who has tested out and successfully used their Wifi Direct Feature on Prime?

Search This thread

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
just like the title states. you know the .21 update made this feature available to us. yet, many reported at first not being able to get it to work. I haven't seen anyone mention this subject since then. I can't get it to work or might not be activating it properly.

if someone got it working, what exactly did you do? do both devices need to have Wifi Direct or only one device(official description from wifi direct says only one device is needed but just checking)? this feature can be very useful for file transferring. etc.. So if no one has not gotten this working, then this issue needs to be brought up to Asus(which I have already mentioned to Gary).

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
I haven't been able to figure it out either. I turn it on in the TFP settings, then try to connect to my Nexus but when I turn it on in the Nexus settings, it then turns off on the TFP. Vice versa when I go to turn it back on in the Nexus settings the TFP turns off. Half baked inplementation or something..

brownrt

Dec 1, 2008
Washington, DC
the most i have had happen is that a buddies nexus phone recognized that my tab was avaliable for connection, but from what i understand, there is a software (developer not manufacturer) issue that hasn't been addressed yet to manage that ad-hoc connection.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
it might be safe to say no one here has really gotten it to work or had enough interest in it to try. thing is Gary told me his works just fine. He said they were trying to recreate the issue but I'm not sure if they were able to or not. I also feel like it was never fully implemented or something is missing in the software. According to the official advertising for it, its supposed to be seamless and easy to activate and use with other devices. i cant get it to work at all really. Based on what I've seen that this technology/feature is capable of, this is something i really want to work. It could make things alot easier and more efficient.

TheWerewolf

Nov 24, 2006
Surrey, BC
WiFi Direct really only works between two WiFi Direct devices.. it's kind of like Bluetooth but uses an adhoc like connection.

But now that you mention it - I just realised my Nexus also does WiFi Direct... sooo...

Give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can make this do anything useful.

BRB... :)

Short version - they added the WiFi Direct API, but no actual support for it - unlike in Bada which has a client built into the OS.

In theory, if someone writes an app that supports WiFi Direct connections for file sharing and printing, it will do something useful.. right now.. not so much.

There is, however a Demo WiFiDi app set...

http://developer.android.com/resources/samples/WiFiDirectDemo/index.html

Last edited:
Reactions: demandarin

neilcbennett

Feb 25, 2008
Wifi Direct

I have a Galaxy Tab 7.7 and a Galaxy Note. Wifi direct is available on these devices, and it works brilliantly - I can move a 800mb short film between the devices in about 60 seconds, mp3 files are near instantaneous. I have tried both with the Prime, but the devices fail to handover the connection to completness, eventhough the prime is recognised. On the samsung devices, you get a confirmation of connection, or in file managers and app you get an additional 'send to' option of 'wifi', then you select the target device, accept on the receiving unit and off it goes. what is needed is for Asus to write the pairing part of the handover. Question though is can a prime 'see' a prime. I dont have two so cannot check!

Reactions: leppie

azrowdydog

Jan 8, 2009
Phoenix
My SGS2 has wifi direct I can connect it with my prime for a short period and then the prime turns off wifi direct. It doesnt stay connected long enough for me to test anything.

TheWerewolf

Nov 24, 2006
Surrey, BC
I have a Galaxy Tab 7.7 and a Galaxy Note. Wifi direct is available on these devices, and it works brilliantly - I can move a 800mb short film between the devices in about 60 seconds, mp3 files are near instantaneous. I have tried both with the Prime, but the devices fail to handover the connection to completness, eventhough the prime is recognised. On the samsung devices, you get a confirmation of connection, or in file managers and app you get an additional 'send to' option of 'wifi', then you select the target device, accept on the receiving unit and off it goes. what is needed is for Asus to write the pairing part of the handover. Question though is can a prime 'see' a prime. I dont have two so cannot check!

Nope. As far as I can tell, there's nothing in the way of status or connection management or reporting on the Prime for WiFi Direct. The few videos I've seen of it working are on Samsung devices - so it looks like Samsung went the extra mile to include it in the system and make it useful.

Nope. As far as I can tell, there's nothing in the way of status or connection management or reporting on the Prime for WiFi Direct. The few videos I've seen of it working are on Samsung devices - so it looks like Samsung went the extra mile to include it in the system and make it useful.

I was in the Transformer forum and they just received an update a day or 2 ago. Here I'd the change log someone posted for the TF101:

9.2.1.21 Change log:

1. Improved system stability
2. Updated Email App
3. Updated App Backup App
4. Updated MyLibrary App
5. Added WiFi Direct Support
6. Added unzipping functionality to File Manager
7. Added ability to revert to last working state in the browser

I'm wondering if Asus added what we need to get WiFi Direct working and it will come to us in our next update. I have to wait for the updated ROM for my Transformer so I can't check it for myself.

redheadplantguy

May 10, 2011
Louisville KY
i had to return my first one due to pic quality. neither that one or new one has functioning wifi direct. i emailed asus, and they said sounds like faulty wifi hardware and i should rma it back. if it truly is faulty, i have best buy replacement protection. tablets were different SN lines, so im wondering what i should do. it seems nobody can get theirs working.

sledgie

Feb 12, 2005
I tried wifi direct as well with ICS 4.0.4 on E4GT which i believe, isn't Samsung's "psuedo" wifi direct seen previously in the 2.4+ builds.

The E4GT can see the prime when it scans. When it tries to connect, the Prime user should be notified, asked to accept the connection, and then both devices "handshake" and stay connected.

When I try to connect, the E4GT just states it's waiting for Prime to connect. No connect here for me in previous testing (although I'm on .15 now so this is irrevelant). Just speaking from previous experience. Prime needs some sort of notification. Seems like libraries are on prime just no connection handshake or connection implementation.
Btw, Prime never sees my E4GT, just vice versa.

Ask Gary what device he had success with? I'd love someone to chime in who has 2 primes....phree perhaps? Erusman?

Reactions: Yard10

kelukelu

Jun 13, 2012
When I was trying the Wifi direct transfer on the TF300, I can't found the transfer icon of wifi direct, the choose icon only ' blue tooth, gmail, webstorage...' that without wifi direct.

I really don't know how to send the file from TF300 to S2 without the wifi direct icon.

conversely, S2 send the file to TF300, the status was holding in transfer, after they recognized.

I sent an email asking the wifi problem to Asus, but they replied that the problem transfer to other department already, and give me notice when future information'. The email over 10 days, I don't believe they have future information in shortly.

I also used an USB to linking both S2 and TF300, but TF300 seems can't recognize the S2, not any device was found.

Now, I only through the PC to make them communication which is TF300, S2 and PC linking together, then using the PC control file transfer. But it is not convenience.

DonB368

May 5, 2012
Mobile, Alabama
Question though is can a prime 'see' a prime. I dont have two so cannot check!

I have a Prime (with most recent .28 update), and my son a TF300 - and they "see" each other. Both devices go through the connection process of "inviting" and "accepting", but as has been stated - there is no option to send files via wifi even though they are supposedly connected.

sachinkumar1312

May 1, 2012
New Delhi
ASUS only added the WiFi Direct baseline in the ICS .21. It did not had any settings to be made such 'connect to' OR send an invite to the surrounding WiFi devices also waiting for an Ad-Hoc connection. My Laptop keeps on waiting for other devices to connect. And why shouldn't it? There's nothing one can do on TFP then to simply Turn ON and OFF WiFi direct.

Somebody needs to make a WiFi Ad-Hoc Manager UI or APP from where different devices can see each other and send-receive direct connection requests.

Big leap to ICS .28 with just 'inviting' and 'accepting' and not able to send files. ASUS could have updated their ROM for full functionality. They are playing version by version !

Unfortunately, there is no market app available for the same to date.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WiFi Direct really only works between two WiFi Direct devices.. it's kind of like Bluetooth but uses an adhoc like connection.

But now that you mention it - I just realised my Nexus also does WiFi Direct... sooo...

Give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can make this do anything useful.

BRB... :)

Short version - they added the WiFi Direct API, but no actual support for it - unlike in Bada which has a client built into the OS.

In theory, if someone writes an app that supports WiFi Direct connections for file sharing and printing, it will do something useful.. right now.. not so much.

There is, however a Demo WiFiDi app set...

http://developer.android.com/resources/samples/WiFiDirectDemo/index.html
    Wifi Direct

I tried wifi direct as well with ICS 4.0.4 on E4GT which i believe, isn't Samsung's "psuedo" wifi direct seen previously in the 2.4+ builds.

The E4GT can see the prime when it scans. When it tries to connect, the Prime user should be notified, asked to accept the connection, and then both devices "handshake" and stay connected.

When I try to connect, the E4GT just states it's waiting for Prime to connect. No connect here for me in previous testing (although I'm on .15 now so this is irrevelant). Just speaking from previous experience. Prime needs some sort of notification. Seems like libraries are on prime just no connection handshake or connection implementation.
    Btw, Prime never sees my E4GT, just vice versa.

Ask Gary what device he had success with? I'd love someone to chime in who has 2 primes....phree perhaps? Erusman?