Rooting the Captivate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Balthazar B

Jul 11, 2010
QQ regarding this:

Are all SGS devices sufficiently similar enough such that a custom ROM for one (say the VzW Fascinate, or a Euro version) will be directly usable by others, or will what differences there are in hardware build (e.g., internal memory, camera flash vs. none, etc.) fragment efforts in the developer community enough that custom ROMs will be slower to achieve?

The Captivate intrigues me since an unlocked version should be very usable in Europe (and for getting rid of ATT bloatware as well as all the other fixes a rooted phone is likely to get before ATT bothers to do so).

P

pongothemagnificent

They should all be the exact same internally, meaning the same rooting procedure of the european galaxy S, should also apply on the att version or any other version for that matter, and i hope so cause on the 18th im getting a captive woot =]

warri

Jan 9, 2009
Palm Beach Gardens
They should all be the exact same internally, meaning the same rooting procedure of the european galaxy S, should also apply on the att version or any other version for that matter, and i hope so cause on the 18th im getting a captive woot =]

im getting a captivate too, however, there are some differences between the hardware and internal guts between the phones. To name a few, Storage Space, Flash for rear camera, and the front facing camera.

These could affect the internal guts/firmware on the device.

But lets hope we can get a sweet and fast root

P

pongothemagnificent

Non of the gsm versions have flash beside the camera, ROM capacity and the front facing camera hardware have nothing to do with the rooting of any android device, im almost 100% that the european samsung galaxy S rooting procedure will work on any other samsung galaxy S variation.

Last edited:

Balthazar B

Jul 11, 2010
We'll know soon enough...perhaps even within a week of the Captivate's release (hey, that's an interesting play on words).

dseo80

May 13, 2010
The rooting procedure will work - however the recovery mode my be crippled as the M110S (Korea) version is. Need to wait for a custom recovery - or use ODIN to flash.

But if you dont have backup of the old firmware it might be more difficult to root.

Anyways the samsung version of android is in general pretty easy to root. (no locked bootloader etc)

TexUs

Jul 1, 2010
For all intents and purposes the Vibrant/Captivate should be identical in every aspect except for accessories. (Wonders why those forums weren't just merged together). TMobile's 3G bands are different, too.

chaoscentral

Feb 28, 2009
Revere, MA
Here is the edited and signed root update. Anyone with a Captivate care to try? It's the Vibrant root with the AT&T model added, so it should work

For reference the Captivate is the SGH-I897

so rename this to update.zip place in the root of the SD connect to adb and type adb reboot recovery and select "Reinstall Packages" using the volume keys and power to select

EDIT: removed the update.zip please see this post for the updated one

Last edited:

zakdeutsch

Aug 4, 2006
tried the signed update.zip and it didn't work for me.

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 301

Drachen

Feb 21, 2006
NYC
@chaoscentral - I think your updater script is using DOS-style CRLF end of line characters. Try changing it to LF.

@zakdeutsch - Is that a Fascinate? I see ro.build.fingerprint = "verizon..."

chaoscentral

Feb 28, 2009
Revere, MA
Anyone wanna give this one a try? I had edited the update script in wordpad before which I'm sure added some kind of funky formatting. So I made this one in ubuntu and signed it in windows(since I cant figure that one out in ubuntu)

This should work though, and keep in mind it only has the model numbers for the Captivate, no fascinate or epic 4g or vibrant

M

Muhamadabdelaall

Hi to All,

Is it feasible now to install the Nexus One Android 2.2 on the Captivate?

Thanks

Drachen

Feb 21, 2006
NYC
Is it feasible now to install the Nexus One Android 2.2 on the Captivate?

No. I don't even know if anyone has even had a good look at the Captivate bootloader yet. Reportedly there is a FroYo ROM dropping very soon for the Korean Galaxy S and possibly soon for the US versions as well. Bodes well for getting 2.2 on the phone in the not-so-distant future. Probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.