rtmpdump 2.0 for Android

Search This thread

travisn000

Oct 13, 2007
I was considering trying to set this up and wanted to clarify a few things before I jump in..

Does this still work for h,u,l.u?

Where is ffmpeg at these days regarding this use? Do I still need to use svn and patch it for use on the host / server (Currently I have v0.6 on linux)? I'm planning on setting up the CGI script method.

Also, how do get ffmpeg/ffserver on my android phone (Droid X, froyo 2.2, rooted)?

Please include links for all the correct files (..there are quite a few scattered throughout this thread.. just want to make sure I'm using all the right stuff!).

Thanks!

Last edited:

stiltzkin

Dec 16, 2009
My apologies if my bumping of this rather stale thread is frowned upon, but I didn't find anywhere else appropriate to discuss this. I'm trying to get this to work and I'm close but hitting a snag.

It appears that Hulu has changed the location of the pid (?) for their videos - something about it being in either the cipher or key, but not both anymore. The error generated by the hulupub script is:

Code:
wrong key length: key must be 128, 192 or 256 bits long at hulupub line 45.

Regardless, I did some Googling and came up with this page, which has a patchfile that reportedly fixes the issue. I noticed that the syntax in the patch is quite similar to that used in highlandsun's script (line 45). I don't know nearly enough about Perl to patch it up myself, but my suspicion is that this is probably an easy fix and the script would be rendered usable again. If anyone knows how to do this I'd be extremely grateful. This kind of solution appears to be one of the only remaining ways to get unencumbered Hulu streams on Android, now that they are blocking browsers by Flash version instead of user agent.

Last edited:

stiltzkin

Dec 16, 2009
I think I'm getting closer. I managed to patch up the script - I hope I did it right - and it looks like it processes the video page correctly now. However, it still fails to play back the stream. I've attached both the patched hulupub and the output I get after trying it on the following test URL:

Code:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/214748/the-office-pda#s-p1-so-i0

Attachments

• output.txt
    44.1 KB · Views: 38
  • hulupub-patched.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 39

highlandsun

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
Yes, the get-flash-videos plugin is derived from my script as well, but those guys have been doing a better job of maintaining it after I gave it to them. I haven't updated the original script in months, and haven't tracked any of the changes since then.

stiltzkin

Dec 16, 2009
Yes, the get-flash-videos plugin is derived from my script as well, but those guys have been doing a better job of maintaining it after I gave it to them. I haven't updated the original script in months, and haven't tracked any of the changes since then.

Thanks very much for your reply. I'm just curious though: do you have any idea what's causing the script to fail now? Specifically I'm wondering whether Hulu is actively using some DRM method to prevent streaming at this point (the Hulu module for get-flash-videos seems to have been removed in the latest version?) or whether they've simply changed their site to such an extent that this is no longer possible without other significant changes.

In other words, do you think there's any way to get this working again?

highlandsun

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
The get-flash-videos plugin still works fine. Hulu can only obfuscate things so much; a regular Flash client can still get access without any sort of authentication or credentials therefore there is no DRM at work. Anyone with a network sniffer can unravel their obfuscation no matter how they change it.

stiltzkin

Dec 16, 2009
The get-flash-videos plugin still works fine. Hulu can only obfuscate things so much; a regular Flash client can still get access without any sort of authentication or credentials therefore there is no DRM at work. Anyone with a network sniffer can unravel their obfuscation no matter how they change it.

My mistake, I see that get-flash-videos is working now; looks like you just have to add the plugin separately. I was able to download a video with it perfectly. But how can I make this work with your ffserver solution, in terms of requesting the video with your CGI script from my phone and getting it to stream from the desktop? Obviously I could issue the command on the downloaded file if I was sitting at my computer, but I'm not sure how/if this works on-the-go.

stiltzkin

Dec 16, 2009
This is a developers' forum. I provided source code for fellow developers to learn from and run with. If you don't know perl then I have nothing for you.

I'm well aware that this is a developer forum (it's in the name). And I am a dev, but my area of expertise is not in Perl and I'm not familiar with the way your script works - that's the only reason I was asking for some insight. Thanks anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just for grins I've compiled the latest rtmpdump source using the Android 1.5 SDK. I guess it's not much use yet since we still don't have good playback of FLV files, but maybe someone here will find a good use for it.

The source code is from http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/ This is from the 2.0 C code, not the 1.x C++ code, so it's smaller and faster...
    rtmpdump-2.1.zip

This is a fresh build of rtmpdump 2.1. Read the README for details. It contains 4 programs:

rtmpdump - the client
    rtmpsrv - a stub server, used mainly for displaying what other clients are doing
    rtmpsuck - a transparent proxy, used to intercept a client stream and save it to disk while relaying to the client
    streams - an HTTP gateway, serves RTMP streams via HTTP