FORUMS

TaskViewer for WP7

1,224 posts
Thanks Meter: 548

By Jaxbot, Inactive Recognized Developer on 14th May 2011, 04:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all
No, it's not a task switcher (still working on that one ) but here's a little something I thought I'd share, as much of the knowledge/code put into it came from here on XDA.

First off, this uses fiinix's amazing DllImport library, so check that out.

Here's what it is. I was curious to see how WP7 handled memory usage and running applications, and this program made it much easier to view this information in a convenient manner. After some cleaning, I figured I'd share it with you guys, and see if anyone has some suggestions. No, this is not a task manager, as I don't know how to get around the privilege issue. But once I do, I'll be sure to update it.

Also, it served as a basis to experiment with background threads. If you have dehydration enabled, I've programmed it to listen for the VolUp/VolDown combination. If detected, it'll bring up a message box in any running application with the current memory information.

But enough rambling Here's a video of it, and a download link. If you have any questions regarding it, feel free to ask

Features:
-Displays memory load and total physical memory
-Displays device uptime
-Lists all running processes
-Displays a message over the current application with memory load information upon pressing VolUp+VolDown (dehydration hack must be enabled)

Enjoy!

Download
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaxbot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jaxbot Ad-Free
14th May 2011, 05:43 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hey i'm using samsung omnia 7 dehydration hack enabled, is it unable to have the memory load information functionality by pressing volup+down? ):
14th May 2011, 06:10 PM |#3  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wch1703

hey i'm using samsung omnia 7 dehydration hack enabled, is it unable to have the memory load information functionality by pressing volup+down? ):

The application has to be running in the background, eg open up the task manager and press Start. It should then work. Let me know how it goes.
14th May 2011, 08:26 PM |#4  

More
Apparently it doesn't work, even in the task manager app, nothing pops up! Is it only me? :/
15th May 2011, 04:19 AM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Apparently it doesn't work, even in the task manager app, nothing pops up! Is it only me? :/

Are you holding down both Volume Up and Volume Down? Are you sure dehydration is working and the app is running in the background? It's worked on my Samsung Focus during testing, so I don't know why an Omnia wouldn't.
15th May 2011, 05:46 AM |#6  

More
yeah i'm sure i'm on dehydration and the app is in the background. i followed the things you did in the video and can see the multiple taskhost.exe in the task viewer..but the memory load info just doesnt pop up anywhere..is it because i'm on 7390 nodo?
15th May 2011, 05:46 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Very cool. Keep up the great work Jaxbot!
15th May 2011, 01:15 PM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

yeah i'm sure i'm on dehydration and the app is in the background. i followed the things you did in the video and can see the multiple taskhost.exe in the task viewer..but the memory load info just doesnt pop up anywhere..is it because i'm on 7390 nodo?

NoDo shouldn't be a problem, something else must just be strange. What happens when you hold both Vol Up and Vol Down? Does the volume pop-up come up with the numbers changing rapidly?
15th May 2011, 03:09 PM |#9  

More
Sometimes the volume pop up comes up but the volume doesn't change at all. Other times nothing comes up not even the volume..could u make one that uses the half shutter like on the task switcher u previewed? It seems more reliable to me..
16th May 2011, 03:11 PM |#10  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 241

Donate to Me
More
This is intresting.

These are my suggestion (for a graphical taskviewer):

Auto update the list when the program gets active.
List only the hwnds of the running apps.
Keep track of the app that had last focus before opening this app (this maybe a bit tricky and is to render the latest state of the app before exiting)
Say im running facebook app and now open the taskswitcher it should make a screenshot of the facebook app the moment my active app changes when clicking the taskswitcher

Do you mind if I can do some experiments with your code? I can build it myself since I need only some parts of it, but your basically does half what I wanted to experiment so it will save time
16th May 2011, 04:49 PM |#11  
Flag El Paso
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Works sometimes on my HD7 when I press vol up/down great app though !

Sent from my HD7 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
app, homebrew, taskviewer

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)