[Q] Stuck on bouncing circles after adding second google account

Search This thread

purkinje90

Apr 23, 2014
I added an additional Google account to my Nexus 7 (completely stock, nothing changed/modded other than installing apps/files) about a week ago, and when I tried to switch back to the first account, it froze for a few seconds and then showed the bouncing circles indefinitely. Any attempt at shutting down the device fails, because I immediately see the Google logo after a second of black -- the device keeps powering itself back on. Every time it boots up it goes to the bouncing circles.

So, I tried factory resetting the device from fastboot. This does allow the device to get past the bouncing circles screen, but it isn't a permanent fix. When I first start setup, I get the error "Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped". During setup, I left the box "Back up your data to a Google Account. Restore previous backups to this device" checked during setup (with the other checkboxes on that setup screen unchecked). With those settings, I get the following behavior:

All of my apps start updating, until it tries to update Google Wallet, Maps and Calendar. I get a notification that those three apps require approval. Then Hangouts tries to update, but it notifies me that "Hangouts requires an update to Google Play Services". Sometimes, at this point, I'll get the android.process.media has stopped error again. Soon after the notification appears, the device will freeze for 1-2 seconds, and then will go back to the bouncing circles.

I'm guessing I need to completely reset the device to fix this issue. I found a guide on restoring a Nexus 7 back to the full factory image. Is that what I should try next, or are there easier things I should try next?

Last edited:

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
I would just follow the guide for flashing a new image something weird is going on it may be easier just to start again from a clean flash.

Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Reactions: purkinje90

purkinje90

Apr 23, 2014
I would just follow the guide for flashing a new image something weird is going on it may be easier just to start again from a clean flash.

Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Flashing the factory image fixed the issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.