[Howto] Install a Recovery

Search This thread

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4
NOTE: If anyone has any further questions about recoveries on the S3, please note that I have moved on to another device. Sorry!

So you've got your device rooted, and you want to install a custom recovery? Great! Don't just follow any guide you stumble across though, as some of the early recovery packages for the "AT&T" model were actually just copies of the custom Sprint recovery, and then you'll have all sorts of fun trying to install ROMs. ("Status 7" errors anyone? :p)

I'd like to talk about 4 ways to get the custom recovery of your choice onto your device.

1. Using mskip's Toolkit CWM [link]
    Follow the instructions posted in his thread, and if you have any problems, direct them there as well!

2. Using ROM Manager CWM [link]
    For some reason, ROM Manager doesn't always offer the correct list of devices to flash a recovery for and you won't see the SGS3 (AT&T) in the list. If that happens, force-close the app from Settings > Applications and try again. If this method just won't work for you, move on to option 4.

3. Using GooManager TWRP [link]
    If you've been looking at ROMs, you may have noticed Goo.IM is a popular hosting website for Android developers. It's so popular, in fact, that they have produced an Android app that searches their website for updates for your ROM, and can even install TWRP with only a few simple clicks! Just open up GooManager, tap Menu, and tap "Install OpenRecoveryScript". You will be guided step-by-step from there by the app.
    Note: Some people (myself included) have reported issues with this method, where the app claims to have installed the recovery, but when you reboot into recovery mode, nothing has changed. This issue may have been resolved in newer versions; I was able to successfully install TWRP using this method on Sept 26 2012.

4. Manually via ADB or Terminal Emulator CWM or TWRP [Terminal Emulator link]
    If the other options just won't work for you, or if you would rather do an install by hand to ensure you're getting the latest version, read on...
Manually Installing a Recovery

While this may seem difficult, it's really not. Grab a recovery image (these files end in ".img") such as ClockWork Mod (CWM) or Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) for your device. Most ROM developers say to use CWM, but they both work equally well.

In our case, we need an image for the Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T. Telus, Rogers, Bell, and SaskTel phones are (almost*) the exact same phone as AT&T, if you have one of these devices, you will be installing the AT&T recovery.

Now, transfer the ".img" file you downloaded onto your device. I'd suggest somewhere with a nice short path, like "/sdcard/<file>.img" (you'll thank me later, especially if you're using terminal emulator on the device)

Now, let's back up your existing recovery. If things go wrong, you can use this backup to get back to where you started.
Code:
$ su
# dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/recovery-backup.img
That should have created a "recovery-backup.img" on your phone's internal storage.

Here's the part you've been waiting for: Flashing the new image, which installs it as your recovery system. You do this from either an ADB shell or inside Terminal Emulator.
Code:
$ su
# dd if=/sdcard/[B]<file>[/B].img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

You're done. Reboot into your new recovery by holding VolUp and Home while you power on your device.

If you need to return to the stock recovery, that IMG can be downloaded here: stock-recovery.img - 10.00 MB

*NOTE: While we're on the topic, let's take a second to talk about what makes the Canadian I747M different from the AT&T I747.

The short version is... The modem. AT&T is using completely different and incompatible modem firmware in their phones when compared with the Canadian models. Rogers, Bell, Telus, and any other Canadian I747M are the same device (Samsung worked some strange voodoo and got all the Canadian carriers to agree on the same hardware!) which means that if Rogers releases a new modem firmware update, a SaskTel user could install it without issue. AT&T modem updates will not work on Canadian models, nor will Canadian updates work on AT&T phones! I've tried it. Trust me. You don't want to deal with the hassle of fixing it.

Please remember to click/stick/lick/kick the "Thanks" button if you found this guide helpful!

Last edited:

Uncle Irish

Nov 23, 2009
How bout a 4th method for TWRP?

This should come in handy for some of the newer users

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4
Well, the other TWRP method assumes that you already have a custom recovery installed to flash the ZIP from... If you've gotten that far already, I don't think you should need me to tell you how to flash a ZIP. ;)

Reactions: bori1030

bori1030

Aug 3, 2010
washington D.C.
theres also GooManager from the market. its how I installed TWRP just download the app open it hit menu you'll see some options come up hit "install Open Recovery Script" it will ask if your sure hit ok and your done the whole process will take 30secs

Reactions: Uncle Irish

nekkidtruth

Jun 2, 2010
I rooted my phone just after I bought it but was holding off on installing recovery due to how many hours I spend at work. Haven't had the time. I was also waiting on clear instructions on doing it manually, as it's easier for me since I'm not home often enough to use my PC and can't use the USB cord at work. Thank you SO much! Worked perfectly!

Edit: Spoke a little too soon. I'm seeing my backup dated 1970....o_O

Last edited:

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4
I rooted my phone just after I bought it but was holding off on installing recovery due to how many hours I spend at work. Haven't had the time. I was also waiting on clear instructions on doing it manually, as it's easier for me since I'm not home often enough to use my PC and can't use the USB cord at work. Thank you SO much! Worked perfectly!

Edit: Spoke a little too soon. I'm seeing my backup dated 1970....o_O
That's a known issue with any recovery on the SGS3, it seems that the hardware clock cannot be accessed by the recovery no matter which recovery you use.

Did you happen to make a backup of your stock recovery? If so, I'd like to get a copy of it to add to the OP.

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
Nice HowTo, but the glaring omission is using the GooManager app to flash TWRP.

A lot of people are moving on from the old CWM to "something better".

Reactions: dstruct2k

HAVOK83

Jun 18, 2012
For some after doing the manual install of cwm its not holding it as I enter recovery after I'm done it still shows old recovery. Trying to install cm10 I'm currently on kyanrom

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4
For some after doing the manual install of cwm its not holding it as I enter recovery after I'm done it still shows old recovery. Trying to install cm10 I'm currently on kyanrom

Then you're skipping a step, or typing something incorrectly. Once DD is done its work, you should get a response saying "Copied 10MB OK" or something similar. If it says that, then the stock recovery no longer exists.

jaysoblitzed

Sep 29, 2012
Port Saint Lucie

Please visit this post and follow from step 11-15. Shows kind of messed up on the XDA app so view it on your desktop. Very detailed guide for those who are confused. Thank you.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1912335

Sent from my T&K Blessed SGH-I747

Last edited:

HAVOK83

Jun 18, 2012
I followed those same steps but from a different thread and it still wasn't upgrading my clockwork recovery and kept getting status 7 when trying to flash cm10. Now I installed touch version hoping I would be able to get cm10 installed but still getting status 7. Any help appreciated

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: If anyone has any further questions about recoveries on the S3, please note that I have moved on to another device. Sorry!

So you've got your device rooted, and you want to install a custom recovery? Great! Don't just follow any guide you stumble across though, as some of the early recovery packages for the "AT&T" model were actually just copies of the custom Sprint recovery, and then you'll have all sorts of fun trying to install ROMs. ("Status 7" errors anyone? :p)

I'd like to talk about 4 ways to get the custom recovery of your choice onto your device.

1. Using mskip's Toolkit CWM [link]
      Follow the instructions posted in his thread, and if you have any problems, direct them there as well!

2. Using ROM Manager CWM [link]
      For some reason, ROM Manager doesn't always offer the correct list of devices to flash a recovery for and you won't see the SGS3 (AT&T) in the list. If that happens, force-close the app from Settings > Applications and try again. If this method just won't work for you, move on to option 4.

3. Using GooManager TWRP [link]
      If you've been looking at ROMs, you may have noticed Goo.IM is a popular hosting website for Android developers. It's so popular, in fact, that they have produced an Android app that searches their website for updates for your ROM, and can even install TWRP with only a few simple clicks! Just open up GooManager, tap Menu, and tap "Install OpenRecoveryScript". You will be guided step-by-step from there by the app.
      Note: Some people (myself included) have reported issues with this method, where the app claims to have installed the recovery, but when you reboot into recovery mode, nothing has changed. This issue may have been resolved in newer versions; I was able to successfully install TWRP using this method on Sept 26 2012.

4. Manually via ADB or Terminal Emulator CWM or TWRP [Terminal Emulator link]
      If the other options just won't work for you, or if you would rather do an install by hand to ensure you're getting the latest version, read on...
    Manually Installing a Recovery

While this may seem difficult, it's really not. Grab a recovery image (these files end in ".img") such as ClockWork Mod (CWM) or Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) for your device. Most ROM developers say to use CWM, but they both work equally well.

In our case, we need an image for the Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T. Telus, Rogers, Bell, and SaskTel phones are (almost*) the exact same phone as AT&T, if you have one of these devices, you will be installing the AT&T recovery.

Now, transfer the ".img" file you downloaded onto your device. I'd suggest somewhere with a nice short path, like "/sdcard/<file>.img" (you'll thank me later, especially if you're using terminal emulator on the device)

Now, let's back up your existing recovery. If things go wrong, you can use this backup to get back to where you started.
    Code:
    $ su
    # dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/recovery-backup.img
    That should have created a "recovery-backup.img" on your phone's internal storage.

Here's the part you've been waiting for: Flashing the new image, which installs it as your recovery system. You do this from either an ADB shell or inside Terminal Emulator.
    Code:
    $ su
    # dd if=/sdcard/[B]<file>[/B].img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

You're done. Reboot into your new recovery by holding VolUp and Home while you power on your device.

If you need to return to the stock recovery, that IMG can be downloaded here: stock-recovery.img - 10.00 MB

*NOTE: While we're on the topic, let's take a second to talk about what makes the Canadian I747M different from the AT&T I747.

The short version is... The modem. AT&T is using completely different and incompatible modem firmware in their phones when compared with the Canadian models. Rogers, Bell, Telus, and any other Canadian I747M are the same device (Samsung worked some strange voodoo and got all the Canadian carriers to agree on the same hardware!) which means that if Rogers releases a new modem firmware update, a SaskTel user could install it without issue. AT&T modem updates will not work on Canadian models, nor will Canadian updates work on AT&T phones! I've tried it. Trust me. You don't want to deal with the hassle of fixing it.

Please remember to click/stick/lick/kick the "Thanks" button if you found this guide helpful!
    Moved to General so new members can post questions
    and stuck
    FNM
    Anyone know where to get stock sammy recovery img? Searched but didn't see it.

Edit: Got it.
    Well, the other TWRP method assumes that you already have a custom recovery installed to flash the ZIP from... If you've gotten that far already, I don't think you should need me to tell you how to flash a ZIP. ;)
    theres also GooManager from the market. its how I installed TWRP just download the app open it hit menu you'll see some options come up hit "install Open Recovery Script" it will ask if your sure hit ok and your done the whole process will take 30secs