22nd June 2014, 04:12 PM |#21  
OP Member
Flag Oradea
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by djangosteen

can anyone confirm / ever seen it worked and tested in SM-N900 Exynos version?

Thanks before!

From the nature of the vulnerability used by TowelRoot to obtain root, I am fairly sure it would work. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work. I haven't seen it used on n9000 however.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMasterR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheMasterR Ad-Free

22nd June 2014, 04:18 PM |#22  
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 97

More
Used towel root yesterday and it worked like a breeze.

Will I trip knox if I install cwm know?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
22nd June 2014, 04:23 PM |#23  
OP Member
Flag Oradea

More
Exclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfikkert

Used towel root yesterday and it worked like a breeze.

Will I trip knox if I install cwm know?

Thanks.

Yes. Pretty sure KNOX will be tripped.
22nd June 2014, 04:28 PM |#24  
Flag Rotterdam

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMasterR

Yes. Pretty sure KNOX will be tripped.

To bad. I hoped that I now could mess around with custom roms without tripping knox.

22nd June 2014, 04:31 PM |#25  
OP Member
Flag Oradea

More
Thumbs up
Quote:

To bad. I hoped that I now could mess around with custom roms without tripping knox.

I know the feeling. Still root is better than nothing ^_^
22nd June 2014, 04:41 PM |#26  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:

From the nature of the vulnerability used by TowelRoot to obtain root, I am fairly sure it would work. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work. I haven't seen it used on n9000 however.

1) is there any scenario where this root method tripping the KNOX?

2) can you update the version of the Android to the latest one after rooting your device? (i.e Note 3 soon will getting the 4.4.3 update or something)

Sorry for stupid question, just a new guy in these stuffs.
22nd June 2014, 05:11 PM |#27  
OP Member
Flag Oradea

More
Info 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by djangosteen

1) is there any scenario where this root method tripping the KNOX?

2) can you update the version of the Android to the latest one after rooting your device? (i.e Note 3 soon will getting the 4.4.3 update or something)

Sorry for stupid question, just a new guy in these stuffs.

• To answer your first question: i rooted my phone and my friends n9005`s and none of them got KNOX tripped. (7 in number, 8 with mine) Also from what I read on other forums/threads, no KNOX trips wore reported till this point in time. (even Geohot - the creator of the root - says it is safe so far, as no one reported tripped KNOX after root, but like any things related to root, you take a risk when you do it)
  • As for the second question: if samsung identifies the vulnerability, root will most probably be lost. Also it depends on the type of the update, if it wipes the system or it patches it. Most likely root will be lost. Maybe a new vulnerability will be found (or is fond just not released, and won`t be fixed in the update), and thus we will be able to root again, who knows.

(it`s ok to not do the update instantly when it comes out, and just wait for other people to tell you if root is lost or not during the update. That`s the best course of action, since you can decide if you want the update or not later on.)
22nd June 2014, 05:19 PM |#28  
Flag Rotterdam

More
Quote:

I know the feeling. Still root is better than nothing ^_^

I know... but this is the only Android device (I have six. 2 tables 3 phones and one tv stick) that is not running on a custom rom. A the other devices are simple to unroot and don't have that stupid knox.

Mayby I have to stop caring about not tripping knox and just do it. ..

22nd June 2014, 05:30 PM |#29  
OP Member
Flag Oradea

More
Cool aye
Quote:

I know... but this is the only Android device (I have six. 2 tables 3 phones and one tv stick) that is not running on a custom rom. A the other devices are simple to unroot and don't have that stupid knox.

Mayby I have to stop caring about not tripping knox and just do it. ..

well I noticed you are from Rotterdam, so since you are in the EU, technically speaking, SAMSUNG is obligated to provide you WARRANTY for 2 years for the HARDWARE, so as long as you don`t brick it when you flash it, they are obligated by the EU directive 1999/44/CE to repair it, or change it, or give you your money back

You can google / read up on the laws, and if you feel ok, then I see no issue with voiding KNOX. After all to me it`s more of an enterprise feature... (or good feature if you value security)

As for actually damaging the phone via software, in general if you know what you are doing you are safe. Just note that the law refers to the hardware. So if something was not made to spec or was damaged from factory, even if it worked, for 2 years the company must make sure all the hardware holds up to the spec. You lose WARRANTY if you do damage that is imputable to you. That`s why if you brick it and you send it to WARRANTY they charge you and don`t fix it under WARRANTY.

To be honest, I treat KNOX like a girl treats her virginity :P
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMasterR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheMasterR Ad-Free
22nd June 2014, 05:40 PM |#30  
Flag Kaunas
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hi,

towelRoot has worked for me. Now I've made HardReset, and still have Root, but System status is Custom (Knox is 0x0). How can I get back System status Official?

Regards!

H.
22nd June 2014, 05:47 PM |#31  
OP Member
Flag Oradea

More
Info 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazyras

Hi,

towelRoot has worked for me. Now I've made HardReset, and still have Root, but System status is Custom (Knox is 0x0). How can I get back System status Official?

Regards!

H.

• Your system status should have remained official. Was it to official before you used TowelRoot What did you do after you obtained root?
  • To unroot, simply install Chainfire`s SU from playstore, and in the settings you have an option to unroot.
  • To answer your second question, one way to regain your system to official, is to flash an official ROM to your phone. Make sure it`s an official version. (you can browse a lot of official ROMS on sammobile.com, try to get one that has the same CSC as your phone. You will need to flash it via ODIN however)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.4.2, knox 0x0, n9005, root, towelroot

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)