Xperia sl
brightess 55%

url]

url]

Last edited:

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Whenever I play "Shark Evolution" or "Jetpack joyride" in my SXS it gets too much heated. It gets upto like 43 degree celcius :eek: if I play for like 30-40 minutes. Also my battery gets drained almost 15%-20% in this time :( .

I just wanted to know that is this normak for SXS?? I have everything stock with kernel updated to .55 firmware and 4.0.4 ICS.

thanks

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Are you on stock?? what ROM you are using?

It's normal...

My battery life a few days ago:

uploadfromtaptalk1363745434681.jpg

Enought for my day. The time you see WiFi is on is when I get home from school...

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: rafsuntaskin
Mar 17, 2011
I still don't understand how people think battery life of less than 24 hours is normal.

I got my Xperia S a year ago. I was getting up to 4 days of life (not even fully discharged) with light usage. 3 days with moderate usage and at least 2 full days with heavy usage (not including games). One of the weirder fixes was to leave wifi turned on, but that only helps so much and in reality is a silly "fix". Turning something off should use LESS battery, not more.

There was an update some time ago that ended up with my battery now dying in less than a day with little usage. 70% charge at night and wake up to a dead phone.

The phone never hits deep sleep and something they updated keeps waking the phone. That's why on everyone's screenshots you see so much activity on awake, even though the screen is off most of the time.

This is very frustrating.

Reactions: skycamefalling

Dr Goodvibes

Dec 8, 2011
It is just a matter of configuration and usage that dictates the battery usage.

I haven't really worried about optimizing my XPERIA LT26i with JB 4.1.2 arriving any week now, so my phone is just stock with rooted kernel and a few SetCPU profiles.

I get a good day plus out of my battery, with the odd call, lots of web browsing/RSS reading, email and the odd SMS/MMS .

One should see good flat-line plateaus when the phone is not being used, otherwise you're just wasting your battery. :)

attachment.php

I've not had any problems with getting the XPERIA LT26i into 'deep sleep'. This is mostly the first target in getting good battery life.

The following pic does not match the above battery history as I've charged the phone since then.
attachment.php

Currently running on 6.1.A.2.55

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2011
It seems to have decent deep sleep stats, however as you can see on the usage stats, it is awake almost the entire time. Even when the screen is off for extended periods. This is what never used to happen before the updates and is what I believe is causing the battery drain.

I am just hoping that JB fixes this and that it comes out very soon.

PLovrin

Sep 14, 2012
plovrin.com
I tried FullHD video with 100% brightness connected to speakers max volume and it managed 3hours of playback.

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

Dr Goodvibes

Dec 8, 2011
It seems to have decent deep sleep stats, however as you can see on the usage stats, it is awake almost the entire time. Even when the screen is off for extended periods. This is what never used to happen before the updates and is what I believe is causing the battery drain.

I am just hoping that JB fixes this and that it comes out very soon.

True. Hurry JB, hurry, hurry.....

The top 'wakee-wakee' I noted on my XPERIA LT26i running 4.0.4 was email(~133) followed by Google Services(90).

If I look at the time held awake the top is Android System at approx 3hrs, then System(*wakelock*) followed by email.

I have push mail and imap with idle refreshes and etc so I'm sure I could refine email a bit, but if you look at Google Services or Android System processes, there is not so much you can do to limit those processes. (HDMI control service, time daemon, surfaceflinger, and etc, etc,...

If I look at my XPERIA X10i with 1800mAh battery, the history indicates the system is NOT being woken as much. And Email is the same profile on both devices as well as all the same Google Play applications.

attachment.php

attachment.php

skycamefalling

Dec 6, 2008
Austria

These permanent "awake"-phases are the same for me and it is very frustrating because nothing can be done against it. Even in Flightmode without any connection, no Facebook and no other apps working in background the phone always wakes up from deep sleep.
I really don't know which System process or included and not deinstallable bloatware is the cause for this but it keeps sucking the battery even when the phone is not in use.

For comparison:
My Sony Acro S needs 2-3% battery per hour when I leave it on the table without any background updates.
My Nokia Lumia 920 needs 0.5% battery per hour with weather, Email and Comic-Updates.

This is not acceptable. I love my Acro S but the awake-issue is better be fixed in the JellyBean update otherwise I will switch completely to WP.

tOrNadO™

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 27, 2012
Bangalore
After using Qualcomm's official battery saving app "Battery Guru", my battery backup has definitely improved.. Differences i have experienced are
1. Wakelocks have reduced. I don't lose more than 5% overnight(previously used to lose around 10-15%).
2. Also i have my Wifi ON at the time i am home.. Considering it, i can browse for another half hour extra than before.
3. Able to play games too for more time now.

I have posted the SS.. Wifi was on for around 7hrs 15min, made 3 calls, listened to music for an hour, played 3 games(NFS MW, Subway Surf & Airport City) for around 1.5 hrs max, around half hr of chatting through whatsapp..

For few who are wonderin wt settings i may be using,
Display brightness 25%, the above app i mentioned, using Stock kernel itself(bootloader locked) and XZXperience2 ROM.. Also unchecked Bravia Engine 2 OFF... Hope this helps for guys who are experiencing battery drain. The app is in themes and apps section.. Enjoy.. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-04-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-04-35.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 277
  • Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-08-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-08-19.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 265
  • Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-04-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-04-44.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 233
  • Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-04-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-04-49.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 225
  • Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-04-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-04-57.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 203
  • Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-05-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-05-09.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 193
  • Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-05-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-05-17.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 186
  • Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-06-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-06-18.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-06-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-06-32.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 185
  • Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-06-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-06-55.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-06-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-20-22-06-50.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 179

vkeza057

Sep 14, 2009
Sarajevo
The real issue

You can see my battery stats attached. Slim Bean, normal usage, MX Player for half an hour, some calls, little browsing... not much. Wifi and data were on only while browsing. The Auto-sync was off. The cpu was at 1026 MHz all the time except while playing videos when it was set to 432 MHz. Wheatley governor. The brightness was at 20-40% at first, but later I raised it to 50% because it appears to have little effect. Also, the phone was on Airplane mode from midnight to 7:30 and set to 192 Mhz! It lost 10% during that time (while it was in deep sleep).
I get similar times with Auto-sync on and cpu at stock or even OCed to 1.7

Another thing:
I've used Galaxy S before... it too had major issues with battery life... no more than a day of normal use with 10-20% overnight drain. After some time, the battery reached its full potential and the devs made incredible progress with kernels and roms which increased my battery life to 3+ days of light/normal use. I was used to loosing 1% over night. Then came Xperia S... :)

Now to the point...
Xperia S battery is adequate, it will drain more if you use it more as it is with any other smartphone. The real issue (in my opinion) is the 10+ percent overnight/idle drain. The screen is off, CPU is at min freq, Airplane mode... I've even used Deep Sleep Battery Saver a few times (not now)... the same. I can't turn it off completely because it wakes me up in the morning. :)
There is something in this Android/Qualcomm combo that just doesn't work.

All things considered, I'm removing all of the battery and cpu saving/monitoring apps, restoring stock cpu freq, setting display brightness to 50% and re-enabling the Auto-sync. I'll use/enjoy this device the way it's meant to be used and charge it every night.
It is obvious that until they fix the drain you will not get 2 days of normal/fun/pleasant/acceptable usage out of Xperia S battery.

P.S. Someone should make a guide/FAQ for people having short battery life due to inexperience. I remember the times when I used to enable every single feature on my first smart phone and wondered: what the hell is wrong with my battery. :)

P.P.S. The fact that my stats show that sometimes my phone was not awake even while the screen was on is funny.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-21-08-08-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-21-08-08-01.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Screenshot_2013-03-21-08-08-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-21-08-08-16.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

dds111

Feb 10, 2012
I tried all different roms and none of them stand more than one day. Maybe day and a half but then i must allways have my charger with me so i charge it every night.

AnrgKrshn

Sep 7, 2012
Hyderabad
I barely get 10-12 hours on XZX. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I guess I use my phone a lot more than you guys, but I really don't know... This is my only phone and I really need the battery to last longer... Will post screens soon :p

mshxer

Mar 22, 2013
Had my beautiful white S for 24 hours now. Overall very positive, except battery life so far. Drained 23 % overnight from a 100% charge. In only 7 hours :( I had NO activity. BT and WiFi on.

I hope this will improve very soon. That is a no go. Would like to hear from you about your experience regarding your new Xperia S.

Sent from my LT26i using XDA

you may try 2X battery and setcpu , I sometimes could use my XS 36 hours.
sony do not fine tune for battery life.

birnee

Nov 26, 2010
as for normal use(wifi on most off the time, few texts some calls) the phone hold 1,5 to 2 days tops. on weekends when I play with it I have to recharge ever 6-12 hours^^. days of immortal 7days-on-battery nokias are long over :]

vkeza057

Sep 14, 2009
Sarajevo
Here are the screenshots of my battery usage with no saving tweaks, no airplane mode, full sync, full freq and the same normal usage (Just so happens I used the same apps for about the same time). The difference in battery life is about 5 hours which makes no difference to me.

Finally, I flashed the last official stock GB rom (ftf) and the battery life is great. Waiting for official JB...

You can see my battery stats attached. Slim Bean, normal usage, MX Player for half an hour, some calls, little browsing... not much. Wifi and data were on only while browsing. The Auto-sync was off. The cpu was at 1026 MHz all the time except while playing videos when it was set to 432 MHz. Wheatley governor. The brightness was at 20-40% at first, but later I raised it to 50% because it appears to have little effect. Also, the phone was on Airplane mode from midnight to 7:30 and set to 192 Mhz! It lost 10% during that time (while it was in deep sleep).
I get similar times with Auto-sync on and cpu at stock or even OCed to 1.7

Another thing:
I've used Galaxy S before... it too had major issues with battery life... no more than a day of normal use with 10-20% overnight drain. After some time, the battery reached its full potential and the devs made incredible progress with kernels and roms which increased my battery life to 3+ days of light/normal use. I was used to loosing 1% over night. Then came Xperia S... :)

Now to the point...
Xperia S battery is adequate, it will drain more if you use it more as it is with any other smartphone. The real issue (in my opinion) is the 10+ percent overnight/idle drain. The screen is off, CPU is at min freq, Airplane mode... I've even used Deep Sleep Battery Saver a few times (not now)... the same. I can't turn it off completely because it wakes me up in the morning. :)
There is something in this Android/Qualcomm combo that just doesn't work.

All things considered, I'm removing all of the battery and cpu saving/monitoring apps, restoring stock cpu freq, setting display brightness to 50% and re-enabling the Auto-sync. I'll use/enjoy this device the way it's meant to be used and charge it every night.
It is obvious that until they fix the drain you will not get 2 days of normal/fun/pleasant/acceptable usage out of Xperia S battery.

P.S. Someone should make a guide/FAQ for people having short battery life due to inexperience. I remember the times when I used to enable every single feature on my first smart phone and wondered: what the hell is wrong with my battery. :)

P.P.S. The fact that my stats show that sometimes my phone was not awake even while the screen was on is funny.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-22-16-37-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-22-16-37-08.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 500
  • Screenshot_2013-03-22-16-37-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-22-16-37-17.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:

di3z™

Mar 22, 2013
Sent from my Xperia SL using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364535990885.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364535990885.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 349
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364536009233.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364536009233.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 347

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just did some tests on browsing time 15% brightness vs. 50% brightness and got some interesting results.

I did test in Dolphin with "tab reload" add-on set on 1minute. The site I was reloading was technobuffalo which is really heavy to load. But before testing brightness I was curious what is difference in battery usage desktop vs. mobile website on 50% brightness. And the difference was really obvious.

Desktop site was so power consuming, that the phone got a bit hot. And in 30 minutes it ate 15% of battery. So, 3 hours of browsing and only 10% to spare.

But luckily mobile sites are a lot friendlier. In 30 minutes 12% on 50% brightness, so 4 hours of browsing and 4% to spare. But the most interesting part was when I changed the brightness to 15% and I got the exact same results. 30 minutes 12%...

And then I wanted to isolate web browsing so I tried the same tests in airplane mode in case of mobile network eating battery.
    Without network connection half an hour of browsing mobile sites ate 10% of battery with 50% brightness. So, exactly 5 hours of browsing to 0%. But what happens with 15% brightness? Nothing much, 30 minutes 9%. That means 5 hours and 10% to spare, or 5 hours and 30 minutes and 1% left.

Is it really worth to hurt your eyes on 15%???
    Do you know what? It irritates me reading you people moaning about battery life, it's a high definition phone with an awesome screen, if you want your battery to last a few days, go get a cheap phone that does nothing but txt and calls:mad:

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda premium
    As I said I did battery tests with the new Jelly Bean in web browsing and video playback and I must say that difference is really really obvious.

I did the same tests as before with ICS and compared them.

All my tests in browsing were done in dolphin browser with auto reload plugin put on 1 min reload. Website I tested was TechnoBuffalo because it is quite a heavy load. Brightness was at 50%.

To quicky freshen up, my previous results with ICS are found here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37103064 and I will include them for easier comparison.

In ICS browsing desktop pages was really battery consuming so the first test I did was this.
    Half an hour of reloading desktop version of TechnoBuffalo every minute did consume 15% in ICS. So in 3 hours 90% would be gone, not a very good result.

But in Jelly Bean the same test ate only 10% of battery. Pretty good improvment right? 1 hour 20% so 5 hours till the phone dies. Almost 2 hours of improvement which is really great.

screenshot2013-05-30-18-.png
    screenshot2013-05-30-18-.png

And next is mobile version. My previous result on ICS was 12% in 30 minutes so in 4 hours you would be left with 4%. Not that good but at least better than desktop sites.

Result in Jelly Bean was so surprising that I had to redo the test once more, because I couldn't believe my eyes. In 30 minutes only 7% of battery was gone so 1 hour 14% and if we calculate, we get 7 hours with 2% to spare. WOW, right? This is whole 3 hours more which is pretty huge improvment.

screenshot2013-05-30-19-.png
    screenshot2013-05-30-19-.png

And I got curious what would really heavy load do to battery usage. I did another test with the same mobile version but with 15 second reload which is pretty hard because it loads almost all the time. It loads the page and there it goes again.
    The results aro also pretty good. 10% in 30 minutes so basically the same as desktop site - 5 hours of browsing but I don't know who would load new page every few seconds in real life.

screenshot2013-05-31-01-.png
    screenshot2013-05-31-01-.png

Last test was video playback. I tried 720p video in mp4 and mkv to see if there is any difference. And I also tried if there is any difference between Sony's movie player and BS player. But in all tests I got the same result - 9% in half an hour. So 5 hours with 10% to spare. In ICS I got same 5 hours but with 0% to spare so some improvment is there but not that amazing as web browsing.

screenshot2013-05-30-22-.png
    screenshot2013-05-30-22-.png

So Jelly Bean is a massive improvment in terms of battery usage comparing to ICS and I am really happy with it.
    You guys should've bought the Xperia SP, S is sooo outdated and weak

You're absolutely right, I should've hopped on my time machine, gone to the future, and gotten that phone

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I m gone... stay with your beautyfull piece of ... and stay at least two years behind good technology... lol. Bye bye looser.
    |
    |

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Virgin detected.
    Fap less, read more.

Desde el celular.