Thoughts on time spend with a sample Galaxy Note

Search This thread

faaborgs

Mar 5, 2006
Hi,

I had a chance to spend some time with a sample version of the Samsung Galaxy Note. Since it was a sample I can not comment to much about that part, but I did write down my thoughts on the hardware and using a 5.3" unit as a phone.

If you feel like reading a bit about it you will find it on my blog, ftechviews.blogspot.com

/Faaborg

Reactions: renegade027

alexcarterkarsus

Jun 14, 2010
Thanks for sharing us, I especially like the part you explained about the UI being scaled up to fit the higher resolution screen :)
Though now I wonder, does the bigger screen and higher resolution really bring about any "real"and tangible result, for example, when you open the browser, can you see the letters clearly without zooming in? Also, I wonder if the stylus would fall out easily... thanks a lot

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

straxusii

May 8, 2011
Thanks for sharing that, I'm about to buy either a note or nexus, I really want the biggest screen possible yet still be able to carry it around in a pocket like a phone. You have convinced me the note will be ok :)

faaborgs

Mar 5, 2006
The browser is one one of the few places where the high resolution is put to good use. You can see most of a webpage, but the font is really small. Its readable but hard to read. Zoom ones or turn the phone in to landscape helps.
On the sample I had the stylus was almost impossible to get out, so no I would not say that it falls out easily.

Owers

Mar 24, 2009
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience! I've been eager to hear about how this device will perform, so news like this is appreciated.

You've already answered one question about the stylus, but how is it secured specifically? Is it magnetic or simply held by plastic? Also, how was the battery life? That's perhaps one of my major concerns so far, and I assume you've had enough time to get a basic impression.

faaborgs

Mar 5, 2006
The stylus is not magnetic, but is locked in bu the plastic around it. Battery life was good for such a big device. I could easily use it for an entire work day, including travel time.

ankydu

May 16, 2010
Could you also test the audio quality via headphones out. was it excellent, very good, good, average or bad. How was it compared to the best mobile phone player u ve ever heard.

faaborgs

Mar 5, 2006
Regarding audio I primary used it for audio books. The quality is good, and the output volume it better than average. Its not the best I heard, nor is it the worst.

ankydu

May 16, 2010
Regarding audio I primary used it for audio books. The quality is good, and the output volume it better than average. Its not the best I heard, nor is it the worst.
then that means probably it uses the same crappy audio DAC as the galaxy s2. thats very sad !

Sent from my GT-I5801 using XDA App

wonsanim

Jan 25, 2007
Hi,

I had a chance to spend some time with a sample version of the Samsung Galaxy Note. Since it was a sample I can not comment to much about that part, but I did write down my thoughts on the hardware and using a 5.3" unit as a phone.

If you feel like reading a bit about it you will find it on my blog, ftechviews.blogspot.com

/Faaborg

Thanks I planning to buy a New device but you really help me to make a better decision.

mddsd

Jan 28, 2008
Gothenburg
Faaborg, did you have any chance to test the videoplayback on the device?
I read somewhere that playing MKV in 720p on the device showed some lagg, which is very dissapointing if it's true...

faaborgs

Mar 5, 2006
For some strange reason, what I can't explain, I did not get around to testing video playback. Sorry.

kunalparwani

May 27, 2011
Did you see any lag while using the stylus? And was navigating through the homescreens etc. as snappy as the S II ?

faaborgs

Mar 5, 2006
There was a little lag when using the stylus, the experience was very much like the same as the HTC Flyer. All UI navigation was super quick and the same goes for installed apps and the browser.

nerve101

Jul 8, 2011
philly
I was thinking about getting the note, since i want a tablet and want to change my phone. Though they have not yet told anyone what market they are putting it to.
I wish they could say which carrier it would work with in USA.

The size is perfect, its thin and has a what seems to be a great pen to use.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

/Faaborg