I need help with Minimal ADB and Fastboot

Search This thread

reble1

Oct 16, 2012
West Richland, Wa
I am trying to unlock the bootloader so I can root a LG Aristo 4 plus model LMX320MA.
1st off I tried "kingroot", kingoroot" and a few other one step app's. None of them worked.

I type in the cmd window "adb devices" I get the following answer:
"list of devices attached"
"LMX320980e0723 device"

Next I type in "adb reboot bootloader" and I am spouse to get on the phone that is in the screen capture that is in the Dropbox link bellow.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1u2r5eudem996w/fastboot.jpg?dl=0

instead of getting the screen that is in the Dropbox link above. The phone just boots up to the normal home screen. See the next Dropbox link bellow.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fopf8ykyyazq0dt/screen capture.jpg?dl=0
I don't know how to fix this problem in ADB- Fastboot

D

Deleted member 1890170

@reble1
Phone's stock boot image has dm-verity, which prevents you from booting if you make system modifications.

reble1

Oct 16, 2012
West Richland, Wa
I finely figured out the buttons. I found a Metro PCS/T Mobile web page with the info. It is pressing and holding the vol down button plus the power button until the 1st Metro logo comes up on the screen. Keep holding the vol down button in while releasing the power button for a sec then press and hold the power and vol down buttons until the 2nd Metro logo pops up on the screen. Then I am in. BUT it doesn't do me any good. All that screen is good for is to wipe the phone clean in the event of a soft brick and set the phone back to factory default settings. It is like wiping the hard drive clean on my Windows laptop and reinstalling the OS and everything else.
I am still stuck in rooting this phone. I understand the concept of rooting, it is like getting super administrator privileges in Windows. I am still fairly new to Android.

D

Deleted member 1890170

@reble1

Since almost a decade peoples use Chainfire's SuperSu to successfully root an Android device without any sprains. :)

BTW: To root Android doesn't require device's bootloader is unlocked.

Last edited by a moderator:

reble1

Oct 16, 2012
West Richland, Wa
jwoegerbauer. What do you mean by "dm-verity"? I went looking and I found out what "dm-verity" is. there is a few reasons as to why I want to root the phone.
1. it is a learning curve for me, it enhances my understanding of Android.
2. there is 2 annoying popups that pope up when I 1st wake up the phone. 1 is from Metro PCS, advertising, and the other is Google Chrome, the last web page that I was on. One or both pop up before I get to the home page.
3. there is a few programs that I would like to look at that require the phone to be rooted.
PS: What is a good phone or tablet that is easy to root for experimenting on?

@reble1
Phone's stock boot image has dm-verity, which prevents you from booting if you make system modifications.

Last edited:

reble1

Oct 16, 2012
West Richland, Wa
JwoegerbauerI am fairly new at Android. My vast knowledge, Starting with a Vick 20 and moving up the Commodore chain, then the MS-Dos chain and finely Windows 3.1 and up. Helps some. But I also know there is a lot of differences between Android and Windows.
Is there anyway around the dm-verity? Or am I just plain stuck with what I got?

@reble1

D

Deleted member 1890170

@reble1

Compared to Windows OS - what is a proprietary OS - Android OS is an open-source OS, means everybody can offer a modified version of it ( keyword: Lineage OS et. al ). OEMs / Carriers got tired of people trying to change the Android that came with their devices. Especially SuperSU and other one-click root enablers, XPosed Framework & Magisk Framework - 3rd-party Android modding tools that severely change the system part of Android OS - were/are such undesired candidates. Hence starting with Android 4.4.4 Google added the dm-verify ( read: Verify Boot ) - what of course on a rooted Android can get disabled. It's a cat-and-mouse game that's going on. Also Android users must know that a modded / rooted Android always can get detected, even if they think that modding / rooting happened in a hidden manner as claimed. Google, OEMs and Carriers are certainly not as stupid as some people think ....

reble1

Oct 16, 2012
West Richland, Wa
I am to the point of saying. Leaving it ASIS and put up with the browser popping up just after waking up the phone and before the home screen comes up. That was the whole exercise of this was to stop the browser from popping up between waking up the phone and the home screen coming up. And saving space by dumping blotters.

@reble1

Compared to Windows OS - what is a proprietary OS - Android OS is an open-source OS, means everybody can offer a modified version of it ( keyword: Lineage OS et. al ). OEMs / Carriers got tired of people trying to change the Android that came with their devices. Especially SuperSU and other one-click root enablers, XPosed Framework & Magisk Framework - 3rd-party Android modding tools that severely change the system part of Android OS - were/are such undesired candidates. Hence starting with Android 4.4.4 Google added the dm-verify ( read: Verify Boot ) - what of course on a rooted Android can get disabled. It's a cat-and-mouse game that's going on. Also Android users must know that a modded / rooted Android always can get detected, even if they think that modding / rooting happened in a hidden manner as claimed. Google, OEMs and Carriers are certainly not as stupid as some people think ....

LgPWN'd

Jan 18, 2019
If it was me, being an lg device I'd try to see if I could get modded lgup (dual mode)
By tchnight or the original one by astr4y4l

I'd then see if I cold get the correct dll files for it to connect to my phone.

I'd try dump option to get my firmware.
If successful
I'd rename boot_com3.mbn to boot.img
Then patch it with magisk,
Then use partitions dl option on lgup to flash that magisk_patched image renamed boot.img back to the phone...

Just my 2 cents and unless you gonna pay me for my time and Info..
I'm off the clock

reble1

Oct 16, 2012
West Richland, Wa
LgPWN'd. Sorry for the delay in the reply. I had other things to tend to that took up my time.
I am not sure i understand what you mean by "modded". If I understand it right. It would be the same as splitting a PC hard drive into 2 partitions and putting Windows 7 on 1 partition for older programs and games. And on the other partition Windows 10, right? secondly I am not worried if Metro PCS finds out that the phone has been rooted. From what I have been told Metro PCS doesn't care if the phone is rooted. Also I am assuming tchnight and astr4y4l are rooting programs? If so. Are they Android app's or Windows based programs? Also I have the correct Windows USB driver to connect my phone to my laptop.

If it was me, being an lg device I'd try to see if I could get modded lgup (dual mode)
By tchnight or the original one by astr4y4l

I'd then see if I cold get the correct dll files for it to connect to my phone.

I'd try dump option to get my firmware.
If successful
I'd rename boot_com3.mbn to boot.img
Then patch it with magisk,
Then use partitions dl option on lgup to flash that magisk_patched image renamed boot.img back to the phone...

Just my 2 cents and unless you gonna pay me for my time and Info..
I'm off the clock

reble1

Oct 16, 2012
West Richland, Wa
A PS: I just did a quick internet search for " astr4y4l" and " tchnight" . There isn't anything that I can see that has anything to do with cell phones at all.