Titanium Backup - why not restore data?

Search This thread

Wond3r

Aug 24, 2008
I have read that when going to a different rom to do a full wipe.

So clearly if you want to keep your apps you back them up and recover them with titanium backup, but why is it advised to not restore the Data of the apps?

How else would I keep game scores and settings and such?

Thanks

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com

So clearly if you want to keep your apps you back them up and recover them with titanium backup, but why is it advised to not restore the Data of the apps?

Thanks

that would be a bit of misinformation that gets spread around.....

its fine to restore user apps+data. i have been doing it for a long time with every device i have. swapping between devices and all.

do a batch restore MISSING apps+data
unselect anything that might be blur/sense/touchwiz specific (based on the phone you are using)
run the batch and reboot
verify you are not having any FCs on your apps

if you do a batch restore of just user apps+data (and not the MISSING option) you will get tons of issues.

it is not advised to use Titanium Backup for things like text messages, contacts, phone logs, etc. (while possible it will work just fine, i have seen lots more issues trying to restore those from rom to rom rather than just user apps.)

again. use the MISSING APPS option in the batch restore of Titanium Backup

i have been doing it for over a year on many different devices and i even share my titanium backup folder between different phones, with NO issues at all. and i typically flash several times a week on several different devices.

Reactions: Wond3r

Paschalis

Mar 25, 2009

Thanks

It is advised to do full wipe, if you install a rom.
And if you want to keep your settings, games scores etc, you use Titanium Backup.

Titanium Backup is your friend in those cases..
What is not adviced, is installing a Rom, without wiping your data.. In that way, you keep for example data of apps and games, of a froyo rom, to a gingerbread rom..
Rom to Rom differs(even in same android version), thats why you full wipe, and then TiBu saves you by restoring them, to the new rom's enviroment..

Edit: Agree with others.. I was typing on atrix, and since i wrote this, they already answered! :p

Also in atrix, NEVER restore FINGERPRINTS backup..

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Last edited:

Wond3r

Aug 24, 2008

its fine to restore user apps+data. i have been doing it for a long time with every device i have. swapping between devices and all.

unselect anything that might be blur/sense/touchwiz specific (based on the phone you are using)
run the batch and reboot

if you do a batch restore of just user apps+data (and not the MISSING option) you will get tons of issues.

it is not advised to use Titanium Backup for things like text messages, contacts, phone logs, etc. (while possible it will work just fine, i have seen lots more issues trying to restore those from rom to rom rather than just user apps.)

i have been doing it for over a year on many different devices and i even share my titanium backup folder between different phones, with NO issues at all. and i typically flash several times a week on several different devices.

That explains it. Ive seen MANY posts where users tell other users to restore apps but not restore data but dont specify they mean system data and not app data!

Also, when people talk of a full wipe, do they mean even deleting the contents of the internal storage (like photos and such?)

This would be for going from one ROM to another ROM, both GB

Reactions: morepower71

morepower71

Apr 12, 2011
No they are talking about doing a "wipe data/factory reset" in CMW and not physically deleting your internal sdcard. if you delete your sdcard then you will wipe out data that you need including your titanium backups

Wond3r

Aug 24, 2008
No they are talking about doing a "wipe data/factory reset" in CMW and not physically deleting your internal sdcard. if you delete your sdcard then you will wipe out data that you need including your titanium backups

Thanks ! I always feared that the wipe data/factory reset pretty much deletes all the files on your device like photos and music

W

WiredPirate

The short answer is force closes. Which also can happen from restoring app data, altho it is less likely to happen, it can and it will. But yea def dont restore system data.

W

WiredPirate

Is there any other way of saving game saves?

You can use SyncIt or GameOn, you can even back it up manualy with Root Explorer. You should be fine with TiBU, just if you do get a force close you will know why and what to do (delete data and/or uninstall/reinstall).

JonnyCazoid

Apr 24, 2012
I am having an issue restoring my app data from titanium backup. The issue first occurred when i switched from a stock ROM to CM7 ICS ROM. When i restored my missing apps+data all of my app data had disappeared. I just started over and didn't worry about it. Then when i switched from CM7 back to a stock rom I received my old apps+data from before i switched to CM7. I read around on the forums that this might be a compatibility issue. So i started to use the setting in the batch menu "Manipulate data and converted my backups to roll back journal mode which says this works with all roms, and started uploading to Dropbox. I recently just switched my Rom from a stock ROM to CM9 ICS. I lost all of my apps again!!:mad: and got back all of the app data from when i was using CM7. Could someone please shed some light on what is going on here cause i have no idea. Please let me know if there is anything i can do to get my app data into CM9 from my last stock rom. The stock rom i was using was an old ROM called wet dream.

pre4speed

Apr 17, 2011
lancaster
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I am having an issue restoring my app data from titanium backup. The issue first occurred when i switched from a stock ROM to CM7 ICS ROM. When i restored my missing apps+data all of my app data had disappeared. I just started over and didn't worry about it. Then when i switched from CM7 back to a stock rom I received my old apps+data from before i switched to CM7. I read around on the forums that this might be a compatibility issue. So i started to use the setting in the batch menu "Manipulate data and converted my backups to roll back journal mode which says this works with all roms, and started uploading to Dropbox. I recently just switched my Rom from a stock ROM to CM9 ICS. I lost all of my apps again!!:mad: and got back all of the app data from when i was using CM7. Could someone please shed some light on what is going on here cause i have no idea. Please let me know if there is anything i can do to get my app data into CM9 from my last stock rom. The stock rom i was using was an old ROM called wet dream.

The stock rom uses a different back up location than cm roms. You will have to manually go find the data backups in tibu. Don't bother having it auto detect, wont work. For example, all my backups were at mnt/emmc/titaniumbackup instead of the stock roms location of mnt/sdcard/titaniumbackup

Reactions: JonnyCazoid

JonnyCazoid

Apr 24, 2012
The stock rom uses a different back up location than cm roms. You will have to manually go find the data backups in tibu. Don't bother having it auto detect, wont work. For example, all my backups were at mnt/emmc/titaniumbackup instead of the stock roms location of mnt/sdcard/titaniumbackup

Looks like that was the the problem. I saved my backup on drop box so i just dropped what was on dropbox in my titanium folder and restored it. I now have all of my app data back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks

run the batch and reboot

run the batch and reboot

That explains it. Ive seen MANY posts where users tell other users to restore apps but not restore data but dont specify they mean system data and not app data!

Also, when people talk of a full wipe, do they mean even deleting the contents of the internal storage (like photos and such?)

This would be for going from one ROM to another ROM, both GB