[Q] Baseband ReFlashing? Jul 15 for the G2X

Search This thread

XMarinE

Feb 12, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
LG V60 ThinQ
Is it possible or damaging to reflash the baseband on the G2x. Its the Jul 15 baseband. I don't want to risk the possibility of bricking the phone especially since I have one from T-Mobile on the way. I would like opinions on if I reflash the baseband will it fix the invalid sim issue? I am knowledgable as to flashing the phones and ROM's ect. I have flashed BIOS's and hotswapped a few for PC's so I do know the dangers. Only I want to know if it's worth trying to fix this issue or not? Opinions please! Thanks!:)

GTWalling

Aug 6, 2011
Birmingham
Is it possible or damaging to reflash the baseband on the G2x. Its the Jul 15 baseband. I don't want to risk the possibility of bricking the phone especially since I have one from T-Mobile on the way. I would like opinions on if I reflash the baseband will it fix the invalid sim issue? I am knowledgable as to flashing the phones and ROM's ect. I have flashed BIOS's and hotswapped a few for PC's so I do know the dangers. Only I want to know if it's worth trying to fix this issue or not? Opinions please! Thanks!:)

Just flashing a rom will not touch the baseband. There is not a flashable baseband for the G2x. There is a process to install the complete GB with baseband, but you would need a Windows XP computer. It will not work with Windows 7. Read the following link.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1180331

XMarinE

Feb 12, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
LG V60 ThinQ
Well I did the flash properly and successful and no luck on the dropped carrier or invalid sim card ? I tried the flash twice..I give up! Hopefully the replacement will work flawless without issues? I still might be in the market for a different cellphone if these issues continue with t-mobile. With that being said, I will wait till Thursday of next week for delivery of the G2x from my carrier. Thanks to all who answered my questions it true to help.

sent from my HTC Inspire 4G Straight Talk Plan to XDA Developers

Last edited:

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
Are you using the GetRIL app? It will tell you for sure if your RIL and baseband match, and give you the option to download & flash a new RIL.

If your baseband and RIL do not match, your phone's radio will not work efficiently.

I highly recommend installing the GetRIL app. Once I flashed the proper RIL I got better battery life and not one dropped call - ever!

XMarinE

Feb 12, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
LG V60 ThinQ
Yes I used GetRIL but it needed superuser permission in order to work. I thought it only worked in ROMS? I just loaded it and in the stock it says baseband doesn't match, but not sure if invalid sim error is causing it or because it's not rooted? I will post a screenshot.

4b76ca34-b898-2f4d.jpg

sent from my LGP999 G2X to XDA Developers

Last edited:

prettyboy85712

Jun 28, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Yes I used GetRIL but it needed superuser permission in order to work. I thought it only worked in ROMS? I just loaded it and in the stock it says baseband doesn't match, but not sure if invalid sim error is causing it or because it's not rooted? I will post a screenshot.

4b76ca34-b898-2f4d.jpg

sent from my LGP999 G2X to XDA Developers

Can you provide a screen capture of the About Phone screen on your phone which shows your bandbase?

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
If you have the July 15th baseband and your RIL is v21e, then you have a match. Don't worry.

XMarinE

Feb 12, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
LG V60 ThinQ
I do have the July 15th Baseband and the V21e RIL..but still invalid sim card shows..I think (know) the phone is hosed. I have the replacement from T-Mobile due today, and is expected anytime. Tracking says out for delivery...woo hoo..! I still might play with this old one until I have to return it before 7 days.

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
I do have the July 15th Baseband and the V21e RIL..but still invalid sim card shows..I think (know) the phone is hosed. I have the replacement from T-Mobile due today, and is expected anytime. Tracking says out for delivery...woo hoo..! I still might play with this old one until I have to return it before 7 days.

The phone will show invalid sim if the sim cannot be registered on the network. Are you sure it is a valid sim with a current account? Also dial *#*#4636#*#*, go to Phone Information and on that screen scroll down and see what the network preference is set to. If this is set wrong it can cause the sim to not be able to log into a network.

Also, get three screenshots of that info screen (take one scroll down, take another, scroll down and take the third). Post them (obscuring IMEI if you want) so we can see what the phone is doing. This info could help figure out what is wrong.

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto

Do what jboxer recommends, if the wrong radio band and network protocol is selected the phone won't connect. WCDMA AWS is the one.

Kolcrok78

Jan 10, 2012
Jamaica, NY
me too.. same exact problem.. if you figure this out plz let me know.. ill be sure to do the same

I'm sorry to give you the bad news, but there is currently no way to flash baseband into the G2x without using the kdz flash if you haven't tried it. This LG tool sucks and is unreliable. If you lost baseband there is no way the kdz flash will work. My advice, just call T-Mobile for the replacement if it's still under warranty. If it is they charge you 20 bucks. Another tip, get rid of the phone if you have the money. This phone sucks and my experience with it had been bad. I'll never use another LG phone again.

Blazing angel

Oct 15, 2011
What does this exactly do for the RIL. I used to program with CM7 nightly 218, and i changed the ril to V21E. Is that safe? (for CM7). I have the July baseband

Thanks in advance

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Been having this same issue. Not sure whats up, Tried getril, flashed all versions, but still, it doesnt connect to a tower. Even bought an unlock code, pop in att and it doesnt even try to connect. Was thinking to reflash too. Already have CWM on it. So not sure how to goto the software update mode from that.. since phone boots up on the new rom etc.

IRASadPanda

Dec 30, 2011
Johns Creek
Been having this same issue. Not sure whats up, Tried getril, flashed all versions, but still, it doesnt connect to a tower. Even bought an unlock code, pop in att and it doesnt even try to connect. Was thinking to reflash too. Already have CWM on it. So not sure how to goto the software update mode from that.. since phone boots up on the new rom etc.

To go to the default SW update screen I think it's Volume up and power.

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Up and Power didnt do anything. Any other ideas? Now to get to that sw update screen, does battery have to be out or in? (I tried it without but didnt have luck either) just just wondering.

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Well I reflashed the stock recovery which gets me to that sw screen, but still claims phone could not be detected. Which is stupid. Trying to flash the stock rom now, but driver install.. seems to take forever..

Sigh *Pets HTC phones* You never give me a hard time.