[Huawei Ideos C8150 / U8150][General Development][Update 01-04-2011]

Search This thread

exespert

Jun 3, 2011
i cant figure how to put bootanimation... ive DL'ed bootanimation from your site then renamed it to bootanimation and using file explorer copied?push it to system/media/ and overwrite whats in there... but when i reboot the same bootanimation is there

BTW im running dronix 0.4

aorth

Nov 10, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
mjanja.ch
Checking for synaptics

how would you know if you have melfas or synaptic screen?

You need to look at the output of the "getevent" command, either in the Terminal Emulator application, or via adb. It'll generate quite a bit of text, but in the first few lines you'll see something like this:
Code:
$ adb shell
add device 7: /dev/input/event2
  name:     "synaptics-rmi-touchscreen"

For what it's worth, my IDEOS was bought in Kenya in June, 2011 (Stock ROM: U8150V100R001C18B842), and multi-touch gestures like pinch to zoom work in at least the web browser (but not the gallery).

aorth

Nov 10, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
mjanja.ch
Froyo kernel development

Hey, guys, I wanted to let everyone know that I've uploaded the Froyo kernel sources from Huawei's code drop to github. There are a few existing U8150 kernel source trees over there, I couldn't find a vanilla copy (no non-Huawei additions like multi touch or over/under clocking!).

github repo: https://github.com/alanorth/kernel_huawei_u8150
Tutorial: http://mjanja.co.ke/2011/06/compiling-custom-kernels-on-the-huawei-u8150

On my repository you'll find two branches, froyo-huawei and froyo-noma. The huawei branch remains untouched from how I found it as I unzipped it from their publicly-available downloads section. My branch will have fixes, tools, tweaks, etc.

Please fork it, and let us reclaim our devices together!

Last edited:

tj_style

Retired Recognized Developer
May 12, 2010
Bogor
sobir.in
Hey, guys, I wanted to let everyone know that I've uploaded the Froyo kernel sources from Huawei's code drop to github. There are a few existing U8150 kernel source trees over there, I couldn't find a vanilla copy (no non-Huawei additions like multi touch or over/under clocking!).

github repo: https://github.com/alanorth/kernel_huawei_u8150]alanorth/kernel_huawei_u8150
Tutorial: http://mjanja.co.ke/2011/06/compiling-custom-kernels-on-the-huawei-u8150

On my repository you'll find two branches, froyo-huawei and froyo-noma. The huawei branch remains untouched from how I found it as I unzipped it from their publicly-available downloads section. My branch will have fixes, tools, tweaks, etc.

Please fork it, and let us reclaim our devices together!

in my github, the first commit is untouched from huawei.

Sent from my ViewPad7

aorth

Nov 10, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
mjanja.ch
Kernel repository and multi touch

in my github, the first commit is untouched from huawei.

Ooops, I didn't see your repo. For what it's worth, I did search for "IDEOS" and "U8150" on github, hehe. I should have forked yours and saved my disk quota! Cheers, though, it's good to see your repository now because it brings up something interesting...

Apologies if this is obvious, I just got my IDEOS a few days ago. Regarding multi-touch gesture support: My IDEOS is from Kenya, running the Kenyan Safaricom ROM (with Synaptics touchscreen and working stock multi touch). I noticed my custom kernels don't have multi touch, even though I've pulled the kernel config directly from my device...

It all makes sense now... I think I read somewhere (it might have been you who said it) that the Huawei Froyo sources are incomplete. Now I understand why! Now lemme go pull some of your changes. ;)

aorth

Nov 10, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
mjanja.ch
It all makes sense now... I think I read somewhere (it might have been you who said it) that the Huawei Froyo sources are incomplete. Now I understand why! Now lemme go pull some of your changes. ;)

Yep, it looks like Huawei's sources are incomplete. Adding your multi-touch changes to the Huawei sources, and using the existing config pulled from my device (Kenyan Safaricom stock working with multi touch) does enable multi-touch gesture support in custom kernels.

Pardon me for being verbose, but the more times we say this, and the more times we write it down, the more often Google, et al will index it. I want to make sure anyone searching for this information finds it! Information wants to be set free!

Thanks, tjstyle!

tj_style

Retired Recognized Developer
May 12, 2010
Bogor
sobir.in
Yep, it looks like Huawei's sources are incomplete. Adding your multi-touch changes to the Huawei sources, and using the existing config pulled from my device (Kenyan Safaricom stock working with multi touch) does enable multi-touch gesture support in custom kernels.

Pardon me for being verbose, but the more times we say this, and the more times we write it down, the more often Google, et al will index it. I want to make sure anyone searching for this information finds it! Information wants to be set free!

Thanks, tjstyle!

Actualy, the kernel source from huawei is completed. i mean without multitouch feature.

but when i fun with enabling the multitouch (dualtouch), and share the patch.
then huawei releasing the firmware with multitouch enabled.

until now, huawei not yet releasing the new kernel source with multitouch enabled.
my patch is different with huawei, or maybe same :D

aorth

Nov 10, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
mjanja.ch
Regarding multi touch

Actualy, the kernel source from huawei is completed. i mean without multitouch feature.

but when i fun with enabling the multitouch (dualtouch), and share the patch.
then huawei releasing the firmware with multitouch enabled.

until now, huawei not yet releasing the new kernel source with multitouch enabled.
my patch is different with huawei, or maybe same :D

tj, that's very interesting historical evidence. Let it be known that you beat Huawei in enabling multi-touch gesture support on the U8150, haha! I was so happy to find that this little device can do pinch-to-zoom!

Also, these devices are selling like hot cakes in Kenya. I've been asking around and quite a number of people are stuck with Melfas touchscreens. Others have synaptics (confirmed in adb with getevent) but their ROM is too old, maybe the first few models sold in Kenya...?

For what it's worth, I've seen two stock ROM versions here in Kenya:
  • V100R001C18B842 - has multi touch
  • V100R001C18B829 - has no multi touch

aorth

Nov 10, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
mjanja.ch
bcm4329 drivers

Is there any trick to compiling the Broadcom 4329 wireless drivers included with the U8150 Froyo kernel source code Huawei released? Selecting bcm4329 in menuconfig results in several errors during module compilation.

Code:
ERROR: "wifi_set_power" [drivers/net/wireless/bcm4329/bcm4329.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "wifi_get_irq_number" [drivers/net/wireless/bcm4329/bcm4329.ko] undefined!

I'm just experimenting with some kernel patches and I'd like to be able to compile the wireless driver from source. The stock ramdisk has bcm4329.ko compiled as dhd.ko (dongle host driver), but it's strictly for kernel 2.6.32.9-perf and thus refuses to load if you modify the kernel too much (ie, upgrade to 2.6.32.10, etc).

Cheers,

tilal6991

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 25, 2010
Is there any trick to compiling the Broadcom 4329 wireless drivers included with the U8150 Froyo kernel source code Huawei released? Selecting bcm4329 in menuconfig results in several errors during module compilation.

Code:
ERROR: "wifi_set_power" [drivers/net/wireless/bcm4329/bcm4329.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "wifi_get_irq_number" [drivers/net/wireless/bcm4329/bcm4329.ko] undefined!

I'm just experimenting with some kernel patches and I'd like to be able to compile the wireless driver from source. The stock ramdisk has bcm4329.ko compiled as dhd.ko (dongle host driver), but it's strictly for kernel 2.6.32.9-perf and thus refuses to load if you modify the kernel too much (ie, upgrade to 2.6.32.10, etc).

Cheers,

The problem is that we have bcm4319 not 4329

tilal6991

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 25, 2010
Oh, crap... you're right. I saw Huawe's S7 tablet uses BCM4329 and somehow assumed the U8150 did too. Once I got my mind set on it I never stopped to check! It all makes sense now, thanks. What a bummer!

So you're using Huawei's source for your CM7 builds too... grrr, broadcom!

It's really annoying because if we had bcm4329 everything would be much easier. We could compile a new version of the kernel and have FM radio as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On this thread I will explain all about general modification for Huawei Ideos U8150 / C8150 Devices.

What I will explain on this thread:
    - Change path of bootanimation.zip from /cust partition to /system/media/
    - Change oemlogo.mbn from /cust partition to /system/media/
    - Make your own oemlogo.mbn (splashscreen)
    - Multitouch support for U8150 / C8150
    - Update link for Official Firmware from Huawei

Change path for bootanimation.zip

For default, U8150 / C8150 is mounting /cust partition at startup, and /system/bin/bootanimation will search the bootanimation.zip from /data/cust/media/ but, sometimes the Custom ROM is wiping the /cust partition and will load internal bootanimation from framework-res.apk.

so, we can change the path of bootanimation.zip to /system/media/ with hex editor.

this is the original path:
    boot1.jpg

and change to /system/media like this:
    boot2.jpg

Change path for oemlogo.mbn
    For default splashscreen is located at splash partiton, but Huawei change the path to "hidden/unknown" partition.
    so, when we try to flash the spashscreen to splash partition with fastboot, it will not work.
    And also Huawei is using non standard rgb565 format.

after some trial, i successfully to make my oemlogo.mbn.
    U8150/C8150 is using 240x320 rgb565 format.
    we can make the custom oemlogo.mbn by converting the custom image to 240x320 rgb565 format with Paint.NET application and plugin.

the application can be download in here:
    paint.net

and the rgb565 from here:
    Rgb565

Place the Rgb565.dll in plugin folder of Paint.NET

make your own splashscreen with 240x320 pixel and open with Paint.NET.
    and then save as Rgb565 format.
    paint.jpg

And now how to flash the splashscreen to our device?

Huawei using the /system/bin/load_oemlogo for flashing the oemlogo.mbn (splashscreen) to our device.
    But again, we must to change the path of oemlogo.mbn from /cust partition to /system/media

open the load_oemlogo with hex editor, and change:
    splash1.jpg

to this:
    splash2.jpg

After all modification is complete here we go to replace the bootanimation and load_oemlogo in /system/bin

place bootanimation.zip and oemlogo.mbn to /system/media/

go to shell with adb or terminal emulator, get su permission and type:
    # load_oemlogo

Last step reboot the device...

Finally You will have custom bootanimation and custom splashcreen..

I make simple patcher that can automatically patch the bootanimation and load_oemlogo. it can save lot of time for developer.
    just place the bootanimation and load_oemlogo in same folder with x8150_patcher.exe run x8150_patcher.exe and press patch.
    you will have the patched bootanimation and load_oemlogo automatically.

here is the patcher:
    View attachment x8150_patcher.7z
    Multitouch Development, Finally Working!

The GOOD NEWS i have sucessfully to get multitouch capability on U8150 / C8150 device..
    But the BAD NEWS, I must to modify the driver again because i lost the touch panel (back, menu, home & search) button.

For now, i can get multitouch and touch panel work together.
    if multitouch is working, the touch panel not working. vice versa..

Update 30th March 2011:
    Successfully get Multitouch and Touch panel working together.

I will release the ROM when I finishing the RC2 of Andro-ID v2.2 for C8150.
    I must cleaning up the system now..

This is some preview of Multitouch Capability on C8150:

After re-check the code, and nothing problem that I see.
    Now I share the patch file for kernel source:
    View attachment multitouch-c8150.patch.zip

And also the compiled kernel:
    View attachment zImage.zip

I'm so happy to get the the new feature on our device..
    the multitouch patch is not working in my kernel :((((((

edit: tried also your compiled kernel, same issue.... Maybe it's not real compatible with all devices.... I'll investigate..
    That's also for U8150, or we have to wait?

it work with U8150..

Sent from my Ideos