using galaxy note 8 as an android tv only?

Search This thread

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
I accidentally sat on my galaxy note 8 yesterday (damn it) and the screen is now broken... i cannot see anything (part of the screen is dark and other part is "scrambled") ... anyway I now want to convert the device into an android tv device as repair will cost too much...problem is I cannot navigate with the device touchscreen as I can't see nothing....

what do i need to completely convert it into an android tv? software, cables, etc... I bought the mhl hdmi cables from ebay but none worked... recommend me the correct cables to buy plz.. thx

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
You're in a "catch 22" scenario, you could use an OTG cable and a mouse, to enable Bluetooth and pair to a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but you can't see the screen to make the pair and you can't use the MHL cable and the OTG cable together.

You'll be better off getting a new screen off eBay and replacing it yourself.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
no way to "navigate" using adb something like that and set up a bash script that outputs/tv mirroring with mhl?

Replacing the screen seems quite pricey (I am going to use that money to buy a budget chinese dual boot android/win8 tab instead)

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
As for using it as a TV...

Seems like the stock video player does pass 1080i 30pfs well, all other players paid or not only passes 720p.

As most all streaming services push 720p as High Def, using 1080i would be very rare, and with today's standards to allow Cable to choke our internet. There is a monopoly going on, and if it were the 70's Comcast and Verizon would be heading to court just like AT&T.

You can get a MHL HDMI adapter, and use it to use a TV to connect. I have a Samsung TV, so Anynet+ will automatically turn on the TV and switch to the input when connected to the tablet.

All you need to do, is make sure the MHL HDMI adapter is connected to the USB power before connecting to the tablet. You can either plug in the MHL adapter before powering on the tablet or plug in once the tablet has been booted up. If plugging in while off, give it a few minutes to display on the TV.

The nice thing is that the adapter will work without need of any settings changes. I use Miracast as it does not need cables and works a wee better. Though many complain about how it functions, i think it is because of modded ROMs and the lack that they do not use Samsung's update to fully optimize the workings of their tablets.

If using Miracast, you will need a MHL adapter to configure the tablet for syncing... once configured you wont need to connect the MHL adapter. Though if any Miracast settings get changed your not going to be able connect and use your tv, since your tablet's display is broken.

I prefer a stock ROM, as it is fully working, and don't having to fix what others break.

Last edited:

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
thx for the reply but the problem is I cannot use the screen as it's broken... any ideas are welcome

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
ok guys some progress!

using

https://code.google.com/p/androidscreencast/ and http://www.mymobiler.com/

I am able to control my galaxy note 8 from pc now with a usb connection :)

https://code.google.com/p/androidscreencast/ is straightforward but it is very slow and could not get keyboard and mouse to work. I used it to install mymobiler app and grant root access to it... with mymobiler, i can use mouse and keyboard and it is faster but still lags... if anyone knows better/lagless screen mirroring app, let me know.

Now, next step is to connect physical bluetooth mouse and keyboard and hdmi so that i can use it as an android desktop/tv pc

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
ok connected it to my lg monitor and i have an error on my lg monitor HDMI OUT OF RANGE 33.8kHz/30Hz .. any idea?

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
ok connected it to my lg monitor and i have an error on my lg monitor HDMI OUT OF RANGE 33.8kHz/30Hz .. any idea?

You may have to check for PC mode on your telie... My Samsung has the capabilities to run PAL or NTSC through the PC input or HDMI 3, though it is undocumented. Once set at PC, you may have it sync properly.

Reactions: yeahman45

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
You may have to check for PC mode on your telie... My Samsung has the capabilities to run PAL or NTSC through the PC input or HDMI 3, though it is undocumented. Once set at PC, you may have it sync properly.
where do you set this?

I tried it on another monitor (a benq), it detects the signal but nothing is displayed (it displays no preset mode)... I think it's a problem with resolution? I works with my lg led tv only so far...

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
where do you set this?

I tried it on another monitor (a benq), it detects the signal but nothing is displayed (it displays no preset mode)... I think it's a problem with resolution? I works with my lg led tv only so far...

My TV was made in 2008 and has 3D capabilities... Since it is Samsung, there are some features Samsung uses with HDMI connectivity. Such as AnyNet+, as it will detect and switch to the input automatically when connected.

Samsung has a few hidden features on my telie that not all telies have... even within their product lines.

To enable DVI/HDMI for PC use, you must go into the user menu to label the inputs.
There are preset labels, one being PC. That has to be set on HDMI 3 or a DVI/HDMI input.
If your teli has a DB15 SVGA connector, you may have to use an inline HDMI to Analog converter. As used in older projectors.
There can be issues right away, since Samsung uses AnyNet+ and other features within HDMI 3.1 Spec for the tablet and telie.
These issues can be the lack of detecting the tablets output or visa-versa in linking. Also modded firmware don't pay well at all for me.
I reverted to stock so I can use all the features that the tablet offers without having issues.
The stock video player does a great job at delivering 1080p @ 30fps, I wish MXplayer did that, but it comes in handy for video formats that the stock player can't do. The best I can get from MXplayer is 720p @ 60fps. So it seems that MXplayer may be an option if resolution detection is not syncing between stock player. Also the tablet does a great job at converting frame rates with all video players.

Another hidden and undocumented feature, is that my telie even being yank, will do Euro frame rates so I have the ability to play all frame rates, 24, 25, 30, 50, 60, and 75. Yes 75 fps... only when using PC enabled on DVI/HDMI. So I can push odd frame rates without a conversion between DVD/Blu-ray players if connected using PC analog connections or just connecting a PC to play videos.

As for connecting... I plugin the MHL / HDMI adapter to the tablet and then plug in the power adapter to the side of the MHL adapter.
Some telies will deliver 5v though the HDMI cable to power the MHL to HDMI adapter and tablet. Mine is too old and does not deliver 5v though its connection.

Hopes this helps with understanding some limitations with telies and connecting the tablet.

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
My TV was made in 2008 and has 3D capabilities... Since it is Samsung, there are some features Samsung uses with HDMI connectivity. Such as AnyNet+, as it will detect and switch to the input automatically when connected.

Samsung has a few hidden features on my telie that not all telies have... even within their product lines.

To enable DVI/HDMI for PC use, you must go into the user menu to label the inputs.
There are preset labels, one being PC. That has to be set on HDMI 3 or a DVI/HDMI input.
If your teli has a DB15 SVGA connector, you may have to use an inline HDMI to Analog converter. As used in older projectors.
There can be issues right away, since Samsung uses AnyNet+ and other features within HDMI 3.1 Spec for the tablet and telie.
These issues can be the lack of detecting the tablets output or visa-versa in linking. Also modded firmware don't pay well at all for me.
I reverted to stock so I can use all the features that the tablet offers without having issues.
The stock video player does a great job at delivering 1080p @ 30fps, I wish MXplayer did that, but it comes in handy for video formats that the stock player can't do. The best I can get from MXplayer is 720p @ 60fps. So it seems that MXplayer may be an option if resolution detection is not syncing between stock player. Also the tablet does a great job at converting frame rates with all video players.

Another hidden and undocumented feature, is that my telie even being yank, will do Euro frame rates so I have the ability to play all frame rates, 24, 25, 30, 50, 60, and 75. Yes 75 fps... only when using PC enabled on DVI/HDMI. So I can push odd frame rates without a conversion between DVD/Blu-ray players if connected using PC analog connections or just connecting a PC to play videos.

As for connecting... I plugin the MHL / HDMI adapter to the tablet and then plug in the power adapter to the side of the MHL adapter.
Some telies will deliver 5v though the HDMI cable to power the MHL to HDMI adapter and tablet. Mine is too old and does not deliver 5v though its connection.

Hopes this helps with understanding some limitations with telies and connecting the tablet.
thx for the explanation... mine works on my lg led tv but does not work on my lg monitor and benq monitors :( ... will try on my asus monitor also to see if it works.. but so far it seems it does not work well with monitors

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
thx for the explanation... mine works on my lg led tv but does not work on my lg monitor and benq monitors :( ... will try on my asus monitor also to see if it works.. but so far it seems it does not work well with monitors

Hi, I think I mis-understood about the monitor connex... Not all monitors have full HDMI security built in. HDCP compliance may be your issue.

I suggest taking your tablet with the MHL adapter to a store to have the sales person assist with finding a monitor that will work for your needs.

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
Hi, I think I mis-understood about the monitor connex... Not all monitors have full HDMI security built in. HDCP compliance may be your issue.

I suggest taking your tablet with the MHL adapter to a store to have the sales person assist with finding a monitor that will work for your needs.
thx for the help... but firstly, i bought the adapter on ebay and secondly, I don't expect buying a monitor/tv based on whether it will work with mhl... from my understanding, it should work on all tv/monitors right? isn't is a standard hdmi output??

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
thx for the help... but firstly, i bought the adapter on ebay and secondly, I don't expect buying a monitor/tv based on whether it will work with mhl... from my understanding, it should work on all tv/monitors right? isn't is a standard hdmi output??

Yes it will work on any Monitor with HDMI.

Just TV was on the top of my head when making a quick setup.

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
it works on my old asus lcd monitor but not on my new lg led monitor... :( weird... is there a way to use a usb keyboard and mouse while using hdmi?

edit: the hdmi output resolution does not really fit the screen of my monitor.. is there a way to change resolution of the hdmi output?

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
it works on my old asus lcd monitor but not on my new lg led monitor... :( weird... is there a way to use a usb keyboard and mouse while using hdmi?

edit: the hdmi output resolution does not really fit the screen of my monitor.. is there a way to change resolution of the hdmi output?

Depending on Monitor settings, some will auto fit or allow for edge to edge adjustment.

Also if using video player, the Samsung video player does do edge to edge, while MXplayer will not through MHL. I gave up on Per App settings in Xposed, before I could ascertain that MXplayer will do edge to edge with H/W or Software decoder.

One thing with SecondScreen, it may adjust for proper scaling with Monitors, though with my TV the built in PC input scales to have a boarder to compensate for the 5% overscan most all TVs use to keep encoded signals from showing at the edges.

Not all Monitors and TVs are perfect, but I am able to use edge to edge with some adjustment with the display or using a 3rd party app such as secondscreen.

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
what is secondscreen? I can't find it on playstore ... yup when i play youtube, it plays full screen... will try to play a game.. I am glad I have been able to convert my galaxy note to an android tv! lol ... another issue though... my monitor does not have speaker ... so there's no audio atm.. the galaxy note does not seem to output audio when connected via hdmi?

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
what is secondscreen? I can't find it on playstore ... yup when i play youtube, it plays full screen... will try to play a game.. I am glad I have been able to convert my galaxy note to an android tv! lol ... another issue though... my monitor does not have speaker ... so there's no audio atm.. the galaxy note does not seem to output audio when connected via hdmi?

Well the other option is to connect your tablet to your A/V receiver and pass the video to your monitor, or to get a signal splitter that will allow audio output. Depending on the quality and performance they can run as low as $20 and up to $150 so in some ways it is best to get an A/V receiver. If your A/V receiver is limited by inputs BlueJean cable has various HDMI switchers.

I have the link to the free app a few posts above this... just read the pages back till you find it. I am running the paid version so updates may be faster and better than the freebie. I went a head and updated to 1.4.5 just to see how much of a problem it is as for workarounds with Touchwiz. I still prefer 1.4.4 as it seems smoother at transitions between on and off / off and on. May revert back and just keep the old version as it does its job very well in automatic mode.

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
I can't find the link to Secondscreen app. Will check out if i can get a cheap av recevier

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes it will work on any Monitor with HDMI.

Just TV was on the top of my head when making a quick setup.
    I can't find the link to Secondscreen app. Will check out if i can get a cheap av recevier

One note about secondscreen... it will shrink the display to have borders. Some TV / Monitors have zoom or scan adjustments to remove most of the borders.

Here is the link for the free version... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farmerbb.secondscreen.free