[APP][4.0+] CyanogenMod's Calculator

Search This thread

Xlythe

Feb 9, 2010
Waterloo
Possible to add to the code - yes. Possible to do in the app currently - no.

I'm not working on the app right now though. I can point you in the right direction if you want to make the changes yourself.

Wikiwix

Jan 18, 2013
Possible Improvements

Hey,
I love your calculator but I have 2 minor flaws:

The overflow menu-button is not "swipeable" in Kitkat. (in Kitkat you can tap and hold the button and then drag to the wished item and release to open it, but not in your app...)
The icons are low res: on a Nexus 5 the light, as well as the black icon are kind of washed out ( I guess no xxhdpi/xxxhdpi resources?)

Would be great if you could fix those issues.

Xlythe

Feb 9, 2010
Waterloo
Been working on some new features. Currently, it's in ALPHA because things do break... Especially on tablets. If you've already installed from the store or OP, you'll have to uninstall first.

Change log:

• New theme engine! Good news, anyone can make and share themes now. By installing a theme apk and selecting it from Settings, you can change your color scheme. The old white theme will be available as a separate apk. Bad news, the app icon is no longer theme-able.
  • Rearrange pages! As well as enabling/disabling pages, you can now reorder them.
  • Infinite scrolling! Going left will wrap around to the pages on the right. Same for going right.
  • Hex/Trig details will be in the top left. Should this be an option in Settings?

Bugs:

• Hex/Bin conversion doesn't work on tablets
  • [fixed]The graph page likes to disappear. Especially on tablets.
  • [fixed]Pages disappear if the app is inactive for a while.
  • [fixed]Duplicate menu items.

Features left to add:

• Store page. Will list themes available on the market.
  • Vibration on button press.

Attachments

• android_packages_apps_Calculator.apk
    1 MB · Views: 65
  • CalculatorLightTheme.apk
    294 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Xlythe

Feb 9, 2010
Waterloo
This fixes a lot of the bugs in the previous alpha. Pages shouldn't disappear anymore and the details in the top left are available in landscape. Tablets should work fine now, except for Hex/Bin conversion.

For the full changelog, read the post above this. The copy of the white theme is there too.

Attachments

• android_packages_apps_Calculator.apk
    1 MB · Views: 415

Xlythe

Feb 9, 2010
Waterloo
Well, the last update didn't get too much excitement. So I'm not sure about this one... Attached apk is a BETA but it's stable. Just hoping to test it on a wider variety of devices.

Changelog:

Floating calculator
Google Glass support
Enable vibration for buttons
Switch between rad/deg by tapping on the details in the top left
Minor bugfixes / tweaks

Attachments

• Calculator-debug-unaligned.apk
    1.8 MB · Views: 222

hackel

Sep 14, 2011
Minneapolis
I really love this calculator. How can I get the combined view depicted in the third screenshot (third from last on Play store) that puts the advanced functions on a single screen with numeric input in portrait mode? I really hate constantly swiping back and forth. I've checked the settings and the theme store, but haven't found it anywhere.

Edit: Using the App Settings Xposed module, I discovered that I could obtain the desired result on my Nexus 5 by setting the Screen (dp) to 600x1024, which must trick it into thinking I'm using a tablet. I also set font scale to 80%. This is almost perfect for me.

My only (very minor) complaint is that there seems to be a lot of wasted space right below the calculator number display and between the panels. Also, the clear button is huge! I think some of that extra space could be put to better use by increasing the height of the history grab bar.

It would be great to make this UI available for phones, too, without using an Xposed hack.

xriMVbT.png

Last edited:

nsxviper

Jan 1, 2014
I was wondering if someone could switch the decimal with the number 0 so that the . is in the middle and the 0 is on the left? I'm used to typing on the numpad and I keep pressing the 0 button instead of decimal. I only want the change for the basic calculator functions in portrait mode. I think I think I'm supposed to edit the res/layout-port/simple_pad but I couldn't figure out how to compile the package to test my changes.

Xlythe

Feb 9, 2010
Waterloo
5.0's coming soon (Like, tomorrow) and Calculator finally has a redesign. This hasn't happened since 4.0 - 3 years ago! We've been thinking about how to merge our code and Google's, and below are some screenshots of what we've mocked up. We're looking for community feedback before we get too invested. :]

Some other features we're considering:
-Integrals
Integrate from a to b over any function
-Saving Functions
Save a function, f1(x), and use it later. For example, if f1(x)=5X, then f1(0) + f1(1) + f1(2) = 15.
-Calculate probabilities
Mean, standard deviation, mode, n choose m.
-Voice support
Speak your question aloud and have the app reply with an answer

And features we're deprecating:
-Themes
With the new UI, we don't think it's as important to customize the app. At the very least, it's not a priority.
-Equations that aren't functions
You can no longer do y^2+x^2=16 to graph circles. That's always been a big problem with the app. You'll be restricted to functions of the form f(x)=_______.

So!
What are your opinions on the new design?
What do you like about Calculator? What don't you like?
What features do other calculators have that you wish Calculator had (Or that you wish calculators had in general)
Would you be willing to pay for new features? With in-app-purchase, or through a plugin system?

You can also discuss on our G+ Community below:
https://plus.google.com/communities/113267954723034972092

Attachments

• orbs.png
    orbs.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 559
  • graph2.png
    graph2.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 563
  • history.png
    history.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 534
  • table2.png
    table2.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 518

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Market Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android2.calculator3
    Direct Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnnppr2ojkigm3x/%28market%29%20Calculator_v4.0.apk

Calculator

Calculator is focused on extending the traditional 4 function calculator, keeping its simplicity while still adding features used in higher level math. It uses the original Android calculator as a base.

The project was started by me in June 2012 and by October 2012 it was accepted into CyanogenMod. Since then, users of the app have helped greatly in cleaning up the ui, improving the matrix features, and translating the app into all the languages currently available. Without them, this app would be nowhere near as polished as it's become.

Because the app is intended as a full replacement, it's recommended that you hide your default calculator by either disabling it (v4.1+) or using a custom launcher. Otherwise, the similar app names may prove confusing.

Calculator has the following features and more:

-Basic arithmetic
    -Trigonometry
    -Complex numbers
    -Graphs for X,Y functions
    -Matrices
    -Hexadecimal and Binary support
    -Widget for lockscreen and launcher
    -History of previous calculations
    -Themeing support

The app is completely open source and the source can be downloaded at: https://github.com/Xlythe/android_packages_apps_Calculator/tree/ics

Note: The pictures below are old and from the beta test. Check out the market link for more current pictures.
    Making it 2.1+ is a lot of work, and I'm already working on another project (with a third being sketched up). I'm heading back to school in a week so we'll see if I have more time or less. (And of course, anyone else is welcome to do this too.)

I'll push an update when I find the time to make history copy-able.

I'm thinking of removing the Solve for X, Solve for Y, dX, dY, integral buttons, and maybe mod/coma as well. I have to get away from using Wolfram Alpha but I haven't found a good library to solve it locally. And deleting the whole page (but keeping X, Y for graphing) means results can have comas.
    v1.5.1 is release, and I dropped it out of beta. If anyone knows how to submit it back to CyanogenMod, I'd be grateful for any advice on how to proceed. I already sent a pull request, but I don't know if they look at those things.
    Ah, no, there's no way to switch between degrees and radians. You can always multiply by (pi/180) to go from degrees to radians though.

Ex: sin(90 * pi/180) = 1

It's like switching units in physics. 180degrees = 1pi, so multiplying by it is like multiplying by 1. You divide out the degrees and multiply by the radians.

I'm still aiming for that perfect balance of complexity in the app. I hate TIs because they have so many buttons, it easily gets overwhelming. In calculus/linear algebra I just used a 4 function calculator so what I'm building now is very much for myself, haha.
    THAT I want to be a high priority. I only get 2,000 free calls to Wolfram - what I have now will not scale. Not to mention, local is always better.

I think Apache Commons (The library I'm using for matrix math) can do it but I have to look into it more. If I can ween off Wolfram, submitting this to Cyanogenmod could be a possibility. :] Actually being accepted and added into the build is another thing, but a programmer can dream, can't he?