[ROOTED] Rogers 911 patched Dream

Search This thread

steve1326

Stuck on "Install Recovery" step

I have tried this now a couple times, and always with the same result: Everything goes fine up to Step C.4.
But at step C.5 (where you flash the image), it gives me read errors just like the article indicated, but it does so when I try it the second time as well. And it doesn't just throw a 3 lines of errors. It throws 350 lines of errors. Some of them are read errors, some are write errors, and some of them are re-read errors. The process ultimately finishes with a "error writing recovery: No space left on device" error, and I am back at the $ prompt.

It is the same thing both times. Anybody experience similar? Any ideas? This is on a Rogers HTC Dream

ezterry

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
And it doesn't just throw a 3 lines of errors. It throws 350 lines of errors. Some of them are read errors, some are write errors, and some of them are re-read errors.
Yuck.. I assume recovery fails to boot as well?

If so we can try erasing recovery with fastboot (one of the few things the perfected spl can do)

1) Enter fastboot (boot+camera press send when prompted on screen)

2) run 'fastboot oem rebootRUU'

3) the phone will now enter ruu mode: run 'fastboot erase recovery'

4) last run 'fastboot oem boot'

When you are back in the rogers rom 'rootshell' and the recovery image ought to still exist so just pickup the process at flashing recovery.

EDIT: Note apparently fastboot erase recovery fails... fastboot erase cache works... sigh

If this fails again try running the official ruu or nbh for the rogers rom and start from the beginning.

Last edited:

steve1326

Yuck.. I assume recovery fails to boot as well?

If so we can try erasing recovery with fastboot (one of the few things the perfected spl can do)

1) Enter fastboot (boot+camera press send when prompted on screen)

2) run 'fastboot oem rebootRUU'

3) the phone will now enter ruu mode: run 'fastboot erase recovery'

4) last run 'fastboot oem boot'

When you are back in the rogers rom 'rootshell' and the recovery image ought to still exist so just pickup the process at flashing recovery.

If this fails again try running the official ruu or nbh for the rogers rom and start from the beginning.
Tried what you said, but once I got to step 3 ("fastboot erase recovery"), it errored as follows:
erasing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: not allow)
And it is true: I cannot get to recovery (although the phone does boot up normally if I let it)
I guess the next step is to try re-applying the Rogers patch and try your routine from the top

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
you want this exploit to be gone?

on my rooted phone yes please make it go away...

I want to be able to access root.. maybe I want a trusted app (currently only setCPU) to have root.. but your silly game with a rootkit hidden in it ought not be allowed into root on my phone.. worse it wont even ask me permission.

ayrokid

Jul 5, 2010
Hey,
I havent tried rooting yet but I AM VERY TEMPTED.....
@ezterry: I read about the exploit thingi but I couldnt figure out what is all this about !!

so what is this exploit thingi? Please explaing the risks and stuff...Thanks :)

tbone14

Jul 22, 2010
Noobie needs lots of help

I am trying to root the HTC Dream on an old Windows XP laptop (my primary computer is a non-Intel Apple). So, my knowledge and expertise is fairly limited. However, I can follow directions well, and have read multiple websites exploiting the Rogers 911 patched update, including the wiki page.

wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Full_Update_Guide_-_Rogers_Dream_911_Patched

I have downloaded all the files, and then moved them into the "tools" directory folder. I have also installed the necessary USB drivers, as my computer is able to view my phone as "Android Composite ADB Interface" via USB. I have also enabled USB debugging on the phone. Finally, my phone appears in the command shell as "HTXXSNHXXXXX" after typing "adb devices".

My command line is listed as:
C:\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools>

When I try to push the files via the command:
adb push spl.signed.zip /sdcard/1_33_2005_spl.zip

I get the error:
cannot stat 'spl.signed.zip': No such file or directory

Can someone help me out and point me in the right direction? I think I'm missing something simple, but I can't figure it out. I've spent a few hours and can't get past one of the first steps. :( Hopefully after getting past this, it will go much smoother....

ayrokid

Jul 5, 2010
Re:Noobie needs lots of help

I am no root expert...but try this....when u r at the C:\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools> then type "dir" without quotes. This should show you all the files you have in that directory. If you can't see the "spl-signed.zip" in there then find where that file is and put it in tools directory. If you can, then I dont knw :confused:

I hope this helps ! !

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
so what is this exploit thingi? Please explaing the risks and stuff...Thanks :)
I think you are confusing things.. the exploit is a flaw in the system that allows a regular Linux user to esculate to root without permission. This flaw exists is all roms for the HTC dream (and most if not all other android devices) so it's hardly more of a risk in a custom rom than in a outdated stock one.

Think of it this way you have a large solid steel door blocking unwanted people (non root users) from accessing your home (root) and you lock yourself out.

In the process of breaking back in you notice your back door to your house has no lock besides a hook on a already partly ripped screen door.. that you, or anyone else, can squeeze through.

The risk of pushing into the screen door to your own house and redecorating (installing a custom mod) is fairly safe.. as long as the piano doesn't fall on your head (install a radio/spl other than the one I specified via recovery) but at this point in time you can't secure that back door while redecorating (the thief can steel things from the cyan painted house just as easy as the original red one).

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Wow! That worked! I re-applied the Rogers patch (which brought the phone back to a pristine state),
Most important for all the partitions (including recovery) the ruu flashes it is the equivalent of 'fastboot erase <partition>' and 'fastboot flash <partition> <partition>.img' meaning it fully reformatted recovery for you cleaning the out of status blocks causing the issue.
and then went through your process again, which worked exactly as described. Outstanding!

glad all worked out

zoltrix

Nov 18, 2007
Tdot
Why does Section D Step 7 say the following?

Verify the following:

* HBOOT: 1.33.2005
* RADIO: 3.22.26.17

Arn't Rogers Magic's 6.X radio?

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Arn't Rogers Magic's 6.X radio?

Good thing the process is for the DREAM not the magic.. because otherwise I'd be doing something really risky installing a 1.33.* SPL with the 6.x radio..

If you want to root the magic either use the signed leaked rom with a gold card like every one else:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5526163&postcount=1

Or be a dare devil and risk the Magic (w/ 6.x radio) version of the exploid hack:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7340733&postcount=306
(In theory it will get root.. the question is did I miss something in the process having not used a rogers magic myself.

zoltrix

Nov 18, 2007
Tdot
Good thing the process is for the DREAM not the magic.. because otherwise I'd be doing something really risky installing a 1.33.* SPL with the 6.x radio..

If you want to root the magic either use the signed leaked rom with a gold card like every one else:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5526163&postcount=1

Or be a dare devil and risk the Magic (w/ 6.x radio) version of the exploid hack:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7340733&postcount=306
(In theory it will get root.. the question is did I miss something in the process having not used a rogers magic myself.

oops lol

someone linked me to it and i just assumed dream and magic were so similar that it worked. Thanks

nemesishaven

Feb 5, 2010
Toronto
I ran into the same issue as steve1326, and reapplying the Rogers Update then going through the whole process again worked for me. Now rockin' CM5.0.8. I love my phone again.

ayrokid

Jul 5, 2010
@ezterry...Thank you for the explaination :)

So when you said "theif can steal through back door"....what sort of risk do I take, I mean what data can they steal? :S Also can they access any service in my device without any/my aproval? ! I may sound like a freak I have few stuff on the phone I dont want other ppl so have...but I WANT TO ROOT SO BADLYYY lol...

Thank you again :)

XBrav

Feb 16, 2010
Calgary
@ezterry...Thank you for the explaination :)

So when you said "theif can steal through back door"....what sort of risk do I take, I mean what data can they steal? :S Also can they access any service in my device without any/my aproval? ! I may sound like a freak I have few stuff on the phone I dont want other ppl so have...but I WANT TO ROOT SO BADLYYY lol...

Thank you again :)

Ayrokid,

Basically, think of it this way:

Your phone is your house. Root is your key. If you don't have your key, you can still play with the stuff on your front lawn. If you root, no more lock on the doors! You can go in and out.

However, if someone else can enter the property, say, through a backdoor trojan app or something (none yet, but may come up in the future), they can also enter the house, and mess with your stuff.

Basically, if you give an app root access, you just invited them in, said "Have fun", and are hoping everything is still there once you leave.

So be careful which apps get superuser status.