[HOW TO] Root Atrix 2 running on Android GB(2.3.6) / ICS(4.0.4).

Search This thread

matt_12tall

Feb 29, 2012
Are you on the ICS leak already? Are you on AT&T? If you are on the ICS leak and on AT&T there is a way to root it in the leak thread in the General section. I put the files back up today.

If not, I really am not sure, one of the guys on the other leaks might be able to help there.

I am not on the ICS leak. And i am ATT. I am on 2.3.6 so do i need to sbf to 2.3.5 and then root my phone to ICS with the new method to rooting to ICS?

socialx

Apr 15, 2012
One possible reason that you can't root your Atrix 2 successfully :

If you just flash the rom , you may need to reboot your ***PC*** before you root the phone.

It's .............. strange.

A

Ashwasash

Deleted

Sent from my stock rooted Atrix2!

Last edited:

SMONDAL84

Jun 1, 2012
Kolkata
Thanks! Awesome work

Awesome work. But I had to do a factory reset after the OTA to ICS. ADB won't detect the phone otherwise - even with new drivers and countless reboots. I suggest you can add that to the standard steps after an OTA upgrade - I came across other users who faced the same thing.

Thanks,
Sayantan

A

Ashwasash

I installed the drivers and it updated the current drivers to new version. Is it okay or should i completely install again? And u didn't mention whether i should keep it in mass storage or what. And usb debugging should be on right?

Sent from my stock ics ed a2 .

Last edited:

X-jo

Jan 17, 2011
I'm on 4.0.4 stock. How do i root in linux? I dt have a windows OS.. only Linux Mint and Crunchbang

thezoolander

May 1, 2011
I keep getting an error saying adb.exe is not a recognized command blah blah...

Am I missing something simple here or what?

jm2k7

Mar 7, 2011
Black Mesa :P
Hi, I couldn't find this anywhere. The ICS root file doesn't contain an unroot.bat. How would I unroot if I wanted to?
Thanks!

I join the request, I do not see for unroot ICS :)

by the way I've done root, but comes in red, is this normal?

-rwsr-xr-x root root /system/bin/su

I correct: you have to update the binary to solve that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-11-14-35-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-11-14-35-17.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 347
  • Screenshot_2012-10-11-15-51-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-11-15-51-38.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

Waiting4MyAndroid

Jul 22, 2012
Long Beach, CA
I was rooted on 2.3.6 and after the ICS OTA I lost root but still have Superuser installed. Is it ok to re-root over existing Superuser? Also what should be the USB connection type? Mass storage? Media Device (MTP)? Camera? Charge Only does not exist on ICS anymore.

Thanks
Jude

vujkovicv

Feb 2, 2011
saint louis
I was rooted on 2.3.6 and after the ICS OTA I lost root but still have Superuser installed. Is it ok to re-root over existing Superuser? Also what should be the USB connection type? Mass storage? Media Device (MTP)? Camera? Charge Only does not exist on ICS anymore.

Thanks
Jude

I was in the same situation and I just rerooted the phone and it works fine. I had mine in media device and that seemed to do the trick.

As far as unroot goes, if it helps you have the option for temporary unroot in the su app

Reactions: Waiting4MyAndroid

W1nTry

Apr 17, 2012
Also unable to root my att on ics ota using the suggested method.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a method to root Atrix 2 running on Android GB(2.3.6) / ICS(4.0.4).

EDIT: Last updated on 26th July 2012

WHAT WORKS: Everything including the setting inside superuser which was not working in superuser 3.1

If you use this MOD, then please click on thanks button below.

I have updated this method to latest version of superuser 3.1.3 and su binary 3.1.1 for better compatibility with various Apps.

By following the below instructions you will be rooted in no time. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Features added in superuser 3.1.3:
    1.Temp unroot
    2. Ota survival
    3. Outdated binary Notification

Method:

1. Enable "USB debugging" in your phone settings

2. Download the attachment Named "Motofail Root (superuser 3.1.3, su binary 3.1.1).zip" to root Android GB(2.3.6)
    or Attachment named "ICS_root(superuser 3.1.3 and su binary 3.1.1) .zip" to root Android ICS (4.0.4).

3. Uninstall your old Motorola drivers from PC and install these new drivers.

4. Connect your phone with original USB cable that came with your phone.

5. To root Android GB(2.3.6) click on "Click-To-Root.bat" in the attachment folder or
    To root Android ICS(4.0.4) click on "Root.bat" in the attachment folder

6.Your phone will reboot 2-3 times don't remove the USB cable during this process

NOTE: If you are unable to Root even after following the above MOD then perform a Factory restore after OTA update and retry.
    Can i root the ics with this?
    And my phone is rooted,but can i re-root it?

YES
    Can i root the ics with this?
    And my phone is rooted,but can i re-root it?
    Thanks for the new update.......

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2
    Please be aware that other A2 users have had issues with Superuser versions higher than 3.0.3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium