Ouya vs The World (Comparisons and why Ouya has much competition)

Search This thread

Cynagen

Feb 20, 2006
San Jose
www.cynagen.com
I figured nobody else had started this thread already, and it'll be a great starting point for discussions of Ouya up against it's brothers-in-Androids in your market. This is NOT an Ouya bashing thread, merely a compare and contrast between the newly flooding market of miniature Android powered devices.

Now, to begin, I would like to first point out that I do own multiple Android powered devices, but none which are mentioned here in this post, so please don't cry "fanboy" as I have 0 allegiance to anything except Android. And yes, I'm kicking myself for not getting in on the Ouya kickstarter (even though I had multiple chances).

Ouya is poised to become the next big multimedia console to enter the consumer market and home, and it's got quite the uphill battle ahead of it. There's already plenty of small low-powered Android devices either announced or already released which fill one niche or another. While Ouya markets itself primarily as a game console, the fact that it runs Android means that it's got to compete with every other low-powered Android device which feasibly can accomplish everything the Ouya can. I'll expound on this further.

Ouya vs ...:

Google TV. Starting at the same price point for the VIZIO Co-Star, this device provides more than enough power in a small frame to power your perfect TV setup, providing internet access as well as local network streaming for your entertainment needs. Now, while the Google TV platform is marketed as a STB, it's still a competitor in mild/moderate gaming as well as web content accessibility. With the fact that Google TV is synonymous with "everything Google, now on your TV," Ouya's name will lend to confusion as to what it really is for the mass market in the beginning, hurting intial adoption rates outside the Android community.
Win: Google TV, brand recognition.

Raspberry Pi. Starting at a paltry $25, this little low-powered Android stock device is actually quite a surprising little power house. All manner of network appliances have been developed around this hardware, and with the drivers for most of the hardware being provided for other flavors of Linux, it's range and scope is expanding fast. While again, only techies will really know what the Pi is, it's heavily marketed (ignore the fact i'm using this term loosely) towards Android and computing enthusiasts as a replacement for all those things that are big, hot, and noisy. This little gem has already received more builds of Linux than I can count, a port of XBMC that can easily handle streaming 1080p without a sweat, it really comes down to accessibility. In the long run the Ouya is pricier, and for those just looking for a cheap XBMC device, you can't beat the Pi at $25. That and it's kawaii-small.
Win: Raspberry Pi, price point.

nVIDIA Shield. In the closest thing to apples to apples comparison of devices based on how they're marketed, we have the nVIDIA Shield, the Tegra 4 powered nVIDIA Android handheld gaming console (announced). This little gamer's wet dream is a powerhouse in your hands, and throw in the ability to play your PC games on the handheld thanks to special integration with the nVIDIA graphics processor on your PC, and you've got an almost universal system to enjoy anywhere, anytime. Again, being that it's Android, don't expect that it won't be without it's ports of XBMC and many many other wonderful pieces of software to further enhance the cost-to-value ratio of this handheld. Being that this is the closest competitor to the Ouya, it's worth noting that there are a few caveats to the Shield which bring it down. As of this writing, the "Play PC" feature is heavily Steam oriented (not a bad thing), will likely require Multi-Band Wireless N (MIMO) (not prevalent, likely have to buy one), and the biggest bullet to chew on, a whopping GeForce GTX 650 (cheapest on Newegg as of writing $110 new) in order to enjoy this device to it's fullest. While the Ouya lacks this functionality to begin with, it brings it down, but this feature feels more like a power-play by nVIDIA than something that could end up becoming mainstream.
Win: Ouya, will integrate with everything you already have provided tools and/or apps are provided to link it, no need to upgrade everything around it to make full use of it.

Mods: Sorry for the perceived dupe topic, I was at work getting calls every 15 minutes interrupting me for upwards half an hour after I started writing this just after lunch.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
It's in Florida

I myself was wondering how the similar, android-based GameStick would fair against the Ouya. It has similar characteristics and from what I have seen will be released to those who pre-ordered around the same time as those who backed the Ouya.

Although I have seen a few comments about the Ouya and GameStick as being (or not being) competitive, I would like to here what your guys' thoughts are on the topic.

GameStick was also first on kickstarter, check it out:
(Read the updates as well, there were some major ones!)
->GameStick Page<-

androkid

Nov 10, 2008
When i was doing the backing for Ouya, i wasn't really aware of Gamestick project itself. Now had a check on the video and both the guys looks same in terms of strategy and Games, even the game store !
But i assume the Ouya hardware is bit better than the Gamestick one.

I could feel only one challenge they going to face - GAMES !! and more GAMES!

But we all know - we all will end up in flashing a custom mod into this thing :) :laugh:

BasedChefJoeyB

Feb 13, 2013
Feelings about the OUYA

I just hope that the OUYA is all it has been hyped up to be. I don't want to see a box with some Allwinner A10, a gig of RAM, and a modded version of the Google Play store. I want to see a full on Android gaming console with dev support and proprietary games and add-ons. I really hope that when the OUYA gets dropped, it has a major impact on the console market.

cmdrdredd

Sep 13, 2012
I just hope that the OUYA is all it has been hyped up to be. I don't want to see a box with some Allwinner A10, a gig of RAM, and a modded version of the Google Play store. I want to see a full on Android gaming console with dev support and proprietary games and add-ons. I really hope that when the OUYA gets dropped, it has a major impact on the console market.

It doesn't have the power or support to make an impact on the realm that Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo occupy.

Raverbunny

Oct 23, 2012
Brisbane
It doesn't have the power or support to make an impact on the realm that Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo occupy.

Because obviously we all want to play call of duty 14 or whatever braindead sequel is served up on the pop machines (you know, just like pop music, no creativity and sold to the herd of sheeps)
I look forward to some real creativity in gaming which hopefully the indie dev will be able to bring to Ouya

Sent from my IceColdJelly HOX via Tapatalk 2

Cynagen

Feb 20, 2006
San Jose
www.cynagen.com
Because obviously we all want to play call of duty 14 or whatever braindead sequel is served up on the pop machines (you know, just like pop music, no creativity and sold to the herd of sheeps)
I look forward to some real creativity in gaming which hopefully the indie dev will be able to bring to Ouya

Sent from my IceColdJelly HOX via Tapatalk 2

I would love to see the Ouya find it's niche as the premier indie console, gawd knows none of the big three (M$, Sony, Nintendo) have really welcomed the indie devs. Check into the "Indie Game" movie, and you'll see what I'm saying. If Ouya welcomes the indie developers (which it sounds like they are), then they'll have plenty of backing from new blood which will eventually draw the bigger names to capitalize on a market they can make more in.

androkid

Nov 10, 2008

NVIDIA Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage, expandable via USB 2.0 port
Up to 1080p HD (via HDMI)
5.1 surround sound
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, and Ethernet port
Bluetooth
Micro USB port
Wireless Bluetooth controller with standard game controls and touchpad

the web says this..

unixon

Nov 8, 2012
Metro Detroit
I'm not impressed by the examples. Google TV is Google's take on Roku, Boxee Box, and Apple TV. Not a game console.

My Raspberry Pi, while freaking cool, is most definitely NOT a gaming console. It doesn't have the power, the games, or any of that. It's not even a computer, it's a little wonder box that I put in the middle of projects.

The Shield is pretty cool I'd say, and yes, it's a gaming console. But I keep my Nexus 4 on hand always and I like to keep my pockets lightweight and I don't need one extra gadget or pocket filled. And so I don't understand why people say Shield will have a better fate than the OUYA. In the end it's just an Android with an excellent processor and a fancy controller slapped on it. If it's more than $250 there's no way I'll buy it. I don't care about the PC game streaming. It's a completely different social segment from what I can tell. And most of you, I can guarantee, don't even have the specified graphics setup to begin with.

This is a TV console for $100. OUYAs only professional opposors at the moment: Wii Mini ($100), and gamestick.tv ($80)... I suppose Xbox 360 has a few options, but they will end up costing you at least $200 to enjoy without games from my person experience.

And maybe, a budget Xbox quite soon. But you and me both know that the Xbox "720" and/or PS4 will be very expensive, maybe $400 or so. And the Wii U is already pricey, low functionality and low on the games. And Nintendo is paying the price.

Google TV, Roku, Boxee Box, Apple TV are Streaming Boxes, which all somehow cost as much as this fully featured box. I enjoy my Roku but it can barely get Angry Birds right... Angry Birds.

Microsoft and Sonys latest consoles as well as the new Valve segment are most likely destined for the mid hundreds ($300-$550)

The Xperia Play was unfortunately DOA, and even the promising PS Vita and nVidia Shield are absolutely positively handheld systems, not TV consoles.

So we have a chance of dominating this side of the market if we can beat the experience of other $100 gadgets that hook up to your TV, feature, function, and marketing wise.

Reactions: nikals

tkolev

Sep 26, 2008
Sofia
I figured nobody else had started this thread already, and it'll be a great starting point for discussions of Ouya up against it's brothers-in-Androids in your market. This is NOT an Ouya bashing thread, merely a compare and contrast between the newly flooding market of miniature Android powered devices.

Now, to begin, I would like to first point out that I do own multiple Android powered devices, but none which are mentioned here in this post, so please don't cry "fanboy" as I have 0 allegiance to anything except Android. And yes, I'm kicking myself for not getting in on the Ouya kickstarter (even though I had multiple chances).

Ouya is poised to become the next big multimedia console to enter the consumer market and home, and it's got quite the uphill battle ahead of it. There's already plenty of small low-powered Android devices either announced or already released which fill one niche or another. While Ouya markets itself primarily as a game console, the fact that it runs Android means that it's got to compete with every other low-powered Android device which feasibly can accomplish everything the Ouya can. I'll expound on this further.

Ouya vs ...:

Google TV. Starting at the same price point for the VIZIO Co-Star, this device provides more than enough power in a small frame to power your perfect TV setup, providing internet access as well as local network streaming for your entertainment needs. Now, while the Google TV platform is marketed as a STB, it's still a competitor in mild/moderate gaming as well as web content accessibility. With the fact that Google TV is synonymous with "everything Google, now on your TV," Ouya's name will lend to confusion as to what it really is for the mass market in the beginning, hurting intial adoption rates outside the Android community.

Raspberry Pi. Starting at a paltry $25, this little low-powered Android stock device is actually quite a surprising little power house. All manner of network appliances have been developed around this hardware, and with the drivers for most of the hardware being provided for other flavors of Linux, it's range and scope is expanding fast. While again, only techies will really know what the Pi is, it's heavily marketed (ignore the fact i'm using this term loosely) towards Android and computing enthusiasts as a replacement for all those things that are big, hot, and noisy. This little gem has already received more builds of Linux than I can count, a port of XBMC that can easily handle streaming 1080p without a sweat, it really comes down to accessibility. In the long run the Ouya is pricier, and for those just looking for a cheap XBMC device, you can't beat the Pi at $25. That and it's kawaii-small.

nVIDIA Shield. In the closest thing to apples to apples comparison of devices based on how they're marketed, we have the nVIDIA Shield, the Tegra 4 powered nVIDIA Android handheld gaming console (announced). This little gamer's wet dream is a powerhouse in your hands, and throw in the ability to play your PC games on the handheld thanks to special integration with the nVIDIA graphics processor on your PC, and you've got an almost universal system to enjoy anywhere, anytime. Again, being that it's Android, don't expect that it won't be without it's ports of XBMC and many many other wonderful pieces of software to further enhance the cost-to-value ratio of this handheld. Being that this is the closest competitor to the Ouya, it's worth noting that there are a few caveats to the Shield which bring it down. As of this writing, the "Play PC" feature is heavily Steam oriented (not a bad thing), will likely require Multi-Band Wireless N (MIMO) (not prevalent, likely have to buy one), and the biggest bullet to chew on, a whopping GeForce GTX 650 (cheapest on Newegg as of writing $110 new) in order to enjoy this device to it's fullest. While the Ouya lacks this functionality to begin with, it brings it down, but this feature feels more like a power-play by nVIDIA than something that could end up becoming mainstream.
Win: Ouya, will integrate with everything you already have provided tools and/or apps are provided to link it, no need to upgrade everything around it to make full use of it.

Mods: Sorry for the perceived dupe topic, I was at work getting calls every 15 minutes interrupting me for upwards half an hour after I started writing this just after lunch.

You got it completely wrong. None of those are real competitors to the OUYA. Google TV is... hold your breath... TV. It has the ability to run games but that's neither its purpose nor its strength. Raspberry is an amazing low cost miracle. As one of the early adopters I can say that you won't spend 25$ (or whatever the price was back then) better. But comparing it to a Tegra3 device in terms of gaming is a joke, right? The SHIELD is intended for the hardcore gamers. Unlike the OUYA it can stream PC games, it's portable, has better hardware... and costs more. Those two will more likely benefit from each other than compete, because the OUYA will have the numbers and the SHIELD will have the raw power to make big developers look at Android more seriously.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Cynagen

Feb 20, 2006
San Jose
www.cynagen.com
You got it completely wrong. None of those are real competitors to the OUYA. Google TV is... hold your breath... TV. It has the ability to run games but that's neither its purpose nor its strength. Raspberry is an amazing low cost miracle. As one of the early adopters I can say that you won't spend 25$ (or whatever the price was back then) better. But comparing it to a Tegra3 device in terms of gaming is a joke, right? The SHIELD is intended for the hardcore gamers. Unlike the OUYA it can stream PC games, it's portable, has better hardware... and costs more. Those two will more likely benefit from each other than compete, because the OUYA will have the numbers and the SHIELD will have the raw power to make big developers look at Android more seriously.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

I never once said that these devices were in direct competition (only in the respect to they share Android space), just that based on what people know of each device, how they may compare them, and which ones would come out on top. Most of these devices are semi-interchange-able, but if you have simple needs (like XBMC), then there are better alternatives out there for you (in this case Pi). This was to highlight some of the strengths of Ouya's perceived competitors. The only real direct competitor is the SHIELD, which in it's own right is still a generation ahead, literally.

Last edited:

unixon

Nov 8, 2012
Metro Detroit
To be frank I just got my Pi and it's a pain in the butt, I am still periodically working on making the SD card perfect so the darn thing will boot. At the initial launch, the optimized Tegra 3 and 1GB RAM will blow the Pi's tech out of the water. And if we can push it to a second release we'll have a Tegra 4 SoC and most likely at least 2GB RAM.

I really think this OUYA project is going to benefit from Nvidias support. Let's be honest, Nvidia makes the best graphics tech in the PC market. The best. Really. They've been doing this for a very, very long time. And I think it's going to upstage the Qualcomm 800.

devnut

Dec 26, 2012
my Galaxy S3, with MHL hdmi connection, plus sixaxis bluetooth controller... bigger specs than an ouya and does exactly the same thing... no wait, it does more!

cindylove

Apr 14, 2011
my Galaxy S3, with MHL hdmi connection, plus sixaxis bluetooth controller... bigger specs than an ouya and does exactly the same thing... no wait, it does more!

So your S3 core runs with 1,7ghz and never downclock.
Because the ouya has a powersupply and don´t need to save any batterie.
Also the android on ouya is cut down to a minimum of ressources to give the game more power.
It will only be a matter of time to have ouya games which will not work on any S3 or Note2 or other devices with tegra 3 or equal.

Reactions: Jayrod1980

androkid

Nov 10, 2008

I think we better compare the respective categories based on the space they are in..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Cynagen

Feb 20, 2006
San Jose
www.cynagen.com
OOH-YAA :D :highfive: :good:

kool-aid-man-family-guy-gif-i9.gif

Anyways, back on topic! If the Pi is as "Pi"tiful as everyone is claiming, then the biggest names the Ouya will have to deal with will be the Google TV (which has huge brand recognition), and the nVidia SHIELD (again, brand recognition, and better hardware). Ouya doesn't have to topple either of these platforms, each has their niche, but can easily be extended to include the extra functionality needed. The Google TV platform may not have the powerful graphics processor to keep up with demanding games, but for artsy 2d kids games, no problem. Why buy a new system (that you likely know nothing about), when you can just extend the capabilities of your already existing Google TV installation by rooting and working with that? SHIELD is more of a direct competitor as it's seeking the gaming market that's been woefully ignored in terms of mobility, and while the Ouya will likely be a better item for the simple fact that you're going to get some good mileage out of the platform for $100, it still has to compete with brand recognition, which is overall going to hurt the Ouya. The only people really aware of the Ouya are kickstarter backers, and the Android enthusiast community. There's been plenty of press, but I've dropped the name Ouya in conversation with some of my other tech-oriented friends and gotten blank stares which tells me that there's not enough marketing going out to inform the masses of the product. Word of mouth is great, especially in tech-oriented circles, but outside of that, they're falling short. In reality, this all boils down to Ouya vs their marketing department.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ouya vs ...:

and wait... it costs 5 times more.
    I'm not impressed by the examples. Google TV is Google's take on Roku, Boxee Box, and Apple TV. Not a game console.

My Raspberry Pi, while freaking cool, is most definitely NOT a gaming console. It doesn't have the power, the games, or any of that. It's not even a computer, it's a little wonder box that I put in the middle of projects.

The Shield is pretty cool I'd say, and yes, it's a gaming console. But I keep my Nexus 4 on hand always and I like to keep my pockets lightweight and I don't need one extra gadget or pocket filled. And so I don't understand why people say Shield will have a better fate than the OUYA. In the end it's just an Android with an excellent processor and a fancy controller slapped on it. If it's more than $250 there's no way I'll buy it. I don't care about the PC game streaming. It's a completely different social segment from what I can tell. And most of you, I can guarantee, don't even have the specified graphics setup to begin with.

This is a TV console for $100. OUYAs only professional opposors at the moment: Wii Mini ($100), and gamestick.tv ($80)... I suppose Xbox 360 has a few options, but they will end up costing you at least $200 to enjoy without games from my person experience.

And maybe, a budget Xbox quite soon. But you and me both know that the Xbox "720" and/or PS4 will be very expensive, maybe $400 or so. And the Wii U is already pricey, low functionality and low on the games. And Nintendo is paying the price.

Google TV, Roku, Boxee Box, Apple TV are Streaming Boxes, which all somehow cost as much as this fully featured box. I enjoy my Roku but it can barely get Angry Birds right... Angry Birds.

Microsoft and Sonys latest consoles as well as the new Valve segment are most likely destined for the mid hundreds ($300-$550)

The Xperia Play was unfortunately DOA, and even the promising PS Vita and nVidia Shield are absolutely positively handheld systems, not TV consoles.

So we have a chance of dominating this side of the market if we can beat the experience of other $100 gadgets that hook up to your TV, feature, function, and marketing wise.

So your S3 core runs with 1,7ghz and never downclock.
    Because the ouya has a powersupply and don´t need to save any batterie.
    Also the android on ouya is cut down to a minimum of ressources to give the game more power.
    It will only be a matter of time to have ouya games which will not work on any S3 or Note2 or other devices with tegra 3 or equal.