[Q] help with disabling OTA update

Search This thread

hydra1

Aug 18, 2012
I'm with T-Mobile if that helps or changes anything, running 4.2.2. Now, I've gotten my phone to stop bugging me to install the OTA update. But the problem is the OTA update is still downloading in the background, it's just that I'm not being bugged by my phone to update it (i.e. there's no icon showing up in the notification bar). It becomes a sort of "silent update." So why is this a problem for me?

Because I'm on T-Mobile's cheapest plan which is the 500mb data plan. Each time the OTA downloads it eats up 155mb. And twice already this billing cycle it's done it, so that's 310mb of data wasted.

There are posts saying to use Titanium Backup Pro and freezing an app called Software Update MUC, and another post referring to the file as Software Update 2.3.0.5, but on my phone (using TB Pro) there's no file starting with "Software" anything.

So how do I stop my phone from downloading the OTA all together? Please help. Thanks.

hydra1

Aug 18, 2012
Sorry, forgot to mention doing that won't work. For some reason my phone doesn't properly install OTA updates. I don't mind being stuck on 4.2.2. I just want the OTA downloads to stop in the first place.

LordLugard

Apr 25, 2008
NYC
Give this a try...

If rooted, use a file manager like Root Explorer, go to System/Etc/Security, (mount R/W) and rename otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak

Reboot phone.

hydra1

Aug 18, 2012
Give this a try...

If rooted, use a file manager like Root Explorer, go to System/Etc/Security, (mount R/W) and rename otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak

Reboot phone.
I've done that already. I renamed the file to otacerts.zip.back (instead of .bak). I assume that doesn't make any difference. I believe renaming the file is what is causing my phone to not show the OTA icon in the notification bar. But as I said, the issue for me is that my phone is still downloading the update itself.

Any other ideas?

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
I've done that already. I renamed the file to otacerts.zip.back (instead of .bak). I assume that doesn't make any difference. I believe renaming the file is what is causing my phone to not show the OTA icon in the notification bar. But as I said, the issue for me is that my phone is still downloading the update itself.

Any other ideas?

what I've done is in system/app look for lgfota.apk/odex and renamed them to .bak and reboot and no more updates

hydra1

Aug 18, 2012
what I've done is in system/app look for lgfota.apk/odex and renamed them to .bak and reboot and no more updates
I don't have that file in my system/app folder. What's wrong with my phone????? :(

On my phone, the file listed that comes before where lgfota.apk/odex should appear is LGEIME_THEME_BLACK.odex, and the file after that file is LGGallery.apk.

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
I don't have that file in my system/app folder. What's wrong with my phone????? :(

On my phone, the file listed that comes before where lgfota.apk/odex should appear is LGEIME_THEME_BLACK.odex, and the file after that file is LGGallery.apk.

you can check in the system/priv-app; that's very odd for it not to be in system/app are you on stock rom/have you removed any bloat

hydra1

Aug 18, 2012
you can check in the system/priv-app; that's very odd for it not to be in system/app are you on stock rom/have you removed any bloat
I don't have a system/priv-app folder, either. I'm on stock rom, but I removed as much bloat as I can, including certain apps I find no use for (e.g. double-tap, voice command, etc). Maybe this will help: I used Root Explorer's search feature and searched for "fota", and here's what I think are the most "relevant" results:

/lgdms.fota.rc
/lgdms.fota_update.rc
/etc/fota
/etc/permissions/com.lge.fota.xml
/system/framework/com.lge.fota.jar
/system/framework/com.lge.fota.odex

Does this help? Anyone?

RohanM

Oct 19, 2012
I don't have a system/priv-app folder, either. I'm on stock rom, but I removed as much bloat as I can, including certain apps I find no use for (e.g. double-tap, voice command, etc). Maybe this will help: I used Root Explorer's search feature and searched for "fota", and here's what I think are the most "relevant" results:

/lgdms.fota.rc
/lgdms.fota_update.rc
/etc/fota
/etc/permissions/com.lge.fota.xml
/system/framework/com.lge.fota.jar
/system/framework/com.lge.fota.odex

Does this help? Anyone?

Did you got any solution ?
I also got the same issue. Sprint here. I have renamed all files like otacerts.zip & lgfota.apk/odex, still it downloads the damn update.