The OUYA console... is it doomed? Inquiring minds want to know...

Do you plan to purchase a OUYA gaming console?

• Yes.

Votes: 213 47.9%
  • No.

Votes: 107 24.0%
  • Haven't decided.

Votes: 125 28.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

petedaddi

Aug 11, 2011
Leeds
For the price I will be getting one. Just hope it isn't delayed for months in the UK. Anyone know where I can pre order one in the UK.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

tobalaz

Jul 17, 2012
Norton
Ouya is going to fail. Simple as that.

Depends on your definition of failure.
Grant it Ouya is a nitch market, but i think the kickstarter results show there was a high enough interest.
Two things will make or break Ouya, versatility and independent support. The more it can do the broader the appeal and the more support the more it can do.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda premium

I believe they should come up with an OUYA app so that all Android devices can have access to all the games. This way you can begin a game in front of your TV then leave your home and continue on your mobile device.

this may be possible already. It will depend on the developers. We've seen with some games like Dead Trigger. It lets you save your progress on their servers and restore from them. This can be done on multiple devices.

I'm more looking forward to the day where something like OnLive can let us play games on out consoles and continue on the mobile devices. Basically turning our console or mobile devices into thin clients.

ladynaamah

May 20, 2010
The worst thing they have done is, that they decided to use Android as OS... Android is simply not designed as serious firmware for console... If they mean it seriously, they should have looked on (albeit proprietary) existing solutions, such as PSP (i'll compare to PSP because i've never actually owned PS3 or Xbox or whatever console you want...) the game itself is not run from firmware, the console actually reboots (or nearly reboots, flushing whole memory for the game) and then the XMB actually boots the game (if [whatever security mechanism] allows it to do so) games are OS on itself... it can just make few platform-specific API calls (such as pressing home button, volume buttons etc.) but it's solely independent on the system... you can actually boot game from custom recovery without launching the XMB... I can't imagine how can such mechanism be performed on even heavily modified Android...

lordhardware

Apr 15, 2010
Melbourne
The worst thing they have done is, that they decided to use Android as OS... Android is simply not designed as serious firmware for console... If they mean it seriously, they should have looked on (albeit proprietary) existing solutions, such as PSP (i'll compare to PSP because i've never actually owned PS3 or Xbox or whatever console you want...) the game itself is not run from firmware, the console actually reboots (or nearly reboots, flushing whole memory for the game) and then the XMB actually boots the game (if [whatever security mechanism] allows it to do so) games are OS on itself... it can just make few platform-specific API calls (such as pressing home button, volume buttons etc.) but it's solely independent on the system... you can actually boot game from custom recovery without launching the XMB... I can't imagine how can such mechanism be performed on even heavily modified Android...

What you said is not accurate at all. The only limitation android has as an os is that it's been built on Java.

cdt710

Dec 12, 2012
West Point
confused

I have been following this console since the kickstarter campaign and I am still confused as to what exactly it is lol. I understand the whole concept of an open source console but what market is this supposed to compete with? I already see two different console markets, with the PS3 and Xbox 360 together, then the Wii variants below that...is the Ouya going to compete with the Wii or is this now going to be a third market?

Jan 26, 2011
bandung
I see this as an alternative approach in gaming console that budget friendly and versatile since the massive amount of (mini) games in android playstore. Though wont be as successful as the ps, xbox or even nintendo.

... I am ... confused as to what exactly it is ... [and] what market is this supposed to compete with? ....

To put it in is the simplest terms, for consumers, this product is more a bridge between mobile games and home consoles (including PC). For developers, the idea is a significantly lower, in terms of financial costs, entry point into the game market.

The being an open console is more for developers because they won't necessarily have to buy expensive developer kits to make games. It may be possible they may not even need one; although this would make it more difficult. Consumers may be able to benefit such as being able to upgrade hardware, and run other custom software.

Beyond that, it become rhetoric to what everything fits in. In my opinion, I think it's more a "other" console and possible the "third" in a household. I think there is a market for something like the Ouya.

Luckily, less than a month to go before people get their hands on one and the rubber meets the road.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I think like all systems, it depends on the games, regardless of system price. If good game buzz and user interface experience, it should sell well, especially then- due to the price.

I am still a tad skeptical a Tegra 3 two years into its life at that point is a good chip to start with, but they can run it full speed and not dwell on heat or battery issues. Still seems that we will see a refresh of this sooner than later with a Tegra 4 or another chip with more ability (than the Tegra 3). Tegra 4 may be later than expected and Nvidia are likely going to hog capacity for their Shield launch. That device seems way riskier due to its likely $400-ish expected price.

In defense of the OUYA, the Tegra 3 is probably the best fit for price point, in spite of the chip's age.

Last edited:

cdt710

Dec 12, 2012
West Point
To put it in is the simplest terms, for consumers, this product is more a bridge between mobile games and home consoles (including PC). For developers, the idea is a significantly lower, in terms of financial costs, entry point into the game market.

The being an open console is more for developers because they won't necessarily have to buy expensive developer kits to make games. It may be possible they may not even need one; although this would make it more difficult. Consumers may be able to benefit such as being able to upgrade hardware, and run other custom software.

Beyond that, it become rhetoric to what everything fits in. In my opinion, I think it's more a "other" console and possible the "third" in a household. I think there is a market for something like the Ouya.

This makes sense....I hadn't thought of it that way. I was really confused as to how this was going to be a serious contender in the gaming industry but it would appear that is not what they are going for. I can see this filling/competing in the market for things like the "retro" atari units that have all the atari games built in. I agree that it would definitely be a second or third console though, not replacing the 'heavy hitters'.

philfrommancs

Aug 28, 2008
I think a lot of the people deriding the Ouya and dooming it to fail are missing the point !!!
Most of us on XDA like to tweak our phones. .. Flash the latest Roms etc... . So I, for example, have just ordered a Minix Neo x5. I will tweak the hell out of it... I will Flash and root it the day I get it. . I will be using it to play emulated games, android games, XBMC, Media streaming, Skype etc etc. How many of our friends do all that on their phones. .. I don't know anyone who tinkers as much as I do !!!
The Ouya isn't really aimed at us. .. its aimed at the smartphone generation who aren't technically savvy. The people who keep their phones as the manufacturer sent them out. .
They will love a games box that is plug and play. .. will play a lot of the games they play on their phones. .. That are free or cost next to nothing, rather than £30 a pop ! Will play streaming movies etc . Social network, Web browse.
We are in a minority. ..
I think they've got a good chance of finding a niche market with the right promotion. .. And if it really can be upgraded each year then I think people are underestimating it's potential as a game changer.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Well, the bright side is this device should not have the infamously long delay to market that Pandora had. It was doomed as a result. Noble intent marred by the reality of getting a product to market on a mass scale. In Pandora's case, not even really mass scale, since not a lot of folks bought it.

My concern is how this model makes money. Surely the total cost for this product to market is a per unit loss, so they are hoping people use their own market for revenue. Rubes like me though like getting their apps form the Google market so works on all(most) devices. Heck, I rarely get stuff from Amazon or Slideme, since prefer the stock market and those apps work on all devices.

I wish these folks the best, but think there might be enough people that think like me that could hurt the apparent business model of the device. Simply put, I will probably not buy apps that only work on one Android device. I do not even buy Tegra exclusive apps for my TF300 or Excite, since will not work on my GS3.

Last edited:
I think the above makes excellent points about the bridge between mobile device and consoles because most people don't root/jailbreak their devices.

Given the costs, I suspect that they're not really going to sell at loss. Maybe some of the units sold through Kickstarter. Although, I suspect they're only marketing a small margin on the units. Nintendo has shown it's possible to sell hardware at a profit with the Wii. I think the idea is to do like other market places online where they take some percentage, say thirty, on all sales. And they've said they want some kind of free to try model, which is to entice people to buy more games.

Like others have said, a lot will depend on the games. It'll take some time, but if the units sell, the developers will come, which increases the chances of getting good games.

On a side, I understand about buying games from Google Play over other markets stores on Android. Although, I do like Amazon to a limited degree. Some games are exclusive to it. I tend to use it for the free app of the day. It's a nice way to try out some premium apps without having to pay. If I like, then I'll buy it later on Google Play; I've read the free app of the day on Amazon, the developers don't get anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've already got a Viewsonic G Tablet set up upstairs as a media center with HBO Go and Netflix, I dump 720p movies on the microsd card and have all my NES, SNES, Master System and Genesis games on there.
    I love it.
    Problem is I hate moving the dock and cables every time I want to put it downstairs for the kids to play games or watch movies.
    I paid $350 total for my Gtab, dock and a Bluetooth game controller.
    A Roku box that only does video streaming is $100.
    Ouya is $99 and ships with a controller and is MEANT to connect to a tv!
    Hell yeah I'm getting one!
    I can leave my tablet upstairs, leave the little cube tucked away, and enjoy my movies, shows and games two different places without the fuss.

Look, I've got a pretty beefy PC I play my big boy games on like Borderlands 2 and Skyrim, and all the nieces and nephews don't care is its Super Mario World, NBA Jam, or the latest greatest console games, and honestly I prefer retro gaming most of the time myself anyways. I can't help it, I grew up on Atari, Intellivision, Nintendo and Sega. Nostalgia is a very powerful thing.
    Graphics on mobile devices happen to be moving along fast, I've seen some Square RPGs and a few sports games that look on par to the PS2.
    Look, it's all fun and games anyways.
    If you like the concept, buy one, if you don't care for it, avoid it.
    I think best case scenario they can hope for is becoming a niche platform for android-nerds. Why? Because there is no market for such device. Casual gamers are quite happy with what they get from smartphone industry and PC-facebook-gaming stuff. More hard-core gamers will want bleeding-edge graphics and high-end performance. Without any real GPU on board OUYA will just stay behind. From the software standpoint, Android is a great system but, with sandboxing and multitasking environment, it is not very well prepared for running performance-demanding games.

But still.. I think I will buy it.
    It seems interesting and I do want to have one but I kinda want to see what games it gets first before buying, if it doesn't have anything that'll interest me then it would be a waste.
    First, I was an earlier KS backer.

Those who have order one by now, release this is not meant necessarily to complete with an Xbox or Playstation. They're going after a slightly different gaming market.

The problem I see with Ouya is that it can be a bit of redundant machine. What does it do that can't be done with a decent smartphone? You may need a rooted phone, but one can hook up a controller, connect to a TV. It's more the mobile game developers adding in controller support. That said, talk about annoying trying up your phone to play games. Having to hook up the phone to the TV every time.

But I think it could be a nice entry point for small game developers to get into the livingroom. New developers to try to get into the market without going broke or closing the doors if a game fails. Allow gamer to fiddle with their consoles.

On the positive side, if the Wii can find success, maybe there is a room for something like the Ouya too. The Wii showed, if it's fun to play, a cheap machine can make it.

---------- Post added at 04:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 AM ----------

Plus with announcement it's going to be sold a Target, Bestbuy, Amazon and a few other stores, will help with getting numbers sold, which can help bring some of the bigger game developers to the platform.
    I have my Ouya, my intentions were not just to have an little gaming console but something that is an Mutlimedia Console. I know a lot of people who aren't getting it for the gaming but because of it's small form factor, hdmi out, usb(usb hubs do work to expand, I've tested with USB storage, keyboard, mouse, SNES usb controller, all worked on 1 hub expansion), ethernet, built in wifi/bluetooth, you can do basically what most tablets/phones do but tie that into a home-user experience.

I wanted to be able to watch my collection of movies and TV shows over DLNA or UPNP. (Tested with XBMC, works good, need to do the DTS ffmpeg custom audio codec setup with XMBC)

I wanted to be able to play classic SNES, NES, Sega, N64 games on a big TV. (Already have 800+ SNES, 2k+ Nes, 100+ N64, 500+ Sega. Only SNES has been tested to work great with SNES9X emu)

I want to watch YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll on this thing too, but some of those apps have been said they were making Ouya verisons. (Netflix and Crunchyroll work with just plain sideloading, not optimized for TV tho, like UI wise, videos look fine tho. YouTube needs google service framework to work and I can't get it working correctly. I'm an novice when it comes to identifying logcat error.)

If you guys haven't noticed, this forum is pretty dead or very low discussion about games and other development, but at http://ouyaforum.com/forum.php , there are some pretty amazing games people are making and much more discussion about the console. I think XDA won't play an factor until we can secure an safe flash recovery(soonish) and we need kernel source to be able to make more customized ROMS.