Will you buy a WP 8?

Will you buy a WP 8?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Aphasaic2002

Jun 30, 2011
Taiwan
As critical as I am of WP7 on here, I actually like my phone (HTC Mozart) . It's usable, has a good web browser, great camera and excellent battery life.

However, there are still constant niggles that make me mad with frustration. I still can't back up the data on my phone (my data is *critical*, this is a SMARTPHONE - even my old 2001 Nokia I could backup contacts and SMS messages!), or jump-forward when listening to long audio books (no audio scrubbing WTF), and at least once a day I accidently exit an app by hitting the search button. Also I'm still waiting for Local Scout and Bing Maps support in Asia.

It's little things like that make me think Microsoft just don't "get" smartphones. They can add all the new features they like, and the coolest metro UI ever, but they still can't get the basics of the user experience right.

This latest move (basically sacrificing the whole WP7 user-base to bet everything on WP8) just sums it up; their marketing department is king, screw how the users feel. I have lost faith in this platform, I will keep it for another year or so (like the new 7.8 start-screen) then Android or iPhone5 for me.

Last edited:

dtboos

Dec 22, 2009
Yes. I will see what comes out, and likely purchase one before the holidays. Hopefully around the same time I grab an Intel based Surface ;)

DJRedLine

Oct 24, 2008
Aldershot
I own an HTC Trophy and will be happy with whatever upgrade they provide. My contract will be due roughly when WP8 is released and will certainly be upgrading to a new handset.

JackFetter

Jun 19, 2012
I've got a HD7 and I'll be switching over to Android (a Galaxy Note).

People say that Android doesn't get updates, when it does, infact. They just aren't official. In fact, the first Nexus is still getting supported by OFFICIAL updates. This is really a no-brainer for me.

drupad2drupad

Apr 11, 2010
Yes I will, and will be the first in the queue! Also, will tweet my photos using my Titan that would have potentially got the 7.8 which will give me the taste of WP8!
Any one who thinks 7.8 will not have more features than a new start screen must be an ex-iPhone owner or droidboy who haven't had updates with about 200 new features.

WP7 + 200 features = WP Mango aka 7.5
WP7.5 + xxx features = WP 7.8
WP7.8 + new hardware = WP8.

If like me you are happy with current hardware you paid for using your own brains knowing there will be better hardware in a few months time, then you should know that you will get all the features of WP8 that are not hardware dependent. No Skype won't come as integration to 7.8 but to WP8 but we will get equally working Skype app.

Sent from my Titan using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

lqaddict

Jul 19, 2010
NYC
Yes I will, and will be the first in the queue! Also, will tweet my photos using my Titan that would have potentially got the 7.8 which will give me the taste of WP8!
Any one who thinks 7.8 will not have more features than a new start screen must be an ex-iPhone owner or droidboy who haven't had updates with about 200 new features.

If like me you are happy with current hardware you paid for using your own brains knowing there will be better hardware in a few months time, then you should know that you will get all the features of WP8 that are not hardware dependent. No Skype won't come as integration to 7.8 but to WP8 but we will get equally working Skype app.

This is completely irrelevant.
1. 200+ new features introduced in Mango were 200+ features that differentiated Windows Phone (Mango release) from Zune Dumb Phone (pre-Mango WP7).
2. xxx features are still unknown in your equation, aside from the so revolutionary Start screen MSFT and Nokia stayed silent since the Summit.
3. There's more to hardware that makes WP8 from WP7.8 - there is a lot of software changes involved that put the final nail to the beta-test phase (WP7.x).

vetvito

Dec 31, 2007
^ in the video, it specifically stated "Windows Phone 7.8 Start Experience ". Then they went on to say, thats not all this update will bring, it will also bring along updated Nokia Apps. Thats it.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

andyl66

Jun 8, 2012
I also switched to android and so far, so good. I'll be holding out for reviews of the new handsets and app availability on wp8. I have my doubts to be honest. I'm still disgruntled that I was promised Thai Lang support within six months (this was October 2010 and I still have the link to the ms statement to that promise) here we are in 2012 and even tango doesn't have it. This is also a bad reflection on Nokia because Thailand was a very strong market for them.

I also feel bad for all the new wp7 owners who bought their new device in the belief that it would be updated. Yet another promise broken by ms (they promised ALL new handsets would have 2 year min full updates).

Android isn't too bad an os to be with for a while, the odd crash here and there can be tolerated. Also its a tech heads wet dream because so much doesn't work you need to dl roms to sort out probs.

If all goes well ill get a wp8 phone within 6 months of release. If Nokia release a pureview with wp8 i'll buy it without hesitation.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

AndyFZ1S

Apr 15, 2010
London
I personally will wait until the OS has had the initial bugs ironed out before I make the switch, So probably 2013 when I am due an upgrade so wont pay anything for it just like I am not paying anything for the updates for WP7 :p I really don't see what all the fuss is, Surely people that bought a new Nokia or any Gen 2 WP7 and didn't know full well if they would get an upgrade to WP8 have only themselves to blame, Most people on XDA had some idea they would not get WP8 on their WP7 handsets, If you did think so then there really is no hope for you, Look at what happened to Wm6.5, MS is a business not a charity and are out to make money, The fact they have thrown users of WP7 a bone with 7.8 tells me they value their consumers to some minor degree, If you aren't happy then jump ship to Android or IOS and learn a valuable lesson in trust. :rolleyes:

fatclue

Jul 15, 2010
Miami, FloriDuh
So glad that I got rid of my Samsung Focus and now the proud owner of the HTC One X. I started doubting the whole WP debacle when support for my Dell Venue Pro was dropped and I started smelling a scam. However, I still held on to my Samsung Focus since I hope that they will change. Luckily I changed my mind 2 weeks ago and sold my Focus for a good price. After this, there will be a lot of frustrated users trying to dump their WP on ebay, it would be hard to sell it at a good price now.

I used to be the HD2 owner that watched every single MS news hoping that they will change their mind and provide us with the upgrade. Ah, how I wished that I learned my lesson and never give M$ another chance. Technically speaking, I was shafted not only once but twice.

I was thinking about buying a Lumia 800 to try it out but no more, MS will never AGAIN get my money. I hope they burn in hell and fail miserably for what they did to the users.
And if you are still blindly supporting M$ after this, stop for a moment and think about how you have been treated. M$ is even worse than Google. Don't ever trust them. **** you M$.
We're all family here so please, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel about Microsoft.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

The OP asks if I will buy a Windows Phone 8 device, well here goes:

Until I can attach a PDF to my email, I'll stay with WinMo. Until I have a native file browser w/ network drive mapping, I'll stay with WinMo. Until I can have a CAD viewer, I'll stay with WinMo. Until I can use my phone as a USB drive, I'll stay with WinMo. Until I can sync my tasks with Exchange, I'll stay with WinMo.

As much as I miss contact integration and SkyDrive integration, I can't see spending money on something that's missing these basic features I NEED. I was really hoping that MS would pick up the slack left from the change to WP7 but it appears I'll be waiting some more. If anybody can point to an alternative that accomplishes ALL of my requirements, feel free to chime in.

mikeeam

May 26, 2010
We're all family here so please, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel about Microsoft.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

The OP asks if I will buy a Windows Phone 8 device, well here goes:

Until I can attach a PDF to my email, I'll stay with WinMo. Until I have a native file browser w/ network drive mapping, I'll stay with WinMo. Until I can have a CAD viewer, I'll stay with WinMo. Until I can use my phone as a USB drive, I'll stay with WinMo. Until I can sync my tasks with Exchange, I'll stay with WinMo.

As much as I miss contact integration and SkyDrive integration, I can't see spending money on something that's missing these basic features I NEED. I was really hoping that MS would pick up the slack left from the change to WP7 but it appears I'll be waiting some more. If anybody can point to an alternative that accomplishes ALL of my requirements, feel free to chime in.

Ahn.. Why are you not on Android already? Android does all that.

I dont miss that, cause I can use a Skydrive link to send itens, and manage Skydrive files through the app. Everything I have is already in my Skydrive. So I can send files, I can file browser (didnt know about network map, this is pretty damn nice!). USB Drive is nice too, but I dont miss (Skydrive).

fatclue

Jul 15, 2010
Miami, FloriDuh
Ahn.. Why are you not on Android already? Android does all that.

I dont miss that, cause I can use a Skydrive link to send itens, and manage Skydrive files through the app. Everything I have is already in my Skydrive. So I can send files, I can file browser (didnt know about network map, this is pretty damn nice!). USB Drive is nice too, but I dont miss (Skydrive).
Really? Map network drive - no. Sync tasks w/ Exchange - hell no. Skydrive browser for Android - useless as tits on a bull. I had a Droid Pro, the best Android for Exchange and push email and I didn't have these functions.

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Agreed! iOS has always left out a feature or 2 during every new major update. Android is even worse with some last generation phones not getting any updates at all. Yet when Microsoft does it, everybody complains!

Leaving out a feature or two isn't as bad as not releasing a major update at all. Even the ancient iPhone 3GS will get iOS 6. Granted, it will not have Siri or turn-by-turn navigation like the 4S, but at least they will be able to run apps compiled for iOS 6. WP7 users won't be able to run WP8 apps, it'll effectively become a short-lived orphaned platform.

Android is a different story. Because it's open-source, as long as the manufacturer released kernel source according to GPL requirements, users smart enough to know how to compile a build of Android will be able to come out with updates for it long after the manufacturer has abandoned the device. Someone has Gingerbread running on a HTC Blue Angel (circa 2003) and is working on porting ICS to it as well.

Unless it turns out to be super amazingly great with features I absolutely can't live without, I'd be very leery about buying a WP8 device. Microsoft has set a precedent that with every major OS update, it completely abandons all existing devices.

mikeeam

May 26, 2010
Really? Map network drive - no. Sync tasks w/ Exchange - hell no. Skydrive browser for Android - useless as tits on a bull. I had a Droid Pro, the best Android for Exchange and push email and I didn't have these functions.

Naah, I didnt mean Skydrive for Android. I own a Lumia. But Android fits you better nowadays. Better than iPhone or WP, at least.

I would like to try WebOS out. Just to try. Bet it is a nice OS.

thevuman

Jan 17, 2009
Look, I don't mind that the hardware issues won't be there, cause, well, they're hardware. That's expected. Not a big deal, you knew that going in when you bought your phone.

The real stinger is the fact that WP8 apps won't work. That's some cold bloodedness. There's hardly any apps on the marketplace to begin with, when Wp8 starts, there still won't be much for 1st/2nd gen users.

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
The real stinger is the fact that WP8 apps won't work. That's some cold bloodedness. There's hardly any apps on the marketplace to begin with, when Wp8 starts, there still won't be much for 1st/2nd gen users.

What I wonder (couldn't find this info anywhere), is what happens to Windows Phone Marketplace? Will WP7.x phones have a completely separate marketplace from WP8? If not then I can see eventually they might prevent older devices from using the marketplace at all, like how they quit supporting anything older than 7.5.

Assuming most developers update their apps for WP8, how would you get old WP7 versions of your apps back on the phone if you do a hard-reset?

sitizenx

Dec 18, 2007
Leaving out a feature or two isn't as bad as not releasing a major update at all. Even the ancient iPhone 3GS will get iOS 6. Granted, it will not have Siri or turn-by-turn navigation like the 4S, but at least they will be able to run apps compiled for iOS 6.

That's an interesting statement considering this...

I haven't actually tried iOS 6 so I can't comment on the user experience...

So you totally ignore the end user experience and lambast MSFT. My Windows Phone is smooth and responsive... and I want to keep it that way. I would rather have a smooth end of life phone than have a corporation shoe horn some laggy software onto my handset. Anyway by the time Windows Phone 8 has the launch day kinks worked out of it and there are affordable handsets I will have less than a year left on my contract. I can wait.

vetvito

Dec 31, 2007
All IOS apps work on the 3GS? Thats a common misconception.

Reactions: anseio

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
So you totally ignore the end user experience and lambast MSFT. My Windows Phone is smooth and responsive... and I want to keep it that way. I would rather have a smooth end of life phone than have a corporation shoe horn some laggy software onto my handset. Anyway by the time Windows Phone 8 has the launch day kinks worked out of it and there are affordable handsets I will have less than a year left on my contract. I can wait.

We'll have to see what the actual device requirements are for WP8, but I have a feeling the reasons are more political, like a new set of "standards" that have more to do with things like number of buttons, minimum camera megapixels, or number of multitouch points. I can't imagine WP8 would be such a resource hog that it'd be a laggy mess on a 1GHz Cortex A8 SoC, but maybe it is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WP7.8 is pretty reasonable update, they should have just called it "WP8 for old phones" and everything would be fine... And I have a first-gen Samsung Omnia 7 and I'm going to buy a WP8 phone around christmas :) As well as Microsoft Surface, those seem to be pretty awesome tablets.
    Yess definitely, I will be buying.

People need to understand, in order to progress some will be left behind. Thats just how the world works.

Agreed! iOS has always left out a feature or 2 during every new major update. Android is even worse with some last generation phones not getting any updates at all. Yet when Microsoft does it, everybody complains!

I'm definitely getting a WP8 device! I can just imagine a Nokia Lumia 1000 with a 4.5" 720p ClearBlack display & dual core 1.5ghz processor!! I don't even care about the other stuff :)

Blind was buying WP7 knowing that it was old. Knowing that it didn't support multi cores, knowing that it only supported one resolution. Thats blind.

Don't be mad for Microsoft catching up with the times.

^ developers will take it seriously, native coding means a lot!

The new kernel means a lot! The old one was dead from the beginning.

MS just put a tomb stone on RIM, and are now standing on it pointing at Google and Apple saying "You're Next".