Ultimate Transformer PRIME TF201 Accessory Guide

Search This thread

curreyr

Dec 1, 2011
I don't think the USB car chargers you have listed are going to charge very well (if at all).
(This is assuming the prime will have the same charging parameters as the original.)

The original transformer is wanting 12v output and those are both listed are 5v output.

This NTK Bullet Charger does look promising and I'll be testing when I get the prime.

FWIW, I'm also getting this emPower Adaptor for those extra long flights ...

Reactions: joepic

joepic

Nov 28, 2011
I don't think the USB car chargers you have listed are going to charge very well (if at all).
(This is assuming the prime will have the same charging parameters as the original.)

The original transformer is wanting 12v output and those are both listed are 5v output.

This NTK Bullet Charger does look promising and I'll be testing when I get the prime.

I had your charger listed at first but changed it to the NKT 3.1A with two USB charging ports. Both for the same price. Your unit charges at 2A and mine has a 2.1A and a 1A ports. You are correct in saying that these devices will NOT charge the PRIME very fast but they will maintain a PRIME that is charged. So if you are using the GPS and other functions on the PRIME you don't need to worry about power on a long trip. If you really want to fully charge the PRIME from your car you will need to buy an inverter and use the PRIME's AC adapter.

FWIW, I'm also getting this emPower Adaptor for those extra long flights ...
Thanks for showing me a "new" item to add to my Accessory Guide. Again this item requires an adapter such as the NKT unit and a airplane that supports the laptop charger port. I am only aware of United Airlines that support this charging from a plane.

scm_crash

Feb 19, 2011
Los Angeles
These tablets are designed to be super portable. Doesn't it defeat the purpose if you're lugging along a power brick, USB converters, cases, cleaners, etc.?

I simply can't see needing so much stuff. I have an Asus G73 Laptop (which is enormous) and a USB powered 16" second monitor. The laptop is power hungry so it has a GIANT power brick. I keep a full size mouse (Logitech MX Pro), HDMI adapter, headphones and misc USB cables with it and I pack this all into my laptop case which in total weighs about 20Lbs. (maybe more)

This is my mobile workstation. I need to be able to do my job from anywhere and be able to pack it up in as small a package as possible.

But a tablet is for fun personal use. I can't see lugging around more than just the tablet itself inside a nice neoprene case. If you're going on a trip or a flight, you put the AC charger in your suitcase and make sure you have a full battery.

Maybe I'm wrong (or just annoyed with taking so much stuff around with me) but it seems something ultra portable should stay ultra portable.

curreyr

Dec 1, 2011
I agree about being "ultra portable" ...

That's the reason I posted about the car-charger (and emPower) adapters.

If you travel long distances, you do need some adapters.
Long haul flights (and even some domestics) have 3 options ...
"cigarette plug" ... the NTK bullet suffices
"120v" (usually dual for US or UK) ... the stock charger suffices
"emPower" ... the small adaptor + NTK bullet suffices

There is also a potential need for this when traveling international.

In total all of that kit is MUCH less than the equivalent for a "laptop" (ask me how I know).
Also, you can check a site like seatguru.com to know what you actually might need/want in your carry-on.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

If you really want to fully charge the PRIME from your car you will need to buy an inverter and use the PRIME's AC adapter.

Uh, the point about the 12v/2a NTK is you can fully charge from "cigarette" plug without the bulk of an inverter ...

Also, the 5v adapters won't charge (or maintain?) at all (according to this thread)

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

I am only aware of United Airlines that support this charging from a plane.

United + Contenental + Air Canada may have emPower ports (A320/757/767 typically).

And even then it's hit or miss if they actually function :(

Last edited:

Wordlywisewiz

Nov 25, 2011
Brattleboro
Why the he'll would ya need to charge it on a flight or in a car? Your gonna drive for 12hours!

And I'm gonna take it your getting the dock so 18 hours!

And battery life will probably only improve with ICS

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

curreyr

Dec 1, 2011
USA domestic, coast to coast (door to door) for me can easily be 12ish hours. (that can involve time in a rental car, layovers, etc)

Even if AC is available during a layover, it doesn't give much time for recharge.

When you consider international:
West coast to asia is also 12ish (no chance of layover recharge).
West coast to europe likely 24ish (possible layover recharges, but also need that intl plug adapter).

So, it matters to me.

With dock and watching vids ... 18hrs would suffice. I tho expect less than that for my usage (not just a vid or book).

rosco64209

Nov 25, 2011
Mini Wishlist and 1 contribution to the list...

mounts i intend to use for inside my prius (already on list)
http://www.mountguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TAB001
http://www.mountguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GN010-SBH

website im getting my double sided tape from (my 1 contribution)
its 3M VHB industrial/commercial grade ($20 for 5 yards)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3m-vhb-tape/=fe7pxm

skip to 1:10 for more info on 3M VHB tape (modern marvels episode)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OtrDvDvF5I

Reactions: Ciddy and joepic

GarJones27

Jul 7, 2007
Since I'm upset that I didn't take part in the Kickstarter program for the Mobile Mount cause I could have received one for $25, I want to give others the opportunity to pre-order one at $35 with free shipping in the US.

For those who are not familiar with the MobileMount watch the video at the top of the Kickstarter page

The instructions to pre-order are at the website here.

joepic

Nov 28, 2011
For those who are not familiar with the MobileMount watch the video at the top of the Kickstarter page

The instructions to pre-order are at the website here.

I am not sure how the suction cup would work on the Asus PRIME since the back of the device is not smooth but grooved. This grooving might prevent a suction seal to the PRIME.

xXxDieselxXx

Nov 28, 2011
Is there a good place to buy the ASUS External USB Adapter other than ExcaliperPC?

It seems to be out of stock everywhere I look.

GarJones27

Jul 7, 2007
I am not sure how the suction cup would work on the Asus PRIME since the back of the device is not smooth but grooved. This grooving might prevent a suction seal to the PRIME.

I think the back is more just a concentric circle pattern not like there are actual ridges to prevent it from tightly mounting to a suction cup. PLUS each kit comes with adhesive-backed vinyl circles to attach to your device in case they do not offer a flat enough surface to latch on to.

Top Liked Posts