Moving ANY app to SD on FroYo (or how to Enable all grayed out 'Move to SD' buttons)'

Search This thread

well0549

Sep 21, 2006
Voorschoten
bloggingabout.net
Well after reading the forums I found a lot op people complained about not beeing able to push an app to the SD card. And you don't have to root your phone for it. it will give you access to the 'Move to SD' button regardless if the programmer adapted his program for 2.2 yet.

With ADB you can do so very easy !, and there is no root required.

Perform the following steps :
1. Install HTC Sync (see : http://www.htc.com/ (select your device, download, and install ))
2. Install Android developers kit. (See http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-hacks/how-to-install-android-sdk-and-adb-drivers-for-htc-evo-4g/ for a detailed how to.)

Start ADB.

Use : adb shell pm setInstallLocation [option]

Where option is one of:

0 [auto] Let the system decide.
1 [internal only]
2 [external]

And you are ready to go.

Maybe you should have a read of the official documentation from google : http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/install-location.html
to understand what you are doing. And what you should not do (Like moving apps that run as a service to the SD card....)

I did this on my Phone and went to the settings and moved every app to SD. On this moment I have 70 MB free where previously i would have the ugly notification saying I needed to free up space. So this trick really seems to work.

Not everything is moved to the SD card, but about 50% to 70% of an app can be moved. The only app that left a substantial footprint on the device is Navigon. This one dropped from 20 MB to about 18 MB.

Everything is still functional and i have not noticed any negative effects so far.....

Last edited:
Reactions: HtcDesire2

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
Just an FYI, but it does appear that there are still some apps that can't be moved to SD card using this method.

Skies of Glory is one that I've found that doesn't give you the option to install to sd, regardless of what you've set the install location to be.

Regards,

Dave

well0549

Sep 21, 2006
Voorschoten
bloggingabout.net
So can you confirm what option you chose? Did you choose option 2? If so, does this set the default, so any new app you install automatically goes to the SD card?

yes I put it to 2.

This will do two things....

1. This will give you the abillity to move ANY application to SD. Not completely, but for a big part. (some files remain in phone rom).

2. Any NEW app you install will automatically install on SD.

For sure there are exceptions, and for sure there will be apps that cannot be moved. But it freed up about 80 MB on my phone, so now i have room for more apps.

Norsehawk

Jul 22, 2010
I talked to HTC today about this and they said if I do that what u told here that the 2 year-guarantee will be screwed. So thx but no thx! They also said that in future, when other app-makers will make an new app, it will be the only way to make them via FroYo and then all new ones will be able to move to SD-card. So have patiance before U screw up the guarantee.

Last edited:

dexteral

Aug 23, 2009
ill try it out tonite

hey is there any list of apps and games available online which would tell me the list of apps which support sd card save option.

i tried searching the market for "sd" "froyo" yet i dont think this shows the complete list

well0549

Sep 21, 2006
Voorschoten
bloggingabout.net
I talked to HTC today about this and they said if I do that what u told here that the 2 year-guarantee will be screwed. So thx but no thx! They also said that in future, when other app-makers will make an new app, it will be the only way to make them via FroYo and then all new ones will be able to move to SD-card. So have patiance before U screw up the guarantee.

Well i don't know who you talked to at HTC, but there is nothig illegal and it is IMPOSSIBLE to break your phone with this.

It could only void warranty if HTC could prove it was not their fault.

Since this is just a system setting invented by google and exposed by google, and documented by google, made possible thanks to HTC's own sync program, it seems very unlikely that HTC can revoke their warranty.

Before they can do such a thing they have to prove that what you did broke the phone. I doubt that they can EVER make it stick.

They also said that rooting would void warranty. But that's no longer the case either !. rooting is legal !.

Tomaco

May 8, 2010

if you want to reclaim your phone just use same command with 0 value :)

to topic : do not try to move widgets to SD card.. you will broke them

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
Well after reading the forums I found a lot op people complained about not beeing able to push an app to the SD card. And you don't have to root your phone for it. it will give you access to the 'Move to SD' button regardless if the programmer adapted his program for 2.2 yet.

The steps you have to take to make this possible :

1. Install HTC Sync (see : http://www.htc.com/ (select your device, download, and install ))
2. Install Android developers kit. (See http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-hacks/how-to-install-android-sdk-and-adb-drivers-for-htc-evo-4g/ for a detailed how to.)

Start ADB.

Where option is one of:

1 [internal only]
2 [external]

I did this on my Phone and went to the settings and moved every app to SD. On this moment I have 70 MB free where previously i would have the ugly notification saying I needed to free up space. So this trick seems to work.

Not everything is moved to the SD card, but about 50% to 70% of an app can be moved. The only app that left a substantial footprint on the device is Navigon. This one dropped from 20 MB to about 18 MB.

Everything is still functional and i have not noticed any negative effects so far.....

thaaaaaaaaaanks a million. the no memory alerts and apps to internal memory only android crap / official froyo way of apps2sd is doing my head in. time to check out how to do this now without rooting and keep my warranty.

may you win the lottery millions this week:)...... and me win the next week:p

Norsehawk

Jul 22, 2010
Well i don't know who you talked to at HTC, but there is nothig illegal and it is IMPOSSIBLE to break your phone with this.

It could only void warranty if HTC could prove it was not their fault.

Since this is just a system setting invented by google and exposed by google, and documented by google, made possible thanks to HTC's own sync program, it seems very unlikely that HTC can revoke their warranty.

Before they can do such a thing they have to prove that what you did broke the phone. I doubt that they can EVER make it stick.

They also said that rooting would void warranty. But that's no longer the case either !. rooting is legal !.

Well I have heard the other side of the coin as well. Even if I gave u a name of the person I spoked with (it was swedish support) it wouldn't give u any kind of clue at all. But he has spoken with HTC-technicians and they all said that if u root it or as much as change something in the cmd-prompt, it will be f-cked up and 2 year-warranty will be screwed. I talked with him today, maybe an hour ago and I doubt that he talked bs.

So if the day comes and u have to send ure phone for repair, I think they can see what u have done with ure phone. I'm just saying that this thing that u wrote and tell everyone, maybe u shall speak with HTC first and get their approval BEFORE u tell everyone here what to do? It's kind of risky u know..:rolleyes: I have paid 470 EUR for the phone in april, so what makes u think that I will root it or change something in cmd-prompt?

And btw, HTC did also told me that in the future all app-makers will make their apps for FroYo, wich means that in the upcomming future every app will be removable to the SD-card. Kind of stupid to rush things up, don't u think? But okay, it's ure phone do whatever u want...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

jedininja666

May 30, 2007
ChavCentral (Sutton)
Well I have heard the other side of the coin as well. Even if I gave u a name of the person I spoked with (it was swedish support) it wouldn't give u any kind of clue at all. But he has spoken with HTC-technicians and they all said that if u root it or as much as change something in the cmd-prompt, it will be f-cked up and 2 year-warranty will be screwed. I talked with him today, maybe an hour ago and I doubt that he talked bs.

So if the day comes and u have to send ure phone for repair, I think they can see what u have done with ure phone. I'm just saying that this thing that u wrote and tell everyone, maybe u shall speak with HTC first and get their approval BEFORE u tell everyone here what to do? It's kind of risky u know..:rolleyes: I have paid 470 EUR for the phone in april, so what makes u think that I will root it or change something in cmd-prompt?

And btw, HTC did also told me that in the future all app-makers will make their apps for FroYo, wich means that in the upcomming future every app will be removable to the SD-card. Kind of stupid to rush things up, don't u think? But okay, it's ure phone do whatever u want...:rolleyes:

Sorry but this is utter hogwash! As long as you haven't changed your HBOOT from what it was at the time you got your phone, and can find the ROM which takes your phone back to what it was, there is NO WAY HTC can tell you've done anything whatsoever. Apart from maybe use a SIM Unlock code (which I bought).

Norsehawk

Jul 22, 2010
Sorry but this is utter hogwash! As long as you haven't changed your HBOOT from what it was at the time you got your phone, and can find the ROM which takes your phone back to what it was, there is NO WAY HTC can tell you've done anything whatsoever. Apart from maybe use a SIM Unlock code (which I bought).

Well why don't u do that and then send ure phone for repair just for "fun"? :) Do that and then come back and write what has happend and if there is any warranty left - or not.

well0549

Sep 21, 2006
Voorschoten
bloggingabout.net
+1

The waranty is 2 year long, so I don't think that I will root it at all.

Don't know what country you are from. But I know here in holland we consumers do have rights. And I will always win if we went to court !

Furthermore i think the person you spoke with really doesn't know what he is talking about. This is not only a HTC issue but will work on any Froyo phone.... It's just part of the android OS.

If they would not allow it they could have taken it out. HTC froyo is not stock froyo. Some things are modified in the OS to make Sense behave like it does. They could have taken this out but they didn't.

Would be like toyota saying their warranty is lost if you drive with the boot open. Your statement and claims are utter NONSE.

That the person you spoke with doesn't like this setting is totally clear to me. Cause now they cannot sell that 'new phone exactly like the desire but this time with 8 GB internal memory allowing for enough apps to be installed' they were thinking of.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Perform the following steps :

Start ADB.

Where option is one of:

1 [internal only]
    2 [external]

And you are ready to go.

Maybe you should have a read of the official documentation from google : http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/install-location.html
    to understand what you are doing. And what you should not do (Like moving apps that run as a service to the SD card....)

I did this on my Phone and went to the settings and moved every app to SD. On this moment I have 70 MB free where previously i would have the ugly notification saying I needed to free up space. So this trick really seems to work.