Touchpad Toolbox Mount Media Volume FAILED

Search This thread

swackerl

Jun 6, 2014
I downloaded touchpad toolbox (TPToolbox v40) and the associated required files to update a WebOS-only (stock) touchpad to Android:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52765126&postcount=2

I did these steps after I had the files ready:
1. Booted into WebOS recovery mode (worked)
2. Ran the TPToolbox script (tptb_v40_win.bat, worked)
3. Selected "Complete Data Reset" from the TPToolbox menu (worked)
4. Selected "Install Android" from the TPToolbox menu (failed)

The first step of "Install Android" attempts to mount the media volume. The TPToolbox description says that a new media volume should show up on my PC with a folder called 'ttinstall' in it. My PC never recognizes any new media volume, so I can't copy files or continue the installation. I need help in figuring out why the media volume isn't being mounted.

If I reboot into WebOS recovery mode, the PC will recognize the device and I can re-download TPToolbox to the device again. The fact that I'm able to do this confirms that the PC and USB cable are working properly.

I didn't see any other threads where this issue was discussed. Any clues about what could be happening here? Right now I'm left with a touchpad with no webos and no android.

swackerl

Jun 6, 2014
For more debug information (if it helps):
- I was able to reflash the A6 firmware successfully (just testing if other functionality was working).
- I believe it was updated with WebOS doctor 3.05.
- I have tried rebooting and shutting down the touchpad and the problem persists.
- I have also rebooted my PC and the problem persists.
- As mentioned previously, the touchpad will get mounted when I originally connect it in WebOS recovery mode. Once I run the TPToolbox .bat script, the touchpad mount automatically goes away and touchpad toolbox starts running. At this point I'm unable to get it to mount again until I restart the touchpad in WebOS recovery mode.

swackerl

Jun 6, 2014
I tried going back to using the ACMEInstaller method, and since I did the complete data reset, some of the dependencies of ACMEInstaller3 fail:

Shrinking media partition size ...
/etc/init.d/S90partition: line 63: /webos/usr/sbin/fsck.vfat: not found
/etc/init.d/S90partition: line 70: /webos/bin/resizefat: not found
resizefat failed! Aborting! Please reboot

Looks like I'm locked into using the Touchpad Toolbox method to install now, or do I have any other options?

swackerl

Jun 6, 2014
I tried going back to using the ACMEInstaller method, and since I did the complete data reset, some of the dependencies of ACMEInstaller3 fail:

Looks like I'm locked into using the Touchpad Toolbox method to install now, or do I have any other options?

FYI, same error using ACMEInstaller5.

jcsullins

Jul 20, 2010
For more debug information (if it helps):
- I was able to reflash the A6 firmware successfully (just testing if other functionality was working).
- I believe it was updated with WebOS doctor 3.05.
- I have tried rebooting and shutting down the touchpad and the problem persists.
- I have also rebooted my PC and the problem persists.
- As mentioned previously, the touchpad will get mounted when I originally connect it in WebOS recovery mode. Once I run the TPToolbox .bat script, the touchpad mount automatically goes away and touchpad toolbox starts running. At this point I'm unable to get it to mount again until I restart the touchpad in WebOS recovery mode.

Hmm, strange, you get a shared-drive when you put it in webOS recovery mode? What files/dirs do you see on the drive?

When you get to the point (either via "Mount Media Volume" from main menu or via install process) that it gives the "Mount Media Volume"
menu (with the "Unmount Media Volume" menu e entry.... wait for a min or so to see if you get a shared drive. If not, disconnect the USB cable
for 5-10 seconds and reconnect. Wait a min or so to see if you get a shared drive...

If you don't get a shared drive in either case, does the PC make any indication that it sees a different USB device (failed or otherwise)?

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

No, not really. Other tools depend on webOS files to work.

Don't get discouraged by that, however.

If we can't get your PC to connect properly via the "Media Mount" I do have other tricks we can use if we have to do so.

swackerl

Jun 6, 2014
Hmm, strange, you get a shared-drive when you put it in webOS recovery mode? What files/dirs do you see on the drive?

When you get to the point (either via "Mount Media Volume" from main menu or via install process) that it gives the "Mount Media Volume"
menu (with the "Unmount Media Volume" menu e entry.... wait for a min or so to see if you get a shared drive. If not, disconnect the USB cable
for 5-10 seconds and reconnect. Wait a min or so to see if you get a shared drive...

If you don't get a shared drive in either case, does the PC make any indication that it sees a different USB device (failed or otherwise)?

I tried again and waited several minutes, but no mount showed up. Then I unplugged the USB for 15 seconds, then reconnected and waited 10 minutes and no mount showed up. By comparison when I reboot into WebOS recovery mode, the USB connection is acknowledged within 1-2 seconds.

When I previously said
the touchpad will get mounted when I originally connect it in WebOS recovery mode
, I used the wrong term. Instead of using the term "mounted" I should have said that the USB connection is acknowledged and the device is acknowledged by Windows 7 (how it plays a notification sound and pops up a notification that says a device has connected via USB).

After I start Touchpad Toolbox, another notification occurs in Windows 7 to indicate that the device is no longer connected via USB. The USB connection is good, because it's what's sending the signal to the touchpad to start Touchpad Toolbox. Should the disconnect be happening? After this point, Windows 7 never gets another notification that says the USB connection has been re-established.

jcsullins

Jul 20, 2010
I tried again and waited several minutes, but no mount showed up. Then I unplugged the USB for 15 seconds, then reconnected and waited 10 minutes and no mount showed up. By comparison when I reboot into WebOS recovery mode, the USB connection is acknowledged within 1-2 seconds.

When I previously said , I used the wrong term. Instead of using the term "mounted" I should have said that the USB connection is acknowledged and the device is acknowledged by Windows 7 (how it plays a notification sound and pops up a notification that says a device has connected via USB).

After I start Touchpad Toolbox, another notification occurs in Windows 7 to indicate that the device is no longer connected via USB. The USB connection is good, because it's what's sending the signal to the touchpad to start Touchpad Toolbox. Should the disconnect be happening? After this point, Windows 7 never gets another notification that says the USB connection has been re-established.

Yes, it should disconnect when TPToolbox starts ... then reconnect as a different type USB endpoint.

And do another disconnect/reconnect when it's supposed to give the "Mount Media".

Hopefully, the TPToolbox kernel log will provide some useful information. Here's how to get that.

1) Load TPToolbox as before and select "Mount Media"
2) Wait a minute, then select "Umount Media"
3) Select "Reboot" and start holding the VolumeUP button and hold it until you see the big USB symbol (i.e. webOS recovery)
NOTE: It's important that you go straight to the USB symbol in this way (i.e. not select webOS recovery from moboot)
If it doesn't go straight to webOS recovery (i.e. you get moboot menu or it boots to something else), you will go back to step 1.
4) Download http://goo.im/devs/jcsullins/cmtouchpad/tptoolbox/palmenv.bat
NOTE: Don't include the quotes ("") surrounding the commands to be run below.
5) Open a "Command Prompt" and then run "cd Downloads" (I.e. I'm assuming you saved palmenv.bat to Downloads above)
6) Run "palmenv"
7) Now run "novacom -t open tty:// > klog.txt"
8) At this point, it should appear that that command is still running (no new command prompt appears)
9) Now type "klog last" (w/o the quotes, enter afterwards)
10) Then wait 30 seconds and the type "poweroff" (w/o the quotes, enter afterwards)

Here's what it looked like in my command-prompt window:
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\jc>cd Downloads

C:\Users\jc\Downloads>palmenv
Setting Novacom path ...

C:\Users\jc\Downloads>novacom -t open tty:// > klog.txt
klog last
poweroff

Sat Jun 07 17:21:35 2014
 novacomd socket was closed prematurely
novacom: unexpected EOF from server

C:\Users\jc\Downloads>

You should now have a file called klog.txt in your Downloads dir (or where you ran the above commands).

Upload that file somewhere and provide link here.

Last edited:

Michigan3002

Jun 6, 2014
Klog link

I did this, see if the klog helps.
the url is dropbox.com forward slash then s/8cd53d3rthbtcvc/klog.txt

swackerl

Jun 6, 2014
Yes, it should disconnect when TPToolbox starts ... then reconnect as a different type USB endpoint.

And do another disconnect/reconnect when it's supposed to give the "Mount Media".

Hopefully, the TPToolbox kernel log will provide some useful information. Here's how to get that.

1) Load TPToolbox as before and select "Mount Media"
2) Wait a minute, then select "Umount Media"
3) Select "Reboot" and start holding the VolumeUP button and hold it until you see the big USB symbol (i.e. webOS recovery)
NOTE: It's important that you go straight to the USB symbol in this way (i.e. not select webOS recovery from moboot)
If it doesn't go straight to webOS recovery (i.e. you get moboot menu or it boots to something else), you will go back to step 1.
4) Download http://goo.im/devs/jcsullins/cmtouchpad/tptoolbox/palmenv.bat
NOTE: Don't include the quotes ("") surrounding the commands to be run below.
5) Open a "Command Prompt" and then run "cd Downloads" (I.e. I'm assuming you saved palmenv.bat to Downloads above)
6) Run "palmenv"
7) Now run "novacom -t open tty:// > klog.txt"
8) At this point, it should appear that that command is still running (no new command prompt appears)
9) Now type "klog last" (w/o the quotes, enter afterwards)
10) Then wait 30 seconds and the type "poweroff" (w/o the quotes, enter afterwards)

You should now have a file called klog.txt in your Downloads dir (or where you ran the above commands).

Upload that file somewhere and provide link here.

I uploaded the klog.txt file as an attachment to this post. Please let me know if you're unable to read it. Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• klog.txt
    29.1 KB · Views: 270

jcsullins

Jul 20, 2010

Based on that log, I think the problem is the USB cable you are using.

It thinks you are using a USB OTG (On-The-Go) cable. They are used when you want to connect a "client" device (i.e. keyboard, mouse, USB drive, etc.) to the Touchpad (on the Touchpad you also need a "Y" cable or powered hub too, but that doesn't matter here).

So why does it work loading TPToolbox via the bootloader, you ask? I think the bootloader is too "dumb" and doesn't know about the special pin that OTG cables have that enables the "host" mode. So, in effect, it just gets ignored by the bootloader and stays in "client" mode. The kernel used by TPToolbox has much more functionality, though, and sees that extra pin that OTG cables have.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

I uploaded the klog.txt file as an attachment to this post. Please let me know if you're unable to read it. Thanks for all the help!

Based on your log, you have the same issue as above -- it thinks you have a USB OTG cable instead of a normal USB cable.

Reactions: RolandDeschain79

swackerl

Jun 6, 2014

It thinks you are using a USB OTG (On-The-Go) cable. They are used when you want to connect a "client" device (i.e. keyboard, mouse, USB drive, etc.) to the Touchpad (on the Touchpad you also need a "Y" cable or powered hub too, but that doesn't matter here).

So why does it work loading TPToolbox via the bootloader, you ask? I think the bootloader is too "dumb" and doesn't know about the special pin that OTG cables have that enables the "host" mode. So, in effect, it just gets ignored by the bootloader and stays in "client" mode. The kernel used by TPToolbox has much more functionality, though, and sees that extra pin that OTG cables have.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Based on your log, you have the same issue as above -- it thinks you have a USB OTG cable instead of a normal USB cable.

Excellent, I didn't notice it but after you said that I looked at the USB cable and it was one from LG, rather than HP. Luckily I had another HP Touchpad with the OEM USB cable. I swapped out the LG USB cable with the HP OEM USB cable and it worked as expected. Thanks jcsullins!

coleraine

May 2, 2013
Touchpad toolbox no recovery file found, aborting

I am new to this,I am running Touchpad toolbox,and did a complete reset then Install Android the touchpad folder opens on the PC i then copied over the following 3 .zip files

recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.7-tenderloin.zip
gapps-kk-20140105.zip
cm-11-20140609-UNOFFICIAL-tenderloin.zip

then eject touchpad from pc and unmount.

I just keep getting the error NO RECOVERY FILE FOUND, ABORTING
Could someone help please,I don't know what to do.

Thanks...

swackerl

Jun 6, 2014
I am new to this,I am running Touchpad toolbox,and did a complete reset then Install Android the touchpad folder opens on the PC i then copied over the following 3 .zip files

recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.7-tenderloin.zip
gapps-kk-20140105.zip
cm-11-20140609-UNOFFICIAL-tenderloin.zip

then eject touchpad from pc and unmount.

I just keep getting the error NO RECOVERY FILE FOUND, ABORTING
Could someone help please,I don't know what to do.

Thanks...

I don't think that the file "recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.7-tenderloin.zip" is a supported recovery file. You can see the list of supported recovery files (CWM, Philz-CWM, TWRP) at the Touchpad Toolbox thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2756314

cpufox

Jun 17, 2014
media volume mounts, able to copy to ttinstall, but also cannot continue

I downloaded touchpad toolbox (TPToolbox v40) and the associated required files to update a WebOS-only (stock) touchpad to Android:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52765126&postcount=2

I did these steps after I had the files ready:
1. Booted into WebOS recovery mode (worked)
2. Ran the TPToolbox script (tptb_v40_win.bat, worked)
3. Selected "Complete Data Reset" from the TPToolbox menu (worked)
4. Selected "Install Android" from the TPToolbox menu (failed)

The first step of "Install Android" attempts to mount the media volume. The TPToolbox description says that a new media volume should show up on my PC with a folder called 'ttinstall' in it. My PC never recognizes any new media volume, so I can't copy files or continue the installation. I need help in figuring out why the media volume isn't being mounted.

If I reboot into WebOS recovery mode, the PC will recognize the device and I can re-download TPToolbox to the device again. The fact that I'm able to do this confirms that the PC and USB cable are working properly.

I didn't see any other threads where this issue was discussed. Any clues about what could be happening here? Right now I'm left with a touchpad with no webos and no android.

I always see the "HP Touchpad" device mount as drive letter under Windows 7 64-bit (using Universal Novacom driver)
and am able to copy files, so I am a step ahead, but cannot continue

THIS WAS A BAD USB CABLE FOR ME ALSO - It appears to work fine for TPToolbox load,
but that is deceptive, the zip files copied are never valid!! Once I switch to new mini-usb it was fine....

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2777744

SOLVED BY ABOVE THREAD http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2774779&page=2
which was excellent effort in the debugging process ...Where do these other cables come from?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2774779&page=2

Last edited:

drjad

Aug 8, 2014
Tptoolbox not loading

My problem is I can load tptoolbox. I've tried multiple times. Windows 7 64bit HP All-in-One Touchpad. Help! I also loaded novacom which appears in the Palm Folder, but pc doesn't recognize touchpad when plugged in to USB.:confused:

venky.e27

Aug 20, 2014
no supported recovery file found

Hi,

I followed the below link to install the new android version and after the data has been erased I got a message on my Touch pad as "no supported recovery file found". I'm attaching the klog file. Could someone help me here?

liliputing.com/2014/06/use-touchpad-toolbox-install-android-erase-webos-hp-touchpad.html?preview=true

Attachments

• klog.txt
    46.5 KB · Views: 37

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.