[Q] Galaxy Tab vs iPad 2?

Search This thread

henreeg

Aug 31, 2010
Miami
Sone of you had awesome responses... I'll bookmark this topic to come back to it.
I clicked thanks to those with great information. (although it may not be much... but really... Thank you!)
I really appreciate it fellas! Thanks!

vsc

Mar 3, 2006
The fact that Honeycomb doesn't have many good apps and Tegra 2 seems pretty poor overall (poor video/codec playing, maybe be an OS issue though) I would get an iPad. It will just be a smoother/better experience.

I got involved with Tegra2, starting with the G-Tablet late last year, where I was the person who solved the Nvidia kernel issues involving failure to restore critical information on resume from sleep, etc. In short Nvidia's kernel implementation is overly complex and ultimately buggy. The silicon from a capabilities point of view, especially inheriting aspects of the GPU from their mobile range, is interesting. But in the end the overall system offered to the OEM is lacking. For a fact Motorola didn't use a large portion of Nvidia's code base.

On a similar note while it takes some time to survey the Tegra2 implementations, one will find similar problems, with differing degree, across the range of products currently on the market.

In my case I decided to steer my company away from Nvidia after an evaluation of Tegra2. It is unclear if Nvidia will get their act together in the next six months. Thus I'm rather curious to see where Google and the tablet market winds up by the end of this year with respect to Nvidia.

Obsessive

Jun 27, 2011
My wife uses an Ipad2 and I use an GT 10.1. I can tell you that I am happy with my decision to go with the GT and not an ipad. The fact that you can customize the UI on the GT hooked me. I got tired of looking at the same boring UI on the ipad2 where you see nothing but the apps.

the widgets are great, and live wallpapers are fun as well! I use my GT mostly for web browsing and short of the keyboard lag I'm quite pleased with the performance.

the app selection is pretty good for the GT and will continue to grow so I'm not worried.

matthenry87

Feb 24, 2009
Denver
Personally I prefer my tab over my moms iPad2. Sure some of the apps on the ipad are better quality at the moment but I think its only a matter of time before Android catches up. The flexibility of the OS is what I like. The ability to swap out keyboards, browsers, and even home screens allows me to make my tab -my- tab. When I show my ipad friends my thumb and swype keyboards they get jealous for sure.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

woodat

Aug 28, 2010
...And a 4:3 screen is a no go. Every media is made for 16:9 or 16:10, have fun watching movies on that. Ipad2 feels like an ancient TV.

Besides books and other reading. I'm personally still not sold that this is the best form factor simply because it isn't paper shaped. And personally I'd rather not have to hold my TV the entire time I'm watching something. But then I don't watch much stuff anyway so perhaps I'm not the best judge on this matter.

But the android os is where this thing (and other android tablets) shines. Where it took me two hours of fighting my Ipad to load on a bunch of docos for reading it took me all of 15 seconds on my tab20 here.

I think the best way of summing it up is if you want a multimedia entertainment centre then currently the ipad is winning currently. But if you want to do lots of more day-to-day stuff and have the power to actually do so without a constant struggle then the android tabs are the place to be. Plus we do the internet better as well. ;)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App

poorlilpoop

Apr 1, 2011
I guess it really depend on your personal preference, and what you want to do it. I own ipad 2 and gtab 10.1. I think ipad 2 is better for entertainment and got crap load of good games. iOS has been around for very long time, so it's solid and stable. At the same token, I think it's boring, and I get tire of looking at the same thing. Sure, you can jailbreak it but still limited on what you can do. (so far Ipad 2 hasn't been jailbreak yet.) Also, Ipad 2 seems to give people some social status. Right now, my girlfriend owns the Ipad.

Personally, I like the GTab. I never owned android phone either. I always had an Iphone. I wanted to try android but never got a chance until now. I love it. There is so much I can do. Hell, I'm going to load Linux and try out it too. Although I have to agree about the keyboard lag, sometimes it's aggravating. Ipad has much better response to touch.

Being in this forum, you will get lot of praise for Gtab. For average use, and entertainment, I would recommend Ipad. If you just want to use in-house, built-in capability and not care to go beyond, Ipad might be better choice. App store does offer some good apps, and games.

If you're into tinkering, and want to see what you can do with the device, Gtab would be recommended. I love the new and exciting. It’s so customizable. And I’m sure given time, tegra zone will put out excellent games, and apps made for tabs.

Reactions: beaker2007

Ansextra

Mar 1, 2011
Central NJ
I honestly dislike all the shortcuts on iOS. I can never find anything I'm looking for. I much prefer widgets and more customizing.

beaker2007

Jun 28, 2011
gainesville
Lag & video playback

I've been using video playback on my GT 10.1 since the day I got it with no lag issues at all, BUT I've also been watching DVD-quality files. I also followed the encoding guide in another thread too (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1060825... granted it's not optimized for a GT 10.1, but it works).

The picture is pretty nice with the DVD quality source files (the system does a pretty good job upscaling the picture), so I'm not complaining as of right now. I will download an HD movie tonight & see how the performance is affected.

As for keyboard lag, I just downloaded the Opera browser & haven't had any trouble SO FAR. In fact, I like it so much, I deleted Dolphin and the shortcut for the stock browser. I also have been completely satisfied with Flash as well. As for the native apps (Gmail, Quickoffice), there really hasn't been any lag with them at all.

SR45

May 26, 2011
I laugh at this comment because androids tablets apps are lacking in BOTH QUALITY and QUANTITY. Seriously dude you set ursrlf up for that.
Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

Actually I have not. I don't own a tab as of yet, since none of them are ready for prime time. The new Transformer 2 is coming out in October with Tegra 3 and Ice Cream, so I'll wait and see on that one and some good apps. However, there are a few good apps, just not many. Since I doubt you have played with all the android apps, I kind of laugh at what you wrote. :p You cannot say with authority that all android apps are bad, now can you ? Whoops, you set yourself up on that one

MisterEdF

Apr 29, 2010
Florida USA
I've had both. the iTampon 2 is riddled with screen problems. I wouldn't pay 500 bucks for it. It does have more apps... but let's be honest..... how many apps do you really need?
Well, if I really need ONE and it isn't there it might as well be a million. The chances of that ONE being on an iPad and NOT an Android is far higher than the opposite.

That being said I never used an iPad except for 30 seconds in an Apple store and I own a 10.1 which I really like. You do have to admit, for the foreseeable future, 99.999% of the time IOS will always be the first to get apps.

Also I really dislike "square" format devices. That is so 90's.

HawaiianLaker

Nov 21, 2010
i have the 10.1 and love it! not that i dont like apple or think its a great platform its just not my cup of tea. the nice thing about the 10.1 is all the issues it has are SOFTWARE related. the ipad will not get any better... and for something like honeycomb that is still in develpoment to be beating the ipad which is at its peak in certain aspects is amazing to me. i love how open android is and for that matter the possiblities are endless. Sky is the limit for android and with apple your stuck inside you house caged and locked up, but some people like that.

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010
Check the support forums at the Apple site. Sure hasn't.

I picked up an iPad 2 today (still have the GT 10.1).

Dear god, you are right. The iPad 2 I got at Target has really bad backlight bleeding. I don't even need to go into a dark room or turn up the brightness to see how obvious it is. I thought Apple's quality was suppose to be better than this. :(

verusevo

Jun 23, 2010
Actually I have not. I don't own a tab as of yet, since none of them are ready for prime time. The new Transformer 2 is coming out in October with Tegra 3 and Ice Cream, so I'll wait and see on that one and some good apps. However, there are a few good apps, just not many. Since I doubt you have played with all the android apps, I kind of laugh at what you wrote. :p You cannot say with authority that all android apps are bad, now can you ? Whoops, you set yourself up on that one

This is true i haven't played with EVERY single app. But if you were anyone reading this forum would you take the word of a person who has both a TAB 10.1 and an IPAD and has also owned and returned a XOOM (me) or the eternal optimist who is so confident about the potential quality of android tablet apps that he's deciding to wait for te next Gen of tablet and OS instead of jumping in head first with the rest of us in the present(you)

Last edited:

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010

I've been using the iPad about a year and been using Android tablets for quite a few months as well. I've been using the Xoom, Transformer, and now Galaxy Tab 10.1 for a few weeks. And I just got home with an iPad 2 to play around with for a bit.

I have absolutely no hesitation in saying it's common for iOS versions of apps found on both platforms to have more features and better quality. But that is totally expected considering iPad has had a year head start on Honeycomb. So I'm not really sure how you can argue this isn't the case.

Dropbox
Taptu
Tweetdeck
Tune In Radio
TWiT.tv
VEVO
Pandora
...are just the a handful of examples I've installed on both and are much better on the iPad.

I don't need to try every Android and iOS application to see the logical. There are 100,000 tablet optimized apps on iOS, while Android still numbers in the hundreds. Android is way behind. Why would it be surprising developers porting apps to Android half-assed some of their efforts?

haas599

Oct 8, 2010
Galaxy Tab can watch TwiT network live stream in the browser.

Apple can argue the need for flash on a phone, but on a tablet with a huge screen and a huge battery there is no debate.

Galaxy Tab hardware is better than ipad2 hardware.

Most of the problems with the GT are software related and will be worked out in time. I really doubt the ipad2 will ever get flash or magically get thinner or lighter or suddenly have more pixels.

Last edited:

cdf3

Mar 15, 2011
I've been using the iPad about a year and been using Android tablets for quite a few months as well. I've been using the Xoom, Transformer, and now Galaxy Tab 10.1 for a few weeks. And I just got home with an iPad 2 to play around with for a bit.

I have absolutely no hesitation in saying it's common for iOS versions of apps found on both platforms to have more features and better quality. But that is totally expected considering iPad has had a year head start on Honeycomb. So I'm not really sure how you can argue this isn't the case.

Dropbox
Taptu
Tweetdeck
Tune In Radio
TWiT.tv
VEVO
Pandora
...are just the a handful of examples I've installed on both and are much better on the iPad.

I don't need to try every Android and iOS application to see the logical. There are 100,000 tablet optimized apps on iOS, while Android still numbers in the hundreds. Android is way behind. Why would it be surprising developers porting apps to Android half-assed some of their efforts?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I was unable to edit and make changes to my documents on the fly with Dropbox for iOS.
I can however, using the version for Android on my phone and tablet,.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

lordwinkevin

Jun 21, 2011
I agree. iOS had a head start and developers generate more money on iOS than android devices.

I expect that to change because of the vast amounts of android devices being launched and sold.

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010
Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I was unable to edit and make changes to my documents on the fly with Dropbox for iOS.
I can however, using the version for Android on my phone and tablet,.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

That one is iOS's fault, due to it's goofy hidden file system that doesn't like sharing files between apps. So you have to send the file to another app first, edit it, then upload it back to Dropbox. Android, because of it's file system (love this about Android) is much easier in this regard.

But I don't really edit files in my dropbox, so I missed that being a positive on the android side. I just use it mostly to transfer music, pictures, or just to view text/pdfs, etc.

So why I like dropbox more on the iPad is because of it's dual pane views and ability to view files without downloading them. Really wish they'd make dropbox more Honeycomb friendly. It'll happen I'm sure. The waiting sucks though.

I also hear developers might be waiting on Android 4. Right now Honeycomb apps seem to be trickling in, so it seems like this might be the case. Android 4.0 will add new API's that will make it easier to right apps optimized for both phone and tablets.
http://www.mobilityfeeds.com/mobili...apps-for-honeycomb-google-android-tablet.html

superhotluv

Sep 27, 2010
honeycomb really suck balls! i have to have 3 different browsers installed to do what a normal browser does

firefox to download stuff (if u disagree, try using some other browser to download from filesonic/hotfiles)

skyfire to view flash sites

and the ever temperamental stock browser

why am i able to do the above with any browser froyo/gingerbread but not honeycomb?

typing in username/password is a nightmare, tap a key --> wait for the character to appear --> type the next key.. honestly if u want to try out android, get yourself an android phone, avoid honeycomb tablets for the time being

Sorry if I get this wrong, but is this something to do with GT 10.1 or HC in general. I have tried HC in Acer IConia A500, and surfing is a breeze with the stock browser. Although I haven't bought any tab yet, and am planning to buy GT 10.1 soon. If the problems you have suggested of sluggish experience, could be on the tabs with high colors capability, viz. Motorola Xoom and GT 10.1 both support 1280x800 with 16M colors, whereas Acer Iconia supports 1280x800 with only 256K colors. To add to this, XOOM shows the same sluggish experience, as you have mentioned here with GT 10.1. ..........:confused:

We need more research on this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am still so much on the fence about the GT 10.1 I have a hard time even trying to formulate a reply to this. As I think I go back and forth every 5 minutes.

GT 10.1
    + Android is open, open file system, third party app stores/markets.
    + Wide screen display, higher resolution, and stereo speakers great for videos.
    + Highly customizable with widgets.
    + XDA community usually does great job with custom ROMs.
    + Google apps and Amazon CloudDrive and App Store are great.
    - Android 3 is a rush job, screen response not great (not bad either), keyboard lag.
    - App crashes and random reboots rare, but happen more than they should.
    - Tablet app select still small, and Android app versions sometimes inferior to iOS.
    - Uncertainty when Samsung might push the Android 4.0 update, they've been ver slow in the past.
    - No Netflix :(

iPad 2 (I own an iPad 1, so this is mostly about iOS)
    + Over a year head start in tablets, lots of quality apps.
    + iOS versions of some apps are better, Tweetdeck, Tune In Radio, Taptu, etc.
    + Netflix, Hulu Plus (don't care for Hulu, but really miss Netflix on my GT 10.1)
    + iOS very responsive and smooth.
    + Square screen ratio nice for browsing, ebooks.
    + Apple makes software and hardware, so dependable updates.
    - No file system access, must use iTunes (usually) to transfer files.
    - Google, YouTube apps sucks on iOS.
    - No third party application markets (no good Jailbreak for iPad 2, so no Cydia).
    - Lower res display, 512MB of RAM.
    My mom have the iPad 2 and I love Honeycomb but when compared to iOS its missing a whole lot, especially on apps.

Honeycomb is a new OS for tablets and I see it growing in the future and apps are slowly being ported and optimized for Honeycomb tablets. iOS has been in the market for a while and honeycomb has got some catching up to do.

Buy a tablet for what it is now instead of expecting something out of it and just getting frustrated waiting for an app. I bout a zune HD thinking it will go toe to toe with the iPod touch but was just disappointed and ended up selling it and buying the iPod touch.

Other than the infamous lag when typing in forums, keyboard speed is fine in every application I've used so far. For some the forum thing is a big deal, and I've worked around it for now by using a remote desktop app if I really feel the need to post an essay using the tab, but obviously that isn't ideal.

As for the keyboard itself, there are plenty to choose from. Swiftkey, Thumb Keyboard and Swype are all excellent alternatives if you don't like the stock HC keyboard or the Samsung one.

The tab comes with Quick Office pre-installed and that will do the job if you want to take notes and read documents. There are about a half dozen office suites and each have their pro's and con's, if you want to learn more about them there is a good comparison thread over at the Asus Transformer forums. They all have a ways to go though before they're suitable for real work with documents however.

For IT, I imagine apps like LogMeIn, Wyse Pocket Cloud, Overlook Fing, andSMB, SharesFinder, ASProxy, Connect Bot, etc would be useful.
    to give you an honest answer stick with the Ipad. Everyone on here will try to give you a reach around about why the TAB is so great. But quite frankly in its current state its not. I'm typing this on my tab right now and am getting pissed that my words are showing up well after I press the keys. There are NO USEFULL ANDROID TABLET APPS available at this time. You want proof. Go to the marketplace and see if you van even tell the difference between what is a table app and what isn't. Some tablet apps even have disclaimers stating they aren't even compatible with the GT yet. I purchased my tab because I'm believing in the Modding community will one day provide me with the goodies I crave for use on what is a very (hardware) capable device. But if you want somethingthat just works right now... get an IPAD.
    Hey Fellas,

I'm currently an iPad 2 user. I have a Galaxy S phone (which I love) and won't give it up for an iPhone. I was considering buying a Tab... but I didn't have much of a choice when the iPad 2 came out.
    Today I ran into a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (it was AMAZING) and I'm thinking about returning my iPad 2.
    Would anyone recommend this?
    I love the Android OS. I chose the iOS because of the amount of useful school/work apps it has. [IT field].
    Another question is... does anyone here own both [or tried both the iPad 2 AND the G Tab]? I have to say that the iPad 2 keyboard was much smoother than the Galaxy Tab.
    I tried it quick.. I didn't have much time to play with it. I thought the keyboard wasn't as fast.

How about school/IT apps?

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

My friend owns the iPad/iPad 2 and I use them regularly when I'm at his house as he has multiple. I own a Galaxy Tab 7" and 10.1 myself. Here's my personal opinion:

The iPad had a significant build quality difference between it and the 7" Tab. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 corrects this, but it's still very difficult to beat a uniform metal structure versus a plastic one. This will boil down to whether you prefer a higher build quality, or a lighter device. The 10.1 is way lighter, the iPad 2's build quality is better.

As far as applications go... iOS tablet-centric apps blows Android out of the water. There is no denying this. You can still get any application you need on both platforms, but the higher resolution ones on the iPad are way more numerous. Here's to hoping this changes soon for Honeycomb.

As far as operating systems go... Honeycomb is ages beyond iOS in terms of a more desktop-like feel on a Tablet and less of a phone-like feel. iOS 5 does little to correct this. You will find the OS itself much more pleasant on a Honeycomb tablet.

Hardware: The processor in the iPad 2 is fast. The processor in the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is fast. I don't see any speed differences between the two, except for the browser. The lead Google put in Android 2.2 shows heavily with the UI optimized for Tablets. Also, the Tegra 2 processor is the first processor I can say having Flash is a definitive advantage. I can stream HD videos from Flash sources on the web (ABC, Crunchyroll, etc) with very little to no stuttering. Props to NVidia here. I could probably do a video for you, if you were interested.

The back camera on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is far superior, though I don't think you'll be using it very often when cameras on phones are smaller and easier to use. Just my opinion.

Last but not least: I really dislike the iPad (iOS 4) and Google's default keyboard on Tablets. They are extremely hard to use while handling the device. I use Swiftkey Tablet X on my 7" and 10.1" Tab and LOVE it. If you keep your iPad 2 I really suggest you get iOS 5 on it to take advantage of the split keyboard effect. It makes typing far easier. If you do go back and get a Google-based Tab, drop their crappy keyboard and get Swiftkey X. It's in beta - I can send you the apk if you do end up going that route. Just PM me.

[Edit] Quick edit after reading Ravynmagi's post - not having Netflix is a HUGE HUGE bummer. There's no word on it coming to Honeycomb either, so don't hold your breath[/Edit]