check the drivers, even if they appear to be working right, make sure they show up like in the table here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23747671&postcount=2

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried moving it to a short path and temporarily disabling firewall before running root installer again, but it doesn't seem to be working after I tried running setCPU. Driver seems to be installed fine as well. I'll try redownloading and see if that fixes anything.

EDIT: Whenever I ran the batch file, even though I didn't right click run as administrator, it would say administrator in the title bar. I tried running it when logged in as a standard user, and the word is gone from the title bar, but the results are the same. I haven't edited any files, and this is what my files.log looks like:

Last edited:

Dasanko

Dec 18, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried moving it to a short path and temporarily disabling firewall before running root installer again, but it doesn't seem to be working after I tried running setCPU. Driver seems to be installed fine as well. I'll try redownloading and see if that fixes anything.

EDIT: Whenever I ran the batch file, even though I didn't right click run as administrator, it would say administrator in the title bar. I tried running it when logged in as a standard user, and the word is gone from the title bar, but the results are the same. I haven't edited any files, and this is what my files.log looks like:

It looks fine, I assume you've already tried redownloading KFU? Although the issue is probably in your OS.

As a get around, you can try manually downloading those files, using the links included in your files.log to get (put them under KFU\recovery) whichever ones you want to flash (and it wouldn't hurt to verify their hash later using a program for it), although at this point, I'm not so sure using KFU to flash FFF and TWRP is a good idea at all - something else may fail, and that wouldn't be a good or nice thing.

ahage16

Sep 16, 2010
I'm pretty sure I managed to get everything working correctly, although I don't know why no one else was having problems. I tried manually downloading the necessary files, but the script still was not finding them. I noticed that it was looking for files with different names then the downloaded ones, so I renamed all the files, but then the MD5 check was failing on all of them. So I manually checked MD5, and removed that part checks it in the script, and then everything seems to work correctly. I was able to run a root only app, and I can boot into recovery. I don't know why I didn't just do this manually to begin with.

Last edited:

Higg777

Apr 18, 2012
Any though what I should do to get root from that error? Seems like the root checker isn't allowing removal.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium

Techlyfe

mv: can't rename '/system/bin/check_rooted': No such file or directory

Please wait...

Installing Superuser.apk
Error: Could not access the Package Manager. Is the system running?

What exactly are you doing or more precisely what have you done already?

What ROM/Firmware are you currently running.

Have you tried Sideloading Superuser.apk?

Reactions: Higg777

Higg777

Apr 18, 2012
What exactly are you doing or more precisely what have you done already?

What ROM/Firmware are you currently running.

Have you tried Sideloading Superuser.apk?

Thank you for the response. I'm using KFU only. I'm on stock ROM/firmware. I tried flashing a superuser zip from recovery but that didn't take. That error comes in the batch when trying the root option. I was able to successfully flash TWRP and CWM recoveries though, so device communication seems good.

Dasanko

Dec 18, 2010
Thank you for the response. I'm using KFU only. I'm on stock ROM/firmware. I tried flashing a superuser zip from recovery but that didn't take. That error comes in the batch when trying the root option. I was able to successfully flash TWRP and CWM recoveries though, so device communication seems good.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1552547

Since you're having issues rooting, try the manual method (you didn't mention which stock version, so I'm assuming >=6.3): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1568340

Techlyfe

I was able to successfully flash TWRP and CWM recoveries though, so device communication seems good.

Not exactly sure of the issue, it could be possible that you don't quite have root as of yet. Have you tried using an app that requires root?

Try this, sideloading the superuser.apk :

Plug up your kindle, and enable mass storage mode.

Copy the superuser.apk file that is located in KFU\files folder, onto your kindle. Disable mass storage mode and on the kindle use a file browser to navigate to the location where you copied superuser.apk. Now click the file to install it.

Wait a minute, on the stock rom, and most, if not all roms, there is an option that allows installation of non-market apps, usually located in security tab of settings. Do you have that enabled? If not, that is your issue i believe. You can't side load/install apps via adb or file browsers unless you enable that setting, if i'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

wayzata

Mar 21, 2012
Damn this is INSANELY involved beyond what I've seen on other devices.

The Kindle shows up as ADB Composite Device or something but it says device not found when I try to run the first adb command, tried adb kill-server and it still didn't work. Any ideas?

I mean honestly, are you trying to make it impossible? I've read all the guides and it's like when you get a math lecture and they basically explain 2+2=4 then the test is "If you have $10 find the mass of the sun"

Last edited:

Techlyfe

Damn this is INSANELY involved beyond what I've seen on other devices.

The Kindle shows up as ADB Composite Device or something but it says device not found when I try to run the first adb command, tried adb kill-server and it still didn't work. Any ideas?

I mean honestly, are you trying to make it impossible? I've read all the guides and it's like when you get a math lecture and they basically explain 2+2=4 then the test is "If you have $10 find the mass of the sun"

This is the KFU thread, why would you be running adb commands?

*edit* What exactly are you doing, you don't mention whether or not the device shows up ONLINE nor do you state whether kfu displays what bootmode. I have no idea from what you (explained?) that would allow anyone to help you in the least.

Last edited:

DeamonFish

Feb 11, 2011
Eagle Mountain
Not sure if it's a problem for anyone else, but it would not install TWRP for me, it would only boot from it.
Code:
	tools\fastboot -i 0x1949 boot recovery\twrp.img

Okay, so, is it supposed to only boot from it? I would have thought that you want it to run tools\fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery\twrp.img

Anyways just thought i'd throw that out there.

Vashypooh

Jun 29, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
Not sure if it's a problem for anyone else, but it would not install TWRP for me, it would only boot from it.
Code:
	tools\fastboot -i 0x1949 boot recovery\twrp.img

Okay, so, is it supposed to only boot from it? I would have thought that you want it to run tools\fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery\twrp.img

Anyways just thought i'd throw that out there.

You are not using the latest KFU.

ninjames

Oct 16, 2010
Dayton
Really not sure where to ask this, but can I get some help? Rooted today using this utility, and installed Google Play/Go Launcher

Is there any way to go back to using Kindle's native reading app? When I click on books it instead opens the mobile equivalent of the Kindle App to use. For one, it's a sloppier interface and not good. For two, I don't like clicking a book from the carousel and opening up into an app. I want to go straight to a book. In other words, I don't want anything to do with that app or Go Launcher, really.

Is there a way to go back? I can't even get the new Kindle App to recognize any of my books. Clicking on one just opens to a blank kindle screen. No idea to even sync books to that app.

Lastly, is there a way to get the Google Play store into the Kindle Launcher? This is all really confusing. I may want to go back to stock if it's taking away functionality to root it.

And I apologize because I'm sure this has been asked before ..

EDIT: Now all of my books aren't showing up at all, despite being in "Documents" on the SD Card (where Calibre placed them and where they appeared on the main Books tab since before rooting) and books won't download from the cloud when I tell them to. How do I reverse all of this and go back to how I was? Before root with the original recovery. Unless there's a way to remove all this other crap and just be rooted with the play store (ie, still using the native kindle interface that actually works ...)

EDITEDITEDIT: Wow. Alright, so I apologize once again for making this all muddled and the like. I wiped and flashed the stock rom and everything seems to be back to normal. Can't quite figure out the best way to root and get Google Play without custom launchers or ruining my actual kindle app.

Last edited:

Techlyfe

Wow. Alright, so I apologize once again for making this all muddled and the like. I wiped and flashed the stock rom and everything seems to be back to normal. Can't quite figure out the best way to root and get Google Play without custom launchers or ruining my actual kindle app.

Rooting with KFU doesn't actually make any real changes to the stock rom outside of adding root. What you must have done before was update the kindle app in playstore with Kindle for android. That was your mistake, three apps you must not update: Kindle for android, Google Music and Google Movies. They will give you hell, (not work like you are used to them working in stock launcher) when your on a stock rom.

You can use another launcher, but in that launcher you must put a shortcut to the kindle launcher nearby to access the other functionality that you are used to.

1. Install root
2. Install google apps / go launcher
3. When done, and you get the option to select the default launcher, do not let go launcher be the default launcher. Check the "make this default" box and select the kindle launcher.
4. You should be good to go, just do not upload those 3 apps i mentioned above.

Oh and the reason the kindle for android app wasnt reading your documents folder is because it is hardcoded to check the new sdcard\kindle folder for books.

jacewt

Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles
Really not sure where to ask this, but can I get some help? Rooted today using this utility, and installed Google Play/Go Launcher

Is there any way to go back to using Kindle's native reading app? When I click on books it instead opens the mobile equivalent of the Kindle App to use. For one, it's a sloppier interface and not good. For two, I don't like clicking a book from the carousel and opening up into an app. I want to go straight to a book. In other words, I don't want anything to do with that app or Go Launcher, really.

Is there a way to go back? I can't even get the new Kindle App to recognize any of my books. Clicking on one just opens to a blank kindle screen. No idea to even sync books to that app.

Lastly, is there a way to get the Google Play store into the Kindle Launcher? This is all really confusing. I may want to go back to stock if it's taking away functionality to root it.

And I apologize because I'm sure this has been asked before ..

EDIT: Now all of my books aren't showing up at all, despite being in "Documents" on the SD Card (where Calibre placed them and where they appeared on the main Books tab since before rooting) and books won't download from the cloud when I tell them to. How do I reverse all of this and go back to how I was? Before root with the original recovery. Unless there's a way to remove all this other crap and just be rooted with the play store (ie, still using the native kindle interface that actually works ...)

EDITEDITEDIT: Wow. Alright, so I apologize once again for making this all muddled and the like. I wiped and flashed the stock rom and everything seems to be back to normal. Can't quite figure out the best way to root and get Google Play without custom launchers or ruining my actual kindle app.

If you get google play, do not update the kindle app through google play. It will break your kindle app on custom rom. Do not install go launcher or any other thing. You can get google play and keep stock just the way it is.

hallstevenson

Feb 7, 2010
Germantown OH
I learned not to update the Kindle app through Google's Market ! After I did, my wife wanted to know where her books were ! It made her log back in and Amazon didn't make her re-pay, but did make re-download them.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

CannibalAngel

Apr 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I keep getting this error when running run.bat:

uploadfromtaptalk1337748732579.jpg

Any suggestions?

I am on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and am right-clicking and choosing Run as Administrator.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Techlyfe

I keep getting this error when running run.bat:

View attachment 1078219

Any suggestions?

I am on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and am right-clicking and choosing Run as Administrator.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Rename the \Kindle Fire Ultility folder to KFU and also put the folder at the root of a drive so that it looks like this C:\KFU or D:\KFU and try again. Usually this happens when you have characters or spaces in your username.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: DO NOT use this on 2nd Generation Devices or you risk bricking your Device.

These procedures are for FIRST GENERATION Devices ONLY. In otherwords, for the ORIGINAL KF. If you proceed to use this on your 2nd Generation Device, and you BRICK it, don't complain. You have been warned.

This thread is also no longer maintained. A new Thread has been opened.

The new Thread

MD Moderator XDA

Hi all, some of you may have seen my utility over in the de-bricking thread. My goal at this point is to try and make lives easier for everyone I can.

So what I have done is created a script that can be used to handle a lot of common things people may want, and I will continue to add things people request that I think would be easy, and beneficial. I just wanted to make this situation easier for the average person.

You will see how the tool detects you at the default screen, and can refresh it by hitting 0 at any menu to have it refresh ADB/Fastboot and see what mode the kindle is in.

Currently the tool does:

• Automatic elevation to root for tool operations.
    • Full root install.
    • Auto detect current bootmode.
    • Auto Detect ADB/Fastboot Online/Offline.
    • Auto download update.zip from Amazon.
    • Auto download and install TWRP Recovery.
    • Auto download and install CWM Recovery.
    • Auto download and install FFF Bootloader.
    • Manage current bootmodes.
    • Manage Read/Write.
    • Install GoogleApps/Market/GoLauncherEX.
    • Lock/Unlock the Wallpaper from being changed.

Currently the tool comes packaged with the drivers required to operate ADB and Fastboot.

Please note: If your device can't be seen in fastboot mode, please make sure to install the drivers packaged with this, as it will show up afterwards. You can use the install_drivers.bat with the device plugged in for this.

Usage should be straight forward for the tool. If you are having issues with something, this tool has a good chance of getting you back on track. This issue was found and fixed using this post: Click me Over at Rootzwiki.

I make no claim that this tool is perfect, but I certainly will do my best to support it as long as people like it.

Here are some screen-shots of it:

kf_util_1.png

kf_util_2.png

kf_util_3.png

kf_util_4.png

kf_util_5.png

Credits goto:

Initial work by ubeezee & yareally on there forum thread.
    Full revert based off method from Clavin, "tweaked" by Vashypooh.
    Full credit of TWRP goes to Team Win for releasing an awesome tool! Good job guys.
    I checked with Dees_Troy prior to integrating TWRP install into the tool, and he was alright with it. If this changes, it will be changed or completely removed per their request.
    rooobbbbb on XDA for the Wallpaper Lock trick.
    Jolleyboy/Bandage on XDA for Android Market guide/ Android Apps.
    Sync settings found by Abramel @ XDA.
    Zeb for testing 0.9.4!

Please leave a message if this tool does not help you, malfunctions, or just to say thank you, or request more features!

Don't forget to donate to teamwin for their awesome recovery system over at: Team Win Website

Downloads:

WARNING: The following files ONLY work for the Original KF. Running this on a 2nd Generation KF will brick the device.

Current Release

Version 0.9.6 = Click Here

Extras(Will auto download, only for manual install users)
    Apps.zip = Click Here (Place in a folder called apps)
    TWRP = Click Here (Place in a folder called recovery)

Old Releases

Version 0.9.5 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.4 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.3 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.2 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.1 = Click Here
    Version .9 = Click Here
    Version .8 = Click Here
    Version .7 = Click Here
    Version .6 = Click Here
    Version .5 = Click Here
    Version .4 = Click Here
    Version .3 = Click Here
    Version .2 = Click Here
    Version .1 = Click Here

Bug Fixes

Version 0.9.6 = Fixed the rooting issue of not installing superuser.apk. Oops!
    Version 0.9.6 = Updated the options of recoveries and the root processes.
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected Gapps installer, now works!
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected some installer issues with recoveries.
    Version 0.9.5 = Fixed the update not installing gapps correctly and crashing.
    Version 0.9.4 = Removed framework option as it confused people and really isn't used.
    Version 0.9.4 = Updated for amazon 6.3 update.
    Version 0.9.3 = Added option to load Burritoroots FireFireFire installer.
    Version 0.9.3 = Fixed to support latest BurritoRoot, sorry it took so long!
    Version 0.9.2 = Changed back to using the official TWRP download URL. They are allowing wget now.
    Version 0.9.2 = Rewrote TWRP installer to use a new method requiring zero user interaction. It should just work.
    Version 0.9.2 = New driver installer using the WDK install system. Should work perfect, every time.
    Version 0.9.1 = Fix TWRP download that Techerratta blocked. Hosting it myself for the moment.
    Version .9 = Minor fix in install drivers batch.
    Version .8 = Tried to make the TWRP installer a bit more verbose in telling people what to do.
    Version .8 = Fixed some issues with order of checking for root.
    Version .8 = Rewrote the driver installer to try to be a bit better and catch fastboot issues.
    Version .7 = Rewrote a lot of things to make them more user friendly and help the user know what is going on.
    Version .7 = Switched away from Zergrush to BurritoRoot
    Version .6 = Now pauses for users to finish the TWRP install before trying to bring it back to normal bootmode.
    Version .5 = Fixed my screwup of TWRP installer. My debug code was posted instead of real code ;( Sorry!
    Version .4 = Cleaned up a bit of code relating to zergRush, it now waits for ADB to come back online before continuing.
    Version .4 = Checks for files already downloaded so we don't waste bandwidth.
    Version .4 = Fixed the Fastboot loader command for TWRP, TWRP install should work better.
    Version .3 = Cleaned up a few areas, fixed a few issues that could revolve around ADB being out of date.
    Version .2 = Fixed issue with TWRP installer leaving the user in Fastboot instead of returning to Normal (4000).
    Version .1 = Initial Release.

New Features

Version 0.9.4 = Added a FireFireFire installer / updater per request!
    Version 0.9.4 = Added a CWM Installer per request!
    Version 0.9.2 = Setup an update system that allows me to change what users download the file from and what MD5 is legitimate so I can update packages.
    Version 0.9.2 = Added MD5 checking of all files downloaded for legitimacy.
    Version .9 = Added failsafe system to /system/
    Version .7 = Automatic BurritoRoot courtesy of Jcase of TeamAndIRC. Thanks man!
    Version .3 = New Driver installer. Just run install_drivers.bat before running the tool and all driver issues should be resolved. Could use some feedback on this.
    Version .3 = Added an extras menu with a few features to help people out!

Known Tricks

• If you end up stuck at the yellow triangle, in KF Utility select Boot Normal, wait for it to say <waiting for device> and then press and hold the power button 20 seconds until the fire turns off, then when its off turn it back on. This sometimes happens, I have yet to find a clean solution :(
    • If you end up stuck with a yellow triangle, do not EVER unplug it. Leave it plugged in. Check the windows drivers to make sure it isnt showing as "kindle" again. Fastboot is different and can cause this.

Need Live Help?

Kindle Fire IRC

Please visit there, and I may be able to help in person, if you are willing, I will even TeamViewer in to help! Rest assured, the chances of you actually bricking your kindle are very low, I or someone else can and would love to help. It helps us think of was to better handle things.
    I tries that in my device manager it says unknow device with yellow mark when i go to update driver it says the latest is already installed

Alright. Let me guide you through this...
    -Download the attachment I provide below and place it in somewhere you KNOW where you can find it easily. (I placed it in C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver(I would recommend doing the same))
    -Go to device manager
    -right click on the exclamation mark kindle.
    -Choose update driver software
    -choose browse my computer for driver software
    -choose let me pick from a list of devices on my computer
    -Then select have disk
    -Then select browse
    -direct to where you downloaded the usb driver i attached
    -Select okay and okay

Download here
    you sir are incredible good job :)

I love the dev work that the kindle is getting. This thing will be 100% unlocked in no time with lots of great custom roms and kernels :D Makes me really happy as this is my first android device.
    New version of KFU

I PM'd VashyPooh and he is no longer supporting KFU because he doesn't own a Kindle Fire anymore. So now I will be maintaining this project for now. I am going to make a new thread and release Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.7+. Here is the new thread :) I don't know what should be done with this thread though once it becomes obsolete.

VashyPooh, thank you for what you've done here you've helped me and thousands of people root, install custom firmware, and de-brick our devices. We really appreciate what you've done for us and all the hard work you've put in to this. :good:

Also, thank you for letting me update this because now your utility will be able to help even more people. :)
    Kindle Fire Utility .7 released.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Notes:

• Exclusive support from jcase for this tool providing a custom BurritoRoot. Please Uninstall any old version you have on the fire.
    • Full support for rooting the Kindle permanently.
    • Easy TWRP installer from my TWRP tool is moved into here.

As usual, post any bugs or issues, or find me on IRC.