[APP][SVC][Apr 4 2010]ReRemind V7 / Periodic audible reminders for waiting events

Search This thread

thx1200

Inactive Recognized Developer
V5 posted

- I figure this app will always be "in development" so I'm dumping the "BETA" tags since my release schedule is so informal on this app.
- Fixed bug where sometimes the startup app that starts the service sometimes isn't "silent" on some devices.
- Fixed bug where in WM 6.5 sometimes ReRemind will chime like there's a waiting reminder after snoozing a calendar reminder alarm.
- Added ability to vibrate device in addition to playing a sound.
- You can now specify that ReRemind stops reminding after a certain number of rereminders.
- AppToDate support added

iHD

Jul 10, 2009
can it be alert according to current appointment status?
because if i am on meeting....i don't want it alert me

Hope this can be added in future version.
Thanks.

jmckeejr

Aug 11, 2008
Altoona, Pa
www.mckeeflooring.com
Any way to make it show the actual notification? So I could easily see what it was notifying about. Another idea, maybe it can(upon choosing to do so in settings maybe) just read from notification registry and use the same sound as the specific notification it is sounding for. ie: if I have email it would play the same email notification sound and I would easily know what the notification was for.
Thanks a bunch for all your work. I will also post this at codeplex so it is not missed.
-jmckeejr

rojaa

Nov 24, 2008
Would it be possible to have audio alerts even if the phone's volume is turned off?

I often need to keep my phone in silent mode at work. Vibrate is useless for me as I keep my PDA in a leather case over a leather belt and I cannot feel the vibrations. So if ReRemind could deactivate silent mode during only its remind notificaton this would be perfect for me.

Thank you for your time

qanda6900

Mar 13, 2009
ReRemind

Does anyone know what Vibrate index does in the options menu?

Volume control would be nice. , and a short help file to explain the options.
Had a bit of a problem with the 24 hour clock. Why can't it be a normal 12 hour clock?

So far, no problems on the htc Touch Vogue.

thx1200

Does anyone know what Vibrate index does in the options menu?

Volume control would be nice. , and a short help file to explain the options.
Had a bit of a problem with the 24 hour clock. Why can't it be a normal 12 hour clock?

So far, no problems on the htc Touch Vogue.

Windows Mobile considers the vibrate function the same as turning an LED on and off. Depending on the device, sometimes the index of which LED is the "vibrate" LED might be different. If vibrate doesn't work, you can change this value to see if other values might work instead.

The 24 hour clock makes is the easiest way to determine AM/PM. The conversion is simple.

x PM = x + 12 on the 24 hour clock.

So, 2:00PM is 14:00.

Volume control will make it in a later version. I haven't researched how to do that yet.

tacchan23

Aug 3, 2009
Hello, everything is working fine on my Omnia2, just the reminders (calendar) aren't working at all.
I'm making a new appointment trough the calendar (with the defoult winmo reminder 15mins before the appointment time) but then i got no notice from ReRemin.
Am I doing someting wrong maybe?

Also after I tried to uninstall ReRemind, on start up I get this error message: 'The file "StartReRemindSvc" cannot be opened. If the problem persist try reinstalling or restoring this file'.
After I reinstall ReRemind I don't get the error message anymore, but it comes up again every time I uninstall ReRemind.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

thx1200

Hello, everything is working fine on my Omnia2, just the reminders (calendar) aren't working at all.
I'm making a new appointment trough the calendar (with the defoult winmo reminder 15mins before the appointment time) but then i got no notice from ReRemin.
Am I doing someting wrong maybe?

Also after I tried to uninstall ReRemind, on start up I get this error message: 'The file "StartReRemindSvc" cannot be opened. If the problem persist try reinstalling or restoring this file'.
After I reinstall ReRemind I don't get the error message anymore, but it comes up again every time I uninstall ReRemind.

Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure why the uninstaller is not removing the link, but what you need to do is just go into \Windows\Startup and delete the StartReRemindSvc.lnk file.

As for calendar reminders, re-remind only alarms if there is a missed reminder and only after the number of minutes you specify after the reminder first occurs (and then thereafter until you clear the alarm or the maximum number of re-reminds have passed) and (by default) only if the device is off.

EDIT: please indicate which WinMo version you are running as there is different code based on different versions and it may be the cause of the calendar reminders not working.

Last edited:

tacchan23

Aug 3, 2009
As for calendar reminders, re-remind only alarms if there is a missed reminder and only after the number of minutes you specify after the reminder first occurs (and then thereafter until you clear the alarm or the maximum number of re-reminds have passed) and (by default) only if the device is off.

EDIT: please indicate which WinMo version you are running as there is different code based on different versions and it may be the cause of the calendar reminders not working.

I'm using WinMo 6.1
This is what I did exactly:
1) I set an appointment at 14:00 with reminder 15mins earlier (13:45).
2) at 13:45 the winmo reminder comes with sound+vibration+disply message
3) I kept waiting untill 14:20 and there was no reminder at all from ReRemind
Note: after setting the appointment, I did put down the ppc and not even touch it untill my test was over

My settings:
- Notify while device is awake
- Interval between notification 1min
- Stop notifying after 0 notifications (no limit)

thx1200

I'm using WinMo 6.1
This is what I did exactly:
1) I set an appointment at 14:00 with reminder 15mins earlier (13:45).
2) at 13:45 the winmo reminder comes with sound+vibration+disply message
3) I kept waiting untill 14:20 and there was no reminder at all from ReRemind
Note: after setting the appointment, I did put down the ppc and not even touch it untill my test was over

My settings:
- Notify while device is awake
- Interval between notification 1min
- Stop notifying after 0 notifications (no limit)

Thanks for the info! Can you try downloading ReRemind V4 from CodePlex and let me know if it has the same issue? There's a possibility that some WM 6.5 code I put in there may be interfering with your WM 6.1 installation. Specifically, it might not be detecting your OS version correctly! Thanks.

tacchan23

Aug 3, 2009
Thanks for the info! Can you try downloading ReRemind V4 from CodePlex and let me know if it has the same issue? There's a possibility that some WM 6.5 code I put in there may be interfering with your WM 6.1 installation. Specifically, it might not be detecting your OS version correctly! Thanks.

Just installed v4. It works fine with calendar appointment reminders too.
Do you think will you be able to fix the v5?
anyway next month WinMo 6.5 should be available so maybe it's not worth the effort? (couse the problem is wm6.1 right? with winmo 6.5 everything should work fine?)
Thanks for the support:)

thx1200

Just installed v4. It works fine with calendar appointment reminders too.
Do you think will you be able to fix the v5?
anyway next month WinMo 6.5 should be available so maybe it's not worth the effort? (couse the problem is wm6.1 right? with winmo 6.5 everything should work fine?)
Thanks for the support:)

I'll fix it in V6! I'm pretty sure I know where the problem is. No word on a timeline, but I'll try to get to it soon.

tacchan23

Aug 3, 2009
I'll fix it in V6! I'm pretty sure I know where the problem is. No word on a timeline, but I'll try to get to it soon.

One more question, I don't even have any idea if it's actually possible^^... could you add an Option to override the System Volume settings? (an option to choose if ReRemind should sound even if system volum is zero)

thx1200

One more question, I don't even have any idea if it's actually possible^^... could you add an Option to override the System Volume settings? (an option to choose if ReRemind should sound even if system volum is zero)

Yes, it's possible. It's been asked before, so I really need to implement it. :)

I'll have to google, but if anybody has code off-hand to get/set the volume to the system levels (I think there are 5), I'd be much appreciative. :)

thx1200

V6 released - bug update

Release Notes
- The button control does not load for WM standard devices, so the config should be usable on them. (please test!)
- Fixed a bug where some pre-6.5 devices were incorrectly detected as post-6.5 devices. This could lead to alarm reminders not firing. SORRY!

Download at codeplex or via AppToDate:
http://reremind.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=31728

t0mmyr

Sep 14, 2007
Southern California
is there anyway to re-enforce the on screen display message for my reminders using this app? i have a bug in all the later roms i use that keeps unchecking that option in sounds & notifications

thx1200

is there anyway to re-enforce the on screen display message for my reminders using this app? i have a bug in all the later roms i use that keeps unchecking that option in sounds & notifications

ReRemind does not have that capability. I doubt I could (easily) work around it either if something else keeps flipping it the other way.

Moguledyouth

Oct 3, 2007
Addition

I was wondering if you were planning on having a browsing option for audio files as well as the possibility to set different sounds based on the event, so that a person would know what the missed event was by hearing it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Although I do read every post here in this thread, it would make my life easier if people submitted bugs and requested features on CodePlex and saved this thread more for general discussion and peer-to-peer help. Thank you!

Submit bugs on CodePlex: http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind/WorkItem/List.aspx
    Request features on CodePlex: http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind/Thread/List.aspx

Overview
    ReRemind is a simple Windows Mobile service that will play a sound at a specified interval when an event is waiting your attention. This is particularly useful for devices that lack standard amber/green notification LEDs (like the Diamond / Touch Pro), but can be used with any WM device if you want audible notifications.

CodePlex
    ReRemind development is hosted at Microsoft CodePlex! http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind

Tip Jar
    Like this app? Want more like it or quicker updates? Tip a buck (or Euro or Pound or whatever) or two to help the author out! Click here to make a safe donation via PayPal.

Current features
    - ReRemind will notify you when reminders (calendar) are active, there are missed calls, new voicemails, unread SMS, unread MMS, and/or unread email.
    - You can be reminded at any interval you specify, in minutes.
    - Rereminders can be turned off during a time span (such as overnight).
    - Play any WAV file! But sound must be less than about 10 seconds long, or it may be cut off as the device moves from UNATTENDED power state back to SUSPENDED power state.
    - Optionally vibrate device in addition to playing a sound.
    - Specify that ReRemind stops reminding after a certain number of rereminders.
    - AppToDate support
    - Very power efficient. All checks are done using the State and Notification Broker and Named Events in the notification queue. Playback is done (by default) in unattended mode. The service does not periodically "ping" because it waits for events, so it's completely idle as long as the state of the monitored events are not changing.
    - Cleans up after itself! Don't you hate it when apps use the notificaton queue but leave stale notification events lying around requiring you to run something like MemMaid to clean it up? ReRemind always checks to see if a notification is waiting when it is signalled to exit. If a notification is waiting, it clears it out.
    - TRUE SERVICE! Does NOT use one of the precious few 32 process slots on Windows Mobile. The app you see in the StartUp folder is simply to turn on the service. This is due to unsigned services being unable to autostart.
    - Can optionally work around the bug in Windows Phone 6.5 noted here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=469186

** If you edit ReRemind's settings in the registry directly, you must restart the service. This is most easily accomplished using the StopReRemindSvc and StartReRemindSvc EXEs in \Program Files\ReRemind

Planned features
    - A different WAV for each event
    - Maybe custom events by monitoring arbitrary registry locations for changes

Known Issues
    - None right now...

History - More details at CodePlex
    V7 - Added notification: unread MMS. Config app supports wav and vibration preview. Works around bug in WM6.5 where all-day reminders will not make a sound or vibrate. There are limitations, however: sound file specified in Sounds and Notifications for Reminders MUST be a WAV; AutoSnooze is not supported.
    V6.1 - Fixed a bug where VGA devices no longer could see the "select a folder" button.
    V6 - Added support for standard devices to use the config app (untested); Fixed a bug where some pre-6.1 devices detected as 6.5 devices, leading to alarm notification problems.
    V5 - Startup bug fix, WM 6.5 bug fixes, vibrate support, stop reminding after time (optional), AppToDate support.
    V4 - BETA - Fixed SMS/Email notification bugs. Deletes stale notification queue entries on startup/exit for if device crashes. Added 10 second delay to start service on boot.
    V3 - BETA - Fixed (very) minor resource leak. Silent service start options.
    V2 - ALPHA - Added Unread SMS and Email notifications. Added config app. Added messageboxes for starting/stopping service.
    V1 - ALPHA - Initial release

Detailed changelog is available on CodePlex in the notes of each version

Download
    CAB Installer: http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx
    Source Code: http://www.codeplex.com/ReRemind/SourceControl/ListDownloadableCommits.aspx

Installation
    1. Install the CAB
    2. That's it! Seriously!

Requirements
    - Windows Mobile 6.0 and newer.
    - Standard devices (no touch screen) can use the service but the config app will not work. You will need to edit the registry and restart your device to change settings.
    Hallo!

There exists a "well known" bug in WM regarding notification queue. (See http://www.thepoorhouse.org.uk/fixing_windows_mobile_task_and_event_reminders).

Fortunately I didn't have any problems with notifications under WM 2003 - 6.1 (MPX200, VDA2, X1) until I got my HTC HD mini with WM 6.5.3. :-(
    Sometimes there will be no reminder (no sound).

Now I use DotFred's Taskmanager (http://www.dotfred.net/TaskMgr.htm) to cleanup the notification queue on startup (link autostart-folder to "taskmgr.exe /nd") and CT Scheduler Lite (http://www.connectivetools.com/ctschedulerlt_ppc.html) to do this also at 12 and 17 pm.

It would be very useful, if ReRemind had such a feature to cleanup the queue (or at least call any program like TaskMgr) every time when it is going to ReRemind, because this might be because of no alarm sound by windows.

Michael

I don't have any plans to work on this project any more. I'm getting close to ending the Windows Mobile chapter of my life (bitter/sweet) and migrate to Android. As such, this is one of the projects I don't plan to continue working on as I ride off into the WM sunset (not enough time).

The source code is open source licensed and is available for download on CodePlex, so if you want to add this modification, have at it!